Car Rental on Current Car Insurance Policy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
schutzk21

Car Rental on Current Car Insurance Policy?

Post by schutzk21 »

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are trying to cut costs wherever possible. I just have a simple question: Do you pay for rental coverage on your car insurance policy? Why or why not? Thanks for your responses!

-schutzk21
runner3081

Re: Car Rental on Current Car Insurance Policy?

Post by runner3081 »

No, credit card covers it.
Topic Author
schutzk21

Post by schutzk21 »

What I am trying to say is....do you pay monthly on your car insurance for rental car coverage if you get in an accident?
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

schutzk21 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 pm What I am trying to say is....do you pay monthly on your car insurance for rental car coverage if you get in an accident?
I do not. I insure for things that i canmot or do not want to pay.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I don't. But I've had a few accidents and had to pay rental out of pocket.

I guess it depends on the cost. While typically you don't insure for small dollar things you can afford, there is a convenience factor of having rental paid for vs having to eat the cost. Plus last couple of times I was in accident I took the auto body shop about 2 weeks to get it done.

These things don't always play out like you expect. I was in 3 accidents in 18 months, none of them my fault. In all cases I was sitting still and got hit. But in two of those cases I had to eat my $1000 deductible. In one case it was uninsured driver, and I had cleverly dropped uninsured property damage, and the other case a multi car interstate pileup where it was impossible to determine which of the five behind me was ultimately responsible for the accident. In both those cases I also had to spring for rentals for a couple of weeks.
IMO

Post by IMO »

I think if I got the OP question interpreted properly:

No we don't pay for rental car reimbursement/coverage on our standard automobile insurance policy that would provide us a rental car should our car be in an accident. We have more than 1 car and we could manage with the 2nd car if needed.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I pay for the coverage. It only costs $20-30/year, and I've used it twice. My family has two cars, but we also have kids. Not having one of our cars more than a couple of days would not work for us as we all travel in different directions each morning.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Same as above but not only different directions but very different schedules.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Rupert wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 am I pay for the coverage. It only costs $20-30/year, and I've used it twice. My family has two cars, but we also have kids. Not having one of our cars more than a couple of days would not work for us as we all travel in different directions each morning.
Depends on the carrier - I recently switched to USAA. They charge by what kind of car you want to rent. A "standard vehicle" (full size sedan) is $39/car for 6 months (ie. $78 if you want coverage for 2 vehicles). That's not cheap. Other companies price it by the daily rate ($30/day for 30 days max, etc).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

IMO wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 pm I think if I got the OP question interpreted properly:

No we don't pay for rental car reimbursement/coverage on our standard automobile insurance policy that would provide us a rental car should our car be in an accident. We have more than 1 car and we could manage with the 2nd car if needed.
I THINK I pay for it and I THINK it doesn't cost enough to go without.

(When I scan the list of coverages I focus on the big stuff).
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I do the opposite - we don't own a car in the US but I have a policy which covers me for the several weeks per year we rent a car. Cheap.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Our standard comprehensive policy includes rental cars and there is no option to opt out of it unless I drop comprehensive on all my vehicles so I guess technically I pay for it.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I do not. It would only be useful if all of of these conditions are met:

1) There is an accident/loss (obviously)
2) I am at fault, or there is not an insured other than me to claim against
3) The vehicle is out of commission for longer than I can stand to be car-less

If all 3 conditions are not met, I don't need the coverage. Any time #2 is not met, I will have a rental car should I need/want one, because liability coverage always includes a rental car, whether or not comprehensive/collision does. This strikes me as very low risk, and I'm therefore willing to self-insure.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

My insurance premium for car rental would be high enough that I "self-insure." Last time I had a car in the shop, they gave me a loaner.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

No, we do not pay for getting a rental car if our car is damaged.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I have it now as we would need a rental. This is probably an emotional decision more than anything. At one point, I had dropped it as we could have gotten by on one car. I did this even though the cost was $22 a year at the time. Wouldn't you know that our life situation changed and we required two cars. Then we had an accident in a SUV with only 20,000 miles. Insurance companies felt they could not prove who was at fault so we had to rely on our own coverage. Result was 6 weeks of rental car expenses. And since it was not going through insurance, The rental car company would not give me the negotiated rate. Bottom line is that the rental charges associated with that single accident probably exceeded a lifetime of insurance charges for coverage.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I recall cost of that coverage is peanuts compared to the total policy cost.