Lack of Feedback from Vanguard Reps when Suggestions are Made

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pubman

Lack of Feedback from Vanguard Reps when Suggestions are Made

Post by pubman »

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before (or if I posted it in the wrong forum). I've been a Vanguard investor for more than 15 years. In all that time I have made what I considered some useful suggestions to my Flagship reps who say they will submit this to the appropriate department. And yet later I never get any feedback from them or anyone else at Vanguard.

One example: I have suggested multiple times that in the online screen that a direct link to Billpay be placed directly (clearly) under the VanguardAdvantage heading. Presently it is buried under the link "More Account Information", and yet there is plenty of room to the right of this link to add a more easily found direct link to Billpay. Also, years ago, for the sake of account security, I suggested that when Vanguard send us an email regarding a transaction that they do not include in the email the ability to direct link to vanguard.com since this could be a way a hacker sends a phishing email to gain account login information. Again, I also never received any feedback on this. There have been many other examples.

I interpret this lack of responsiveness as a lack of respect for us, the client investors, displaying a complete disinterest in our suggestions. Perhaps, for managing costs, there are not sufficient personnel to address these suggestions, and even less personnel to respond back personally. I guess this, unfortunately, accounts for how we have our low cost funds. :(

I am interested if any others have found this lack of responsiveness/feedback at Vanguard.
livesoft

Re: Lack of Feedback from Vanguard Reps when Suggestions are Made

Post by livesoft »

I have suggested some web site changes in the past to Vanguard and they have actually done those changes. I will never know if they made changes because I suggested them or because others suggested the same things or because the CEO suggested the changes. I just don't care.

FWIW, one of my former tasks was to create user interfaces for software and to improve the corporate web site, so I was always sending polite hints to my peeps how to do that. I did learn that a juggernaut does not change direction on a dime and when it does so, it doesn't leave change.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

pubman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:28 am Sorry if this topic has been discussed before (or if I posted it in the wrong forum). I've been a Vanguard investor for more than 15 years. In all that time I have made what I considered some useful suggestions to my Flagship reps who say they will submit this to the appropriate department. And yet later I never get any feedback from them or anyone else at Vanguard.

One example: I have suggested multiple times that in the online screen that a direct link to Billpay be placed directly (clearly) under the VanguardAdvantage heading. Presently it is buried under the link "More Account Information", and yet there is plenty of room to the right of this link to add a more easily found direct link to Billpay. Also, years ago, for the sake of account security, I suggested that when Vanguard send us an email regarding a transaction that they do not include in the email the ability to direct link to vanguard.com since this could be a way a hacker sends a phishing email to gain account login information. Again, I also never received any feedback on this. There have been many other examples.

I interpret this lack of responsiveness as a lack of respect for us, the client investors, displaying a complete disinterest in our suggestions. Perhaps, for managing costs, there are not sufficient personnel to address these suggestions, and even less personnel to respond back personally. I guess this, unfortunately, accounts for how we have our low cost funds. :(

I am interested if any others have found this lack of responsiveness/feedback at Vanguard.
Wow. You are very lucky to get a rep willing to submit a suggestion to an appropriate department.

I've stopped bothering after *every single time* getting an irritated version of "Well, *I* can't do anything about that!" - even when I prefaced a comment/suggestion with something about "Perhaps you could forward this suggestion to the appropriate department........."

"Customer Service R NOT Vanguard"

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Here's some feedback. It's great that you make suggestions to improve Vanguard for all of us. I'm sure if enough customers make the same or similar suggestions the cacophony of voices gets heard and changes ensue.

There are 20 million Vanguard customers. I'm not sure what type of feedback you expect. Just keep doing what you do and trust that at some level it makes a difference. :)
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

Highly doubtful that is specific to VG. I tell companies all the time how to improve their process and can only think of time when I got a reply and they actually made a change. I suppose it is not time-efficient for them to contact everyone who makes suggestions even if they make a change since many may have made the same suggestion.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

The OP's suggestions may not have passed a "cost-benefit analysis" and Vanguard may not want to spend money on suggestions that will only cost them money without tangible benefits.

I once made a suggestion to a brokerage (not Vanguard) and it was implemented by the brokerage because the benefit outweighed the cost.

If a responsive brokerage is very important to the OP, he may wish to do business with another brokerage. I think a lot of Vanguard customers make do with what Vanguard has because they don't want to pay more for their investments.