Google vs Bing for headline news

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Google vs Bing for headline news

Post by squirm »

I notice that when i just want the headline news and click the news link on Google, all I ever get is the Washington Post and NY Times for the vast majority of the headline source links. I figure these guys must be paying Google for top placement. So I have switched over to Bing which seems to have a wider variety of news sources.

Is there a way change that in Google? I haven't found any. If not I'll stick to Bing.
Copper John

Re: Google vs Bing for headline news

Post by Copper John »

Yes you can get many more news sources than that in Google News. In the top left corner there is an icon with 3 lines. This is the menu link. Clicking this should cause the item "manage sections" to appear in the left bottom corner. Click this and a variety of settings appear including "sources". Click this and you now will be able to add, delete and block news sources.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

fillary wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am other sources with the same news? what the point?
To get a wider variety of viewpoints. Each news organization has their own particular biases and blind spots.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

and as you click on links to particular sites/sources those will become more pronounced in the presentation of new news. This can lead to "siloing" of viewpoints presented/available.

and the news sites will also reflect your other searches.

ETA - limit all your searches to "National Enquirer" type things and you'll be presented with news about Loch Ness Monster Found, Space Aliens running our government, 5 headed thalidomide babies, etc.