PSA - Mute button for Gas Station TV!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fundseeker

PSA - Mute button for Gas Station TV!

Post by fundseeker »

If you don't want to listen to those annoying ads while pumping gas, you can mute the ads by pressing the second black square button down on the right side. Just thought I'd share that in case you find it annoying and distracting.
runner3081

Re: PSA - Mute button for Gas Station TV!

Post by runner3081 »

I assume this probably depends on the pump/tv manufacturer.
Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

You could be correct. So if nothing else, this makes people aware that one of those unmarked black squares will work to stop the noise!
FraggleRock

Gas Station TVs are evil

Post by FraggleRock »

My solution is to never patronize that station again.

"[TV] is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamarind

Re: Gas Station TVs are evil

Post by Tamarind »

FraggleRock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 am My solution is to never patronize that station again.
You are eventually going to run out of places to fill up. Electric car? :twisted:
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Thanks for the tip. They don't bother me - stations are noisy anyway. I usually just get back in my car while the gas is pumping - especially in winter.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
FraggleRock

Electric future for us

Post by FraggleRock »

Tamarind wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 am You are eventually going to run out of places to fill up. Electric car?
Our next car will be 100% electric.
We live in the city and only put 4500 mi/yr on our car.
A typical day of driving is way under 20 miles.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Sidney wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 am Thanks for the tip. They don't bother me - stations are noisy anyway. I usually just get back in my car while the gas is pumping - especially in winter.
Just be sure to touch some exposed metal on the frame of the car or the pump before you touch the pump handle. Static discharge + gas vapor is not a good combination. I've gotten the static discharge myself a couple times but luckily there must not have been enough gas vapor in the area.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 am
Sidney wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 am Thanks for the tip. They don't bother me - stations are noisy anyway. I usually just get back in my car while the gas is pumping - especially in winter.
Just be sure to touch some exposed metal on the frame of the car or the pump before you touch the pump handle. Static discharge + gas vapor is not a good combination. I've gotten the static discharge myself a couple times but luckily there must not have been enough gas vapor in the area.
Not only is there the static issue which has resulted in hundred of fires over the years. but leaving the pump unattended is just plain reckless and inherently dangerous.

There are numerous cases of gas pump cut off failures every year. Luckily, most of these do not result in fires. Twenty years ago, I had a cut off failure and I was standing nearby. There was still a large quantity of gasoline that poured out. I can't imagine how much would spill if you were sitting in the car and even worse if you weren't paying attention.

Just how long does it take to pump gas that requires getting back in the car. I live in Northern New England and the winters can get pretty brutal. I have never felt the need to get back in the vehicle for the minute or so it takes to refuel.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I just remain in the car while the attendant is filling up the car :) (Oregon)

When I lived in CA, a gas station convenient to my home introduced these stupid TV screens. I switched to another station (nearby) that also often had a slightly lower price for regular unleaded.
Spirit Rider wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 am Not only is there the static issue which has resulted in hundred of fires over the years. but leaving the pump unattended is just plain reckless and inherently dangerous.
I don't completely disagree, even though in 30 years of self-pumping worldwide I have not had any accident. That said, here in Oregon the "attendants" don't watch the pump while it is in operation. They run from pump to pump since there are usually only one of two of them for a half dozen or more pumps.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Spirit Rider wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 am but leaving the pump unattended is just plain reckless and inherently dangerous.
Someone should tell that to the dozens of attendants on the NJ Turnpike. I have never seen any one of them stay with the pump. They zip from car to car and return after the pump stops -- sometimes a long time after if the station is busy.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

back to the original topic...

those TVs are my new pet peeve. some are REALLY loud.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
jdb

Re: Electric future for us

Post by jdb »

FraggleRock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am
Tamarind wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 am You are eventually going to run out of places to fill up. Electric car?
Yes, another good reason to go all electric and use your garage as fueling station. As someone who almost never watches TV am offended with the gas station television, wondered if there was a way to turn it off, glad that I am not the only one who thinks gas stations becoming more and more obnoxious. Thanks for the thread.
Dottie57

Re: Electric future for us

Post by Dottie57 »

jdb wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am
FraggleRock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am
Yes, another good reason to go all electric and use your garage as fueling station. As someone who almost never watches TV am offended with the gas station television, wondered if there was a way to turn it off, glad that I am not the only one who thinks gas stations becoming more and more obnoxious. Thanks for the thread.

I wish I could go electric. No plugins for my condo!
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

TV's distract. Always lock your car when filling. DO NOT LEAVE THE KEYS IN THE CAR. Thieves in our area are stealing contents (purses, phones, cash) from unwitting people at the pump by opening up the opposite side car door while customers are mesmerized by the TV or pump numbers. Police have added warning stickers to the pumps.

Police call them SLIDERS
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Ha ha. When I go to the dentist, the TV is playing facing the chair (with the sound on) through the entire visit. (Usually Foxnews.)
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

I just got an advertisement in the mail for a local dentist.
One of the highlights of their practice that they strongly emphasized was that they had DirecTV and Pandora available while you're in the chair. :D
Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

So, from this April article, it appears their noise is only going to spread.

"Gas Station TV started 11 years ago with the concept of bringing television content and advertising to the gas pump. The now-ubiquitous TVs are present at roughly 10-12 percent of the nation’s estimated 100,000 gas stations."
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I get fewer disgusted looks from the opposite sex if I watch the TV rather than people-watch as I wait for my gas tank to fill up, so I don't mind the sound.
sesq

Post by sesq »

So far I have a mental list of gas stations around me that don't have those things. Next time I get stuck I will look for your button. Hope I find it!
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

fundseeker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 pm If you don't want to listen to those annoying ads while pumping gas, you can mute the ads by pressing the second black square button down on the right side. Just thought I'd share that in case you find it annoying and distracting.
Costco gas is cheaper and there are no TVs!
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

These TVs invaded grocery store checkout lines near my house a two years ago.

They got so many complaints that they were gone within three months.

Ralph
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

An off-topic post was removed. This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, no longer productive). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.