[Prevent mail theft; sign for USPS Informed Delivery]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX
Posts: 3935
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 am

verbose wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 am
Thanks, but I'm not sure any of this will help. My mailbox is so small. The mail that fills it on the day it's delivered is the stack of local flyers. This stack doesn't even have an address on it. I don't think I can opt out of it. I get very little other junk mail due to opting out years ago.

Actually, it's so difficult to fit this mess of flyers into all the tiny mailboxes in our neighborhood mailroom that the mail carrier started leaving a pile of them in a corner. Anyone who actually wanted one could take one and the rest were recycled when the next stack came in. This seemed like a win-win, except for the marketers. The mailroom already has recycle bins in it. If it didn't, some people would just throw all the junk on the floor. So I guess the carrier didn't see the point of stuffing all the mailboxes just to see almost all of that back in the recycle bin the next day. It has to be disheartening.

But, the mail carrier got into a lot of trouble for that from USPS. Now they are shoved into our boxes with the mail we might actually want wrapped inside. The flyers fit like a tube in the box, making it difficult for the carrier to put more mail in if the tube is still in there the next day. I have to be sure to empty the box in case it's the day those were delivered. Some residents have not done that and the mail carrier has stopped their mail due to a full mailbox. Our neighborhood has a terrible relationship with our mail carrier, the local post office and apparently the postal inspector too. They are really tired of hearing us complain about mis-delivered mail, missing mail, opened mail and missing packages. Go figure.

So, I do go to the mailbox nearly every day. I don't want to end up in a tit-for-tat tussle with the mail carrier like some of my neighbors. It's stupid, but...
JBTX wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 pm
verbose wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm
I have this because my mail is a quarter mile away in a community mailroom.

The service doesn't tell you about periodicals and bulk mail. If you have a small mailbox (I do), then it can still be full. If the mail carrier can't fit more mail in, your mail can be held at the post office.

In addition, I've received two pieces of mail that were not included in the emails, but should have been. One was a priority mail envelope containing my new passport and the other, about a whttp://www.ecocycle.org/junkmaileek later, was a first-class mail envelope containing my expired passport. I don't know if mail from the Feds enters the system downstream somewhere??
You may want to try some of these to reduce clutter.

http://www.directmail.com/mail_preference/

https://catalogchoice.org

https://dmachoice.thedma.org


http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
They're worth a try but I'm sure there will be residual junk. Unfortunately all that junk is how USPS stays financially afloat so it's not surprising that having the carrier not put them in the boxes caused a stink. Given this is a persistent issue seems like the community center would invest in some bigger mailboxes?

mouses
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by mouses » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am

docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
This would have been useful 20 years ago. Today, all of my USPS mail could go straight into the trash and I wouldn't miss anything important.

What we really need is a way to opt out of bulk mail like they have in the Netherlands. We can't have that because it would kill the USPS. The Post Office was meant to provide universal mail service, but as organic mail volume and revenue has fallen off a cliff, the service has been captured by and is now dependent upon marketers.

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.

docbrown
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by docbrown » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 am

mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
My solution required a lot less work. I view marketing as an unasked for intrusion into my life, so I feel zero responsibility to spend my valuable time requesting it to please, pretty please, just stop.
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.

abner kravitz
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
Is that you, Kramer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hox-ni8geIw

Iliketoridemybike
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am

mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
This would have been useful 20 years ago. Today, all of my USPS mail could go straight into the trash and I wouldn't miss anything important.

What we really need is a way to opt out of bulk mail like they have in the Netherlands. We can't have that because it would kill the USPS. The Post Office was meant to provide universal mail service, but as organic mail volume and revenue has fallen off a cliff, the service has been captured by and is now dependent upon marketers.

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
I was in the direct mail business years ago. A task like this is nearly impossible. Your data is part of a number of data bases. You would constantly be chasing your tail.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by avalpert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am

digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am
I am amazed at the number of Bogleheads posting to this thread who would think of this as a beneficial service.

Please read the documentation carefully. In my mind, the primary benefit is to the mailer not the mail recipient. There is a plethora of reasons why a mailer would want this. We (the mail recipients) are not USPS clients — we're just consumers.
I am amazed by this post - it is ridiculous. Advertisers are the customers of television shows - doesn't mean viewers don't find value in the them.

This has been a beneficial service for me, full stop. When I am away from home but expecting something it helps me know that it arrived, when I am home it helps me know if I need to bother picking up my mail. Would I pay for the service, probably not I'm not good at spending money on small conveniences - but I certainly get benefit from it and am thankful someone else is willing to pay so I can have it even if it benefits them too.

And that is the notion that makes your post ridiculous - I don't need to be so spiteful of someone else benefiting from something to not see the benefit I get from it.

not4me
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by not4me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

avalpert wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am
am thankful someone else is willing to pay
Admittedly, I haven't read all of all the posts, but this touches on about the 2nd or 3rd thing I wondered about when I first heard of it & haven't seen it addressed. Who is the benefactor?

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4300
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by dratkinson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Not wanting to derail topic, but if you have a remote mailbox and just want to avoid unnecessary trips, remote alert systems do exist. See topic: USPS, Remote Mailbox Alert: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=225815
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
digarei
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by digarei » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

avalpert wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am
digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am
I am amazed at the number of Bogleheads posting to this thread who would think of this as a beneficial service.

Please read the documentation carefully. In my mind, the primary benefit is to the mailer not the mail recipient. There is a plethora of reasons why a mailer would want this. We (the mail recipients) are not USPS clients — we're just consumers.
I am amazed by this post - it is ridiculous. Advertisers are the customers of television shows - doesn't mean viewers don't find value in the them.

This has been a beneficial service for me, full stop. When I am away from home but expecting something it helps me know that it arrived, when I am home it helps me know if I need to bother picking up my mail. Would I pay for the service, probably not I'm not good at spending money on small conveniences - but I certainly get benefit from it and am thankful someone else is willing to pay so I can have it even if it benefits them too.

And that is the notion that makes your post ridiculous - I don't need to be so spiteful of someone else benefiting from something to not see the benefit I get from it.
No malice intended. My point is that the main benefit is to the client, not the consumer. It's clearly a marketing tool designed to get us to open, read and act on junk mail.

Some people may perceive a benefit from the purchase of a lottery ticket or entering sweepstakes. Yet the benefit to the consumer is slight/negligible. Others have already pointed out the issues (e.g. inconsistent performance, data collection, problems with account setup) with some of the alleged consumer 'benefits' of this service.

In contrast, examine just a few of the client benefits promoted by the USPS. See page 7 of the documentation:
http://I.imgur.com/WX2PfWu.jpg

Source: https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/infor ... erview.pdf

Television was suggested as a counter example: "doesn't mean viewers don't find value in [television shows]." Indeed, many do perceive value in watching television. Arguably, greater value accrues to the advertiser, not the consumer. Perhaps you've heard television described this way: the 'BoobTube'. 😊
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2223
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm

digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm
Others have already pointed out the issues (e.g. inconsistent performance, data collection, problems with account setup) with some of the alleged consumer 'benefits' of this service.
(bolding added) Have you missed the "beta" part? ;)

Maybe you could suggest to the USPS to offer an ad-free service for a small fee. How much would you pay for it?

I have yet to receive an email from this service, so I will reserve final judgement on how useful it is for me. In other words, I don't know yet whether it's easy to extract valuable information from the emails (and ignore advertisement clutter). But no one held a gun to my head and forced me to sign up; I suspect it will be possible to stop it if I find it to not be useful (worst case, gmail has filters).

JBTX
Posts: 3935
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 pm

digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm
avalpert wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am
digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am
I am amazed at the number of Bogleheads posting to this thread who would think of this as a beneficial service.

Please read the documentation carefully. In my mind, the primary benefit is to the mailer not the mail recipient. There is a plethora of reasons why a mailer would want this. We (the mail recipients) are not USPS clients — we're just consumers.
I am amazed by this post - it is ridiculous. Advertisers are the customers of television shows - doesn't mean viewers don't find value in the them.

This has been a beneficial service for me, full stop. When I am away from home but expecting something it helps me know that it arrived, when I am home it helps me know if I need to bother picking up my mail. Would I pay for the service, probably not I'm not good at spending money on small conveniences - but I certainly get benefit from it and am thankful someone else is willing to pay so I can have it even if it benefits them too.

And that is the notion that makes your post ridiculous - I don't need to be so spiteful of someone else benefiting from something to not see the benefit I get from it.
No malice intended. My point is that the main benefit is to the client, not the consumer. It's clearly a marketing tool designed to get us to open, read and act on junk mail.

Some people may perceive a benefit from the purchase of a lottery ticket or entering sweepstakes. Yet the benefit to the consumer is slight/negligible. Others have already pointed out the issues (e.g. inconsistent performance, data collection, problems with account setup) with some of the alleged consumer 'benefits' of this service.

In contrast, examine just a few of the client benefits promoted by the USPS. See page 7 of the documentation:
http://I.imgur.com/WX2PfWu.jpg

Source: https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/infor ... erview.pdf

Television was suggested as a counter example: "doesn't mean viewers don't find value in [television shows]." Indeed, many do perceive value in watching television. Arguably, greater value accrues to the advertiser, not the consumer. Perhaps you've heard television described this way: the 'BoobTube'. 😊
It is possible to benefit both. In general nobody wants to see ads but to the extent they target your specific needs they are more useful.

If something provides value to me, why shun it if it also provides value to other parties? Not everything is a zero sum game. I signed up yesterday. Haven't seen anything yet.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by avalpert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 pm

digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm
avalpert wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am
digarei wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am
I am amazed at the number of Bogleheads posting to this thread who would think of this as a beneficial service.

Please read the documentation carefully. In my mind, the primary benefit is to the mailer not the mail recipient. There is a plethora of reasons why a mailer would want this. We (the mail recipients) are not USPS clients — we're just consumers.
I am amazed by this post - it is ridiculous. Advertisers are the customers of television shows - doesn't mean viewers don't find value in the them.

This has been a beneficial service for me, full stop. When I am away from home but expecting something it helps me know that it arrived, when I am home it helps me know if I need to bother picking up my mail. Would I pay for the service, probably not I'm not good at spending money on small conveniences - but I certainly get benefit from it and am thankful someone else is willing to pay so I can have it even if it benefits them too.

And that is the notion that makes your post ridiculous - I don't need to be so spiteful of someone else benefiting from something to not see the benefit I get from it.
No malice intended. My point is that the main benefit is to the client, not the consumer. It's clearly a marketing tool designed to get us to open, read and act on junk mail.

Some people may perceive a benefit from the purchase of a lottery ticket or entering sweepstakes. Yet the benefit to the consumer is slight/negligible. Others have already pointed out the issues (e.g. inconsistent performance, data collection, problems with account setup) with some of the alleged consumer 'benefits' of this service.

In contrast, examine just a few of the client benefits promoted by the USPS. See page 7 of the documentation:
http://I.imgur.com/WX2PfWu.jpg

Source: https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/infor ... erview.pdf

Television was suggested as a counter example: "doesn't mean viewers don't find value in [television shows]." Indeed, many do perceive value in watching television. Arguably, greater value accrues to the advertiser, not the consumer. Perhaps you've heard television described this way: the 'BoobTube'. 😊
The irony of having this argument made on the internet shouldn't be lost on anyone.

Actually, I have always been very skeptical of the return on mass marketing expenses - on the other hand I have received lots of entertainment value on ad-supported medium (not to mention productivity value from products like gmail, educational value from products like investopedia, financial value from discussion platforms like fatwallet...). I don't really care who gets the 'primary' benefit (whatever that really means) - you were amazed at the people who find this a beneficial service and the reason you stated was because the 'primary benefit' was to the mailer, and I remain amazed that someone could make that argument.

User avatar
digarei
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by digarei » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Maybe you could suggest to the USPS to offer an ad-free service for a small fee. How much would you pay for it?
My answer would be "not much" or an amount approaching zero. If the service meant that I'd only receive ads for products I was interested in, well, I still wouldn't pay for it but I'd pay more attention to the content. Perhaps I'm an exception? I mute the volume and avert my eyes (really) when a YouTube video I really want to see is preceded with a non-skippable advertisement. I don't want even the merest suggestion of the product to imprint on my brain. It's recompense for a childhood spent in front of the television. 😳
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

FactualFran
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by FactualFran » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm

I started receiving those emails about four months ago but never signed up to receive them. I have not opened any of them. I am wary of unsolicited email. I wish that those who send unsolicited email would stop sending the email to those who have not explicitly opted in.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3346
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:51 pm
Do folks still get things of value in the mail? I switched everything to paperless billing. I occasionally get replacement credit or debit cards in the mail, but everything else is junk.
Exactly. I don't need to be on the look out for missing credit card statements or bank statements as I don't get any delivered via the post office. I probably only pick up my mail twice a week.

Atgard
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Atgard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:24 pm

I find it quite useful. It's free, so there's not really any downside.

The pros are that I know when (for example) an important bill, check, or notice is coming. Then I don't have to have to nag a client for his late payment if I see it will show up in my mailbox later that day. It also helps when I'm out of town, I can choose when I need to ask a friend to pick up my mail and when I can probably ignore it for a few more days.

The cons are that it only shows flat, normal-sized mail (not bulky or large items). So it is blind to some important mail that comes in A4 flat envelopes. So you can't 100% rely on it to avoid checking mail since there are some things it won't scan.

P.S.: I think it took 3-7 days or something after I signed up to start seeing the mail that would arrive. You can choose to login or just get an email from USPS each morning with the scanned pics of the mail that should arrive that day.

Iliketoridemybike
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm

It still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if someone can figure out who sends all that crap that ends up in my spam folder that is something I would be interested in. :D

michaeljc70
Posts: 3346
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm
It still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if someone can figure out who sends all that crap that ends up in my spam folder that is something I would be interested in. :D
I agree. First of all, it won't tell you of any mail that was stolen before it got to the final post office.

tj
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by tj » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:00 pm

BanditKing wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm
Crazy website. I went to sign up and create an account. It says I already have an account.

OK, great. Please send me my username.

Can't do that, you have to create a new account. Ok fine.

Sorry, can't create a new account, you already have one.

*facepalm* :oops:
This happened to me too. I signed up with a different email address.

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1537
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:01 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm
It still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if someone can figure out who sends all that crap that ends up in my spam folder that is something I would be interested in. :D
I agree. First of all, it won't tell you of any mail that was stolen before it got to the final post office.
Just because it won't eliminate all possible forms of mail theft doesn't mean it's not useful. It's useful to me because it saves me unnecessary trips to the mailbox, and it alerts me to some potential forms of mail theft. And it's useful to my brother and sister-in-law because they have an unlocked mailbox.
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm
It still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if someone can figure out who sends all that crap that ends up in my spam folder that is something I would be interested in. :D
I agree. First of all, it won't tell you of any mail that was stolen before it got to the final post office.
It does tell me if I should care about picking up the mail that day or wait for tomorrow. I find that little bit useful. If only they could tell me when the mail is in the box, like they do with tracked packages.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

azurekep
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by azurekep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Does the service require a photo ID to verify identity and address before signing up?

michaeljc70
Posts: 3346
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm
It still seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if someone can figure out who sends all that crap that ends up in my spam folder that is something I would be interested in. :D
I agree. First of all, it won't tell you of any mail that was stolen before it got to the final post office.
It does tell me if I should care about picking up the mail that day or wait for tomorrow. I find that little bit useful. If only they could tell me when the mail is in the box, like they do with tracked packages.
How far is your mailbox? It would take me longer to look at the email than just go to the mailbox!

Almost there
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Arizona USA

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Almost there » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Go for a walk to your mailbox and see it as exercise instead of a nuisance. Change your credit card and utility statements to paperless.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

azurekep wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm
Does the service require a photo ID to verify identity and address before signing up?
When I signed up online for the "my usps" account which seems to be required, I was presented with four nexus (?) type questions similar to those to identify yourself to receive your credit reports online.

ikowik
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by ikowik » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm
azurekep wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm
Does the service require a photo ID to verify identity and address before signing up?
When I signed up online for the "my usps" account which seems to be required, I was presented with four nexus (?) type questions similar to those to identify yourself to receive your credit reports online.
Same experience, and the verification did not succeed. Most likely because my credit reports are frozen, has happened before. There is an option to go in person to a USPS office and verify your identity. Not sure if I want to go through with this to see scans of junk mail in my inbox daily.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2223
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm
azurekep wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm
Does the service require a photo ID to verify identity and address before signing up?
When I signed up online for the "my usps" account which seems to be required, I was presented with four nexus (?) type questions similar to those to identify yourself to receive your credit reports online.

That's what I went through yesterday. I already had a USPS account from a recent eclipse stamp order, but it wasn't verified. The process was pretty easy and seamless.

mouses
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 am

docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 am
mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
My solution required a lot less work. I view marketing as an unasked for intrusion into my life, so I feel zero responsibility to spend my valuable time requesting it to please, pretty please, just stop.
Fine. Then you get to spend your time throwing it into the recycle bin and complaining, when 10-20 minutes on the phone could stop 90+% of it.

mouses
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 am

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am
mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
This would have been useful 20 years ago. Today, all of my USPS mail could go straight into the trash and I wouldn't miss anything important.

What we really need is a way to opt out of bulk mail like they have in the Netherlands. We can't have that because it would kill the USPS. The Post Office was meant to provide universal mail service, but as organic mail volume and revenue has fallen off a cliff, the service has been captured by and is now dependent upon marketers.

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
I was in the direct mail business years ago. A task like this is nearly impossible. Your data is part of a number of data bases. You would constantly be chasing your tail.
No. I did this quite successfully. The key is to call every place that sends you junk mail and ask them to stop and not sell or rent your name to anyone. It takes a month or two to get everyone.

Then later when you buy something online, you may on rare occasions find that place sends junk and hands out your name, so you have to do it to a much smaller degree again. (And never buy from that place again, Swanson Vitamins and National Wildlife Federation, I'm talking to you.)

But it has been years now since I did this and the only place I get junk mail from is RedPlum and a local magazine. It's not RedPlum's fault - I am off their mailing list, but the letter carrier seems to just fill all the mailboxes anyway.

Iliketoridemybike
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 am
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am
mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
This would have been useful 20 years ago. Today, all of my USPS mail could go straight into the trash and I wouldn't miss anything important.

What we really need is a way to opt out of bulk mail like they have in the Netherlands. We can't have that because it would kill the USPS. The Post Office was meant to provide universal mail service, but as organic mail volume and revenue has fallen off a cliff, the service has been captured by and is now dependent upon marketers.

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
I was in the direct mail business years ago. A task like this is nearly impossible. Your data is part of a number of data bases. You would constantly be chasing your tail.
No. I did this quite successfully. The key is to call every place that sends you junk mail and ask them to stop and not sell or rent your name to anyone. It takes a month or two to get everyone.

Then later when you buy something online, you may on rare occasions find that place sends junk and hands out your name, so you have to do it to a much smaller degree again. (And never buy from that place again, Swanson Vitamins and National Wildlife Federation, I'm talking to you.)

But it has been years now since I did this and the only place I get junk mail from is RedPlum and a local magazine. It's not RedPlum's fault - I am off their mailing list, but the letter carrier seems to just fill all the mailboxes anyway.
But you still get junk mail after spending a lot of time to not get junk mail so as I said, it is nearly impossible to make it stop. You are also still on lists that will be used for future mailings of junk. County resident, taxpayer, voter, driver's license, etc. Your name is out there, waiting to be sold...to a junk mailer. Ahhhhhh. Make it stop :D

abner kravitz
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:51 pm
Do folks still get things of value in the mail? I switched everything to paperless billing. I occasionally get replacement credit or debit cards in the mail, but everything else is junk.
Exactly. I don't need to be on the look out for missing credit card statements or bank statements as I don't get any delivered via the post office. I probably only pick up my mail twice a week.
Official government notices (IRS, etc) still come through regular mail. Today was my first day using this new service, and I see I have a notice for jury duty :annoyed

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks to the OP for the thread - I signed up yesterday. Like others above, I had to do the in-person verification at the Post Office, likely because I have frozen my credit.

(A quick note: For in-person verification, the Post Office expects you to have printed or smartphoned an email from them with a barcode for them to scan. To get the email from them, you have to scroll to the bottom of their webpage after selecting in-person verification and hit a "Continue" button that may not be visible unless you scroll down a ways. I missed this the first time and had to make a second trip to the Post Office.)

When I read the OP, I was interested in the service because of a recent issue with USPS that happened to me. While I was on vacation with mail on hold for a week, my neighbor called me to tell me he found a piece of my mail laying on the street. When he told me the sender's name, I immediately identified it as someone who had been very late in paying me money owed. Had my neighbor not rescued the envelope, I would have returned from vacation, the person would have told me they mailed me a check, and I would have been unsure whether or not to believe them. If I'd had informed delivery during such an experience, I'd know they were telling the truth even if my neighbor hadn't rescued the envelope.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

Ice-9 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 am
If I'd had informed delivery during such an experience, I'd know they were telling the truth even if my neighbor hadn't rescued the envelope.
Half a thought here. If you had saved or printed off that image and the mail got lost you would at least have something to show the post office. I say "half" a thought because I don't know if that would actually help in any way.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

mouses
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 am
mouses wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 am
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am
mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am
docbrown wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
This would have been useful 20 years ago. Today, all of my USPS mail could go straight into the trash and I wouldn't miss anything important.

What we really need is a way to opt out of bulk mail like they have in the Netherlands. We can't have that because it would kill the USPS. The Post Office was meant to provide universal mail service, but as organic mail volume and revenue has fallen off a cliff, the service has been captured by and is now dependent upon marketers.

I protested this once by refusing to remove mail from my mailbox. I was living in a house that received an extraordinary amount of mail in other people's names. After a month of ignoring the mail, an exasperated mailman was pleading with me to pick up my mail. I refused politely. For the next three years he would occasionally complain about not being able to do his job but I just ignored him and his mail. Why does doing your job involve creating work for me -- work that adds no value to my life. I did not consent to spending my valuable time as an involuntary disposer of trash. I ignored the mailbox for three years (I used an alternate address for IRS and other official correspondence, so absolutely nothing delivered to my house was useful). At my new house, I get about one item a week, so I don't have to do this.

They should rename it the United States Trash Delivery Service.
So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
I was in the direct mail business years ago. A task like this is nearly impossible. Your data is part of a number of data bases. You would constantly be chasing your tail.
No. I did this quite successfully. The key is to call every place that sends you junk mail and ask them to stop and not sell or rent your name to anyone. It takes a month or two to get everyone.

Then later when you buy something online, you may on rare occasions find that place sends junk and hands out your name, so you have to do it to a much smaller degree again. (And never buy from that place again, Swanson Vitamins and National Wildlife Federation, I'm talking to you.)

But it has been years now since I did this and the only place I get junk mail from is RedPlum and a local magazine. It's not RedPlum's fault - I am off their mailing list, but the letter carrier seems to just fill all the mailboxes anyway.
But you still get junk mail after spending a lot of time to not get junk mail so as I said, it is nearly impossible to make it stop. You are also still on lists that will be used for future mailings of junk. County resident, taxpayer, voter, driver's license, etc. Your name is out there, waiting to be sold...to a junk mailer. Ahhhhhh. Make it stop :D
How many times do I have to say this is not the case? I get two items of junk mail, a monthly local magazine and RedPlum. That's it. I can't even remember when I have gotten junk mail from anyone else.

This is because I went to the effort to stop it, instead of just complaining on the Internet and not lifting a finger to correct the situation.

Iliketoridemybike
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 am
mouses wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 am
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am
mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am


So contact the places sending you junk mail and ask that they take you off their mailing list and not sell or rent your contact information to others. How hard is that.
I was in the direct mail business years ago. A task like this is nearly impossible. Your data is part of a number of data bases. You would constantly be chasing your tail.
No. I did this quite successfully. The key is to call every place that sends you junk mail and ask them to stop and not sell or rent your name to anyone. It takes a month or two to get everyone.

Then later when you buy something online, you may on rare occasions find that place sends junk and hands out your name, so you have to do it to a much smaller degree again. (And never buy from that place again, Swanson Vitamins and National Wildlife Federation, I'm talking to you.)

But it has been years now since I did this and the only place I get junk mail from is RedPlum and a local magazine. It's not RedPlum's fault - I am off their mailing list, but the letter carrier seems to just fill all the mailboxes anyway.
But you still get junk mail after spending a lot of time to not get junk mail so as I said, it is nearly impossible to make it stop. You are also still on lists that will be used for future mailings of junk. County resident, taxpayer, voter, driver's license, etc. Your name is out there, waiting to be sold...to a junk mailer. Ahhhhhh. Make it stop :D
How many times do I have to say this is not the case? I get two items of junk mail, a monthly local magazine and RedPlum. That's it. I can't even remember when I have gotten junk mail from anyone else.

This is because I went to the effort to stop it, instead of just complaining on the Internet and not lifting a finger to correct the situation.
But using your own words, you still get junk mail. Its like death and taxes.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 am

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am
Ice-9 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 am
If I'd had informed delivery during such an experience, I'd know they were telling the truth even if my neighbor hadn't rescued the envelope.
Half a thought here. If you had saved or printed off that image and the mail got lost you would at least have something to show the post office. I say "half" a thought because I don't know if that would actually help in any way.
Good points - both that it would have been something to show them, and that it may not have actually helped resolve the matter with the post office.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 pm
I just signed up, thanks to this thread, but the "plus 4" digits of my zip code are different from what I've always had. I tried to change it or omit it, but the USPS site was having none of that. I can't wait to see if this thing works. Or to see if my "plus 4" digits have actually been altered.
As I feared, no notifications here--presumably due to the Plus 4 part of my zip code that the USPS site forced onto my address. Strangely, they do have an accurate record of packages previously delivered to my address. I tried to edit my Plus 4 again today, but the website was still having none of that.

Now I'm trying to decide if it is worth what will surely be an exasperating visit to my local post office to try to get this fixed. I'm not particularly worried about missing out on Informed Delivery, but I certainly don't want my Hold Mail requests to be ignored because of this silly Plus 4 discrepancy.

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by MP123 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm

This service is pretty handy but it does make me wonder about who else might be getting scanned images of the outside of my mail. Government agencies? advertisers? I guess they're getting it already though so I might as well too...

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

MP123 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm
This service is pretty handy but it does make me wonder about who else might be getting scanned images of the outside of my mail. Government agencies? advertisers? I guess they're getting it already though so I might as well too...
My guess is the just gave us access to something their mail sorting system has being for years.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

gd
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by gd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 am

Signed up for this 2-3 weeks ago when the thread started, it says I'm registered with correct email, and have never received anything. YMMV. Don't get your hopes up.

Seasonal
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Seasonal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 am

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm
MP123 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm
This service is pretty handy but it does make me wonder about who else might be getting scanned images of the outside of my mail. Government agencies? advertisers? I guess they're getting it already though so I might as well too...
My guess is the just gave us access to something their mail sorting system has being for years.
They've been scanning mail since the anthrax incidents in 2001.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 am

gd wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 am
Signed up for this 2-3 weeks ago when the thread started, it says I'm registered with correct email, and have never received anything. YMMV. Don't get your hopes up.
What happens when you go to https://informeddelivery.usps.com ?

That's where the scans of the mail are shown. (If nothing shows up for today, there is a pull-down on the right to select earlier days.) Not getting the email notice may be a different issue than actually being able to see the scans.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

denovo
Posts: 4310
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by denovo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 am

For those of you who have already signed up, do you see the copies of all the mail sent to your address , or just those addressed to you, the person who signed up?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 am

denovo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 am
For those of you who have already signed up, do you see the copies of all the mail sent to your address , or just those addressed to you, the person who signed up?
Everyone at the address.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6058
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 am

Something that disappoints me...

When looking at the upcoming mail, I am often disappointed that there is no delete button or check box next to each one. It would vaporize the mail wherever it happens to be in the delivery process. I can picture the mail truck driving down the street with firecrackers going off randomly in the back of the truck. I could click that button just as I got to my box. There'd be a pop and a puff of smoke! Life would be just a little bit more fun!

A spam button would be nice, too! It should somehow punish the sender. It could act as a vote and the punishment delivered when some threshold was reached.

I am overthinking this.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3432
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by lthenderson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 am

gd wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 am
Signed up for this 2-3 weeks ago when the thread started, it says I'm registered with correct email, and have never received anything. YMMV. Don't get your hopes up.
After I signed up, it took a little over a week before I received my first email. I don't get one every day since they don't scan magazines and postcard ads type stuff which is the bulk of what our mail consists of these days.

bluebolt
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by bluebolt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am

For senders that don't use security envelopes, you can sometimes see a portion of the text inside the envelope.

Ouch.

meebers
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by meebers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 am

ikowik wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm
azurekep wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm
Does the service require a photo ID to verify identity and address before signing up?
When I signed up online for the "my usps" account which seems to be required, I was presented with four nexus (?) type questions similar to those to identify yourself to receive your credit reports online.
Same experience, and the verification did not succeed. Most likely because my credit reports are frozen, has happened before. There is an option to go in person to a USPS office and verify your identity. Not sure if I want to go through with this to see scans of junk mail in my inbox daily.
On line verification was a no go for me. Went to the local PO, had to speak with the "manager", he remembered having done the verification and proceeded. Called a training meeting with several counter personal and also showed them how it was done. They had to scan my DL for additional verification. It has been working great for me. There is "junk" mail that is not scanned that is in my mailbox, mostly "current resident" or "valued customer" or some other marketing gimmick. IMO, marketing runs parallel with virus producers. :confused

JBTX
Posts: 3935
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 am

I signed up couple of weeks ago when i saw this thread but I have yet to receive a single email.

Atgard
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Atgard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am

They don't care about you marking things as "spam." Junk mail is a big part of the USPS's business model, they wouldn't be solvent without it. (The other option would be if stamps / postage cost far more than it does now, and I guess people as a whole would rather have the junk mail and cheaper stamps.)

As others have noted, (1) it usually takes about a week before you start seeing anything and (2) you won't get an email or see anything if there are no letter-sized mail pieces arriving that day. It does not show magazines, unfolded 8.5x11 mail, postcards (sometimes it does), bulky pieces, etc.

If it's been more than a week and you received a normal letter in the mail and it doesn't show up on the USPS dashboard, then I would contact USPS about it.

Post Reply