Trip to Banff / Lake Louise / other places

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rob5TCP

Trip to Banff / Lake Louise / other places

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I've been to Edmonton, AB, Canada several times and we have gone to Banff twice (and love it there).
This trip we will be 5 days in Canmore (near Banff);
4 days in Edmonton (where she is from);
1-2 days around Lake Louise;

Considering
1 day at the Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary (closest we will probably ever get to Wolves);
1 day at the Royal Tyrrell Museum (I love dinosaurs)
1 day at the Discovery Wildlife Park in Innisfalls

The last one I am not so sure about (we've been to the Bronx Zoo many times and the San Diego Wildlife Park).
Not sure if this is worth the diversion.

other areas of interest would be appreciated (in Edmonton / Calgary she knows most of the areas to go to)
it's the wilder areas -- Jasper for this trip is out.

Rob5TCP

Re: Trip to Banff / Lake Louise / other places

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Any Bogelheads from Alberta - or vacationed there ?

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks like you already know what to do. I've vacationed in the area and I have family in British Columbia so I travel every year to the area. One of the things that I thought was worth the expense was to spring for the Fairmount hotels in Banff and Lake Louise. It made our trip so much memorable and I would do that again (but my next trip will likely be on a motorhome).

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 pm

The highlights of my visit there a few years back were Emerald Lake and hiking the Iceline trail in Yoho.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I thought this was a good list, see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wETgdf9FM-4

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm

mmarreco wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 pm
Looks like you already know what to do. I've vacationed in the area and I have family in British Columbia so I travel every year to the area. One of the things that I thought was worth the expense was to spring for the Fairmount hotels in Banff and Lake Louise. It made our trip so much memorable and I would do that again (but my next trip will likely be on a motorhome).

Friends of hers stayed there and loved the hotel; but weren't thrilled with the room (for the money). We are either going to have brunch there or she would like to do afternoon tea.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 pm
I thought this was a good list, see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wETgdf9FM-4
Great video - we are definately going to do a cruise. Last time we were there the Gondola was already closed - that's on our list for this trip.
Will also check out some other videos -- good idea.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:09 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Friends of hers stayed there and loved the hotel; but weren't thrilled with the room (for the money). We are either going to have brunch there or she would like to do afternoon tea.
We stayed there once... still dream about that breakfast buffet.. lol If you have never been up it, I also recommend going up Sulphur Mt. The overlook over the town of Banff is amazing. We took the gondola up (only if you like heights) and walked back down. It is a long walk.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm
I've been to Edmonton, AB, Canada several times and we have gone to Banff twice (and love it there).

Considering
1 day at the Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary (closest we will probably ever get to Wolves);

The last one I am not so sure about (we've been to the Bronx Zoo many times and the San Diego Wildlife Park).

other areas of interest would be appreciated (in Edmonton / Calgary she knows most of the areas to go to)
What time of year is the visit planned?

Royal Tyrrell Museum is spectacular and we take most of our visitors there. It is a solid 2+ hours drive from Calgary, so it will be much longer from Canmore and/or Lake Louise.

I'm not familiar with either of the other attractions you are considering visiting.

In the Lake Louise area, make sure you check out Moraine Lake. You might also want to check out Johnston Canyon, which is on the secondary highway between Banff and Lake Louise. Highly recommended drive one way if you are driving back and forth between Banff and Lake Louise.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Considering

What time of year is the visit planned?

Royal Tyrrell Museum is spectacular and we take most of our visitors there. It is a solid 2+ hours drive from Calgary, so it will be much longer from Canmore and/or Lake Louise.

I'm not familiar with either of the other attractions you are considering visiting.

In the Lake Louise area, make sure you check out Moraine Lake. You might also want to check out Johnston Canyon, which is on the secondary highway between Banff and Lake Louise. Highly recommended drive one way if you are driving back and forth between Banff and Lake Louise.
I am leaving for Edmonton in a week -- will be in Canmore (by Banff) a week later.
We've definitely decided on Royal Tyrrell - still undecided on Dinosaur Prov Park.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm
We've definitely decided on Royal Tyrrell - still undecided on Dinosaur Prov Park.
Dinosaur Provincial Park is another 2+ hours east from Royal Tyrrell. We've done it once and didn't feel the need to go back with any of our visitors, it's just too much additional driving time.

On the way to Royal Tyrrell, you might want to stop at Horseshoe Canyon for a quick visit.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 am
Rob5TCP wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm
Dinosaur Provincial Park is another 2+ hours east from Royal Tyrrell. We've done it once and didn't feel the need to go back with any of our visitors, it's just too much additional driving time.

On the way to Royal Tyrrell, you might want to stop at Horseshoe Canyon for a quick visit.
We checked it out - thank you -- we are also looking at Horsethief canyon as well.
Both look like nice diversions on the way to Tyrrell.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:13 am

I suggest you look into a tour of the glaciers outside Banff. See below.

https://www.brewster.ca/attractions-sig ... xperience/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... berta.html

And for even more great scenery go south to the Glacier National Park in Montana. See below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_N ... _Park_(U.S.)
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/index.htm

Go visit the Olympic Games venue in Calgary. The ski jumping hill and the bob sled runs are cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Olympic_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Winter_Olympics

Good Luck.

djbaer

Post by djbaer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:41 am

I'll second the recommendation for Johnston Canyon. It's always one of my favorites on a visit to Banff. Plan to do the walk to the lower falls and, if you're up to it, to the upper falls as well. As a kid we stayed at the Johnston Canyon Bungalo Camp (now it's called Johnston Canyon Resort). Certainly not the Fairmont Hotels but a great location if you're open to cabins for accommodations.

I'd also second the recommendation for the secondary road between Banff and Lake Louise. I think it's called the Bow Valley Trail. Beautiful drive and great views and photo stops all along the way. Much better than driving the interstate.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park, just west of Lake Louise in B.C.

The falls are more impressive in the early summer, but I enjoy seeing them and hiking around the area whenever the road is open.