Need advice on car power window switch work

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rec7

Need advice on car power window switch work

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

I have a 1996 car with the power window switch not working on the drivers window. This is a console switch with four switches in the same box. There are no window switches on the doors. Can I rewire it so a back window switch will work the front window. I would be willing to give up one of the back windows. Chevrolet stopped making the switch 10 years ago and all the junkyards around here do not have them. I love rolling down that window and hate to lose it. Have any of you ever done anything like this?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

F150HD

Re: Need advice on car power window switch work

Post by F150HD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 am

swap one from back to front. guessing its the same part, could be wrong.

Look on Ebay for legacy parts.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am

Yes, there is no physical reason why you cannot re-wire if you can figure it out. That is, voltage, wattage, power requirements should all be the same for all the windows, motors, and switches. Sounds like a good plan to me.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am
I have a 1996 car with the power window switch not working on the drivers window. This is a console switch with four switches in the same box. Can I rewire it so a back window switch will work the front window. I would be willing to give up one of the back windows. Chevrolet stopped making the switch 10 years ago and all the junkyards around here do not have them. I love rolling down that window and hate to lose it. Have any of you ever done anything like this?
Well it is a classic car at this point (you can get an antique plate in some states) although I have to tell you I don't think '90s cars will ever be popular collector cars if that's what you're hoping for.

Personally I wouldn't try to swap the wires at the switch connector because it's too easy to break something. Downstream you could swap the wires but you could also just add another switch. Who wants one window that won't go down? Remember the drivers window switch is probably unique mechanically at least compared to all the others so you won't have that functionality unless you do something special.

I tried to replace a power mirror switch once and every junkyard switch I tried was broken in the same way mine was - it was lucky that the junkyard let me try it at their lot and return it, lots of them won't let you do that. Finally I found a new one and it worked okay, but it wasn't for as old a car so I could still find one.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 am

F150HD wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 am

All four switches are on the same part. Looked on ebay no luck.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am
rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am
I have a 1996 car with the power window switch not working on the drivers window. This is a console switch with four switches in the same box. Can I rewire it so a back window switch will work the front window. I would be willing to give up one of the back windows. Chevrolet stopped making the switch 10 years ago and all the junkyards around here do not have them. I love rolling down that window and hate to lose it. Have any of you ever done anything like this?
Well it is a classic car at this point (you can get an antique plate in some states) although I have to tell you I don't think '90s cars will ever be popular collector cars if that's what you're hoping for.

Personally I wouldn't try to swap the wires at the switch connector because it's too easy to break something. Downstream you could swap the wires but you could also just add another switch. Who wants one window that won't go down? Remember the drivers window switch is probably unique mechanically at least compared to all the others so you won't have that functionality unless you do something special.

I tried to replace a power mirror switch once and every junkyard switch I tried was broken in the same way mine was - it was lucky that the junkyard let me try it at their lot and return it, lots of them won't let you do that. Finally I found a new one and it worked okay, but it wasn't for as old a car so I could still find one.
Downstream you could swap the wires. That is what I was thinking.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 am

F150HD wrote:

+1 you don't give the model, but eBay has come thru for me in the past, looking for parts for my 1965 airplane.
For example, eBay listings for some 1996 Chevys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1996-2001-C ... SP&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-DOOR-POWE ... ch&vxp=mtr

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 am

rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am
I would think it would be as easy and simple as unplugging the two wire harnesses from the different windows from the switch and plugging them back into their different slots.*

Did you open up the console and look at the switch box? Got a photo to post?

*This assumes that only the switch is bad and nothing down current from the switch.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am

wire it to the radio so as you increase the volume, the window goes up, when you decrease the volume, the window goes down.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 am
F150HD wrote:

+1 you don't give the model, but eBay has come thru for me in the past, looking for parts for my 1965 airplane.
For example, eBay listings for some 1996 Chevys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1996-2001-C ... SP&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-DOOR-POWE ... ch&vxp=mtr
It is a 1996 chevrolet corsica. I can not find any for a four door.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 am
rec7 wrote:
I would think it would be as easy and simple as unplugging the two wire harnesses from the different windows from the switch and plugging them back into their different slots.*

*This assumes that only the switch is bad and nothing down current from the switch.
I was scared to break the harness. Are they pushed out from the female side?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:47 pm

rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am
I don't know. Post a link to a photo or two or three.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Having trouble over at tinypic so unable to do pics. But I wanted to thank everyone.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Try imgur.com instead of tinypic.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:37 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 pm
Try imgur.com instead of tinypic.
Try Google Drive: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

cestan

Post by cestan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Switchdoctor. Com

cestan

Post by cestan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Ugh. Sorry. Switchdoctor.net

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 pm

cestan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm
Ugh. Sorry. Switchdoctor.net
Good site but don't see a chevrolet corsica

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm

pics some of the pics are not the best
http://i.imgur.com/rpOwDc4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zzMixrB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y9xADPf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PiieKqT.jpg

The black and the brown wires in the middle seem to be thicker than the others.
Last edited by rec7 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simplextableau

Post by simplextableau » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Have you tried car-part.com? I see a few on there.

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:19 pm

rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm
pics some of the pics are not the best
http://i.imgur.com/rpOwDc4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zzMixrB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y9xADPf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PiieKqT.jpg

The black and the brown wires in the middle seem to be thicker than the others.
Hi, look on car-part.com - it searches across from junkyards from all over the country. I just did a quick search and found dozens available. Have someone ship it to you. Good luck, glad to see you are still keeping the Corsica going!

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks everybody.

Post by 123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Check the website for Dorman products (www.dormanproducts.com) Dorman is an OEM that makes a number of automotive electrical componensts, including power window switches. I think Dorman makes the products but they are branded as Chevy, GM, Toyota etc. In many cases a replacement switch will be available from Dorman directly when the vehicle manufacturer no longer carries it. It's possible the same switch is also used in a vehicle you never even considered. So a replacement could be available from Dorman an an identical replacement, the only difference being the branding/labeling. The big auto manufacturers don't make a lot of parts themselves but buy them off the shelf, more-or-less.

You may even be able to find a match based on the GM OEM part number.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 am

Are you sure it's the switch and not the motor/servo?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 am

rec7 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am
livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 am
rec7 wrote:

There is usually just one connector for all the windows on the cars I've seen, and that's why I suggested swapping downstream a bit once you are sure of the problem. If you break the connector you'd have another problem.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 am

The most common cause of the window not working anymore is a broken wire in the bundle that goes from the car to the door. Replacing the switch might do absolutely nothing. Window regulators are another common failure point in GMs.

The first thing to check is if there are any fuses related to power windows. If so, find and test any related fuses with an ohm meter. Don't just look at it and call it good.

If the switch is easily removed, you can short power to either up or down wire and see what happens. If nothing, rule the switch out. Now you'd have to remove the door panel. Test the regulator for power when pressing the switch. If you get power, the regulator is likely toast. If not, you have a broken wire.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Ended up swapping the wires. It works like a charm. It is a little tight working on it because car wiring does not have much slack in it. I ended up adding about 4 inches of wire to two of them to make it easier. Prayed about it and it went well. Used a multi meter to find the hot and ground wires. They are the thicker wires in the picture if you look close.
Last edited by rec7 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I like it. :beer

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:19 pm

rec7 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm
Ended up swapping the wires. It works like a charm. It is a little tight working on it because car wiring does not have much slack in it. I ended up adding about 4 inches of wire to two of them to make it easier. Prayed about it and it went well. Used a multi meter to find the hot and ground wires. They are the thicker wires in the picture if you look close.
Well done! My son's car has this goofy electrical gremlin that shuts off the interior dome light every time he turns on the right blinker. Let me know if you want to tackle that one next...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm

^^^ I'll do you one better. My husband had an after-market stereo installed in his 2015 Mustang GT. Whenever he turned the car off, the right parking light would remain on - regardless. It didn't turn off until we physically pulled the fuse to the power amp. It turned out to be a ground-loop that got fixed by inserting a diode in the amp's +12V power supply feed. (That was an 80 A fuse, BTW.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.