Lawn Experts Help! How to get rid of this weed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Houston101

Lawn Experts Help! How to get rid of this weed?

Post by Houston101 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:52 am

New home owner here and I have been searching the internet to figure out what weed this is and how to get rid of this. Can anyone tell me what this weed is and what is the best way to get rid of it?

I know there is another weed that closes it's leaves when touched and bears purplish round flowers. This is NOT that! The leaves may appear closed because I plucked them out of the lawn. These are spreading rapidly from one corner of my lawn to other.

I am in South texas if that helps. All the pictures I saw in internet are hard to distinguish probably because I am a newbie.

sport

Re: Lawn Experts Help! How to get rid of this weed?

Post by sport » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am

A broad-leaf weed killer such as 2-4D should work. Another method is to use "Weed-and-Feed".

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 am

Take that weed into your local county extension office. They should be able to answer all your questions.
My guess is a spurge of some variety.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

atomicsquirrel

Post by atomicsquirrel » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 am

It its in your lawn , as others have stated any selective broad leaf weedkiller will do the job without harming you grass. If its in a patio or other areas were you don't care about the surrounding vegetation, then Roundup or generic equivalent will do ya. I personally always buy the generic concentrate rather than premix. You can up the strength if necessary and the cost is much much cheaper.

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am

Rather than immediately putting down weed killer, I'll offer an alternative. If you are in Houston, odds are you have st Augustine grass in your yard. Many homeowners with this type of grass cut their lawns too low which allow weeds to germinate and spread. With st Augustine, a proper cutting height is very important in order to keep the grass thick and healthy. This, in turn, is your best weed defense.

What height are you cutting your grass? For st Augustine, I would suggest a minimum height of 4 inches or (preferbaly) higher, especially this time of year with temperatures constantly in the upper 90s.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 am

Valdeselad wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Rather than immediately putting down weed killer, I'll offer an alternative. If you are in Houston, odds are you have st Augustine grass in your yard. Many homeowners with this type of grass cut their lawns too low which allow weeds to germinate and spread. With st Augustine, a proper cutting height is very important in order to keep the grass thick and healthy. This, in turn, is your best weed defense.

What height are you cutting your grass? For st Augustine, I would suggest a minimum height of 4 inches or (preferbaly) higher, especially this time of year with temperatures constantly in the upper 90s.
We have ours cut about 4-4.25 during the main part of the season. We are in the mid-Atlantic with tall fescue. Keeping it high keeps down the weeds and helps survive drought. In the mid-fall I'll have it cut a bit shorter the temps get cooler and we get more rain. This makes it easier to blow off the leaves. Even then, I don't think it goes below 3.5 inches.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:36 am

It looks like maybe a little phyllanthus, aka gripeweed, chamberbitter, etc. Can you describe it more? What does the root look like, are there little fruiting bodies on the underside of the branch?
Here's some relevant info:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2314.html
Regardless of what it is, probably preemergent herbicide is your best bet, which helps you nada for this year. So basically if it really irritates you right now, you'll have to pluck them out of the ground. Which will help immensely in keeping them from propagating.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm

The correct herbicide for this broadleaf weed is determined by the type of turfgrass; St. Augustine, Floratam, Zoysia, etc. As others have suggested, call your County Extension Service or take samples to one of their plant clinics. I'm a Master Gardener in Florida. Don't use a weed N feed product or Roundup. Definitely not Roundup. Good luck.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Houston101 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:52 am
New home owner here and I have been searching the internet to figure out what weed this is and how to get rid of this. Can anyone tell me what this weed is and what is the best way to get rid of it?

I know there is another weed that closes it's leaves when touched and bears purplish round flowers. This is NOT that! The leaves may appear closed because I plucked them out of the lawn. These are spreading rapidly from one corner of my lawn to other.

I am in South texas if that helps. All the pictures I saw in internet are hard to distinguish probably because I am a newbie.

Funny you should ask. I live in North Tx and get this stuff all the time. Both in my St Augustine's parts and Bermuda parts. Literally today one of my chores is to put some broadleaf weed killer down. My recollection is that it did work with this stuff.

It is much more heavily in the Bermuda this year. I think all the rain has made it worse. I usually go to Home Depot and get broadleaf weed killer that attaches to the end of your hose and spray it that way. By far the easiest and quickest way to apply. You can use this on Bermuda and to a limited degree in st Augustine. Check the back of the bottle. You can use almost any herbicide on Bermuda (other than round up of course) but st Augustine is more sensitive. Do not use crabgrass killer on st Augustine unless bottle specifically says you can.

If this doesn't work on the Bermuda then I'll try the a broadleaf weed killer with crabgrass control. These will tend to brown your lawn for a bit but Bermuda is very resilient. Obviously I won't use this on the st Augustine.
Last edited by JBTX on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 pm

yes. Round up won't help unless you are planning to reseed a section and want to nuke it completely.

This has been the only solution for some parts of our lawn due to heavy infestation of wiregrass. Nuke it once. Wait a week or so. Water to cause other weed seeds to sprout. Nuke it again. Seed in the fall.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

granpa

Post by granpa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Believe it's purslane. Lots of it in FtWorth area. Supposedly edible and some say they really like it in salads. Google purslane for pics to compare with what you have.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Ok. Just finished spraying the broadleaf weed killer. I have a ton of that weed in the grass. Give it a week and see if it is wilting I will probably go ahead and do the broadleaf with crab grass next week because I do have a little bit of actual crabgrass.

I also do preemergents twice a year. It helps a lot but isn't 100% effective. I'm really curious what the HOA does in common areas as they typically have less weeds than I do.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 pm

granpa wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 pm
Believe it's purslane. Lots of it in FtWorth area. Supposedly edible and some say they really like it in salads. Google purslane for pics to compare with what you have.
Don't think that is it.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:17 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm
Ok. Just finished spraying the broadleaf weed killer. I have a ton of that weed in the grass. Give it a week and see if it is wilting I will probably go ahead and do the broadleaf with crab grass next week because I do have a little bit of actual crabgrass.

I also do preemergents twice a year. It helps a lot but isn't 100% effective. I'm really curious what the HOA does in common areas as they typically have less weeds than I do.
We have done spot/small area treating for broadleaf early in the summer before the new weeds set seeds. In the newer part of our lawn this is minimal as the tall fescue pretty much chokes most of the weeds out. We are renovating the back this fall. Complete kill and reseed. The first year will require some treatment due to the latent seeds. Eventually we can drastically reduce the treatment and just cut high and spot treat.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:17 pm
JBTX wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm

We have done spot/small area treating for broadleaf early in the summer before the new weeds set seeds. In the newer part of our lawn this is minimal as the tall fescue pretty much chokes most of the weeds out. We are renovating the back this fall. Complete kill and reseed. The first year will require some treatment due to the latent seeds. Eventually we can drastically reduce the treatment and just cut high and spot treat.
Bermuda is just going to have weeds. If you use no treatments crabgrass will eventually overtake it. This is what has happened to my neighbors lawn. Now st augustine chokes out most weeds. I mow it higher than most but not as high as some here. If I mow 4 inches some blades don't get cut and in two days it needs mowing again. Plus high grass is more attractive for mosquitoes.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm

We still do pre-E in the spring. But by keeping it on the high side and thick we have been able to back off most of the summer treatment of live weeds. I'm in the mid-Atlantic so there is more rain. By fall, the weeds don't germinate again unless we get a mild winter - then some will be back as early as Feb. We are also in an area where it is a hopeless battle against mosquitoes so that isn't an issue - we just have to live with them. My bigger issue is ticks in the wild areas where there is no lawn.

Good luck.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:28 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 pm
granpa wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 pm
Don't think that is it.
Agreed. It doesn't look "fleshy" enough to be purslane. Purslane is a succulent, so it has fat, fleshy leaves, somewhat like a mini jade plant. These leaves appear to be flat. It does remind me of spurge, as another person suggested. You do not want to eat spurge: http://foragedfoodie.blogspot.com/2015/11/purslane.html

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Does it have flowers that look like small pea flowers? If so might be some kind of vetch