sheets for older, thinner mattresses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BogleFanGal

sheets for older, thinner mattresses?

Post by BogleFanGal » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Does anyone have an older mattress (like 15-20+ years old)? I cannot find sheets to fit ours - I've bought from dept stores, discount stores, bed/bath stores and returned or tossed them. They all seem to be made for today's much thicker mattresses and end up way too big and slip around - even ones with pockets. I've tried separate clips and attachments which are a royal pain.

I know the marketing mantra today is to replace mattresses every 8-10 years, but ours feels totally comfortable and is still in great shape - no jumping kids or big dogs! :D But I'm at the point of buying a new one - just to get sheets that fit!

Anyone experience this and solve the problem?

Duckie

Re: sheets for older, thinner mattresses?

Post by Duckie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:21 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:Anyone experience this and solve the problem?
Instead of buying the set (top, bottom, two cases), buy two tops as separates. It'll cost more but you can just tuck in the sheet.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I have the same recommendation as Duckie: buy two flat sheets and fold the second one over the mattress. That's what many hotels do instead of using fitted sheets for the mattress. You do have to be good at folding and tucking, with tight corners to keep everything secure.

Alternatively, look for fitted sheets meant for futon mattresses. Those are typically only 6" to 10" thick, so their fitted sheets are shallower. I've also had good luck with Target fitted sheets (sold as separates, not a set) as a couch cover on a futon couch. But I don't sleep on the couch, so I don't know how it stands up to tossing and turning.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I know your mattress is already comfortable, but how about adding a mattress topper to it? Maybe it would be even more comfortable with the benefit of the regular sheets fitting. Looks like they have 2 inch, 3 inch etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Hom ... 8521807011

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 pm

John Z

Post by John Z » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 am

I have the same problem so partially solved it by putting on a flannel fitted sheet and then the regular sheet. The flannel helps keep the regular sheet in position. Not totally a solution but does help and minimize slipping.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 am

Could always try sheet clips as a cheaper alternative.

Wally World has these for $1.36

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Ad ... k/16677216

BL

Post by BL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 am

Maybe check thrift stores for older sheets that no longer fit the thicker mattresses? The cheaper sheets seem to skimp on fabric, so that might also be worth checking if it suits you.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 am

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 pm
Anyone experience this and solve the problem?
I just do the extra tucking necessary to make "today's" fitted sheets fit my older mattress. Works. Even my housekeeper is on-board with it.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks everyone! Will check out these recommendations. :thumbsup

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 am

Look for sheets made for kids' beds. Bunk-bed and trundle mattresses are thinner than normal mattresses.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 am

I use flat sheets and just tuck them in extra on two of the four sides.

If someone is looking for a mattress topper, I highly recommend these people: http://www.zwool.com/buy-wool-online/wo ... ress-pads/

They make to requested sizes, are very nice, and the topper, which is what it is even though they call it a mattress pad, is very comfortable.

As to replacing mattresses every 8-10 years, maybe that is true of current mattresses, but my primary mattress is well, let's say I got it after I graduated from college and now I'm collecting Social Security :-)

blgaarder

Post by blgaarder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm

You might try Target's Fieldcrest sheets.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:18 pm

You might try some of the online companies that sell foam mattresses exclusively as they are usually thinner. Some of those companies also sell sheets.

The suggestion to use flat sheets only and learn how to make the bed with them is a good one. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do this.

I have found that if the bottom sheet has elastic that runs all the way around instead of only at the corners, slipping is not a problem.