Should I buy a paint sprayer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BrianMc

Should I buy a paint sprayer?

Post by BrianMc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:16 pm

We're on our third home in 15+ years. The first two were new and I painted both interiors. Currently on our third home, which is approaching 40 years old. We have several projects on the horizon to include a complete re-siding job in the very near future. Because this will change the entire look of the exterior, I'll have to either paint the two-car garage door and some exterior doors myself or pay to have it done (I've been quoted $300-400). I've always been a roller and brush guy, but considering I have some other interior jobs to tackle in the next year or so, I'm thinking about purchasing a sprayer. I have zero experience using sprayers. So, I'm wondering if it makes sense to purchase one. If so, I'd like to hear about recommendations, if they're appropriate for interiors, etc. Thanks. -Brian

runner3081

Re: Should I buy a paint sprayer?

Post by runner3081 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm

When we painted our last house, we ended up buying a sprayer from Harbor Freight. With a coupon, the cost was about the same price as a rental. Used it to paint the outside of the house with no issues... then sold it for what we paid 2-weeks later.

Unless your house is vacant (for interior painting), plan on a brush and a roller. My good friend is a painter and he will only spray vacant houses without any furniture, trim, etc.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm

I never used a sprayer but my experience may help you.

We rebuilt our home and we held the painting back from the GC and did it ourselves. A co-worker loaned me his "power roller." It was an electrically powered pump that pumped the paint right out of the can through a hose and roller handle to the roller head. This was 1988. It cut the painting time roughly in half since you did not have to take the the roller off the surface being painted to re-load the roller in the pan and no need to re-load the pan.

Keep in mind our house was empty (no furniture to move and cover) and I could fly around from room to room painting the whole day. It was new drywall. We did a prime and 2 coats. Clean-up was more involved since you had to clean-out the pump, hose and handle by pumping water until clear. If I was painting one room at a time, I would have used a conventional roller and pan to avoid cleaning the pump.

I suspect a sprayer would be similar.

For a two car garage door, I'd roll and brush by hand. I would look into renting a sprayer for a lot of siding and/or fence .

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm

We just had our home professionally painted on the exterior, and while they used sprayers for the siding, they used brushes for the trim, garage doors, and doors.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:53 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm
When we painted our last house, we ended up buying a sprayer from Harbor Freight. With a coupon, the cost was about the same price as a rental. Used it to paint the outside of the house with no issues... then sold it for what we paid 2-weeks later.

Unless your house is vacant (for interior painting), plan on a brush and a roller. My good friend is a painter and he will only spray vacant houses without any furniture, trim, etc.
I am currently considering painting my house and the pros I have talked to stated this exactly. Namely, unless the house is vacant, don't do it as the paint goes all over.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Sprayers require more prep work; you have to make sure to cover everything 100% that you don't want painted. But the amount of time saved is likely to be worth it in the end because spraying is so many times easier than brush and roller. Interiors are tricky because I like flat white on the ceiling, eggshell on the walls, and semi-gloss trim. More finishes = more work but that's the case for brush and roller as well.

Sprayers are also likely to give a more even coat if your technique is good. It's not hard and after a few back and forths you should have it down. You can always rent one to see how you like it. I'm not sure about the practicality of buying a sprayer because I think the nozzles and tips wear out and they're not cheap to replace. Also the quality of a rental machine might be better than an entry level machine you buy and you won't have to store it. The upside to buying is that you'll have the sprayer when you want it as it sounds like your projects might be spread out over some time.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:24 pm

I don't think I'd want to spray the interior. Drop clothes are enough hassle as is without the mist factor, not to mention taping edges (which I don't do - I prefer cutting in). If I remember right, those who do spray for interior paint, especially trim and cabinet painters, like the HVLP type.

I borrowed a really good airless sprayer to paint our new siding however. I worked one side of the house at a time. It was usually a full day of masking, after which I could paint the full side in a couple hours. With a little bit of practice, it was quite easy to get even, single coat coverage. With new, pre-primed Hardiplanks, I didn't have to backroll. With existing siding, you need to scrape loose paint and clean the siding, and it's recommended to backroll.

Cleaning the sprayer at the end of each painting cycle was a good 30+ minutes worth of work.

I hand painted the trim.

If I didn't have access to borrow a good sprayer, I'd probably try to buy a lightly used one and sell it when I'm done. It seems like renting one for a few days is usually half the cost of buying one.

BrianMc

Post by BrianMc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:41 am

Great responses, thanks everyone!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 am

I have a mid grade Wagner sprayer. It works great for staining decks using oil based stains. Not so great for spraying sheetrock interior using latex. The latex does not spray smoothly from the sprayer. I wound having to use roller after spraying to get smooth application. My bottomline is do by hand unless you can rent a really high grade sprayer. Also, prep time is greater if you have to cover everything to prevent overspray and also do cleanup.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:28 am

The last time our house was painted, I watched the painters and how they did the work with sprayers. I have a big detached garage (24x36) that I excluded from the paint work. Once they were done, I used my roll around sears compressor with the included junk sprayer. It worked 1000% better than any house sprayer I've ever seen. Like the painters, I used a board to keep paint off trim, doors and foundation. I painted 2 coats in about 4 hours. The biggest amount of work was moving the ladder and constant refilling of the quart container for the gun. Even then, this went extremely fast and paid me back at about $90 an hour compared to the painter's quote for the garage. Previously, we painted the garage by brush and it took 4 of us about 10 hours for a single coat.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:28 am
The last time our house was painted, I watched the painters and how they did the work with sprayers. I have a big detached garage (24x36) that I excluded from the paint work. Once they were done, I used my roll around sears compressor with the included junk sprayer. It worked 1000% better than any house sprayer I've ever seen. Like the painters, I used a board to keep paint off trim, doors and foundation. I painted 2 coats in about 4 hours. The biggest amount of work was moving the ladder and constant refilling of the quart container for the gun. Even then, this went extremely fast and paid me back at about $90 an hour compared to the painter's quote for the garage. Previously, we painted the garage by brush and it took 4 of us about 10 hours for a single coat.
A technique I use is to first roll on the paint with a 4" inch roller and THEN brush it out. Seems to go faster with this method, at least for a 60 yr. old grandpa. :happy
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9