scottyja wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am
I just received my email from them. They are extending existing licenses an extra 60 days, which is nice. I was going to expire in January 2018, now March. Additionally, you can convert you license to their Small Business plan, which is quite expensive ($10/month per machine). However for 12 months you receive 75% off. If I'm reading correctly, I can renew for another year for $30, which is even cheaper than the home plan and will put me into March 2019 before I need to find another plan. I'll likely do this as the conversion seems pretty seamless.
I am on the same time frame. I have until March 2018.
The conversion is only seamless if you don't have more than 5TB backed up with them. If you do have more than 5TB backed up, they will immediately delete your entire backup when you convert. You are, of course, free to re-upload your data, but with their slow upload speeds, it would take a few weeks again. (I might be able to exclude files down to 4.9TB, convert, and then add the excluded files back. I may talk to them about that option.)
PhilosophyAndrew wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm
To me, the company is implementing this specific decision in a thoughtful and responsible way — what about this leads you to beive that they are untrustworthy in general? On the contrary, exiting a market that is not viable to focus on more profitable markets sounds rational and trustworthy (although disappointing for those within the market they are exiting).
About the value of your existing data archives; One of their solutions, migrating to the small business service, retains your current data archives; if those archives are as valuable to you as you suggest, paying for that service may be worth it. (It seems too much to expect Carbonite another vendor to take on the burden of importing and supporting your former data — that would be a massive and, I assume, technically frought endeavor.)
They are not doing it in a thoughtful and responsible way. They courted customers with high data backup requirements and now they are unceremoniously cutting us off with weasly language about "platform limitations" as a reason for the 5TB "conversion" limit.
I haven't decided yet what I am going to do. Unless I decide to convert with Crashplan--I am OK with the pricing, even after the discount period is over--I'll probably wait until the new year to switch to a new provider, maybe Backblaze. They promise better upload speeds that should allow me to upload our data within 9-10 days.