Tub/shower/bath cleaners...your recommended products?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tamales

Tub/shower/bath cleaners...your recommended products?

Post by Tamales »

Beyond soap film, which just about any product can remove, what is your recommended product for tough jobs (like mineral deposits)?

I used to use this product that I can't find anymore and can't remember the name. If I describe it, hopefully someone will reply with the name and once I see it, I'll remember.

It was a spray (mist) and had a cherry-like scent. It came in a plastic trigger-spray bottle, and I think the bottle was mostly white.

This stuff worked great for cultured marble shower walls. I would pour it into a paint roller tray, roll it on the walls (it would foam slightly), then cover it with clear plastic wrap (e.g. saran wrap), wait several hours, and then all the crusty mineral deposits would mostly just wipe off without even needing to scrub.

Does that product ring any bells with anyone?
littlebird

Re: Tub/shower/bath cleaners...your recommended products?

Post by littlebird »

Tamales wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 pm Beyond soap film, which just about any product can remove, what is your recommended product for tough jobs (like mineral deposits)?

I used to use this product that I can't find anymore and can't remember the name. If I describe it, hopefully someone will reply with the name and once I see it, I'll remember.

It was a spray (mist) and had a cherry-like scent. It came in a plastic trigger-spray bottle, and I think the bottle was mostly white.

This stuff worked great for cultured marble shower walls. I would pour it into a paint roller tray, roll it on the walls (it would foam slightly), then cover it with clear plastic wrap (e.g. saran wrap), wait several hours, and then all the crusty mineral deposits would mostly just wipe off without even needing to scrub.

I have found that having a whole-house water softener makes bathroom cleaning a non-problem.
cynicalbuthopeful

Post by cynicalbuthopeful »

I have found CLR to be the best on mineral deposits.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

littlebird wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pmI have found that having a whole-house water softener makes bathroom cleaning a non-problem.
This and using liquid instead of bar soap.
invst65

Post by invst65 »

In Florida, the bigger problem is mildew. After trying many things I've found that a foaming Clorox spray used about once a week eliminates it, even from the shower curtain. Don't even have to scrub.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Have you looked at the Google search results for cherry scent shower cleaner? https://www.google.com/search?q=cherry+ ... 8&oe=utf-8

Three out of the top five results for me is to this product, which claims to have a "unique" cherry scent: https://www.amazon.com/Eliminate%C2%AE- ... B009KPAYAM

The other common result was to this product, which claims a cherry-almond scent: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... ry-Almond/

The later appears to be more of an industrial (janitorial) product, while the former appears to be more of a consumer product.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

I've found products that contain phosphoric acid work the best.

phosphoric acid cleaning products:

https://www.google.com/search?q=phospho ... 80&bih=666
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

lthenderson wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:38 pm
littlebird wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pmI have found that having a whole-house water softener makes bathroom cleaning a non-problem.
This and using liquid instead of bar soap.
Agree. And shower curtains, which can be taken down from time to time and thrown into the washing machine, instead of clear glass doors.
ellvizzle

Post by ellvizzle »

My latest miracle discovery has been using the Barkeeper's Friend spray (much easier than the powder version) with stainless steel scrub pad. Works great on glass and stall floor, etc. We're on a well so deposits seem to build up relatively quickly.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

For glass shower doors and to some extent the whole shower, a combination of vinegar and dawn dishwashing soap works very well for build up. You can google this and see all kinds of videos. It really does work.

Once clean I find using a product like clean shower everyday after you shower works very well.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Yeah I could use a better way to clean my acrylic tub without scratching it up
iceport

Post by iceport »

invst65 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm After trying many things I've found that a foaming Clorox spray used about once a week eliminates it, even from the shower curtain.
How do you get the Clorox to "foam?" Is it a certain product?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

iceport wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 pm
invst65 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm After trying many things I've found that a foaming Clorox spray used about once a week eliminates it, even from the shower curtain.
Foaming Clorox spray is a commercial product: https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-bleach-foamer/
iceport

Post by iceport »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm
iceport wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Foaming Clorox spray is a commercial product: https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-bleach-foamer/
Thanks!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Kaboom tub/tile spray works great for my needs.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Tamales wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 pm Beyond soap film, which just about any product can remove, what is your recommended product for tough jobs (like mineral deposits)?

Once you get the shower cleaned (using whatever chemical products necessary),for future maintenance of the cleanliness and appearance just get a squeegee and some of those sham-wow type absorbent yellow-orange cloths (available inexpensive at Home Depot) and after each shower just do a quick squeegee of the walls and floor to eliminate most of the water followed by hand wipe-down of walls and then (using your foot) a quick wipe-down of floor. No chemicals, no mildew, no mold, no expense. Put a towel around yourself while you do this. You will dry at the same time as the shower, so no time loss either. The squeegee part requires the most effort. If you don't want the bending required to squeegee the floor or walls just use two or three of the yellow absorbent cloths to soak up all the residual water from your shower without squeegeeing at all. They'll get soaked quickly if you don't squeegee first so you'll need to use two or three. Hand wring them and they dry in two or three hours and can be used for months before starting to wear thin.
TSR

Post by TSR »

SuperGrafx wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 am Kaboom tub/tile spray works great for my needs.
I use the version of this product that has bleach and love it, but I have been very dissatisfied with the version that does NOT contain bleach. The former gets rid of mildew without any hassle, while the latter takes a lot more scrubbing in my experience.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Post by Tamales » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 pm

I used to use this product that I can't find anymore and can't remember the name.

I would love to know what this product is also. We have stubborn, yellowish mineral deposits on our shower walls, tub and pedestal sink which nothing (and I mean NOTHING) seems to touch, including CLR. I have gone as far as to try and chip them off with a single edge razor blade, with limited success.
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

The best bathroom cleaner is ROG 3. Check it out on You Tube. A bit pricy but it works wonders. I have been using it for over 3 years now. Puts all other cleaners to shame, especially using it on the no slip texture on tubs.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have a septic system so I don't use cleaners with bleach. That said we have been using Oxyclean with no issues so far. I use a minimum amount and make it into a paste which I let sit on the shower surfaces. After a few hours I rinse/scrub it off and the surfaces are nice and clean.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Hettie

Post by Hettie »

I save my used up mesh shower puffs to clean my acrylic shower. I spray the scrubbing Bubbles or Lysol spray and wait a bit then wipe with used up mesh body puff. Softly abrasive.