Your Movie Collection?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alexa9

Your Movie Collection?

Post by Alexa9 »

We have a pretty good DVD collection and then BluRay comes out. Now there's 4K BluRay. There's also Amazon, Apple, Google, Netflix, Cable, etc. So many choices. Not sure of the legality, but many people rip their movies and store them all conveniently on their computer (hopefully that they have record of purchasing). What is your method?

There are only a handful of movies that I actually watch over and over so I don't mind buying them again on BluRay, Amazon HD Streaming, etc. Amazon conveniently lets you download movies to watch offline on the airplane. Our local library has a huge collection of DVD's and decent collection of BluRays too.

Some players offer upscaling to HD and even 4K I believe now too.
Jazztonight

Re: Your Movie Collection?

Post by Jazztonight »

I own 3 movies:

1. Das Boot (DVD)
2. Groundhog Day (DVD)
3. 101 Dalmatians (the original animated version; in VHS)

I've watched Groundhog Day many times, but Das Boot is still my favorite film.

I haven't watched 101 Dalmatians in years, but it's still a classic.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Handbrake.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Jazztonight wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am I own 3 movies:

1. Das Boot (DVD)
2. Groundhog Day (DVD)
3. 101 Dalmatians (the original animated version; in VHS)

I've watched Groundhog Day many times, but Das Boot is still my favorite film.

I haven't watched 101 Dalmatians in years, but it's still a classic.
I find that hilarious!

Also love Das Boot.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We own a good collection of DVDs, use Netflix for movies and TV, sometimes rent movies from Amazon, and use movies from Amazon Prime.

Favorite movies we own on DVD include:
To Catch a Thief
When Harry Met Sally
You've Got Mail
A Christmas Story
To Kill A Mockingbird
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Topper Returns
Chicago
Mama Mia
Singing in the Rain
Moon Over Miami
Silver Streak
North by Northwest
Rear Window
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
41Fin

Post by 41Fin »

With all the streaming options there is no need for me to keep DVDs.

DVDs,CDs and books(if you e read) are becoming items that take up space until you have the "do I throw this away or bring it with me" conversation when you are moving.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

aristotelian wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 am Handbrake.
Bingo.

Besides Dvd's, i rent and purchase from Apple
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Occasionally I'll watch a movie I saw before, but I've no idea what people do with massive collection of DVD's. Can't think of any so good that I would buy the disc!
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I gave away my moderately sized DVD collection a couple of years ago.

Still have a decent amount of Blu-Ray movies but it's cumbersome to hook up my PS3 to play them.

All of my films now are on iTunes, I pay full price for Disney and Pixar films (they seldom go on sale), everything else I wait till they drop down to $5 or $10.

Primary benefits for me is that they are downloadable or streamable across all my Apple devices and it looks like iTunes is getting ready to upgrade most of the digital purchases to 4K for the next generation of Apple TV so it'll save me the hassle of repurchasing my core collection… some films I've repurchased 3 times now.

Also have access to Netflix, HBO GO and Amazon Prime for streaming.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Like my music CDs. I used to have hundreds. Now they are on a flash drive and backed up to Google music. The CDs are in a landfill. Ditto books donated to the library and now have 1 bookshelf with 3 shelves half empty. Movie DVDs? Gone.
Last edited by Good Listener on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I do not collect CDs or DVDs or Cassettes or VHS anymore. I have less than 20 books now. No collections.

We have a family Apple Music subscription and never need to buy any music. For 6 people it costs the price of 1 CD per month.

If we want to watch a specific movie and it is not on Netflix or Prime, we rent it online. It does happen from time to time. If we want to own a movie we buy it on Amazon. Then we have it forever in the cloud.

At one point I had hundreds of cassettes, dozens of 45s, hundreds of CDs, dozens of DVD, totes of books. I am happy to be free of them. :beer

I do still have a hard drive with a bunch of MP3 and WMA CDS and singles. Even that is not needed. I keep it because it fits on a small USB 1 TB drive.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

All my movies are free from my Public Library.
All the Best, | Joe
corner559

Post by corner559 »

These days having a DVD is pointless since everything can now be streamed. Physical DVDs just take up space.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

We own and buy quite a few blu-rays and a tiny number of legacy DVDs. (At this point, the video quality of DVD content is so poor--720x480 at best--that there is no point in watching them if there is any alternative.)

As soon as I get a new blu-ray movie or TV show, I back up the movie or TV episode using MakeMKV, preserving all of the language and subtitle tracks I'm interested in, and encode the movie with Handbrake down to a manageable size. For the last two years, I've used the h.265 codec, Before that, I used h.264. H.265 results in a major size reduction at the same quality level. We keep the blu-rays, because otherwise we would no longer own the movie, but except for a few boxed sets that we keep on display, the blu-ray disk goes into a box.

The encoding takes a long time, typically 9+ hours for a movie on a PC with a i7-4770K (a four year old CPU), but it is a one and done event.

The video files go onto a 9TB RAID 5 storage unit connected to a computer running Plex Media Server. The video library is also mirrored to drives connected to another computer running Plex Media Server. (The entire library is also automatically backed up to CrashPlan in realtime for $65/year. We have gigabit fiber Internet service, so a cloud backup of 9TB is feasible. Our regular computer drives are backed up there as well.)

We can watch our shows both at home and remotely using a Plex app available on almost any electronic device. We can also watch through a web client. The apps also support downloading for offline viewing. Plex also includes a DVR for local TV, so with an attached digital antenna and tuner, we can record our local stations and watch them live anywhere with an Internet connection. And it all comes with no monthly fees other than our Internet service. (I purchased a lifetime Plex Pass in its early days for cheap; otherwise some of the advanced Plex features would have a small monthly fee.)

We have one 4K TV, but the only 4K content we have at this point is streaming Netflix and Amazon. We will eventually get a 4K blu-ray player (probably an upgraded XBox), but as of yet, it is not possible to make backup copies of those.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I buy a ton of movies. Mostly in the $10 and under bins at Walmart.

DVDs:
1 - I rip the DVD with Handbrake. It will create a much smaller file with excellent quality.
2 - For each file I create a text file with a similar name but a .nfo extension. The only text in the file is a single line with the location of that movie at IMDB.com.
ie:

Code: Select all

Movie:             The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
handbrake filename:The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.mkv
textfile name:     The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.nfo
textfile contents: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060196/
For BluRays there's a step zero (before ripping the files with handbrake)
0 - Rip the movie off the blueray with makemkv (http://www.makemkv.com/). The file created is huge and this huge file I open in handbrake.

I keep all the files in a folder and Point to it with Kodi (https://kodi.tv/about). That way I can watch all the movies on the computer.

It worked so well that I bought a cheap computer that I hooked up to the TV and play the movies off the network. I use my phone as a remote control.

All entirely free and entirely legal.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

mmcmonster wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am All entirely free and entirely legal.
I'm not sure Kodi falls into the "entirely free and entirely legal category. You own the physical DVD for all your movies? Never rented a movie and made a copy? :wink: Even if an audit was done? :wink:

With all the movies and TV available, I just don't have the time to watch the same movies over and over. If I see a movie in the theater, sometimes will will re-watch it at home. I recently did this with Star Wars: Rogue One.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

aristotelian wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 am Handbrake.
+1. Handbrake rips to a local drive, then Plex Server serves them out to my Roku box.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

joe8d wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm All my movies are free from my Public Library.
+1
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

bloom2708 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 am
mmcmonster wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am All entirely free and entirely legal.
I'm not sure Kodi falls into the "entirely free and entirely legal category. You own the physical DVD for all your movies? Never rented a movie and made a copy? :wink: Even if an audit was done? :wink:

With all the movies and TV available, I just don't have the time to watch the same movies over and over. If I see a movie in the theater, sometimes will will re-watch it at home. I recently did this with Star Wars: Rogue One.
Even if you own the DVD ripping is not exactly legal. That said, I am a big fan of Handbrake and Kodi.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

bloom2708 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 am
Kodi is entirely legal. It just plays media. You can get add-ons for Kodi which are entirely illegal (generally to stream copyright works). Just like a web browser is legal but you can go to websites which are entirely illegal.

As for ripping movies, it has the same legality as ripping music off CDs to play on a portable music player. It's legal so long as you are doing it for personal use (ie: not as an owner of a sports bar). Presumably you could be audited, but realistically it won't happen. (The actually video ripping itself is entirely legal. There are companies out there that made their name with software just to do this.)

You get into trouble for sharing movies with people you don't know (which is almost certainly going to break copyright law).
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

minesweep wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am
joe8d wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm All my movies are free from my Public Library.
+1
This is mostly what we do as well. We do have a Blu-Ray player and it does upscale regular DVDs and does a pretty good job. I have a pretty hard time telling the difference although for big visual movies like Avatar or The Force Awakens, it's worth getting a Blu-Ray copy from RedBox.

I do stream content to the TV from YouTube and some of the HD videos are breathtaking...
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

No Blue Ray player; still tons of VHS that I pledged to watch one more time and trash - yet to happen
Library yes; DVR recordings yeah, got a few; Turner Classic Movies, watch all the times (also record a bunch).
Miss the old Bravo channel which ran Ingmar Bergman and Truffaut and Bunuel and Goddard and Kurosawa and Fellini all commercial free and unedited. Same with the original AMC channel.
Between my books and on demand and DVR and my public library list of must read and must see, I need to negotiate an extra ten year life extension to cover them all this time around...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

On DVD:
Most of the Studio Ghibli movies (not available streaming)
Box set of BTVS (streaming versions are edited)
A bunch of BBC mini-series (ditto)

Other movies are a combination of DVD's and streaming via Amazon, depending on what's cheaper.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I buy a physical version if I intend to watch it often and it's not available on streaming. Even if it's available currently on streaming that is no guarantee it will be in the future.

I buy blu-rays if available but many of the oddball things we enjoy are only available on DVD, so we do have a larger number of those still.

Considering that I haven't bought a physical cd in probably over a decade I'm not really sure why I keep buying physical movies.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 pm Considering that I haven't bought a physical cd in probably over a decade I'm not really sure why I keep buying physical movies.
I do occasionally. Often it is the cheapest way to buy an album. Often, an album will be $7.99-9.99 on iTunes or for the MP3 album on Amazon, but will cost $4.39 for the physical CD--which then comes with a free download of the MP3 album. :oops: (I can then load the MP3s into iTunes, where Apple will match the tracks and give me credit for owning them. I usually don't even unwrap the CD.)

If we switched to a purely streaming service, we could dispense with the albums, but I listen to a lot of French music that is not available on streaming services in the U.S.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

No need to own the movies. Waste of valuable apartment space and frankly I am tired of throwing away old crap knowing it just end up in a landfill someday, even if I donate it this time. How often would I watch an old movie anyway? Once or twice and then what?

Whenever I want to watch an old favorite, there are plenty of places. Amazon Prime video is extensive and included in the annual price of Prime. Anything else costs $3 tops. My local library is another place to get free movies. Youtube has plenty of old movies that cost nothing to watch.

"Possessions are the boat anchor of life".

Now, back to searching for investing related topics..
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

I do physical copy only. No Netflix or other streaming. But we do have hundreds of DVDs and Blu-ray discs, comprised of movies and TV series. I see a lot of people complaining about space. But they all fit in two of these: https://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Sto ... B00063E2FU. We take them all out of their cases and put them in CD sleeves. One hundred discs can easily fit in one of those boxes. Our Blu-ray player can also play DVDs, so it doesn't take up that much space in the entertainment center. The physical size of the movie collection is dwarfed by the size of the video game collection - consoles, controllers, cartridges, and discs start adding up.

I have fond memories of going through a shelf of movies (then VHS) with my siblings, trying to pick out something to watch. I want my kid(s) to have the same experience.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No movie discs in the house.
Stream everything.
Less to keep track of. :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

If you are just looking for something to watch, then the streaming services and public library will suffice. They don't work as well if you want to watch a specific film, which may not be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime (or for which Amazon charges a $4.99 rental fee).

I love my library and borrow a lot of books and videos, but I was reminded last night of its limitations. I had borrowed a classic French film, Le Trou, and we were enjoying it until Chapter 9, when the disc froze.

The same is true of books. There's arguably not a big difference between buying the latest bestseller as a book or a download, but there are so many books to read that aren't downloadable and likely never will be.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am We have a pretty good DVD collection and then BluRay comes out. Now there's 4K BluRay. There's also Amazon, Apple, Google, Netflix, Cable, etc. So many choices. Not sure of the legality, but many people rip their movies and store them all conveniently on their computer (hopefully that they have record of purchasing). What is your method?

There are only a handful of movies that I actually watch over and over so I don't mind buying them again on BluRay, Amazon HD Streaming, etc. Amazon conveniently lets you download movies to watch offline on the airplane. Our local library has a huge collection of DVD's and decent collection of BluRays too.

Some players offer upscaling to HD and even 4K I believe now too.
Not going to be in the 4K game until my HDTV breaks, and it's rather new.

There are few movies I care to watch many times, but I have those on Blu Ray + iTunes.

Otherwise, our collection is for the kids and Disney has an excellent "Anywhere" service where they can be streamed on just about any platform with 1 purchase. Excellent. Our primary service, though, is iTunes via the Apple TV.
telemark

Post by telemark »

My collection is small and the choices mostly fall into two categories: impulse buys at the bargain bin, many of them still in the original wrapping (but hey, you don't see Dr. Phibes on sale every day) and obscure movies that I track down and purchase online. I paid an embarassing amount for Saura's Flamenco trilogy but I really wanted to watch El Amor Brujo again. I've experimented with using Handbrake and also just copying the whole disc with dd, but mostly I just put the disc into an external drive and watch it that way.
anonenigma wrote:I love my library and borrow a lot of books and videos, but I was reminded last night of its limitations. I had borrowed a classic French film, Le Trou, and we were enjoying it until Chapter 9, when the disc froze.
At that point I would feel justified in copying it to a hard drive. Often the computer drive will be able to read the data when a DVD player will fail.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I generally only buy media for the extras, like the making-of featurettes, and sometimes the commentary.
I only upgrade from one tech to another if it's a film that I will watch multiple times -- and if there are more extras..
West Side Story (VHS -> DVD -> Blu-ray 50 year anniversary special)
Princess Bride (DVD -> Blu-ray anniversary special)
Oh, and I upgraded the musical Scrooge from VHS to DVD because I like to watch it each year while I'm baking cookies and don't want to have to fiddle with the VHS player. (Yes, I can still play VHS.)

Much of what I have is animated stuff.
Neat thing about Blu-ray: They are more likely to have foreign language audio tracks. Watching a film you enjoy in another language (no sub-titles) is a fun way to practice your language skills. Princess Bride is great in French.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

DVDs of
1. The Simpsons Movie (2007)
2. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-Ray, 1963)
3. The T.A.M.I. Show (1964)
4. The N.M.E. (New Musical Express) Awards (1964,1965,1966)

Using an Oppo 105D.
Tex1234

Post by Tex1234 »

We donated most of our DVDs to the library so if we ever happen to want to watch them again we can just borrow then.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Tex1234 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm We donated most of our DVDs to the library so if we ever happen to want to watch them again we can just borrow then.
Maybe. Maybe not. Often, items that are donated to libraries go to the entity (Friends of ...?) that sells books, etc to raise funds for the library. Collection Development may go through donations to see if there is anything they want to pull out, but you can't count on it.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

There are a bunch of niche things that are not available by streaming as far as I know.
For instance, there is a Time life collection of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shows.

There are old vintage things like Shindig and Hullabaloo and the Midnight Special series or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or ABC In Concert.
There are rare concerts. There are Alternate Version things.

They are only on disc and you have to buy them from special providers or sometimes via Ebay or Amazon or places like CD Universe. You won't find them in libraries or on any online service. There are pretty large volumes of these things.

I don't know where you could find things like The Kids in the Hall or It's Garry Shandling's Show or The Prisoner except on disc. (And there is extra material with these.)

I mention this because, if these kinds of things spark your interest, you can seek them out on Google. Many people don't even know they exist.
sesq

Post by sesq »

I was going to say it hasn't been added to in years but then I remembered we get the kids new movies at christmas. We take long car trips to visit family and have dvd players in the car for them. We make them agree on a movie which can sometimes take a long time. They are starting to watch some of my old movies like Star Wars which is a big improvement on some of their kid's movies. They loved some "Hello Kitty" dvd that had terrible writing and a voice actor with a screaching voice.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

corner559 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 am These days having a DVD is pointless since everything can now be streamed.
Not everything. Not even close.

Some movies are out on DVD before they're available for streaming. Others never wind up on streaming in the first place. Still others are on streaming for a period of time, then get unceremoniously yanked out of availability. (This is particularly annoying when it's a TV series you're only partly through at the time... I'm talking to you, The X Files! :oops: )

Here are a few movies I've watched on DVD lately that I wasn't able to get on Amazon Prime or Netflix streaming at the time:
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • La La Land
  • Hidden Figures
  • The Lego Batman Movie
  • Arrival
  • Brooklyn
  • Moon
  • The Lives of Others
Streaming video services are great for when you just want to watch something, but aren't too super-choosy about what. Same with music streaming--great when you want some music on of some sort.

But if you are a movie buff who specifically wants to see a particular movie (or at least reserve the right to see at any time the mood strikes), or if you are a music buff who really wants to hear a certain, specific album, then streaming services aren't there yet. Still too hit-and-miss.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 am I don't know where you could find things like The Kids in the Hall or It's Garry Shandling's Show or The Prisoner except on disc. (And there is extra material with these.)
Yep, we have a lot of series/films we like that are not currently available on streaming, in fact I just ordered my husband's gift of "Space Ghost Coast to Coast". We love MST3K and only recently has a lot of it become available on streaming services, we bought the DVD sets before then.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Those are pretty neat titles. Thanks and good luck and I hope he likes it. The best things are usually the hardest to get.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 pm I buy a physical version if I intend to watch it often and it's not available on streaming. Even if it's available currently on streaming that is no guarantee it will be in the future.
Exactly why I keep my movie disks.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

We have a small collection of DVD's and some Blurays but we rarely buy these days and mostly just stream. The only movie I can recall purchasing on disc the past several years is The Force Awakens.

In order to purchase, we have to absolutely LOVE the movie and it has to be re-watchable many times. Additionally, whether or not the image quality is important to us plays a part as streaming quite often involves significantly more lossy compression than Bluray and some scenes may suffer more from compression due to the content. Availability also plays a part. If it's trickier to find or if a specific version/release we want is not commonly available then we're more likely to purchase.
Alexa9 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am Some players offer upscaling to HD and even 4K I believe now too.
It's not the same thing. If the data isn't there you can't create it out of thin air. Upscaling can provide a slight edge over not upscaling but it's not the same as having the content at higher resolution.
Ninnie wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm Most of the Studio Ghibli movies (not available streaming)
This would be an example for us. We have a DVD box set but will replace at some point with Bluray -- i.e. when Amazon drops down to the $180 range again.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I just had another defective dvd from the library - Cesar, the third film of Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy, aka The Marseille Trilogy. The library has a machine it uses to buff dvds, and sometimes this takes care of scratches if not too severe. Hopefully the machine will prevail, and I'll be able to see the film within a couple of weeks.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

anonenigma wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm I just had another defective dvd from the library - Cesar, the third film of Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy, aka The Marseille Trilogy. The library has a machine it uses to buff dvds, and sometimes this takes care of scratches if not too severe. Hopefully the machine will prevail, and I'll be able to see the film within a couple of weeks.
That's not the Daniel Auteuil version, is it? I can't find that the 3rd in his version of Pagnol's trilogy ever got made. I watched Fanny and Marius on Netflix.