Kitchen knife set. Good quality - Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aquamarine

Re: Kitchen knife set. Good quality - Recommendations

Post by aquamarine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I also recommend getting a ceramic knife. I love to cook and have tried many different knives over the years,
and I would say out of everything, I like the ceramic knife the best. Good luck.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm

I've had my Henckels Twin Pro S knives for +30 years now (aka Zwilling Professional S), and I would ask to be buried with them, except that I want to pass them on.

The line isn't made any more, as best as I can tell, but you can still find them on Amazon, CutleryandMore.com, etc.

If you want to get a set, look at the 10-piece set. Or at any rate, be sure to get their santoku knife, which is completely amazing. It will cut everything down to the sliver level, including slightly squishy, over-ripe, but wonderful homegrown tomatoes.

DON'T get Henckels International.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:37 pm
Cutco knives are made out of high carbon steel and they are stamped rather than forged. They also have an oddly-shaped cutting edge that you can't easily sharpen effectively yourself. Part of what you are paying for is the "free" sharpening service.
If you do go with Cutco, be advised the handles will discolor, at least the pearl colored ones. Not a big deal for knives, but kinda crappy on forks, spoons, etc. :x

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 am
Pajamas wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:37 pm
Cutco knives are made out of high carbon steel and they are stamped rather than forged. They also have an oddly-shaped cutting edge that you can't easily sharpen effectively yourself. Part of what you are paying for is the "free" sharpening service.
If you do go with Cutco, be advised the handles will discolor, at least the pearl colored ones. Not a big deal for knives, but kinda crappy on forks, spoons, etc. :x

Broken Man 1999
Glad I went with the black handles!

chmcnm

Post by chmcnm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 pm

We replaced an old Gerber USA set with one of the German brands possibly made in China. Not impressed. Quality has gone downhill. I'd look on Ebay for an older German or Japanese set. Buck knives made a set called Americraft that looks good and is/was made in the USA. Also, learning how to sharpen knives is a must.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Four knives are all you need:

Masamoto VG Series Gyuto 210 and Petty 120 JapaneseChefsKnife.com

Wusthof Classic 3.5" Paring Knife and Wusthof Classic 4-Inch Boning Knife 4601 Amazon

210 for meats, large vegetables, rocker-chopping just about everything (meats, vegetables, leafy greens, etc.), slicing bread, side smashing then chopping garlic, many other tasks. Amazon

120 for tomatoes and other small/soft vegetables, also for making sandwiches.

3.5" for almost any small task.

4601 could be used for cutting meat out of a pork chop or lamb chop, but I mostly use it as a second type of paring knife for harder vegetables and cheeses, or for cutting the cores out of quartered apples, pairs, etc. where the wider 3.5" paring knife does not work as well.

If my wife and I each need a knife by our plates for dinner (infrequently, since we mostly eat fish and chicken) the two small Wusthofs fill the bill.

Also, if you don't already have a favorite way to sharpen knives I suggest a Chef's Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener at Amazon. Sharpen the Wusthof knives down to its 15 degree bevel, which is what the Masmoto's will be when you get them.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:44 am

Raybo wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 pm
My wife and I are eat at home vegetarians. We do alot of vegetable and nut chopping. The best knife I've ever used is a ceramic knife.

Unlike steel knives, ceramic knives don't dull appreciably. They remain sharp a long time. Using a much heavier and always duller steel knife is something I loathe.

One obvious problem with ceramic knives is that they are brittle. We've never had to replace a knife because it dulled (they will sharpen them for free but you have to send the knife to them to do so). It has always been because they break. We are on our third one. The first one chipped when the blade hit the pit of a peach and then broke when it was dropped on the floor. The second one broke trying to take the pit out of an avocado. We've had the current one for a couple years.

They make different size ceramic knives, but none are very long and you can't cut anything hard, like bone or pits, and you can smash garlic with them.

They cost less than $100 for ones 6 inches long, or so.
There is an offshore racing rule for sailors which requires a knife be readily available in the cockpit at all times. I purchased a cheap ceramic chefs knife and secured it to my steering pedestal. That thing has sailed 10,000 ocean miles over four years and still looks new, no rust and sharp as heck. It cuts rope so well it is almost dangerous. I think I paid $7.00 for it. Best deal ever.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:31 am

All my knives are Wusthof Classic. I agree with the comment about getting comfortable with an inexpensive knife like an Asian made cleaver and getting the habit down for sharpening, washing, etc. If you are comfortable with that routine on an inexpensive knife and still want to upgrade then I recommending finding just one you like and grow from there instead of buying a block set. It's perfectly acceptable to buy your preferred knife for each function. Honestly my Wusthof 7" santoku is the only knife of ours that even gets used 90% of the time.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm

I can second the recommendation not to buy a knife set. I would buy them singly, according to need. As an example, I use a chef's knife and sometimes a paring knife for most everything. I also have a serrated knife for bread. If I bought a five knife set, that leaves two I don't really have a use for.

I'll also echo ATK's recommendation of the Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef Knife. Here's how I see it. If you watch Top Chef, every week you see someone packing up their special knives into their kit and leaving. These are high-end chefs, and these are nice knives. If you then think about everyone else working in their restaurant -- the chefs on the line -- this Victorinox might be closer to what gets used in most commercial kitchens.

Another part about having a nice kitchen knife is the "care and feeding". When I use my chef's knife, I hand wash it and dry it immediately. I don't throw it in the sink with the rest of the dishes, I wouldn't put it through the dishwasher, I hone it, and will get it sharpened when necessary. Since this isn't your first knife by any stretch, that's not an issue. If you get a nice knife, you owe it some respect.

The difference between the German-style and Japanese-style knives is stark. I was fairly interested in getting a decent Japanese-style knife; in taking a few options for a test drive, I found it was the Shun 8" Western Chef's Knife that felt best. I tried a Santoku blade, and it was decent, but felt a little strange not having that rocker action. Also many Japanese knives have no bolster -- that piece between the handle and the blade -- which took some getting used to when doing a large volume of cutting.

Wusthof makes a very nice Western-style chef's knife -- as does Henckels, Messermeister, and a few others. Go into a decent cooking supplies store and see what feels best.

If you only cut an cook vegetables, a Japanese-style cleaver is an interesting thought. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MRJDEU/?t ... ippilot-20

Good luck...

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Mercer ... for price/performance quite amazing. They go on sale too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1

Helios

Post by Helios » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:51 am

Wife is retired home ec teacher. We have owned about every type of knife known. We eat vegetarian.
Couple of years ago discovered victorox swiss army kitchen knives at amazon. Best yet, singles or set.
Best part...most economical knives bot.

Benbo

Post by Benbo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:18 am

Helios wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:51 am
Wife is retired home ec teacher. We have owned about every type of knife known. We eat vegetarian.
Couple of years ago discovered victorox swiss army kitchen knives at amazon. Best yet, singles or set.
Best part...most economical knives bot.
2nd the recommendation on the Victorinox. Wife(ex) owned a catering company, that's all they used. Get the ones with the fibrox handles, they don't look pretty but they aren't slippery when your hands are wet.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:21 pm

If you must have German, I recommend estate sales.

The old (>30 years) knives were much better quality before the big box stores had the manufacturers down shift the quality to make a price point that the mass market would support. My 1986 Chefs was over $220, in 1980s dollars.

I gave a lady $20 for her entire set that she was going to toss in the trash, included 8 steak knives.
"My kids don't cook."
The heft and full tang with rivets were the norm back then.

Accusharp and they are like new.

Had to buy a new block as the old one had decades of grime.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:48 am

TLDR - Apologies if it's already been stated.

OP, the best advice on buying knife sets comes from Anthony Bourdain of "Kitchen Confidential" fame, a brilliant and accomplished NYC chef who never held back in calling BS on various aspects of the restaurant/cooking/foodie worlds. (RIP, Tony.)

To wit: "No con foisted on the general public is so atrocious, so wrongheaded, or so widely believed as the one that tells you you need a full set of specialized cutlery in various sizes." See here for more. Even better, do DW (and yourself if you're paying) a favor: Go to the local library (or its website) and have DW read his chapter from Kitchen Confidential from which the above excerpts came.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

John88

Post by John88 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Worked in a commercial kitchen in prior life and used the standard beater knives such as Dexter and Mercer, have a few Victorinox/Forshner knives and they are a step up from the Dexters but a step down from Japanese knives. I have one with a VG10 blade that gets scarry sharp. At an entry level price point the Tojiro DP series is a nice value and has many positive reviews.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 pm

We use a Global G-2 Chef's Knife for the vast majority of cooking. A paring knife occasionally (also Global). A serrated bread knife occasionally (some off brand). And that is about it. Everything else stays in the block. Victorinox is a sound choice. Anything more expensive is a matter of personal preference but certainly not necessary.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Royal Doulton Gordon Ramsay 6 Piece Knife Block Set, Black
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Something occurred to me. Having cooked quite a bit, it seems practically the only knife I use is my chef's knife. Others have echoed this, that you don't need a set of knives, just a small few (or one).

The classic debate, as you climb down the rabbit hole for chef knife selection, is between a western-style or Japanese-style knife. But do any of you use both -- a western-style (e.g., Wusthof, Zwilling) and Japanese (e.g., Shun, MAC, Tojiro)? Do you find room in your kitchen tasks to justify the investment in both knives, and how do you breakdown what you use for which tasks?

Up to this point, I had simply thought you pick one knife you like, keep it sharp, and make it work. I might want to have two chef knives, but I'm not sure I need them, is that catch.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 pm

German knifes from Solingen region are very famous. Japanese knifes are also good but are expensive.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 pm

I would do #1 and also add a Wusthoff Santoku knife. We are vegetarian and this is actually my go-to knife for most veggie applications. https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic- ... 00005MEGX/

Also get yourself a good Japanese-style water stone for sharpening and watch a Youtube video on how to properly sharpen them. The steel is for honing but does not remove material to actually sharpen the knife.

geniekid

Post by geniekid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:40 pm

My knives from Chicago Cutlery are going strong after 8 years of use. Around year 6 the chef's knife started becoming noticeably duller, but I took them to Ace Hardware to get resharpened and they regained their edge nicely. Other than that, I've had zero issues with them. I hand wash and hand dry all of them shortly after use.

Topic Author
ram

Post by ram » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm

I had posted this question 2 yrs ago. Based on recommendations here my wife got:
Victrinox 8" Knife : most used
Wustoff classic paring knife 3.5"
Wustoff Sontoku 7" : less used
Wustoff classic 14 cm serrated knife.
She is happy that she did not get the whole set. Thanks everybody.
Ram

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 pm

hicabob wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm
Mercer ... for price/performance quite amazing. They go on sale too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P ... UTF8&psc=1
Just purchased a set. Fantastic value. Just the 5 kinves you require per other posters on this thread. The glass block looks great and frees up counter space too.

Good comparison video Mercer vs Wusthof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJu8CZtxsg

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:25 am

eonny wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm
Cutco. A representative will come to your house to sharpen your knife.
I have a fair number of Cutco knives, and I love them, but all of the paring knives have the ridges worn off the cutting areas.

Who do I contact for the sharpening service? Phone number?

Thanks,

Ralph

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 am

ram wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm
I had posted this question 2 yrs ago. Based on recommendations here my wife got:
Victrinox 8" Knife : most used
Wustoff classic paring knife 3.5"
Wustoff Sontoku 7" : less used
Wustoff classic 14 cm serrated knife.
She is happy that she did not get the whole set. Thanks everybody.
Wow this is super close to my knife set. I have the same set except I have the Wustof 8" chef's knife instead of the Victorinox. Glad I'm not crazy.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:55 am

Alf 101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm
Something occurred to me. Having cooked quite a bit, it seems practically the only knife I use is my chef's knife. Others have echoed this, that you don't need a set of knives, just a small few (or one).

The classic debate, as you climb down the rabbit hole for chef knife selection, is between a western-style or Japanese-style knife. But do any of you use both -- a western-style (e.g., Wusthof, Zwilling) and Japanese (e.g., Shun, MAC, Tojiro)? Do you find room in your kitchen tasks to justify the investment in both knives, and how do you breakdown what you use for which tasks?

Up to this point, I had simply thought you pick one knife you like, keep it sharp, and make it work. I might want to have two chef knives, but I'm not sure I need them, is that catch.
I do have two chef's knives, a western style Henckels (bolstered) that I use for tougher materials that may contain bone and such, and a larger Japanese (unbolstered) western style knife that I use when the risk of chipping the blade is low and when I want extreme sharpness. There are of course also Japanese style Japanese knives - think wooden handles, carbon steel blade, different blade shape, and such features. I do have one of those and I'm pretty sure it can come close to splitting individual atoms.

For a good value, Tojiro brand is a nice introduction to Japanese knives.
Semper Augustus

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:15 am

rocket354 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 pm
11 years ago, I bought a JA Henckels knife set for under $200. It has seven kitchen knives, shears, sharpening steel and six steak knives. They still look like-new today, and they work great--despite the fact that I've never sharpened them.
This is what we purchased. We really like them. We couldnt justify spending $500+ on knives. We've had the henckels for 10 years now...still look like new. Sharpen easy. They're just not as hip as the "higher" end metal objects with the cool name that do the same thing. Typically, the people that have the high end kitchen accessories are the ones that cool the least, lol.

msk

Post by msk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:54 am

I indulged in getting a nice present for my wife by buying numerous samples from Chroma Type 301 by F.A. Porsche. Pricey, but hey, it's a gift. DW kept adding to the set over the past several years. Looks like gift was appreciated:

Code: Select all

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRtDJFNXYOYPmwFMm6jGmvlp-AbyQ:1576586602807&q=kitchen+knives+by+porche+design&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc16vj2rzmAhV88OAKHe-kC88QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1858&bih=977

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:56 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:25 am
eonny wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm
Cutco. A representative will come to your house to sharpen your knife.
I have a fair number of Cutco knives, and I love them, but all of the paring knives have the ridges worn off the cutting areas.

Who do I contact for the sharpening service? Phone number?

Thanks,

Ralph
Asked some friends who have a Cutco set.
They wrote:Here is the link to everything they would want to know about sending their Cutco knives in for sharpening https://www.cutco.com/customer/sharpening.jsp . Phone number, email and chat is also available on that web page. The other option is to look up a Cutco dealer and have them come to their house free of charge, although I do think there are certain knives they are not able to sharpen on location. There is a link on the web page to contact an in-home service person as well.

Hope that helps,
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Second on the Global knives. Had a rooomate for a while who worked in a Michelin star kitchen. Strictly Global. No wooden handles. We have a ton of fancy knives but the Global wins. We almost never sharpen.

Forget all the ripoff woodblock sets at the retailers.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Warther knives, Dover, Ohio

DMW

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:24 pm

I cant recommend wusthof or henckel

The best for your money is victorinox.

Go on americas test kitchen for a rigorous review. Not here.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Alf 101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm

I use a chef's knife for 90% of things. I think a serrated knife though is necessary for breads. I also have a paring knife I almost never use and a boning knife I use as I do buy bigger cuts of meats sometimes and a chef's knife will lead to a lot of waste.

I do have multiple (3 or 4) chef's knives as I hate to stop to wash a knife during cooking/prepping. Sometimes I also have a sous chef :D If I was on a very tight budget or very tight storage space I guess I could make do with one.

fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:14 pm

I have a Shun knife set similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Shun-Classic-6-p ... 92&sr=8-11

Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Shun also offers free lifetime sharpening. Haven't had mine sharpened yet but they are probably due. I would recommend the brand.

b4real

Post by b4real » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 am

JA Henckels Zwilling Professional S 10 piece set bought in the late 80’s. We added the santoku knife to the set. The santoku, bread, paring, and small serrated knives get almost daily use. The knives are still in excellent condition and have never been in the dishwasher.

civility

Post by civility » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 am

We use J A Henckels, very satisfied.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:31 am

We have one very nice knife that I use for pretty much everything. We got it off the Massdrop (now its just DROP) site. https://drop.com/home-garden/drops has a list of the knives they currently have available.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 am

If they offer free sharpening, how does that work? If I had to pay to ship the knife there and back it would just be cheaper to take it to a local professional sharpener.