Best place to find jobs and how to know the pay/benefits before applying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Derivative

Best place to find jobs and how to know the pay/benefits before applying?

Post by Derivative »

Where is the best place to find jobs and how to know the pay/benefits before applying?

Is searching online the best place to find available jobs in your area?

Also, some of them do not post pay/benefit information. Should I call them and ask them before applying? I don't want to apply and not like the pay/benefits?

I'm looking at hospital jobs for those with Bachelor's degrees.
Last edited by Derivative on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Re: Best place to find jobs and how to know the pay/benefits before applying?

Post by runner3081 »

In most places, benefits and pay will not be disclosed until the time of the offer. No real point of calling either.

Glassdoor.com has a few starting points for salaries in companies.

Online is the way to go for job searching. Most large companies won't even take in-person applications or interest.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Answer depends a little bit on your area of expertise and your experience, I would think...
Attempted new signature...
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Talk to your seniors. Aka, folks that graduated a few years before you.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Depends on the job. If you already have work experience i would say personal networking, recruiters and linked in. Some jobs sites like Indeed are good to see what is out there and available but the hit rate for even getting any response is really low. Typically when I have gotten jobs it is either through connections or headhunters.
Topic Author
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

So usually you cannot know how much per hour they are paying and what type of benefits they are giving you? I don't want to apply to only reject the job offer. What if you are very wealthy and are very selective about the type of job and benefits that are provided?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Derivative wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 pm So usually you cannot know how much per hour they are paying and what type of benefits they are giving you? I don't want to apply to only reject the job offer. What if you are very wealthy and are very selective about the type of job and benefits that are provided?
Sometimes the job sites give you a pay range. You typically have an idea based upon either that or the job title what the pay range could be. But beyond that those sort of questions get explored only if they are interested enough in you to call you back. If dealing with a headhunter then they can probably give you a better idea of pay and maybe benefits.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Derivative wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 pm So usually you cannot know how much per hour they are paying and what type of benefits they are giving you? I don't want to apply to only reject the job offer. What if you are very wealthy and are very selective about the type of job and benefits that are provided?
If you ask them before a first interview about pay and benefits, odds are you will not be called back. It is ok to apply and then not accept the offer - everyone understands that mismatches happen - but you have to indicate that you are actually interested in the job itself. If you are very wealthy, you probably don't need to worry about the pay and benefits? If there's a particular benefit you need, the right time to discuss is when they tell you about pay and benefits, usually before a written offer but after all the interviews.

In general, if you have very particular requirements for jobs you want to take, the best way is to work with a recruiter. The recruiter will be told the necessary skills and pay of many jobs and will be able to tell you only about the ones that you would be interested in. The recruiter may also be able to screen out jobs without the required benefits.

However, the recruiter will not take your business unless they think you can be hired. So this only works once you have work experience in the field that would make you an attractive candidate.

You sound like you've never looked for a job before; is that the case? We can give more specific advice if we know what kind of job you are looking for and what education you have.
Topic Author
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Tamarind wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:58 am
If you ask them before a first interview about pay and benefits, odds are you will not be called back. It is ok to apply and then not accept the offer - everyone understands that mismatches happen - but you have to indicate that you are actually interested in the job itself. If you are very wealthy, you probably don't need to worry about the pay and benefits? If there's a particular benefit you need, the right time to discuss is when they tell you about pay and benefits, usually before a written offer but after all the interviews.

In general, if you have very particular requirements for jobs you want to take, the best way is to work with a recruiter. The recruiter will be told the necessary skills and pay of many jobs and will be able to tell you only about the ones that you would be interested in. The recruiter may also be able to screen out jobs without the required benefits.

However, the recruiter will not take your business unless they think you can be hired. So this only works once you have work experience in the field that would make you an attractive candidate.

You sound like you've never looked for a job before; is that the case? We can give more specific advice if we know what kind of job you are looking for and what education you have.
Why would employers not post salary and benefits and waste time interviewing people that may not accept in the end? Do most people interview at multiple jobs and wait for all job offers before accepting or do they just accept the first one?

I have a Bachelor's from top 10 university and looking for hospital job for medical school purposes.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Does the why really matter? It is what it is and what you're looking for isn't out there. The best currently available alternatives have been suggested above.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Derivative wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 am
Why would employers not post salary and benefits and waste time interviewing people that may not accept in the end? Do most people interview at multiple jobs and wait for all job offers before accepting or do they just accept the first one?

I have a Bachelor's from top 10 university and looking for hospital job for medical school purposes.
Derivative,

<<Why would employers not post salary and benefits and waste time interviewing people that may not accept in the end?>>

Because they could offer you a lower salary if you do not know the market rate.

<<Do most people interview at multiple jobs and wait for all job offers before accepting or do they just accept the first one?>>

It depends on whether they desperately need a job.

<<I have a Bachelor's from top 10 university and looking for hospital job for medical school purposes.>>

What is your degree in?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Since the employer can get the skills they want at the compensation, they are willing to pay.
Employers and teams are selective in whom they interview, they know who will accept the offer, who will stay long time with the Company, etc. the company just do need three good potential candidates to make the final decision.

Unless your skills are most sought after and then you are invited to apply at your terms.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

Have you inquired for help at your Top 10 university's career center? Have you asked around at your Top 10 university's hospital? I would think a graduate of a top 10 university expecting to go to medical school would have learnt a little resourcefulness along the way, have already started to develop a network in the field they are interested in and have had peers go through the process that they could learn from.
Topic Author
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

avalpert wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am

Have you inquired for help at your Top 10 university's career center? Have you asked around at your Top 10 university's hospital? I would think a graduate of a top 10 university expecting to go to medical school would have learnt a little resourcefulness along the way, have already started to develop a network in the field they are interested in and have had peers go through the process that they could learn from.
I am not currently located near my alma mater and am a few years out of college.. Again, I am currently self-employed.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

So what? You are an alumnus and usually universities are receptive to their graduates. Leverage your alumni network. A Top Ten university would have a national network.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

Derivative wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am
avalpert wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am

I am not currently located near my alma mater and am a few years out of college.. Again, I am currently self-employed.
Every Top 10 university's career center has an email address and a phone number - and all the ones I am familiar with have job boards and advisers for alumni to access - not to mention alumni networks globally. I mean we are talking about Ivy league institutions, MIT, U Chicago, Duke, Stanford, etc. - you really don't think they are positioned to support alumni who aren't local anymore?

Post by 123 »

If you look for jobs with governmental organizations, city, county, state, federal, etc (including associated schools/universities or hospitals) salaries are often readily available, all you have to do is call up and ask or do a little web searching. Sometimes you find a salary range that is significantly large that it doesn't tell you anything.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

lol this really made me laugh.

In all seriousness, most people interview with whoever will invite them over, then hope to get AN offer. Maybe.

If you don't like the offer, you are free to negotiate. I would encourage you to find out how much leverage you have here. Most 25 year olds don't have much leverage. I'm not saying you personally don't but it's unlikely.

If you are applying at a large employer, like a F500 company, their website typically has benefits information under the careers section. Most people aren't in a position to turn down jobs because of an unacceptable 401k match.
financeidiot

Post by financeidiot »

Use Glassdoor and LinkedIn Salary to get a salary range for the positions you're looking for. As long as you're close to the average salary, don't fret too much about it early in your career. The more removed from school you are, the less your alma mater matters and the more your job experience does.

If you can get into a situation with a good manager, learning opportunities, and near average pay you're setting yourself up well to go back to med school (good experience and references) or job hop to something better (higher pay, more responsibility, etc.). The less experience you have, the more important it is to establish yourself as someone who is talented and enjoyable to work with than to get top dollar.

To find jobs:
1. Pick a few positions at hospitals you would want to have and determine their salary ranges on LinkedIn and Glassdoor.
2. Contact your career center and ask for all the help they will give you.
3. Set up a LinkedIn profile and turn on the "looking for a job" function (someone might reach out to you with an offer)
4. Post your resume on Indeed, Monster, and the other job sites.
5. Apply to positions directly through the websites of your top choices.
6. Set up searches on Indeed, Monster, and other job sites and apply to potential fits.
7. Go to networking and educational events for people in your field and alumni from your alma mater. Make friends and demonstrate that you're a talented individual who is good to work with.

You'll eventually find a job or have a job come to you through one of these strategies.
Kuznec

Post by Kuznec »

I would advise you to send out dozens of CVs on job search sites every day, it will be more effective, especially at this age.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

IMHO, you are looking at this totally wrong.

What you are looking for is a job that will pay you well without consideration of the needs of the market, or your skills/abilities. This will most certainly fail.

If you look at a dollar as a certificate of service, then the perspective becomes a bit more clear. You should be asking: "How can I serve the market place?" Applying the filter of your skills and abilities will direct you into a career that is suitable. The better you serve your customers, the higher your compensation. Your goal should be to find a way to serve people exceedingly well.

The author who is really good at explaining all of this stuff is Rabbi Daniel Lapin. While not easy reads, they are chock full of information on how to boost one's income. The books can be borrowed from the library or purchased on your own. He has an "Income Abundance" set, which includes 4 items for $60. Money well spent.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

djpeteski wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 am IMHO, you are looking at this totally wrong.
I agree but in a different way.

Your goal is to get a job that will boost your chances of getting into medical school?
1. Who cares about pay and benefits? You won't be there long.
2. Why not just keep doing what you're doing and volunteer at a hospital or in a research lab? That plus self-made business and top 10 university degree will easily get you in somewhere.
casualflower

Post by casualflower »

Sending out resumes to dozens of employers is terrible advice. Instead, find companies you want to work at and jobs you want by using personal referrals.

Connect with other human beings, ideally family, friends, and colleagues. Discuss your goals. Tell them what you're looking for. Ask them for advice. They will point you to other personal contacts. Find someone who has an awesome job or works at an awesome company. Talk to that person and find out the work environment and pay. Ask to get connected with the person who would be your boss. Talk to that person and explain how you can bring value to the company.

Repeat.

Make one solid connection with a potential boss a week and you're on your way.

Also, read this guy: http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/blog