How useful is a home security system?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flyingaway

Re: How useful is a home security system?

Post by flyingaway » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am

I have ordered one security camera which will arrive on Friday. Plan to order more after I do the testing to see if I like it.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

We have Zombie Bars up, AKA Burglar Bars....on all windows
Have Hardened doors.
Anyone getting in will take some time and make a helluva racket doing it.....loud enough to wake your slumbering son....
We live in Texas - Thank God... We don't dial 911

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 pm

To me, the #1 reason to get a security system is to be notified of a break-in when you are asleep at night. As much as I would hate it, I am not too concerned with getting stuff stolen. However, in the unlikely event of a home invasion, even if you rely on defending yourself with various means, you might not wake up until the intruder(s) is by your bed. This is especially true for deep sleepers and/or older folks with sub-optimal hearing.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 pm

When we purchased our home a few years back, it already had a full security system installed. Initially we didn't use it, but with my traveling for work and my wife eventually at home with a newborn, we got everything hooked up and started using it at night and on extended trips/vacations.

It's linked to our landline phone (which I needed for my home office), so it will dial the security company if triggered. We've mistakenly opened windows without disarming it, so I can attest that they really will call you and will send the police if there isn't an answer or they don't get the code they need. It also include the fire and carbon monoxide detectors, so if those were triggered, the fire department would be called.

The service costs us about $20 a month, but it's worth the piece of mind it provides everyone.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

An HD camera with motion detection alarm arrived yesterday and was set up immediately. We like it very much. I plan to test it for a week. If it works as desired, we plan to buy more. We want to put each one in living room, basement, front door, and back door.
We probably will not want professional monitoring for $20 to $50 a month. As I understood, the system will send me and the monitoring company an alarm when something happens, the monitoring company will call me to verify if the alarm is real or false, then they will call police if the alarm is real. I think I can do that without verifying it with myself.
Any comments and suggestions?

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am

weltschmerz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:42 pm
I think a home security system is completely useless for warding off burglars, but very useful in giving people peace of mind. A few years ago, a friend's house was burglarized, and they did not have any alarm system. So after they were victimized, they put a system in. Nothing had changed. They still lived in the same world, and their odds of being a victim were the same as before, but that is a difficult fact for people to handle mentally. So they feel they have to do something to protect themselves, and the home security companies profit from this.
I disagree. My home has been burglarized several times. The last time it happened they had plenty of time. They went through every thing in my house including the attic. I think the even left and then came back and got more stuff. After that I put in a security system. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't had a break in since. Even if they do break in, they know they don't have much time because the security company calls me, the police and three other people when the alarm goes off. I pay about $28 a month and it is well worth it to me. Thieves take the path of least resistance. An alarm system, bars on windows and doors, vehicle parked in garage, dogs, all of these will help deter burglars.
Slow and steady wins the race.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

Abe wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am
weltschmerz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:42 pm
I think a home security system is completely useless for warding off burglars, but very useful in giving people peace of mind. A few years ago, a friend's house was burglarized, and they did not have any alarm system. So after they were victimized, they put a system in. Nothing had changed. They still lived in the same world, and their odds of being a victim were the same as before, but that is a difficult fact for people to handle mentally. So they feel they have to do something to protect themselves, and the home security companies profit from this.
I disagree. My home has been burglarized several times. The last time it happened they had plenty of time. They went through every thing in my house including the attic. I think the even left and then came back and got more stuff. After that I put in a security system. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't had a break in since. Even if they do break in, they know they don't have much time because the security company calls me, the police and three other people when the alarm goes off. I pay about $28 a month and it is well worth it to me. Thieves take the path of least resistance. An alarm system, bars on windows and doors, vehicle parked in garage, dogs, all of these will help deter burglars.
28/mo is reasonable. I am getting quotes of 50 which include cellular and phone app. Plus 3 year contract. Plus the price to upgrade my wired system to make it a hybrid. Not liking the prices so may consider abode with monitoring that can be turned on/off.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 am

JuniorBH wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 pm

It's linked to our landline phone (which I needed for my home office), so it will dial the security company if triggered. We've mistakenly opened windows without disarming it, so I can attest that they really will call you and will send the police if there isn't an answer or they don't get the code they need. It also include the fire and carbon monoxide detectors, so if those were triggered, the fire department would be called.
What precautions have you taken to prevent a potential burglar from severing your land-line connection?

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Abe wrote:
My home has been burglarized several times. The last time it happened they had plenty of time. They went through every thing in my house including the attic. I think the even left and then came back and got more stuff. After that I put in a security system. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't had a break in since. Even if they do break in, they know they don't have much time because the security company calls me, the police and three other people when the alarm goes off. I pay about $28 a month and it is well worth it to me. Thieves take the path of least resistance. An alarm system, bars on windows and doors, vehicle parked in garage, dogs, all of these will help deter burglars.
I would argue that the security system has done little to protect you, beyond giving you peace of mind. Do the thieves know you have installed the system? Is there a sign in the front yard, or a blinking security camera? You haven't had any break-in alerts since you put the system in, so maybe you have just been lucky in the past 10 years. $28/month is pretty cheap though, so if it makes you feel good, then no reason to stop paying it.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

OP

I will directly address the question you posted.

After a string of break-ins in our area 4 years back we considered getting a security system. During that time our HOA invited sherif's office to come and speak to people. It was a very illuminating. Additionally our county offers a specialized sherif's deputy to come out to your home and do an assessment and provide the guidance for no fee. We had once scheduled and here is what he said. If your local police department offer that service, I highly recommend it.

1. We live in a large county with shortage of deputies to address every single 911 call in a timely manner. He said on average it took 7 minutes to respond to a 911 call. That is an average. We live about 4 minutes (lights and sirens) from the station. Security system will be of no use in our area.
2. He indicated that on average a burglar spends less than 3-4 minutes in the house. They know where to go in the house and don't waste time and get out.
3. Unless its an amateur burglar, they know what is the response time of the police under a security system.
4. He found recording cameras to be less effective due to grainy picture quality due to lighting situation.
5. He was absolutely against keeping a gun in the house since we have kids in the house and we are not gun people. I have never held or fired one - this may be different for gun owners who own it for sport and regularly handle it. But still - if you are not home it doesn't help to have a gun.
6. Over 75% of break-ins were through back door. Burglars don't like to break-in through windows. Much harder for them.
7. He suggested a specific film (we haven't installed it) that you can be applied on the glass door and it takes a long time to break. And he said no burglar will take a chance taking the time to break such as door as it will take time and potentially a lot of noise.
8. Get a very good quality door lock that can't be forced in easily.
9. Lock the garage doors from inside if you are traveling.
10. Make sure house always looks like it is being lived-in irrespective of you being home or not. Automatic outdoor lights, no newspapers on the drive way, no overflowing mail or packages left out for days.
11. Security systems generate false signals (or mistaken trips) requiring cops to be dispatched creating even more challenges of response time in our area. We know this first hand as our neighbor's was going off 1-2 times a week. They got fined after a few alarms, and then they had to change their approach.
12. Install auto timer lights for outdoor lights. I have those, and they turn the lights on and off so I never have to remember.
13. Install motion sensor lights.

Lastly I will say that I am changing my opinion regarding the cameras. Some of the smart home cameras now have phone apps, and sensor trips that alert you immediately. You could call the 911 yourself - which is more reliable. I am looking for one that can record the video to the home cloud server.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm

hookemhorns wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm
Your son slept through them smashing a glass door, breaking open a safe, and searching every room in the house (conveniently, except his)? Hate to say it, but I know who my prime suspect would be. Tough situation to be in as a parent.
Not necessarily defending the Son but just read the preliminary report on the US Destroyer which collided with a merchant ship in Japanese waters. One of the sailors in the flooding berthing area was still asleep as he was dragged out of his rack into the flooding water in the compartment. Point being, some people sleep pretty soundly.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:37 pm

weltschmerz wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 pm
Abe wrote:
My home has been burglarized several times. The last time it happened they had plenty of time. They went through every thing in my house including the attic. I think the even left and then came back and got more stuff. After that I put in a security system. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't had a break in since. Even if they do break in, they know they don't have much time because the security company calls me, the police and three other people when the alarm goes off. I pay about $28 a month and it is well worth it to me. Thieves take the path of least resistance. An alarm system, bars on windows and doors, vehicle parked in garage, dogs, all of these will help deter burglars.
I would argue that the security system has done little to protect you, beyond giving you peace of mind. Do the thieves know you have installed the system? Is there a sign in the front yard, or a blinking security camera? You haven't had any break-in alerts since you put the system in, so maybe you have just been lucky in the past 10 years. $28/month is pretty cheap though, so if it makes you feel good, then no reason to stop paying it.
I don't know where you live, but where I live you better have a security system. I didn't think I needed one either, but after several burglaries at my home, I broke down and got one. Now, after 10 years I haven't had one break in. You can call that luck if you want too, but I don't think it's luck. Of course, they can still break in even with the security system, but it's not as likely, and even if they do, they won't have much time to do their dirty work because someone will be showing up shortly after the alarm goes off. There have been studies done, and burglars who have been caught freely admit that they don't stay around if an alarm goes off. It does give me some peace of mind, but I think it's also a deterrent.
Slow and steady wins the race.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 pm

My alarm system will go off if it detects broken glass and will call the security company. If I don't answer the phone, police will be dispatched. I'd say there's not much if anything a burglar could do to avoid it other than maybe laser cutting the glass silently, although I think it would still go off because just a clink is often enough. It isn't reliant on a phone line and has a battery backup, so just cutting power or phone service won't do anything. Plus I'd have them on camera, which sets off a realtime Alert on my phone.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:57 pm

fillary wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 am
i have two cams, one on the front door/yard area, one on the back deck/storage shed area

i use a server running VLC in linux to capture and broadcast the streams via REGAL to DLNA........or i can just VNC into the server box itself and see both cameras live from anywhere on the net...
That does a whole lot of good when someone steals your computer :P
IT-DevOps System Administrator

aqan

Post by aqan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 pm

hookemhorns wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm
Your son slept through them smashing a glass door, breaking open a safe, and searching every room in the house (conveniently, except his)? Hate to say it, but I know who my prime suspect would be. Tough situation to be in as a parent.
+1
You have to have a reason to rule him out OP. it may not be drugs, kids can do stupid stuff to help friends, impress girls, and what not. I don't want to speculate but you should get a confirmation that it's not him.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm

I had a wired system, kept tripping the motion detector. I think the sign out front, a well known company helped. Don't buy a fake sign, even I can spot them.

I realized that with a pair of pruning shears I could cut the phone line outside at the box and the alarm would be of no use!

Also, if you have one of those little plastic phone boxes outside and it is unlocked, lock it. It contains a phone jack anyone can tap into.

Cars outside the garage door are not a deterrent in all cases. I lived in a very nice neighborhood in Arizona, with two cars parked in front of the door, they broke into one of them, hit the garage button, opened the garage (which also had 2 cars in it). The noise awoke me, and I (foolishly) whipped open the door to the garage, and heard footsteps running. So they can be pretty bold.

Had a small safe, kept papers, a few foreign bills from travel, and a couple of hundred dollars in it. Always was forgetting the combo. I don't have it anymore, concerned that if an invader saw the safe and I couldn't open it, it could be a problem.

Police gave me a tip: Don't have your home address on anything in your car (registration, etc). It is common for thieves to break into cars at corporate parking lots, get your address and door opener, then spend the day emptying out your house while you are still at work. Had this happen to a friend, she arrived home to an empty house!I have a private mail box address. Most states will let you list this on registration and DL as long as they know your residence address.

I have one rule: nothing in my wallet,or on my chequebook, or car which tells where I sleep at night :happy

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm

It all depends on what kind of security system you have as to whether it's "useful". I have cameras outside, door/motion/glassbreak sensors, motion lights, and a 100+ lb German Shepherd that stays indoors. We have multiple layers of security. Once a potential burglar observes my property, do you think they'll pick my house, or the next door neighbor's? I'm betting the latter.

It sounds like the OP's mistake was not having glassbreak sensors and not arming the alarm system while someone's home and in a vulnerable position (shower, nap, etc). I arm the alarm when I get in the shower because I can't hear what's going on. My wife arms the alarm anytime I leave the house. As for shooting a burglar, I absolutely would.

I have alarm stickers on my doors and windows for a different alarm company than what I use. I don't want to advertise what system I have. Make sure your alarm sends a cellular signal because I've seen wires cut on houses. I remember a burglary where a drug-addict son left the garage open on purpose, so friends could come steal items. I won't talk about the best burglar I've ever seen working in law enforcement, because his method could defeat just about any alarm system. It truly baffled us, until we conducted a walk-through of the entire house.

Large dogs are the best security investments. My dog woke me up at 3am one morning and something was obviously wrong. I got up and peeked out the window he led me to, and a guy was changing his tire in front of my house. The guy was harmless, but my dog proved his worth.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am

Unread post by flyingaway » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 am

vbdoug wrote: ↑Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 pm
Home security systems are kind of cool and actually very inexpensive. I use an old iPhone 5 and an app called "Presence". Totally free. It has a motion detector and sends me a video if there is any movement. I live in a very secure environment but it's kind of fun to look at your place on your iPhone.

What kind of security camera you have?

I use two iPhone 5s as video cameras and an old iPad and iPhone 6 as monitors; but they are all interchangeable. I assume you could combine Android and iOS devices but have not tried to. Again, it's all kind of cool.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 am

vbdoug wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am
Unread post by flyingaway » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 am

vbdoug wrote: ↑Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 pm
Home security systems are kind of cool and actually very inexpensive. I use an old iPhone 5 and an app called "Presence". Totally free. It has a motion detector and sends me a video if there is any movement. I live in a very secure environment but it's kind of fun to look at your place on your iPhone.

What kind of security camera you have?

I use two iPhone 5s as video cameras and an old iPad and iPhone 6 as monitors; but they are all interchangeable. I assume you could combine Android and iOS devices but have not tried to. Again, it's all kind of cool.
I have an EZVIZ Mini Plus HD camera and can see my living room on my cell phone. It has motion detection and will send alarm messages if detected. The problem is I receive lots of false alarms, so I am still testing its sensitivity.

It seems to be a lot of work to enable and disable the alarm and put it into sleep. I know it will not help very much, just makes us feel more comfortable. Probably more important is not to put more than $100 cash in my house.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

Geneyus wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm
It all depends on what kind of security system you have as to whether it's "useful". I have cameras outside, door/motion/glassbreak sensors, motion lights, and a 100+ lb German Shepherd that stays indoors. We have multiple layers of security. Once a potential burglar observes my property, do you think they'll pick my house, or the next door neighbor's? I'm betting the latter.

It sounds like the OP's mistake was not having glassbreak sensors and not arming the alarm system while someone's home and in a vulnerable position (shower, nap, etc). I arm the alarm when I get in the shower because I can't hear what's going on. My wife arms the alarm anytime I leave the house. As for shooting a burglar, I absolutely would.

I have alarm stickers on my doors and windows for a different alarm company than what I use. I don't want to advertise what system I have. Make sure your alarm sends a cellular signal because I've seen wires cut on houses. I remember a burglary where a drug-addict son left the garage open on purpose, so friends could come steal items. I won't talk about the best burglar I've ever seen working in law enforcement, because his method could defeat just about any alarm system. It truly baffled us, until we conducted a walk-through of the entire house.

Large dogs are the best security investments. My dog woke me up at 3am one morning and something was obviously wrong. I got up and peeked out the window he led me to, and a guy was changing his tire in front of my house. The guy was harmless, but my dog proved his worth.
I agree that a dog is probably the best security system for a house. But we are not pet fans. We had a cat for several years and do not plan to have any pet any time soon.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am

I have a Ring doorbell and motion sensor floodlight cams outside of my house, and Blink cameras inside my home. I also have Simplisafe. I do not pay any monthly monitoring fees. It requires a little bit of money upfront, but it sure does provide peace of mind (especially for my wife when I'm on travel).

I personally think a setup like mine would've possibly ID'd or deterred whoever broke into your house. Even with Simplisafe not armed, the Ring motion sensor outdoor floodlights are on 24/7 and will send you a notification as soon as someone is approaching your home. You can then activate the outdoor Ring alarm from your phone or you can ask them what they're doing (it has an outdoor speaker as well). I have my Blink indoor cameras set to a daily schedule (essentially when we're in bed).

I admit that I think you're break-in sounds very suspicious, but I'm not necessarily blaming your son. It just sounds like it was done by someone who knows someone in your family well or knows your setup.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am

I'm paranoid

We use a security system and it is armed at all times (there is a stay mode that will ring immediately if the windows are breached, disables the motion sensors, and will give a person 30 seconds to deactivate the alarm if external doors are breached). I do agree with getting different signs from the security system company you actually use. Our alarm is on a separate power and communications grid as compared to the rest of the house.

I have 10+ cheapie external Blink cameras just to keep an eye on the outside.

I have 4 high definition wired cameras (again on a separate power and communications grid) also set up on the high traffic external areas of our home.

Once inside, we have another combo of 10+ cheapie internal Blink cameras just to keep an eye on random areas of the house.

I have hidden high definition cameras scattered across various areas of the home (once again on yet another power and communications grid) for more important areas of the home.

We don't have a dog

And finally, there's a secured firearm in every room of the house

We do have a safe but it's really there to house secure documents. We don't have any jewelry and it's rare that we would have more than $500 in the house. Ironically, the firearms are probably the most valuable material possessions in our home.

Our neighbors don't know what we keep on the inside of our home and (security feature wise) but I get the feeling they are spooked just from the sheer number of external cameras (either we are housing something very valuable inside or are just plain crazy 😀)

queso

Post by queso » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:34 am

Lots of good info has been posted upthread. A home security system is useful as one of several layers of security. It does no good if it is turned off. It does no good in a home invasion as far as protecting you from harm since the response time of law enforcement to security system alarms is too slow and LEOs have to be cautious before entering (remember the Petit invasion?). Alarm (turned on) + camera system + dogs + a method of defending yourself once the aforementioned systems have alerted you to a burglar/invader are the way to go. A couple people mentioned bars/deadbolts, etc. Those are good, but you have to look at each individual scenario and the architecture of your home when making choices that work for your environment. A lot of houses these days have way too much glass to make bars, deadbolts and contact sensors useful. You need to look to motion sensors, glass breaks, cameras and canines in these scenarios.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am

Good point regarding bars and deadbolts

We have reinforced the locks on our doors but we live in an area where the doors swing outward for some reason. In this instance, bars to barricade the doors aren't effective

We have hurricane resistant glass all over the house (for weather and non security reasons) but the added security benefit is that they will withstand quite some force before breaking.

If we aren't at home, hopefully that will be enough noise for a neighbor to notice

If at home, hopefully it buys me enough time to reach for the closest firearm...

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:01 pm

FWIW - I think folks should lay off the OP regarding the 'inside job son' issue. The point has been made, and I'm sure the OP gets it.

Unbased accusations in forums tend to take on a life of their own, and next thing you know the entire thread is devoted to false accusations and 'what-if' scenarios that directly attack the OP rather than helpfully address the original issue. I'll take the OP's word for it that she knows her son and per her lifelong judgment, he's trustworthy and reliable, even if it is worth a brief thought as to considering whether an inside job was possible.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

lightheir wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:01 pm
FWIW - I think folks should lay off the OP regarding the 'inside job son' issue. The point has been made, and I'm sure the OP gets it.

Unbased accusations in forums tend to take on a life of their own, and next thing you know the entire thread is devoted to false accusations and 'what-if' scenarios that directly attack the OP rather than helpfully address the original issue. I'll take the OP's word for it that she knows her son and per her lifelong judgment, he's trustworthy and reliable, even if it is worth a brief thought as to considering whether an inside job was possible.
To play devil's advocate, sometimes it takes an outsider to make us face or realize things we wouldn't want to.

I think it's a fair point to mention. Security systems by themselves are already not fool proof. I think layering multiple systems as described above can increase security (especially for someone who feels particularly vulnerable after already being a victim of a crime)

But all the systems in the world won't work if there's an insider compromising it. I agree it's probably hurtful to keep hearing it but I definitely thing it's something that should be seriously addressed.

gips

Post by gips » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 pm

we've just become empty nesters, our 75 lb dog recently passed and we'd like to do a little travel. we live in a very safe place but our neighbor's house was broken into a couple of years ago. I'm looking into hybrid security/home automation systems and have found our insurance company offers a $360 yearly discount if we have monitored fire/smoke/entrance alarms. that's just about what some of the newer companies charge per month, so after the initial equipment outlay (less than $1k) and self-installation, we'll have nominal monthly costs.

seems like a no-brainer.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I feel I need to update a previous comment I wrote on 14Aug17:
Home security systems are kind of cool and actually very inexpensive. I use two old iPhone 5s and an app called "Presence". Totally free. It has a motion detector and sends me a video if there is any movement. I live in a very secure environment but it's kind of fun to look at your place on your iPhone.

Shortly after that I felt forced to send the following email to Presence on 14Sep17:
I have happily used presence for about 6 months with two iPhone 5s as my cameras and another iPhone and an iPad as my remote. About a month ago I noticed that one of my iPhone 5s screens was expanding, perhaps being caused by a bulging battery. Now I see the same thing is happening to my other iPhone 5. Is this caused by Presence? Is it safe? What should I do?
Attachment(s) IMG_0284.jpg {showing the bulging iPhones]

I received an almost immediate {and incredible} response from Evan of that company:
Thanks for contacting People Power Company - the creators of Presence! We really appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us.
Hey there, this is not too uncommon as it is a result of the phone being plugged in for long extended periods of time. I'm going to escalate your ticket and gather some suggestions for you. Best Regards, Evan

Despite subsequent emails I have not heard anything from Presence.
I obviously wish to withdraw my endorsement of their product

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

vbdoug wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm
Home security systems are kind of cool and actually very inexpensive. I use two old iPhone 5s and an app called "Presence". Totally free. It has a motion detector and sends me a video if there is any movement. I live in a very secure environment but it's kind of fun to look at your place on your iPhone.

Shortly after that I felt forced to send the following email to Presence on 14Sep17:
I have happily used presence for about 6 months with two iPhone 5s as my cameras and another iPhone and an iPad as my remote. About a month ago I noticed that one of my iPhone 5s screens was expanding, perhaps being caused by a bulging battery. Now I see the same thing is happening to my other iPhone 5. Is this caused by Presence? Is it safe? What should I do?

I received an almost immediate {and incredible} response from Evan of that company:
Thanks for contacting People Power Company - the creators of Presence! We really appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us.
Hey there, this is not too uncommon as it is a result of the phone being plugged in for long extended periods of time. I'm going to escalate your ticket and gather some suggestions for you. Best Regards, Evan

I obviously wish to withdraw my endorsement of their product
I can see you being irritated that customer service didn't get back to you after promising to do so, but the problem you experienced is almost certainly because of the hardware, not the software. The only thing the software did was cause the phone to be used for long periods of time, and that stresses the battery.

Apple had a replacement program for the battery in your phone series because of known problems. Those phones are so old now that I don't think they are even doing that any longer. The phones are considered to be well beyond the expected useful life, and even if they were not, the batteries would still be. Batteries are like hard drives, eventually they will fail.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/25/technol ... index.html

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

darrvao777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am
I'm paranoid
Well, to me you are a bit over the top. However, this is America, and you should live your life the way that makes you content.

I've had monitored systems over the years, but they don't do a lot of good when you're out of town for a while, if nobody is around to respond when the police arrive. In my town, police respond to alarms with drawn weapons, but if the place is unoccupied there is little they can do beyond walking the perimeter.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm

You Arizona guys need to think again. I am a Arizona resident who was a early victim of the "rock burglar". He robbed homes in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley for 12 or more years. He focused on high end homes. He was a winter visitor. Many of the places he robbed were alarmed and empty. But some were occupied and the people were in another part of the home. The issue is the alarms did not slow him down. I am not sure if a good dog would have helped stop this guy if you and the dog were not there when he struck. He did not break into big safes or take big items that I am aware. So a realllllly goood heavvvvy safe would be the best solution from my viewpoint.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... e/2629175/

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:14 pm

gamboolman wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm
We have Zombie Bars up, AKA Burglar Bars....on all windows
Have Hardened doors.
Anyone getting in will take some time and make a helluva racket doing it.....loud enough to wake your slumbering son....
We live in Texas - Thank God... We don't dial 911

I don't have burglar bars or hardened doors, and I don't have an alarm system as I live out in the country and by the time the sheriff got there, the burglars would be long gone.
My security system consists the same as the one you have....except mine is a Glock 19 :)
You don't dial 911, but you have a 1911....I love it!

I do have a gun safe, it would be difficult to break into, but not impossible. I still keep all my important papers and things at a safety deposit box at the bank. For $20 a year it's worth it, because if my house ever caught fire it would more than likely be burned to the ground before the fire department arrived.

I agree with others, it sounds as if it's an inside job, or at the very least someone who had knowledge about your safe.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 pm

vbdoug wrote: ↑Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I obviously wish to withdraw my endorsement of their product.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am
I can see you being irritated that customer service didn't get back to you after promising to do so, but the problem you experienced is almost certainly because of the hardware, not the software. The only thing the software did was cause the phone to be used for long periods of time, and that stresses the battery.

Apple had a replacement program for the battery in your phone series because of known problems. Those phones are so old now that I don't think they are even doing that any longer. The phones are considered to be well beyond the expected useful life, and even if they were not, the batteries would still be. Batteries are like hard drives, eventually they will fail.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pajamas, thank you for your response. Apple did have a problem with iPhone 5 batteries and did offer a recall. Unfortunately that ended last year and the Apple agent could not tell me if my serial numbers were among those recalled.

I now have 3 iPhone 5's plus a 6+ and an iPad. Again, I never any problems except with the two iPhone 5's that both went bad six and seven months respectively after I hooked them up to Presence. When the first one went bad, coincidence. But when the second one went bad {in the same manner} and when you factor in that other people have had the same issue with Presence, there appears to be cause and effect. And then factor Evan's comment "This is not too uncommon as it is a result of the phone being plugged in for long extended periods of time." Well, that is what you are told to do to use the Presence product. If the software caused the problem, then the software caused the problem.
I think after Evan's admission he is probably no longer with Presence. Again, never heard anything back from them since then. Still not happy.