Best place to sell my used iPhone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
motorcyclesarecool

Best place to sell my used iPhone?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:29 am

My wife and I are switching carriers and getting new phones. I've unlocked both phones to increase their potential value. What is the best place, other than Craigslist or eBay, to sell our old phones?

Also, what are pitfalls to avoid when selling our phones?

If Craigslist really is the best way, please enlighten me as to best tactics to avoid sketchiness.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

sunny_socal

Re: Best place to sell my used iPhone?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 am

Craigslist is filled with scammers these days. You can count on several responses from 3rd world professionals the minute you post anything. I still use CL for large household items that can't be shipped but that's it. Things with little value (eg furniture) get donated instead and I take the tax writeoff.

Ebay is ideal for smaller high value items like cell phones:
- Don't use only the ebay boilerplate, add your own description
- List as many details as possible: model, RAM, year of purchase, carrier, etc
- Take a few decent photos
- Search for similar items in similar condition to establish a price, look for "buy it now" only
- Post it for slightly less than the others. Use "buy it now" and paypal as the only option
- Include free shipping

You'll have it sold in 24 hours with little hassle.

ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 am

Check out Swappa. I just sold 2 phones on there and the process was much better than eBay.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 am

In addition to ebay, swappa is good. I've also bought and sold phones on craigslist successfully. I indicate that the buyer needs to call me. I won't respond to emails or texts. When I talk to the buyer I make a determination that s/he is legit (Ive never had a caller who wasn't), then I meet them inside a McDonald's near me. I've never had a problem.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 am

I sell nothing on eBay anymore. It's far too easy for scammers to take your phone for free. All they need to do is take a picture of their broken screen phone and send it to eBay saying it arrived "not as described". Either eBay or paypal will refund your money and you are stuck. Plenty of members with 100% and hundreds of buys/sells that are easy enough to accumulate before they go on a wide spread scamming spree.

Craigslist. Meet where you feel comfortable. Lots of police stations or other businesses set up CL meet areas. Take advantage of them. Accept only cash in person. This also will get you the most possible money. Expect to demonstrate that the phone works (call using your sim card, then pull the card).

Any of the usell kind of places are safe and work well (I've used them for broken phones) but where you'll get $100 on craigslist, expect $10 on usell.

I've sold a number of phones on both craigslist for good, working phones and usell for broken ones and have been satisfied with both.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

divideby9

Post by divideby9 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I agree with the swappa.com answers. I've bought and sold there, great experience. It's way to easy to get scammed on ebay.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Another vote for Swappa.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I've sold several iPhones to gazelle.com. Not the best to get the highest price, but super easy.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:25 pm

I just sold several old tech items to a site called decluttr.com.

There's a 10% bonus code (PENNY10) and look for a referral link for an extra $10. Try to sell some other junk as well to get as much of the bonus as possible. They take old CDs and DVDs as well.

DonutEater

Post by DonutEater » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm

I have sold multiple iPhones on OfferUp. Both sold in less than three days for top dollar. I always meet in the parking lot of a police station or sheriff's office to do the transaction. I also get a photo of their license plate in case they are dumb enough to give me fake bills in front of the police station.
Last edited by DonutEater on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:43 pm

I've sold multiple phones(10 or so) over the years and many, many other items on ebay without any problems.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Another CL scam is make a recording of your voice, such as answering a phone call by "press 23.i and say" something that your voice print could be used to their advantage.

I had no issue yet selling my phones on eBay, but I'll keep that in mind and check out Swappa. Another possibility is "Nextdoor.com", selling very LOCALLY.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 am

Always take mine to the Apple store and exchange for gift cards--last one was a 5S for $100. Quick, easy, and safe.
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 am

I have sold over 50 phones on Craigslist, OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace.

For the more expensive ones, I always meet at a corp owned carrier store (Verizon, Sprint, etc). The buyer then has piece of mind that the phone activates and you are good to go.

For the cheaper phones, gas station, parked right in front of the very visible camera.

Use a Google voice, or burner number when listing as well. You can easily block the spam texts.

pjohnson

Post by pjohnson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

I've had much more luck with Facebook MarketPlace and LetGO than anything else. I've never sold any electronics though. Mainly just concert tickets and furniture. I think it would likely be similar or even easier to sell electronics though because they are higher value.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Surprised no one mentioned Amazon. It is very seller friendly.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm
Are you thinking trade in?

Unless you are "ungated" in cell phones (or Apple products), you can't sell them there. A vast majority of phones also fall under "collectible", another gated category.

For only selling one or two, not worth the time.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by BogleBoogie on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm
Are you thinking trade in?

Unless you are "ungated" in cell phones (or Apple products), you can't sell them there. A vast majority of phones also fall under "collectible", another gated category.

For only selling one or two, not worth the time.
I think you're right for some products. Amazon must have just updated this policy. I sold my iPhone last year on Amazon but that is likely the last time I'll be able to.
Edit: I think you can still sell your used iPhone on Amazon.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Weird, I checked from iPhone 5C through iPhone 7 and was not allowed to list any of them. Would receive a message after clicking "Sell on Amazon".

knick17

Post by knick17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:14 pm

As far as I know once your phone is used its value drops for over 30%. IPhone has better value than other phones for sure. Ebay is usually a good platform and I have used it before. For sure you will have to be prepared to negotiate.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm

I did a trade-in via Amazon.
Remarkably simple and hassle free.
The phone had some condition issues which I thought would lower the appraised value, but after Amazon received and inspected the phone they gave me the full appraised value.

Yes, you can do better on Ebay or Craigslist or all those other sites, but this was a safer option with minimal headache for me.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm

My last one, an iPhone 6, was simply traded it in for credit at the Apple Store. I will do the same or similar when I get rid of my current one.

While it may not net the most money, it is the easy button for me with zero hassle or dealing with craigslist or FTF selling sites. I have previously used Ebay's trade in options and will always consider Amazon trade ins.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:54 pm

CraigsList is fine, as long as you use common sense. Don't fall for stupid scams like someone wiring money or asking you for to take cashier's check or anything of the like. Meet at your bank, during business hours in the lobby. Show them it works. Put the cash in your account immediately. Go with a buddy. Never give them any of your pers info like name or address. And duh, wipe the phone first.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 pm

How do you unlock the phone?

Which model are you trying to sell? There may be folks here interested.

My kiddo needs an upgrade, she is using a 5s I believe and it is acting up. Probably slam worn out from overuse!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:53 am

Honestly Facebook has so many groups / selling pages now that make it super easy to sell used items. They facilitate paying through Paypal and I've heard it's very secure. In my opinion you always end up getting more money through selling on hyperlocal tools like Facebook or Craigslislt, vs ebay. There is less competition and people like the idea of a seller located nearby.

student

Post by student » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 am

I also have reasonable experiences with Amazon. If you are upgrading, you may try to cell your old phone at your cell phone company. I know T-Mobile will do buy back when you buy a new phone from them.

jackalope10101

Post by jackalope10101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 am

With iPhone 8 tag of $1000 this year, selling on eBay and Craigslist will probably get you the most cash for your used iPhone. I usually prefer Swappa and CellCashier since both companies really try to give you the most cash for your old iPhone. Although, with Swappa you may get a little bit more cash but with CellCashier it is a little bit faster when it comes to payments and turn around processing time. Just shop around for the best quote!

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:15 pm

ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 am
Check out Swappa. I just sold 2 phones on there and the process was much better than eBay.
I can second that suggestion. I just sold two phones and ended up with very good deals. Agree that the process is simpler than eBay