Crashplan for Home ending service late 2018

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ice-9

Crashplan for Home ending service late 2018

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

Crashplan is a home backup solution commonly recommended on this forum. They offered several plans, including completely free backing up to a local drive or to a friend's computer.

Crashplan announced today that it is ending its home plans in a little over a year and is suggesting its home users try Carbonite: https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/
Crashplan wrote:Effective August 22, 2017, Code42 will no longer offer new – or renew – CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and we will begin to sunset the product over several months.
CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available for use starting October 23, 2018.

Da5id

Re: Crashplan for Home ending service late 2018

Post by Da5id » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am

Bummer. I use Crashplan, have been happy. Well, I think I'll just wait until late next year and evaluate the options at that time.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

I use a WD-MyCloud drive. Call me old fashioned - but I feel best when my backups are in my hands.
For off-site backup I have a portable drive that I rotate into a safety deposit box ever 6 months or so.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:37 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am
I use a WD-MyCloud drive. Call me old fashioned - but I feel best when my backups are in my hands.
For off-site backup I have a portable drive that I rotate into a safety deposit box ever 6 months or so.
Which is why I've used/like Crashplan. I use it for a local archive (hard drive) and also a cloud drive, it does both for me as of now. Much easier/quicker to restore from local drive, but if house burns down that isn't all that helpful. I don't like any backup that includes manual steps, including taking media to offsite, as the crash is always just before you finally get around to those manual steps...

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am

Da5id wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:37 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Which is why I've used/like Crashplan. I use it for a local archive (hard drive) and also a cloud drive, it does both for me as of now. Much easier/quicker to restore from local drive, but if house burns down that isn't all that helpful. I don't like any backup that includes manual steps, including taking media to offsite, as the crash is always just before you finally get around to those manual steps...
My off-site manual step isn't that cumbersome - I usually do it right after I complete my taxes. At worse - I will lose a few months of digital photos and a few months of bank/investment statements - the latter of which can easily be re downloaded. I hate paying extra monthly fees - I realize crashplan wasn't that expensive - but now you do need to replace it. I'm sure there will be additional consolidation in the coming years (and its just a matter of time before the first data breech).

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am
My off-site manual step isn't that cumbersome - I usually do it right after I complete my taxes. At worse - I will lose a few months of digital photos and a few months of bank/investment statements - the latter of which can easily be re downloaded. I hate paying extra monthly fees - I realize crashplan wasn't that expensive - but now you do need to replace it. I'm sure there will be additional consolidation in the coming years (and its just a matter of time before the first data breech).
I may follow your lead. I actually wouldn't suffer those two drawbacks if I were to switch to your backup workflow. My digital photos are backed up automatically from my phone to OneDrive for $2/mo (and to the OneDrive folder on my computer), and my statements are kept in a VeraCrypt encrypted container in another cloud folder.

rav2fi

Post by rav2fi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am

I use Backblaze as my backup service. I've been happy with them so far.

scottyja

Post by scottyja » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am

I'm disappointed to hear this. I've used Crashplan for the last couple of years and haven't had any issues. The one reason I went with Crashplan is they let me create my own encryption keys which they don't have access to. Granted, if I were to lose the key I would lose my data, but it ensured that not even a rogue employee had access to my data. It was the one place outside my home I was comfortable storing financial data, tax returns, etc.. Last I checked (a few years ago), Carbonite did not offer this solution. Guess I have a year or so to figure out a new plan.

scottyja

Post by scottyja » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:26 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
I do something very similar. 2 encrypted external hard drives (one at my office, one connected to my home computer) that SyncBack backs up to nightly. I swap them out every couple of weeks or so.

With Crashplan, I never had to do a full backup after a catastrophic failure. But there were a number of times that I deleted a file I didn't mean to. More often than not, the file had already been backed up to Crashplan and easily restored.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 am

I started with Carbonite initially. Ran slow on my Mac. Process table showed it was the sync daemon.

Switched to Backblaze and don't know it runs. So little load, I kept checking the site to be sure I was completely backed up. Backblaze getting better about restore options too. I use it for catastrophic off-site recovery because I used TimeMachine for archives.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 am

Be sure to look when your subscription will end, you won't have until late 2018. In my case I was set to renew in mid-Sept, they will give you 60 days after the subscription ends to close your account, so I only have until Nov-2017 to figure out my new plan. Unfortunately I moved from Carbonite to Crashplan a few years ago based on comments from this forum and a few annoyances with it. Crashplan seemed to address my concerns.

scottyja

Post by scottyja » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am

I just received my email from them. They are extending existing licenses an extra 60 days, which is nice. I was going to expire in January 2018, now March. Additionally, you can convert you license to their Small Business plan, which is quite expensive ($10/month per machine). However for 12 months you receive 75% off. If I'm reading correctly, I can renew for another year for $30, which is even cheaper than the home plan and will put me into March 2019 before I need to find another plan. I'll likely do this as the conversion seems pretty seamless.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 am

Another disappointed CrashPlan user here. :(

Looks like the hunt is on. Code42 (the CrashPlan people) recommends Carbonite, but that is one of the ones I flatly rejected last time around. That was several years ago so I guess I should re-evaluate.

I am not sure now what all my criteria/requirements were. Off the top of my head:
  • Cloud storage -- to satisfy off-site requirement.
  • Version control -- so I can recover from screw-ups I don't notice for some time AND to defeat ransomware. With CrashPlan I can recover files I deleted or otherwise destroyed months ago.
  • Also local, networked, support -- for convenience of quick restore.
  • FAST. CrashPlan accomplished this with block-level differential backups. In other words, a small change didn't require backing up an entire file. That could use up bandwidth and take an inconvenient amount of time.
  • Ability to re-populate all my personal data to a new computer. CrashPlan will ship physical media, if needed.
  • more ??
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Bummer — CrashPlan has worked extremely well for me. Fortunately I have 4.3 years remaining on my Family Unlimited subscription.

Once that subscription expires, I’m likely to migrate to the small business service — that seevixe is much more expensive than the family plan, but still seems reasonably priced given how important reliable backups are for me. (I’m a professor who does all my teaching online.)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Has anyone looked at whether Crashplan is in trouble financially? If they are, shifting to their business plan may not be a good idea.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm pretty unhappy about this. I've been with Crashplan pretty much since the beginning - and have recommended it more times than I could possibly count. Our business migrated to their service several years ago on my suggestion, and I have many other family members, friends, and clients who are using it as well. All told I've easily spent/driven many tens of thousands of dollars to their platform. I'm not sure what our next move is going to be. Their small business plan is probably too expensive for our limited home use. I'm in a position of no longer thinking I can trust them with our business data.

Most importantly, the thing they are completely failing to address in their emails and comments about this is that the value of my backups is largely in the data that cannot be migrated. There are years of history contained in those backup sets that provide the real value of a backup, and those are going away unless you migrate to their Business software.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm

To me, the company is implementing this specific decision in a thoughtful and responsible way — what about this leads you to beive that they are untrustworthy in general? On the contrary, exiting a market that is not viable to focus on more profitable markets sounds rational and trustworthy (although disappointing for those within the market they are exiting).

About the value of your existing data archives; One of their solutions, migrating to the small business service, retains your current data archives; if those archives are as valuable to you as you suggest, paying for that service may be worth it. (It seems too much to expect Carbonite another vendor to take on the burden of importing and supporting your former data — that would be a massive and, I assume, technically frought endeavor.)

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 am
Version control -- so I can recover from screw-ups I don't notice for some time AND to defeat ransomware. With CrashPlan I can recover files I deleted or otherwise destroyed months ago.
Could someone please post whether Backblaze and/or Carbonite have this particular Crashplan feature listed by Bertilak? My quick Googling seems to indicate that Backblaze only preserves old versions of files for 30 days, but I'm not sure if I have that right.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm
bertilak wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 am
Version control -- so I can recover from screw-ups I don't notice for some time AND to defeat ransomware. With CrashPlan I can recover files I deleted or otherwise destroyed months ago.
Could someone please post whether Backblaze and/or Carbonite have this particular Crashplan feature listed by Bertilak? My quick Googling seems to indicate that Backblaze only preserves old versions of files for 30 days, but I'm not sure if I have that right.
Yes, but not to the extent Crashplan does. https://support.carbonite.com/articles/ ... e-Versions

I think I'll migrate to business plan for at least a year or so.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 am

I'm not sure that Carbonite is going to do it for me though I don't recall all the reasons why it didn't seem suitable for me off the top of my head. Some are posted above though. Considered Blackblaze, which shifted to the Wirecutter's top recommendation with Crashplan backing out of the home market, but I don't care for its version retention limit.

Currently testing out using Cloudberry paired with Backblaze B2. Cloudberry desktop has a freeware version for personal use but I need some features in the Pro version. The latter comes with a 15 day trial. Backblaze B2 is free for the first 10GB and then charges per GB uploaded and per GB retrieved.

Wirecutter does mention the bulk options like Backblaze B2 (and others) as well as the pros and cons of going this route. It is a lot more effort to get it all set up and there are more potential pitfalls and risks than going with an all-in-one and easy solution that will also help you with troubleshooting issues.
DaftInvestor wrote:
As long as you have your bases covered the specifics of how you handle your backups are up to you.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 am

scottyja wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am
I just received my email from them. They are extending existing licenses an extra 60 days, which is nice. I was going to expire in January 2018, now March. Additionally, you can convert you license to their Small Business plan, which is quite expensive ($10/month per machine). However for 12 months you receive 75% off. If I'm reading correctly, I can renew for another year for $30, which is even cheaper than the home plan and will put me into March 2019 before I need to find another plan. I'll likely do this as the conversion seems pretty seamless.
I am on the same time frame. I have until March 2018.

The conversion is only seamless if you don't have more than 5TB backed up with them. If you do have more than 5TB backed up, they will immediately delete your entire backup when you convert. You are, of course, free to re-upload your data, but with their slow upload speeds, it would take a few weeks again. (I might be able to exclude files down to 4.9TB, convert, and then add the excluded files back. I may talk to them about that option.)
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm
To me, the company is implementing this specific decision in a thoughtful and responsible way — what about this leads you to beive that they are untrustworthy in general? On the contrary, exiting a market that is not viable to focus on more profitable markets sounds rational and trustworthy (although disappointing for those within the market they are exiting).

About the value of your existing data archives; One of their solutions, migrating to the small business service, retains your current data archives; if those archives are as valuable to you as you suggest, paying for that service may be worth it. (It seems too much to expect Carbonite another vendor to take on the burden of importing and supporting your former data — that would be a massive and, I assume, technically frought endeavor.)
They are not doing it in a thoughtful and responsible way. They courted customers with high data backup requirements and now they are unceremoniously cutting us off with weasly language about "platform limitations" as a reason for the 5TB "conversion" limit.

I haven't decided yet what I am going to do. Unless I decide to convert with Crashplan--I am OK with the pricing, even after the discount period is over--I'll probably wait until the new year to switch to a new provider, maybe Backblaze. They promise better upload speeds that should allow me to upload our data within 9-10 days.

scottjspencer

Post by scottjspencer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 am

I've been using Spideroak ONE for cloud backups for a few years.

I have no connection to the company, other than as a satisfied customer, but here are some answers to a couple of questions I've seen above.

It attempts to do deduplication of versions, and uploads only the change information in order to create different versions. Because it's a "zero knowledge" solution, and everything is encrypted before being uploaded, it does this deduplication locally, before uploading.
https://support.spideroak.com/hc/en-us/ ... uplication

Yes, you can recover files you've deleted locally. The deleted items are stored "indefinitely". https://support.spideroak.com/hc/en-us/ ... -Items-Bin

It may not be the cheapest solution, but they have occasionally sent out offers for lower prices in the past.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell what SpiderOak pricing is without signing up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:04 pm

I've been using Carbonite for a handful of years and have been very pleased with its performance. Many people complain that it takes a long time to do the initial backup and it does, I think it took two weeks that first time five years ago. (I had around 250 GB.) But after that, you would never know it is working and doesn't affect computer speed at all. The only time I know it is there is when I'm on the road and want to access a file through their app or when I change my home computer and have to re-log in and download all my files back onto my hard drive. (It is much faster downloading than uploading. The last time I downloaded 450 GB in a little over a day.)

scottjspencer

Post by scottjspencer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am
There doesn't seem to be any way to tell what SpiderOak pricing is without signing up.
https://spideroak.com/one/

It's toward the bottom. There are four options listed, starting at $59 a year for 100 GB.

jima

Post by jima » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Switched from Crashplan to Arq a couple of years ago and have been pretty happy. Currently going to Amazon, but will switch to Wasabi or Backblaze at the end of this term since they are cheaper now.

Here is who they support:
https://www.arqbackup.com/documentation ... ategy.html

FraggleRock

Try Backblaze

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:20 pm

rav2fi wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am
Me too.
For the last 2 years.
$50/yr/computer.
Worth it.

TomatoTomahto

Re: Try Backblaze

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:20 pm
rav2fi wrote:
Me too.
For the last 2 years.
$50/yr/computer.
Worth it.
I just don't know if a version retention of 30 days will do for me. It probably will, but I'm reluctant to find out the hard way, i.e., it's one of those features you don't know if you need until you really need it. And, since the cost is more than the offer for converted Home users on Crashplan's business product, I think it makes more sense to wait a year.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm

One of the reasons I went with Crashplan was that I could back up an external hard drive and not have to worry about the files being deleted if I kept it unattached for a long time. Anyone aware of other backup services that have that ability? As I recall, some had limitations on external hard drives or required you to connect it at least every 30 days to maintain your backup.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 pm

jima wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 pm
Switched from Crashplan to Arq a couple of years ago and have been pretty happy. Currently going to Amazon, but will switch to Wasabi or Backblaze at the end of this term since they are cheaper now.

Here is who they support:
https://www.arqbackup.com/documentation ... ategy.html
Same here. Love Arq. I get terabyte of onedrive from my Microsoft subscription to Office so I point Arq there for backups. Great software.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 am

Just found this article over on BostInno about the Carbonite side of this announcement: https://www.americaninno.com/boston/car ... s-company/

Too bad most of the alternatives are meant for Windows or Mac. Linux might have a smaller home market share, but it still exists.

Edit: Seems like the top running contender for Linux, judging by the Slashdot thread, is using Backblaze B2 with a Linux client. But I haven't had time to evaluate the security provided by the various Linux clients.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am

I decided to go for CrashPlan Pro, their business plan.
  • The conversion is painless.
  • It costs more but is still affordable.
  • It's even a little cheaper, for starters, giving one plenty of time (Free Lunch!) to investigate alternatives.
  • I investigated Arq and BackBlaze and neither provides anywhere near the capabilities one gets with CrashPlan -- making CrashPlan Pro's extra cost completely justified. (None of this 30 day timeout on retaining lost data!)
  • I note that Arq costs more than the advertised price since Arq's price does NOT include the cloud storage. That you need to purchase on your own. For some, what they already have access to may be enough, but I would have needed to pay more to have enough. This again, helps justify CrashPlan Pro's price.
  • Arq is geared towards Apple and looking at their on-line help I see screen shots of configuration/options that show more things than my Windows version.
  • Arq's "blog" discusses registry hacks needed to properly deal with outlook .ost files, and that involves disabling a potentially useful Windows feature! No such complications with CrashPlan.
  • Arq's restore process is cumbersome. You need to download a zip file and restore it manually. It does not happen unattended in the background.
I seem to be picking on Arq above but that's because it came the closest to being viable so I gave it a closer look. BackBlaze looks to be little more than a front end for coping files to another location so I didn't spend much time evaluating it.
Last edited by bertilak on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am
Curious to know if I can find out without a phone call: was there a "penalty" for converting before your Home plan expired? I'd just as soon convert right away, but not if it's more expensive.

ETA: by more expensive, I meant that my Pro plan discount would end sooner than if I didn't start Pro until next year.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am
bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am
Curious to know if I can find out without a phone call: was there a "penalty" for converting before your Home plan expired? I'd just as soon convert right away, but not if it's more expensive.

ETA: by more expensive, I meant that my Pro plan discount would end sooner than if I didn't start Pro until next year.
I converted "right away" and I don't thnk I lost anything by doing so. Everything gets tacked to the end of your current subscription.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 am

NEXT QUESTION!

So, if one goes with CrashPlan Pro for business, what new features might one take advantage of?

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
+1 Also since I don't want to lose six months of data, I carry encrypted thumb drives in my pocketbook that are out of date by only a few days. I have those at home too. That hopefully covers the stolen purse, house burns down scenarios.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:34 am

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 am
NEXT QUESTION!

So, if one goes with CrashPlan Pro for business, what new features might one take advantage of?
200 - 400 kilobit per second restores, no mailed disk drive option and total apathy from support.

Crashplan business did not come through for us.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:54 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm
One of the reasons I went with Crashplan was that I could back up an external hard drive and not have to worry about the files being deleted if I kept it unattached for a long time. Anyone aware of other backup services that have that ability? As I recall, some had limitations on external hard drives or required you to connect it at least every 30 days to maintain your backup.
Don't know the answer but will second the question. I run a Home NAS that holds a local backup of all computers, but more importantly the original and only local version of my photo library, music library, and video library (although the latter two don't really grow anymore). I can back it up via crash plan by simply mounting the drive and selecting it as one to include in the backup. Took a week to get the whole thing uploaded at first, but now very easy. I probably connect to the thing at least every 30 days but could easily envision a scenario where I don't (eg extended travel, busy work period). Do the others have a good solution for this?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:04 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
I would hate to lose 6 months of data (i.e. imagine losing your tax returns for the year) and I would also be concerned (not as big of deal with SSDs but with any rotational media it is an issue) about media failure. I find it hard not to justify paying <100/year to get everything backed up automatically by whatever service you like. I do also back everything else up locally (I use time machine) and at work but that might just be paranois:)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:01 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:04 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
I would hate to lose 6 months of data (i.e. imagine losing your tax returns for the year) and I would also be concerned (not as big of deal with SSDs but with any rotational media it is an issue) about media failure. I find it hard not to justify paying <100/year to get everything backed up automatically by whatever service you like. I do also back everything else up locally (I use time machine) and at work but that might just be paranois:)
The only time I would lose 6 months of data is if my house happened to burn down just prior to swapping my backup drives (a very unlikely event - I have local in-home backups that run all the time time). The only issue with media failure would be if my house burned down and at the same time my off-site media failed - a very very unlikely event. During tax time is one of the 2 times per year I do the off-site swap so there is no danger losing my tax data. Personally - I guess my paranoia runs higher with security-concerns of allowing someone else to grab a backup copy of my tax returns from a 3rd party service than it does for having multiple failures happen to me with my current method. Also - last time I priced it out - the cost was more that 100/year (need about 3TB of backup). I don't fault anyone though for using the convenience of these services - I just haven't been able to bring myself to trust them yet.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Bummer. At least they give us some time. No time to explore right now as I'm on a trip, but I have a Mac and my recollection that when I looked at Carbonite it was a complete non-starter, although like others I forget what the dealbreaker was. Either it didn't preserve Mac file resource forks, or perhaps the only affordable plan would only back up files on the boot drive (and most of my important files are on an external drive)... anyway, at the time I looked at it there was no point in even trying Carbonite.

Added: Yeah, the basic plan won't back up files on an external drive.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 pm

rav2fi wrote:
Can Backblaze back up to the cloud and locally (external hard drive or flash drive) at the same time?

JPH

Post by JPH » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 pm

I really dislike Carbonite. I used it for a year. They kept updating the software but never gave any indication that I had to install the update. My only clue came after realizing after several days that nothing had been backed up. When I decided to let the subscription lapse, they installed an extremely annoying pop-up reminder that would go off every few seconds. It was a constant annoyance and made it impossible to use the computer. The only way I could stop it was to completely uninstall the Carbonite software. That left a very bad taste in my mouth. Crashplan has been a very welcome replacement.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

rob

Post by rob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:57 pm

For those considering Carbonite.... I left them after finding out they effectively do NOT allow any real volume ("unlimited" is an inside joke) - They slow the upload after a fairly small size, so you can never actually get the initial backup done if you have a decent sized file set.

Add me to the unhappy camp..... I have a few months to look at options.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

rav2fi

Post by rav2fi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 am

Pacific wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 pm
rav2fi wrote:
Can Backblaze back up to the cloud and locally (external hard drive or flash drive) at the same time?
No it cannot unfortunately. Only online.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 am

I use and have been very happy with Acronis
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/

Not sure what all the requirements are for your varied needs, but at least it's a option that can be considered.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Pacific wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 pm
Backblaze can't but if you're using Backblaze B2 for storage (or another similar cloud solution like S3, Wasabi, etc) and your backup app supports it, you can. Cloudberry allows this as does Arq (mentioned above). There are probably other backup apps that can as well.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Whatever backup method you choose, please schedule a restore at least every six months, of at least some of your data.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 am

pondering wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:08 pm
Whatever backup method you choose, please schedule a restore at least every six months, of at least some of your data.
Why?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt