MiFi for International Travel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
semperlux

MiFi for International Travel

Post by semperlux » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Anybody buy a MiFi for international travel? Going to visit Britain, and cost of renting a MiFi twice is the same cost as buying one, so I'd like to purchase one, preferably that can work in as many countries as possible, so I can bring it with me, and buy a local sim card to pop in for internet access. Looking for one that works in Europe (Britain, France, Spain, Greece, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark) and Asia (Korea, Japan, Hong Kong,Taiwan, China) especially.

Anyone have a good recommendation for one geared for international multi country use?

I use Verizon for mobile service. Verizon's MiFi doesn't allow inserting third party or "non approved" SIM from other countries for use.

After some googling, here are some of the ones I've found. Anyone use any of these who can chime in on how well well they work? Other suggestions?

GlocalMe U2
works for over 100 countries, can use local SIM cards as well as the company's own cloud SIM cards; cloud SIM cards are relatively more expensive, caps data to 2 GB, and drops the speed down to 128 kbps after 2GB, and some people reports data "leakage" where it burns through data when you're not using the MiFi.

Huawei E5786
One of the fastest at advertised 300Mbps, supports double bands of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for Wifi and dual band LTE, one of the smallest sized MiFis, expensive at >$200

TP-Link M7350
One of the cheapest unlocked MiFi's on the market, but may not be compatible with as many countries as GlocalMe and is not as fast or support as many bands as Huawei's MiFi.

keaton

Re: MiFi for International Travel

Post by keaton » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 pm

I personally just have an old iPhone and toss any sim into that, start up hotspot and bam, done. It has to be an iPhone 5 or newer Verizon model.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 am

keaton wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 pm
I personally just have an old iPhone and toss any sim into that, start up hotspot and bam, done. It has to be an iPhone 5 or newer Verizon model.
yes, most of the modern phones can become a hotspot. Both Android and iOS. I no longer see a reason to bother with MiFi when traveling. Also, when I am using my laptop instead of my phone, I am normally in a WiFi area. But, if not, I can use my phone as a hotspot and then my laptop can use that WiFi. Instead of bringing a MiFi, bring a portable 3 to 5 ounce battery to keep up your phone charge in that situation. yet another negative is that you will need to get 2 sims when traveling to another country (one for you phone and one for your MiFi), so it's more expense and trouble. Just not worth it.

I am traveling to Japan next month and have got an AirBnB place in each of Kyoto and Tokyo. Unlike a hotel, these places do not have WiFi. But both owners provide a free MiFi with the rental ... so in the one situation where it might be handy for me, it is already provided for free. If they didn't provide it, I could have still used my phone for that, however.

langleybc

Post by langleybc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 am

There is no need to get MiFi if you travel to the UK. Sim cards are free, data/voice/txt plans are so cheap. Speed is not that fast though.
UK 3 sim card can also be used to roam in EU, data is 1p per mb, limited to 3g. DL is about 2m, UL about 700k.

jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

Agree with everyone else use your phone. Big advantage is you'll be able to SMS which will quite often need. On top of that your phone already has the apps you use and one less thing to be carrying around.

semperlux

Post by semperlux » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am

Thanks everyone. I agree, using the mobile phone is more efficient and one less thing to carry.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Verizon. However in order to use their hotspot feature, they require me to enroll for that feature to pay extra to use the function that's already on the device on data that I've already paid for on my phone. Do I need an unlocked phone to use it? Or does it automatically let me use the hotspot feature as soon as I pop in a sim card from the country I'm visiting?

jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 am

semperlux wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am
Thanks everyone. I agree, using the mobile phone is more efficient and one less thing to carry.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Verizon. However in order to use their hotspot feature, they require me to enroll for that feature to pay extra to use the function that's already on the device on data that I've already paid for on my phone. Do I need an unlocked phone to use it? Or does it automatically let me use the hotspot feature as soon as I pop in a sim card from the country I'm visiting?
That's an old phone. They will likely unlock for free if you tell them and are just suspending for a week to three. They aren't in the phone business the same way there were a few years back. Plus they like collecting monthly fees on people who are going to use 0 services.

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:18 am

I think MiFi's are useless. Buy a second phone if you need to.

One reason US MiFi's are useless is because they don't support European LTE frequencies. Your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 doesn't either. So you won't get LTE speeds no matter the carrier. Sadly only newer higher end smartphones (iphone 6/6S/7/SE, some nexus/pixel etc) support both US and EU LTE frequencies.

But, your Galaxy Note 4 is unlocked already. All Verizon LTE devices are. The FCC requires it. So you can stick any foreign prepaid SIM you want into it. While the foreign SIM is in your phone it doesn't matter what plan you have with Verizon.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

semperlux wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am
Do I need an unlocked phone to use it? Or does it automatically let me use the hotspot feature as soon as I pop in a sim card from the country I'm visiting?
The subsidy lock has nothing to do with the hotspot feature. However, is relevant to using a foreign SIM. You will need to have it unlocked to use any SIM aside from ones from the carrier it is locked to.
semperlux wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm
Anybody buy a MiFi for international travel? Going to visit Britain, and cost of renting a MiFi twice is the same cost as buying one, so I'd like to purchase one, preferably that can work in as many countries as possible, so I can bring it with me, and buy a local sim card to pop in for internet access.
I'd advise against relying on using one in multiple countries unless you know exactly which countries you will use it in and which specific carriers provide coverage in the specific areas that you're traveling into and which networks and bands the device needs to support. For Japan I had to use different devices on different trips since I was only in a major city one trip but spent quite a bit of time an outlying area on a subsequent trip. The device that worked for the first trip would have been a complete waste of money for the second trip. I was, however, able to find a device that provided the coverage I needed.

ryman554

Post by ryman554 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Better yet is to go get a Google Fi plan.

International data costs the same as domestic data.

For a frequent international traveler, can't be beat.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I used Skyroam the last couple of times I went to Europe and Asia. They worked great both times but it seemed the battery drained a lttle too fast the second time. $10 a day, unlimited data, and 5 devices can connect to it.