Is $9000 too much for a sectional sofa ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: Is $9000 too much for a sectional sofa ?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm

blueberry wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm
You've kind of been put through the wringer by us cheap skates, but the important thing is, sounds like you're happy with the end results of your project and that is the real bottom line!

-bb

+1

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm
Ok I actually saw it today. It was at market center in downtown Dallas. It is place exclusively for retailers and designers. It was weird going into this large multifloor building with all this furniture decor and other consumer items with hardly anybody there. I was only allowed in as guest of the designer.

Looking at the sectional you can kind of tell it is well made. The lines are pretty sharp and it's not at all the "puffy bubba" types seen in the SNL skit. You can customize a bunch of different options. Cushions are "down-spring" meaning they are spring in the middle with a layer of down. Very comfortable but not excessively cushy.

It passes the smell test. Still more than I personally want to pay but given all the other factors it suits my needs and willing to eat a few thousand " for the team". Pay the $450 for the 5 year treatment/warranty at least gives some protection against the inevitable spill.

Thanks for all the perspectives. It really has been helpful. Now to find something else to obsess over.
Wonderful.
Glad (for the two of you) that you weren't terribly disappointed, after a bit of hype. (Could happen. Does happen...)

There is nothing at all wrong with having something "nice" that both of you enjoy.

Enjoy the sofa, and also all of the renovations and other new furnishings, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:23 pm

blueberry wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm
You've kind of been put through the wringer by us cheap skates, but the important thing is, sounds like you're happy with the end results of your project and that is the real bottom line!

-bb
Over the last 15 years I've posted in different sports and political forums. It can get really nasty in such venues. This place is tame and quite civil. I've learned to be realistic about what you are going to get when you start a topic given the audience. You don't come to a forum full of tight wad obsessive penny penchers (like me ) and expect to gets lots of love for your near five figure designer couch. :wink:

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Obviously OP isn't worried about the price. To each their own.
Main question I would have is "Is it comfortable to sit on?" I've come across a lot of seating pieces that looked great, often very well built, but just didn't fit our "shapes". A designer hasn't a good way to judge this for you.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:29 pm

JBTX wrote:The lines are pretty sharp and it's not at all the "puffy bubba" types seen in the SNL skit.
Did you ask your kids? They would probably prefer the "puffy bubba" type seen in the SNL skit 8-)

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 pm

obgraham wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm
Obviously OP isn't worried about the price. To each their own.
If I weren't concerned about price I wouldn't have started topic.
Main question I would have is "Is it comfortable to sit on?" I've come across a lot of seating pieces that looked great, often very well built, but just didn't fit our "shapes". A designer hasn't a good way to judge this for you.
Sat on it today. Very comfortable.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:42 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:55 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm
blueberry wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am
Maybe it's just me but I see similarities between hiring a decorator and hiring an edward jones financial adviser.
+1. I personally place the value of having someone else decide how the interior of my house shall look at exactly $0, but OP has the financial means for it not to really matter. I could think of a million ways I would rather spend $9k, but it isn't effecting them financially in any way.
I'm going to disagree with this one 100%. We have had our house 20 years and not done a lot to it. Spots and cracks all over the wall. 12 year old light colored laminate falling part that never really matched the pinkish kitchen scheme that was built in. Kitchen counters past their age. Cheap Furniture trashed. The interior had run down and the changes we made on our own never really quite fit together. I don't have enough smarts to know what to pick, but i do know what I like and don't after it's done. My wife is hit and miss with her choices. She will take chances and sometimes it works great and other times not. I was the one who really wanted a designer or somebody to steer us in the right direction. If we were going to stay here, it would have needed at minimum 50k remodel (I'm not a DIY guy) and 10k with cheap furniture and throw rugs. Instead we upgraded and spent about 70k on remodel and 27k on furnishings.

We are really happy with the result of renovation. There was only one hiccup where the I vetoed the backsplash / fireplace decorative tile that looked like crap when put in. Also we are now thinking we are content to be here another 10-20 years if need be. That's a huge change from literally being embarrassed to let people in the house.

From the limited data I have I think we could recover most of the remodel costs if we sold tomorrow. Our house was appraised at 270k probably should have been 250-260 with all the needed work. The same floor plan and sq ft house with same property size down the street but a lot of internal upgrades just sold for $320k
Different strokes for different folks. Even if I was a billionaire, I don't think I'd ever pay for this service. We all value different things.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:47 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:42 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:55 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm
blueberry wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I see similarities between hiring a decorator and hiring an edward jones financial adviser.
+1. I personally place the value of having someone else decide how the interior of my house shall look at exactly $0, but OP has the financial means for it not to really matter. I could think of a million ways I would rather spend $9k, but it isn't effecting them financially in any way.
I'm going to disagree with this one 100%. We have had our house 20 years and not done a lot to it. Spots and cracks all over the wall. 12 year old light colored laminate falling part that never really matched the pinkish kitchen scheme that was built in. Kitchen counters past their age. Cheap Furniture trashed. The interior had run down and the changes we made on our own never really quite fit together. I don't have enough smarts to know what to pick, but i do know what I like and don't after it's done. My wife is hit and miss with her choices. She will take chances and sometimes it works great and other times not. I was the one who really wanted a designer or somebody to steer us in the right direction. If we were going to stay here, it would have needed at minimum 50k remodel (I'm not a DIY guy) and 10k with cheap furniture and throw rugs. Instead we upgraded and spent about 70k on remodel and 27k on furnishings.

We are really happy with the result of renovation. There was only one hiccup where the I vetoed the backsplash / fireplace decorative tile that looked like crap when put in. Also we are now thinking we are content to be here another 10-20 years if need be. That's a huge change from literally being embarrassed to let people in the house.

From the limited data I have I think we could recover most of the remodel costs if we sold tomorrow. Our house was appraised at 270k probably should have been 250-260 with all the needed work. The same floor plan and sq ft house with same property size down the street but a lot of internal upgrades just sold for $320k
Different strokes for different folks. Even if I was a billionaire, I don't think I'd ever pay for this service. We all value different things.
Wha chu talkin bout Willis??!

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:48 pm

OP does not NEED to be happy with the purchase. As long as he is not resenting the purchase (important) AND his wife is ecstatic with the sofa (even more important), all is well and good. After having many year anniversaries, you better get that principle right :-)

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:54 pm

No, it is not too much if you love it.
"La Bella Luna"

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm

wow .

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 pm

We bought a "sectional" - 2 pieces - well over a decade ago. It was custom-ordered and I chose very heavy-duty fabric. Today, it still looks great! Through all the years where our kids were small, now college age, that sectional has held up great. It is downstairs in our family room, and the kids now do video games, have friends over, etc. It cleans up well, and we've never had an issue. it was over $3k when purchased.

Our leather furniture (bomber style) upstairs looks icky after a decade. It was a nice set--four pieces. Really liked it when we bought it, but over the years, with kids, it just doesn't look nice at all. Spills, stains, sunlight, etc., and I would not get leather again. Too difficult to clean. Purchased new for around $4k.

Would I spend $9k for a sectional today? No.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 pm

looking wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 am
go to Costco with that kind of money you can buy lots more and better quality.
I love Costco furniture and find it a no brainer. I wish my spouse bought in.

By the money we spent and will be spending , $ 9000 is a steal ( if it makes the two of you happy).
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm

I wouldn't spring for Century with little kids. There are other well made brands that will be substantially less expensive. We bought a Temple sofa and loveseat through a local furniture store a few years that I've been very happy with. I was thinking about a sectional. They are custom made in the US and I could have got the sectional for considerably less than $9K. Kids trash the upholstery, if it's a room you use very much, even if you don't allow food.

Reupholstering furniture is very expensive. It will be several thousand to reupholster a sectional.

rexhat

Post by rexhat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Dealing w/the same issue. 9k vs. 11.5k sectional. we went for the 9k thinking we were being wise. We got crypton fabric. http://crypton.com/

to protect against spills.

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 am

OP, now that you've gotten us all emotionally invested in your custom sectional, pls show us a picture!

Sounds like it fits in with your remodel beautifully, and within the overall budget you already planned to spend on the project (I can imagine the Bogleheads' horror if you were planning to go over budget by thousands of dollars to buy it), so I'm glad you found it comfortable.

Re stain resistant treatment for sofa, that stuff really works. We did it years ago, and even I can't tell where on the sofa the cats threw up, wine was spilled, etc. (It unfortunately doesn't stop cats from clawing the armrests, but you didn't mention any sharp-clawed kitties).

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am

The real question is - "What $5K watch do you wear when lounging on the sectional?"

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 am

I think my cats would love a $9K scratching post, so it's absolutely worth it.

freckles01

Post by freckles01 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:41 pm

i'm siding with the minority here and say yes- spend 9k for the sectional it fits your needs, decor, is quality made and you can afford it, its worth it!

a quality made sofa/sectional is made to last- hardwood frame, tongue and groove joints, high quality foam covered in goose down, upholstery options etc.

a sectional sofa will probably be used everyday for lounging, marathon netflix shows or sports games, reading and some serious napping. that adds up to a bunch of hours of daily use.

even bogleheads buy expensive luxury cars (costing many K's) yet will balk at spending 9K for a sofa/sectional that will log more hours of use and may be kept longer than their luxury car.

i went from a mediocre mail order sectional ( $1200, 13 years ago) to a uber high end chaise lounge piece of a sectional (bought second hand, retails for 10K/piece!) that is built to last a lifetime. its super comfy, elegant, major solid construction, amazing napping and lounging and yet a "grown up" piece, no regrets (buying it second hand)!

that said, i honestly would not of considered spending 10K retail for my lil'chaise lounge but definitely believe its worth it to spend money for quality- its a better long term investment. originally budgeted 4K for a new small piece but ended up paying less.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Chan_va wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am
The real question is - "What $5K watch do you wear when lounging on the sectional?"
I don't wear a watch. With that $5K saved, now I only need to come up with $4K :beer

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

blueberry wrote:
For that matter, I see similarities between hiring a painter and hiring an Edward Jones financial advisor.

I'd say it's more about what you're comfortable doing yourself. Bogleheads-style investing is pretty straightforward.

Although I'm a very frugal person, I'm seriously considering a decorator to help out with paint colors and curtains for some future remodeling. My fashion sense is so bad I'm not even comfortable dressing myself, and shopping for dress clothes is a minor psychological crisis. My decorating sense is barely any better. I wouldn't dream of hiring a painter, though, since I can do that myself just fine.

Two similar anecdotes:

A friend hired a designer for his condo. Because it was a small place, and he just needed recommendations on paint colors and style suggestions for a few prominent pieces of furniture, it only cost him a couple hundred dollars. He painted it and bought the furniture himself. He probably spent about the same on the paint itself as on the decorator. I thought his condo looked really, really nice.

Another couple of friends with much better taste than ourselves and who enjoy decorating but with no do-it-yourself confidence at all picked their own color scheme. Then they hired a painter, which of course, was thousands of dollars, but their condo also looked really, really nice.

I think they both spent their money well.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:13 am

My initial thought would be that if you are never going to have enough people needing to sit in that room to need a 4 piece sectional sofa, then it is a waste of money for $9,000.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:46 am

JBTX wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

Ultimately we can afford it, and I don't mind paying a premium for quality (vs the rooms to go crap that we had and tears up in a couple of years )but my concerns are:

1. Is this a reasonable price to pay for a well made custom multi piece sectional
2. Is it prudent to spend $9k on something that our teenage kids could wreck in a second, spill chocolate milk, red koolaid, etc.
We spent around the same amount for a couple sofas and such. The prices can get crazy high when you go high end. We got Stressless (http://www.ekornes.com/us) brand. First impression was that they're slightly funny looking. But they had exactly what we wanted. High quality leather with high quality wood. Got to say that the quality is excellent and those pieces are a pleasure to sit on for hours and easy to clean (since the pieces are kept on with a series of velcro).

So shop around a bit and certainly try it out in person before you buy. You wouldn't buy a car without sitting in it, would you?

You'll get more by paying more, but you don't necessarily have to go with the first brand you try.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm
blueberry wrote:
For that matter, I see similarities between hiring a painter and hiring an Edward Jones financial advisor.

I'd say it's more about what you're comfortable doing yourself. Bogleheads-style investing is pretty straightforward.

Although I'm a very frugal person, I'm seriously considering a decorator to help out with paint colors and curtains for some future remodeling. My fashion sense is so bad I'm not even comfortable dressing myself, and shopping for dress clothes is a minor psychological crisis. My decorating sense is barely any better. I wouldn't dream of hiring a painter, though, since I can do that myself just fine.

Two similar anecdotes:

A friend hired a designer for his condo. Because it was a small place, and he just needed recommendations on paint colors and style suggestions for a few prominent pieces of furniture, it only cost him a couple hundred dollars. He painted it and bought the furniture himself. He probably spent about the same on the paint itself as on the decorator. I thought his condo looked really, really nice.

Another couple of friends with much better taste than ourselves and who enjoy decorating but with no do-it-yourself confidence at all picked their own color scheme. Then they hired a painter, which of course, was thousands of dollars, but their condo also looked really, really nice.

I think they both spent their money well.
In our case literally everything was repainted. Walls, ceilings , new baseboards. A fair amount of drywall repair and one room had to be resurfaced. It took much of 10 days for him and another guy to complete. That's not something I'd want to do myself. In the past my wife has actually painted many of the walls in the house. She's better then I in that respect. But what she did and what these painters did isn't even in the same ballpark.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 pm

cheapskate wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:20 pm
Just as a datapoint, we got a nice custom sectional (microfiber) 4 years ago (from a local furniture store, the sofa was put together in San Jose, CA), and I think we paid something like $3K. It has held up very well over the past 4 years, under constant use.

Something around $3000 is my upper bound for a piece of furniture (especially since we have cats and dogs). I would not want to stress out about an expensive piece of furniture.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your sectional microfiber? I'm looking for a local store in San Jose/Campbell.

bhough

Post by bhough » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Too much, sorry.
b

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

La-Z-Boys are nice and comfy.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 am
I think my cats would love a $9K scratching post, so it's absolutely worth it.
If you can afford cats, you can definitely afford a 9k sectional. :)

Questions like this are pretty useless as they will all come down to person situations and preferences. Spending 9k when living in a 50k house? Probably not. Spend 9k when you are making 1.2 million a year? Sure why not. In between it gets fun. And there will always be a race to the bottom (college kids through away used ikea furniture at the end of the year so why buy any. And someone will counter why not charge 50 dollars to haul away furntiture and keep what you like.:)).

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 pm

There is a difference between high quality and high style designer piece - they may both be extremely well made or the designer piece may look great and be very expensive but may actually be pretty shoddy internally. Buying a high quality sofa/couch is not going to be inexpensive but it is usually well worth the cost in the long run. It is actually becoming difficult to find high quality furniture. Most mainstream furniture stores are filled with junk these days.

We purchased a high quality leather sectional at a top end retailer 12 years ago. Cost was almost twice what same style and size leather sectional would have cost at lower end stores. The couch sits in our den and has been used every day for last 12 years and still looks and feels new. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Minty

Post by Minty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I've just done a Google search, and if I did it correctly, I can affirm that there is a relevant pearl of wisdom that appears rarely on this forum, notwithstanding its merit: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." (Attributed to J.P. Morgan.)
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 am

Minty wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:07 pm
I've just done a Google search, and if I did it correctly, I can affirm that there is a relevant pearl of wisdom that appears rarely on this forum, notwithstanding its merit: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." (Attributed to J.P. Morgan.)
This ship has sailed. For better or for worse it's on order. I'm sure we will like it. I'm also sure I'll probably always think it was too much.

A person can afford something and it still be too much by a value proposition.

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. :mrgreen: