Lowes vs Home Depot

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lthenderson

Re: Lowes vs Home Depot

Post by lthenderson »

Neither if I can help it. If I need plumbing, I go to a local plumbing supply place. If I need hardware, I go to a local hardware store. If I need lumber, I go to a local lumber yard. If I need tools, I generally order higher quality tools than are typically stocked at big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

I find the knowledge base at the local independent stores to be much higher and I generally save repeat trips to get the correct fitting, hardware, etc. I also find they typically carry better quality stuff than the bottom of the line consumer grade stuff carried at the big box stores. For hardwood lumber, I have access to a local Amish sawmill. Generally I pay 1/3 to 1/2 of what Lowes and Home Depot charge. For softwood material, the price is about the same to a little higher but I don't have to sort through a huge pile of twisted, knotty lumber that has been sorted by the previous 100 shoppers. For paints, I go to a paint store. I bought a gallon of store brand paint from a Menards for a small project about a year ago to use up a coupon and was reminded why I hadn't bought any paint there for the previous decade. It took four coats to look as good as one coat of paint from Sherwin Williams store brand paint.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Customer service seems to vary by locations of each store. You're only as good as your people. Happens to be Lowes for me. Although I occasionally shop at Home Depot.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

My experience has been that once you are fairly familiar where items are located in each store that the choice depends on the particular store. Some have much better customer service than others, but the stock seems to be very similar. I agree that Lowe's has a better presentation than HD.

Tim
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

rjbraun wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm
brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am
RCL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am The Lowes in my area gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones.
If you have a myLowes card(loyalty card type thing), you can verify/add your veteran status to it and just scan the card versus carry around a 214 and ask for a discount. myLowes also tracks your purchases which can come in handy if you lost a receipt.

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register?context=military
Is the MyLowes card truly *free*? I am not trying to get a veteran or other discount, simply trying to get free shipping. My neighborhood Lowe's doesn't seem to stock the common household good I want, though I don't feel like paying $6 in shipping as I'm in no particular rush to obtain it.

"Free shipping" sounds too good to be true, unless Lowe's has a special promotion going on. I am trying to avoid registering only to get snookered into a program that won't actually provide for free shipping.

Anyone with experience here? Thanks in advance!

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register? ... l_Shipping
Update: I just registered (actually, I was already registered on the Lowe's site, and I guess my account is now "MyLowes"). Anyway, looks as if Lowe's now offers free shipping, at least for small bottles of household stuff - I doubt it applies to bulky, heavy purchases, but I'm not complaining. Pretty nice.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

Pretty much any associate at a Home Depot can give you $50 off a purchase, if you're buying enough. I do my casual shopping at Lowe's because it's closer, but if it's an expensive purchase, I go to Home Depot and try to get the $50 off and use a 10% Lowe's coupon. Most stores will honor competitor coupons. I recently got $50 off a $330 purchase, which is more than 10% off. Lowe's coupons are easy to obtain.
rob

Post by rob »

I used both until Lowes cheated my on a dishwasher & install.... Starting with incompetence & lies about the real costs and ending with no interest from higher ups to address issues. I cannot recommend enough to buy stuff elsewhere! Anywhere else.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

rob wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:44 pm I used both until Lowes cheated my on a dishwasher & install.... Starting with incompetence & lies about the real costs and ending with no interest from higher ups to address issues. I cannot recommend enough to buy stuff elsewhere! Anywhere else.
Great. I purchased a Bosch dishwasher from Lowes on 9/20 and haven't heard anything yet. How long did you have to wait?
Exterous

Post by Exterous »

I think perceptions are going to be more influenced by your local stores than overall brand. Where I used to live Lowes had far better customer service but where I live now the closest Lowes is pretty bad. I also have 2 lowes, 3 Home Depots and 1 menards within in a 15 minute drive. The closest Lowes is a smaller store as is one of the Home Depots and both lack a lot of the products I can find in the other stores of the same brand (Hat channel, certain fertilizers, fewer square drive screw options etc)

There are two benefits of Lowes that I like though:
#1: Way better 'Open box' appliance discounts. I very rarely see these at any of the HD I go to but I regularly check these out at any Lowes when I'm in the store. I've gotten a counter top depth, stainless steel Whirlpool gold fridge for $600, a Samsung stainless steel microwave with a frayed cord for $50 (and then bought a cord in the electrical aisle for ~$7) and a Bosch stainless steel dishwasher for $200
#2 Coupons\Gift cards: I can usually get lowes gift cards for 10-15% off and then stack with $X off $Y coupons and easily split up these transactions online to get a total of 20-30% off my purchase
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Lots of stores including Lowes and Home Depot have free "ship to store" for at least some items. I use it for a major chain pharmacy that has much higher prices in-store where I live than they offer online but also has shipping fees. What's silly is that they use common carriers to ship the items that are already on the shelf to the store, so they could probably just send it to me directly for the same shipping cost.

If you don't like the website search feature, you can always include the search term site:lowes.com or site:homedepot.com or whatever to search only that site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22terr ... edepot.com
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

Edie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am
squirm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm However I've been visiting Lowes a lot more often because of their website. I think their website is much better presented then HD. Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.
The part I bolded is strange to me. I looked up a part for our weedeater a couple weeks ago on the HD site, and was able to tell my spouse how many in stock, the aisle and the bay, at our local store from their website. Maybe you don't have your local store set?
+1. I find HD's website to work great and to provide the number of items in stock at the local store and surrounding stores.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Big box stores mean an hour of driving for me, poor customer service, and possibility of them not having the part. They also tend to have imported goods marked up way too much for me.

My normal go to place is my neighborhood Ace store. They are a huge time saver for me. Their paint department is excellent.

I've had good luck buying sump pumps and bath fixtures online. There can be good deals there. I have a corporate account with Grainger, which is good for general hardware needs when I can wait a couple days on shipping. McMaster-Carr is a great one for specialty fasteners.

I like my local lumber yard too. Their prices are higher, but they do free delivery.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

I have my state's driver's license veterans designation but I applied for this card as well.
Veterans received a long-overdue gift from the government just in time for the holidays. Hopefully, they know about it. But in case they don’t, here’s the scoop.

It’s a government-issued identification card they can use to prove their service and obtain the many discounts and freebies that are offered to veterans by restaurants, stores and other merchants.

Some veterans have struggled to document their service because the military issues ID cards only to active service members, retirees and some veterans who are considered by the VA to be 100 percent disabled due to their service.
Veterans ID cards are long overdue

Veteran ID Card Application
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I spend much more time in HD partly out of habit as the Lowe's was later to the game in our area. HD seems a bit less expensive. Lowe's definitely prettier. Garden Centre at Lowe's has better sales on plants so that gets me there in the spring. I've got lots of time on my hands so tend to go to both as well as the local hardware stores. And have been known to use Amazon. Not really very loyal.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
wander

Post by wander »

If you can buy something from Lowes' store, by all mean, go the store and get your item there. With the coronavirus stay at home order, I didn't want to be exposed at the store and some items were not available in store or store-pick-up anyway, so I went to Lowes web site. I bought 8 items from Lowes (on line), 1 item arrived with all dust and defect which I have already returned. The 7 other items were marked as shipped with an invalid tracking number linking to UPS web site that UPS stated there were nothing delivered from Lowes for shipping. Lowes charged my credit card 2 weeks ago (usually, stores don't charge until stuffs are shipped). I stopped by Lowes to cancel the order since it had been idling for 2 weeks, but customer service said she could not cancel since it had been shipped. When I asked her give me a tracking number, she couldn't.
I called Lowes' online number for 5 times last few days; waited for a few hours each time then got dropped and never got a chance to talk to a person. Online Chat is handled by robot.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Home Depot. Mostly because I've owned HD stock for 12 years or so and it has done amazingly. :happy They always seem to have more convenient locations than Lowes too. Well run company.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I usually go to Lowe's. It's much closer to my house and usually stocks what I need.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The local Lowes here has curbside pickup which is handy. Small town so no Home Depot.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

pennstater2005 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am Customer service seems to vary by locations of each store. You're only as good as your people. Happens to be Lowes for me. Although I occasionally shop at Home Depot.
+1 This mirrors my experience. Recently needed a sliding glass door and wanted it installed. HD associate was busy with another customer and took my phone number and promised to call me and never did. Lowe's associate was available and spent a lot of time describing options and their contacted installer was excellent.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Edie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am
squirm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm I do a ton of projects around the house and the rental when I have spare time. Over the years I usually spent more time at Home Depot. Even though the stores seemed more of a mess I could generally find things I need (except for plumbing parts, what a disaster).

We live out in the boonies so going to these stores involves a traveling a good distance. However I've been visiting Lowes a lot more often because of their website. I think their website is much better presented then HD. Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.

Which store is your go to for home and yard projects ?
The part I bolded is strange to me. I looked up a part for our weedeater a couple weeks ago on the HD site, and was able to tell my spouse how many in stock, the aisle and the bay, at our local store from their website. Maybe you don't have your local store set?
Same thing I was thinking. Lowe’s is closer and do my go to. But I get frustrated sometimes because Lowe’s website does not give a aisle location and Home Depot’s does.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

HD is a good trader stock... I have cashed out on this one several times... you can easily back on this one dipping and spiking every year or 2. The big Dip was AWESOME since I got out in January.. The parking lots and lines at HD have been unreal here in CA... No way to social distance in their stores... I have little doubt that earnings won't disappoint me!!

cheers!
:sharebeer
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Katietsu wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Edie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am ...was able to tell my spouse how many in stock, the aisle and the bay, at our local store from their website. Maybe you don't have your local store set?
Same thing I was thinking. Lowe’s is closer and do my go to. But I get frustrated sometimes because Lowe’s website does not give a aisle location and Home Depot’s does.
I go to whatever store has the item in stock for the best price. They are 3 miles from each other. due to history, I know where to find things in HD faster, but Lowes is slightly closer to our favorite take-out restaurant.

This past week, I needed a smoke detector, and Lowes website showed me the aisle/bin location at the store (and it was even accurate :happy ). The locator feature is a wonderful feature for both websites, but HD will send the location via txt to my phone.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

But I get frustrated sometimes because Lowe’s website does not give a aisle location and Home Depot’s does.
That's weird. I shop Lowes and almost always check online before I go.

The items that show as in store stock online always show Aisle & Bin numbers. That's true for my local Lowes, as well as the Lowes in the adjacent town. Either your's is different or you need to take another look.

The Aisle/Bin info is under the "Add to Cart" button, the number of that item in stock at your store and store location.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Bulk load contractor sales and discounts:
Lowes, Home Depot, Supply Houses such as roofing, etc.
Lowes has great customer service for special order bulk items like decking, cedar tng, etc.
Specialty lumber yards for odds or highest quality speciality items.
Roof truss factory for roof trusses.
Overall: Lowes has a higher consistent lumber quality. Contractor sales folks are on the ball.
Lately: the old timers at Home Depot Contractor sales have left and who's working there now is a bit. . . "slow".

Electrical: Home Depot, Lowes for odd stuff, True Value for really odd stuff. Supply houses for larger load centers, etc.
Plumbing: Home Depot for bulk PVC, etc. Lowes for speciality stuff.
HVAC: Home Depot
Landscape/outdoors: supply houses, wholesalers
Window/Doors: Home Depot for singles, low budget, supply houses for better and speciality
Masonry/products: supply houses, block factory for cmu, etc.
Preformed Steel/metal stock: Supply houses, wholesalers
Garage and roll up steel doors: Home Depot order desk.
Paint: supply houses for bulk or if per spec. IE: Sherwin Williams. Sometimes different HOA's have to have the exact stuff. Home Depot for small lot or "okay" quality, best quality Beyr has been okay for interior remods.
Appliances: depends on what: Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Fixtures: Lowes mostly.
Dirt, Rock, Sand, Gravel: quarry with the best quality.

Really picky about lumber. Wood has become so marginal over the years. Now, too green, too young, too unstable, so have to always move up in grades and price to get acceptable stuff. Lumber starts going south the minute it leaves the stack so you have to get things built quick and let them season in place. Nothing keeps if it has to lie around, ends up looking like a twisted french fry! Net dimensional wood is also nuts, like clothing made overseas. 1/2" ply is now 15/32", etc. Nuts.

Retired but the commercial accounts still come in handy. G.C. discounts, etc.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

Go to both stores. Main reason both give 10% discount to military!
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Home Depot has better IT for sure.

1. Parts of Lowe's website was down two Black Friday weekends ago.
2. A couple of years ago, Lowe's app signs you out automatically every day or so and they don't do FaceID so you essentially have to login to the app everyday which is extremely frustrating especially for contractors. HD app have been using FaceID for a awhile and even before that once you login, it doesn't log you out.
3. Home Depot app/website display all in-store purchases tied to a credit card immediately. Lowes don't offer that. You have to key in your in-store purchases 24 hours after purchase.
4. Following up on 3. Not only are HD in-store purchases receipts available in the app immediately, the receipt contains a scannable barcode. When you return an in-store purchase, all your in-store receipts are available on the app and customer service can just scan. While both stores can lookup purchase with a credit card, this features allows you to return even if you forgot to bring that particular credit card.
5. Both HD and Lowes app display aisle/bin location of an in-store item but only Home Depot app displays a map showing where in the store that aisle/bin is in.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

wander wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:19 pm If you can buy something from Lowes' store...
Worth a shout out to Wander for finding a previous thread on the topic of interest, instead of starting a new one! We need more folks to do this. So many threads are retreads.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

neilpilot wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm
But I get frustrated sometimes because Lowe’s website does not give a aisle location and Home Depot’s does.
That's weird. I shop Lowes and almost always check online before I go.

The items that show as in store stock online always show Aisle & Bin numbers. That's true for my local Lowes, as well as the Lowes in the adjacent town. Either your's is different or you need to take another look.

The Aisle/Bin info is under the "Add to Cart" button, the number of that item in stock at your store and store location.
Thank you. I see where that is displayed now for Lowe’s. Was not as obvious to me as Home Depot but I guess I should have been looking harder.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Whichever one is closer :D

Honestly, once inside I cannot tell the difference until I see their logo.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

I'm a vet and for larger purchases will go to lowes, even thought it is much further than HD.
HD is right down the street from me, so I often go there.
For better quality, i go to Ace Hardware.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Home Depot is probably better. But I often have 10% off Lowe's offers on my Amex business card. I use that to buy Amazon gift cards at Lowe's, which I then use to buy Lowe's gift cards during Amazon's frequent 20% sales (when using at least one Membership Rewards point or 1 cent of Discover cash back). The effective 28% discount is hard to pass up. (Don't get me nostalgic about the "old days" when it was possible to easily generate $20 off $100 coupons for Lowe's.) :moneybag

Ace does have excellent service (I think because the stores are individually owned, rather than owned by the corporation), and when I lived near one I preferred to patronize it.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

It doesn't matter. I have found via careful experimentation that whichever one you go to first will not have what you're looking for. 😀
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

(Big) Home Depot fan. I do a lot of DIY stuff. So do family members. We're more function over form. Lowes has prettier stuff, maybe. Home Depot has better pricing on "raw" stuff (plywood, lumber, plumbing, electrical) & we are magnitudes more comfortable/familiar. And Home Depot is much more common around my area.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I like the Lowe's stores better. They'r cleaner and better organized. But I shop more at Home Depot because they have a larger selection and their pricing is almost always better. I also like Behr paint much better than Lowe's brand. However, there are categories of products that I always buy from Lowe's. Two that immediately come to mind are appliances and lighting, both indoor and landscape. I like that Lowe's administers their own extended warranties on appliances and have had excellent service from them. The quality and selection of Lowe's lighting is head and shoulders above Home Depot. Walking into Home Depot's lighting department is like going back in time a couple of decades.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I miss my Lowes and Home Depot from our previous State of California. Here in SC both are located close to each other. I go to Lowes for gardening supplies and HD for lumber and hardware. I was shocked to find that I couldn't find a variety of treated lumber in either. There is only what appears to be a slightly tinted green treated lumber here and no higher quality more heavily treated green or brown treated lumber in SC. When I failed to find it I asked at both stores where it was and was looked at like I had two heads. The brown is much more durable for fence posts in my experience, and both that and the darker green are better at termite resistance in my opinion.

Yesterday I needed some garden supplies and went to Lowes, but decided to look at their lumber and hardware for a project I'm starting while I was there. I needed a single treated plank and needed it ripped and shortened, which is free at both stores. The saw at Lowes was broken with no estimate of repair, and I was told it had been that way for awhile.

I needed stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers, and lag screws for my project and was able to find them with more difficulty than at HD, and in a much smaller supply. When I checked out the clerk gave me a hard time for not writing down the numbers and wouldn't let it go. None of the stainless had tags and I apologized for not bringing a pad and paper, then she scolded me for not taking pictures of the shelf labeling with my phone. There were no blank paper tags on the isle. I knew the sizes and the amounts and reminded her several times that these were stainless but she didn't care. She ended up charging me for zinc and galvanized so I finally gave up and paid $22 for what should have been around $60 in stainless.

I then went to HD for the 8' x 10" x 2" treated plank and was told by the employee that they could only shorten it to 6', but that they couldn't rip it. I knew this was wrong because they had a different saw in a different location in the store, which I knew was working that they had used previously for me on a different project. After my experience at Lowes I didn't feel like arguing with the guy. I needed the plank to be 6' x 9.5" x 2" so will rip the 1/2" myself on my table saw, although less accurately.

Moral: Go to a locally owned hardware or lumber store which employs more knowledgeable and happier employees, or put up with substandard knowledge and help for a lower cost.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Things are different during Coronavirus time. But I avoided Lowes for a while when their loss-prevention policy involved videoing my checkout and then physically comparing part of my receipt with my armload at the exit door. I was annoyed by the delay, offended by the search, and alarmed at their distrust of customers. I also thought they might use the video to get a facial scan tied to a firm identity taken from my credit card.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I find that over the years, each have ebbed and flowed in their quality and treatment of customers. One of my only stock pick wins was for Lowes in the early 2000's. (I've since stopped stock picking and gone the BH way.) Back then, HD was behind.

Then, something changed, not coincidentally with the leadership at HD and the then entrenched ideas at Lowes, so I switched to primarily HD.

Today, I go about 50-50 to each based on the items I need.

One thing though: HD's website is still much better than Lowes. It is faster and better organized. I also find the in-stock counting is more reliable at HD.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

In my neck of the woods, Home Depot is best for paint and hardware, and Lowes is best for garden supplies and other home projects.
I found that both websites do show adequate aisle and shelf locations for both of my local stores.
And both give military discounts.

*(Thanks for resurrecting this thread - I didn't see it originally).
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

BruinBones wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 am In my neck of the woods, Home Depot is best for paint and hardware, and Lowes is best for garden supplies and other home projects.
That pretty much matches my experience.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

From my experience they are interchangeable, unless your are looking for a specific brand, e.g., Lowes signed a deal with Stanley Black and Decker and now carries Craftsman outdoor power equipment. I go to Home Depot simply because it's 5 mins from my house
Sidnaw_kid

Post by Sidnaw_kid »

Lowe's = better selection (especially lumber,) slightly higher costs, everyday10% discount for veterans.
Home Depot = less selection, slightly lower costs, 10% discount only of RETIRED military.

I shop them both.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I've been getting 10% off veterans discount for years at home depot. I shopped at about 5 different HD's.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I usually go the the two Home Depots within three to four miles from my house. I needed a lawnmower. Home Depot would deliver an assembled EGO lawn mower from the store for a $60 delivery charge. They would put help me put the lawn mower in my SUV but I could not lift it out by myself at home. Home Delivery online option had a delivery charge but curbside pickup meant I would have to take it out of the box and drag it to the back of my long driveway. My friendly Ace Store assembled it, charged the battery and delivered it to the back of my driveway. I was so impressed that I bought a snow blower from them as well. Amazon has a wider selection of gardening supplies in stock that I am purchasing such as Edgers, Weed Wackers, bird netting, small greenhouses etc. etc. so I am ordering from them if Home Depot does not have it in stock.
GoldenOne

Post by GoldenOne »

home depot. it's close. have not been to a lowe's in 10 years. I remember it being a lot like home depot.

Does low's have hardware. One thing I like about home depot is it has a lot of hardware for cheap
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Lowes has hardware too. HD's is usually a bit better. I may be partial since I have a friend who works part time at HD's hardware department.
trinc

Post by trinc »

Home Depot for the 10% veteran discount. I have 'Veteran' on my state drivers license, which i rarely get out before i get thanked for my service.

Lowes : ( asks for a veteran ID card ( which i don't have )... They will often state they will honor the 10% discount 'this time'. never understood why they don't just take the DD214. ( which i used to get veteran stated on my drivers license ).

Tim
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

trinc wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:44 am Home Depot for the 10% veteran discount. I have 'Veteran' on my state drivers license, which i rarely get out before i get thanked for my service.

Lowes : ( asks for a veteran ID card ( which i don't have )... They will often state they will honor the 10% discount 'this time'. never understood why they don't just take the DD214. ( which i used to get veteran stated on my drivers license ).

Tim
Lowes is easy for the veteran's discount. Just go to their website and register. They use a verification service that gives instant approval. Whenever you shop at the store or online you will automatically get the discount. Home Depot really doesn't have a system or a clear policy. Previously it used to be hit or miss for the veteran's discount. Recently HD has improved and as long as you have the vereran's indication on your driver's license or a verteran's ID card you get the discount. Still no clear policy. Also HD requires in store purchase for discount, no online. What you can do is buy online for in store pickup. They will adjust the price when you show ID at pickup.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

In my city of 3 million people there are dozens of Home Depots and 2 Lowe's so it is HD for me. We also have Menards and I go there too. Lowe's seems to be the most expensive of the 3. Lowe's seems to be the least crowded and has better help than the others. The HD near me seem to have 1 register open most of the time and a bunch of self checkouts. If I have a handful of items that is fine, but if I have a lot of stuff (including long boards) the self checkout is a pain.

Edit: Just realized this thread is ancient!
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Two comments:

1. I ordered a storm door with installation from HD and I opted to pay extra for the installer to measure for the door to be sure the correct size was ordered. When the installer came with the door to install it, he checked the measurements again and announced that he could not install the door because the opening was not square even though he was the one who measured for the door. :oops: So I contacted a company that specializes in a few building products including storm doors and they recommended an installer who carefully measured the door frame and ordered a storm door (same brand as what HD carried) that would fit the opening.

2. I very much dislike buying any toxic products such as lacquer thinner, adhesives, etc. in much larger quantities than what I need since it is difficult to dispose of the extra. I've found that HD generally tends to sell such items in larger containers. I have had better luck finding smaller containers of those products at Lowes or other hardware/building supply stores.

Despite the above, I do frequently shop at HD.