Cheapest way to upgrade iPhones ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sixtyforty

Cheapest way to upgrade iPhones ?

Post by sixtyforty »

We are currently with AT&T and have two iPhone 5 looking to upgrade. I haven't looked at costs in a while, but gosh $650 for a phone nowadays is a bit crazy. I know the phones do alot, but I'd rather not have to pay ( $650 or 25/month ) x 2 for two phones ! Is that what we are stuck with nowadays ? Are there cheaper alternatives ?
Last edited by sixtyforty on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Eric76

Re: Cheapest way to upgrade iPhones ?

Post by Eric76 »

I order refurbished phones for my wife and me through eBay. Never had an issue. Paid $360 for a 64GB 6s a few weeks ago.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Eric 76 is right. There are plenty of phones avail on ebay at reasonable prices. They're usually a model or two out of date; & surplus to original supplier requirement, but still new. I bought my wife a new i6 few months ago for $389. No tax + free shipping.
Got my own new S5 last year for $220. Works like a charm.
Do some research; lots of bargains out there.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

While you're at it, consider shopping for your plan too.
Thanks to this board, we switched from ATT to Consumer Cellular and don't regret it.
Cut monthly bills by 25% for near identical coverage (CC works off ATT towers).
And got our 5S for $160.
kg7

Post by kg7 »

I would recommend the iPhone SE 64GB. The SE model has the same hardware as the 6S, in the body of a 5S, which I like. Check craigslist in your area, people are always looking to score the latest and greatest, that's your best bet to capitalize on their losses while getting the best bang for your buck.

Apple quietly discontinued the 16GB and 64GB iPhone SE models and replaced them with 32GB and 128GB versions for nearly the same prices as the previous models. That pretty much meant that the 64 GB SE instantly became half the price of the new 128GB SE, which is now $500.

I jumped on craigslist the day after and found a great deal on a 64GB SE. They wanted $350. I told them I wouldn't pay $350 because I could go get the new SE 128GB for $500. I was only prepared to pay $200 for a phone with little to no warranty left, but the one being offered was flawless (one month old), unused, 11 months warranty remaining, box, all accessories (earbuds, charger, and adapter) still sealed, and a receipt. Ended up paying $250 for it.

FYI: I was previously on the iPhone 4S 16GB that I got new for $100 through the 2 year contract promotion at ATT in 2012. Great and cheap price point for me. It served 5 good years, kept it until May 2017, until I got SE 64GB. Switched to T-Mobile 3 years ago for 2 lines, all unlimited, $100/mo (inlc. taxes). Used to pay $180/mo with taxes for the same service at ATT.

Good luck!
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Following!

I miss the $199 iPhone upgrade every 2 years and re-selling my old phone for $150 on Craigslist.
Topic Author
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Eric76 wrote:I order refurbished phones for my wife and me through eBay. Never had an issue. Paid $360 for a 64GB 6s a few weeks ago.
Is it just a matter of switching out the SIM card ? How is the cell number provisioned in the new phone ? How did you transfer all the data (if not in the cloud) ? Any advantage to going unlocked ?

Apologize for all the questions.. but this is really a great option I hadn't thought about.. !
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you can wait until Black Friday, there are usually good deals to be had.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

AT&T seems to have a deal that you can get two iPhone 7s for the price of one. Check at a AT&T store to make sure:
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devic ... hones.html#
Best Wishes, | Joe
gl

Post by gl »

i'm currently debating about the vm deal for new iphone se & 1 yr service for about $280 -- deal extended to end of month. https://www.virginmobileusa.com/newsroo ... tail2.html
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Glyde is a great place to buy used devices. I'm with Verizon and if you watch for promotions you can often get new phones for much less than retail, for example I'm getting my iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB for $360 less ($15 a month less) than normal because I purchased it just before Christmas last year so essentially I got a new phone for the price of a used one. I also got an iPhone 7 (standard) for $300 less than normal using the same technique. Watch BestBuy and other phone retailers, they often offer the phones for lower prices than the carriers do.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

gl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am i'm currently debating about the vm deal for new iphone se & 1 yr service for about $280 -- deal extended to end of month. https://www.virginmobileusa.com/newsroo ... tail2.html
Great deal for sprint service.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Iphones have always been $600+ for the latest. Att just hid the cost in your monthly contract. Wise up and go prepaid - cricket or h20 or even att prepaid. What you save will more than cover the cost of the latest phone.

Cricket also has discounted phones eg the iphone se 64gb for $240 or an iphine 6 for $300.
keaton

Post by keaton »

ddurrett896 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am Following!

I miss the $199 iPhone upgrade every 2 years and re-selling my old phone for $150 on Craigslist.
Not me!! That was the most expensive option, thus why it has gone away, people got smart..
Topic Author
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

JMacDonald wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 am AT&T seems to have a deal that you can get two iPhone 7s for the price of one. Check at a AT&T store to make sure:
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devic ... hones.html#
You have to sign up for extra services. Imagine that :)
kramer

Post by kramer »

The Samsung Galaxy S8, released only about 3 or 4 months ago, is on sale nationally now for $575 due to the impending release of the Samsung Note 8. That is a great value for a state of the art and well reviewed flagship phone. In fact, I think it might foreshadow a trend of lower prices in the future for smartphones.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

If you're okay staying a generation behind the latest, then swappa.com will allow you to purchase good-quality used phones at a fraction of list price.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
drk

Post by drk »

You can buy refurbished iPhones from Apple and take advantage of their installment plan with no interest.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
FraggleRock

Not cheapest, but good

Post by FraggleRock »

https://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/iphone-se-16gb-at-t
$228 for AT&T version of used iPhone SE

Gazelle has an excellent reputation.

They will buy your iPhones 5 for $30.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I don't, the monthly plans were a lot higher as you were already paying for that discounted upgrade.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

cricket's 5 lines for $100 is tough to beat
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Switch to an MVNO, don't pay more than $35/mo for service, and then you can buy your phone with Apple's iPhone upgrade plan for $32/mo. You'll get your new phone and you won't need to pay anymore than you're paying with service directly from AT&T.
Eric76

Post by Eric76 »

sixtyforty wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:22 am
Eric76 wrote:I order refurbished phones for my wife and me through eBay. Never had an issue. Paid $360 for a 64GB 6s a few weeks ago.
Is it just a matter of switching out the SIM card ? How is the cell number provisioned in the new phone ? How did you transfer all the data (if not in the cloud) ? Any advantage to going unlocked ?

Apologize for all the questions.. but this is really a great option I hadn't thought about.. !
I bring the sim card from the old phone to the ATT store with the new phone and have them do the work!
emoore

Post by emoore »

angelescrest wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:37 pm

I don't, the monthly plans were a lot higher as you were already paying for that discounted upgrade.
+1. I'd rather get a cheaper plan for holding onto my phone for over 2 years than to pay more all the time.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

If you want to keep the same iPhone 5 form factor, there are lots of deals for iPhone SE versions with MVNOs. New phones are $170 to $230 as I remember, depending on capacity. Most have a 6 month wait for unlocking.
Nothing to say, really.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

+1 for the iPhone SE.
clown

Post by clown »

Before jumping ship from AT&T, be aware that you will lose some services available only to AT&T brand clients. Wi-fi calling is an example. AT&T brand SIM chips allow phones to call on wi-fi. AT&T Reseller (technically MVNO companies) SIM chips do NOT allow wi-fi calling. If you need that particular functionality, the resellers are out of contention. In our new apartment building, the building materials are so insulated that nobody's cell signal gets through -- so wi-fi is a must.

Please note I a not an AT&T employee. Just a guy who learned the hard way.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Cricket has new iPhone 6 32gb for $299.

I think the 6s is a better phone. 7 dropped the headphone jack which is interesting.

Swappa.com is a place I monitor.
macheta

Post by macheta »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm Cricket has new iPhone 6 32gb for $299.

I think the 6s is a better phone. 7 dropped the headphone jack which is interesting.

229 for the SE or 299 for the 6.The virgin mobile is a better deal though by about a three hundred bucks if you compare prices including the service of the phone looking at two years. The reason why I kept Cricket is because Virgin/sprint has really bad reputation in Phoenix AZ. They came to the 4g market very slow and the spread of 4g service is still very light.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

macheta wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 am
bloom2708 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm Cricket has new iPhone 6 32gb for $299.

229 for the SE or 299 for the 6.The virgin mobile is a better deal though by about a three hundred bucks if you compare prices including the service of the phone looking at two years. The reason why I kept Cricket is because Virgin/sprint has really bad reputation in Phoenix AZ. They came to the 4g market very slow and the spread of 4g service is still very light.
I do not consider Sprint and T-Mobile plans. Coverage is too poor. So not a better deal.

The SE a Total Wireless is probably the best deal if you want the small SE.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

bloom2708 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 am

I do not consider Sprint and T-Mobile plans. Coverage is too poor. So not a better deal.

This is very YMMV. Around here T-mobile data speed & coverage is better than Verizon or AT&T. Voice is worse, but I rarely talk on my phone any more.
NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad »

Some great suggestions here. If you can hang on just a little longer, wait until the next iPhone release expected sometime this fall. A lot of people will upgrade, and there should be an even greater supply of used phones after that happens.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

NorCalDad wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 am Some great suggestions here. If you can hang on just a little longer, wait until the next iPhone release expected sometime this fall. A lot of people will upgrade, and there should be an even greater supply of used phones after that happens.
And if you can manage it, sell your current phones before the next one comes out and they depreciate a little more. I know one person who just uses a very cheap flip phone for a few weeks to bridge the gap.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

kramer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 pm The Samsung Galaxy S8, released only about 3 or 4 months ago, is on sale nationally now for $575 due to the impending release of the Samsung Note 8. That is a great value for a state of the art and well reviewed flagship phone. In fact, I think it might foreshadow a trend of lower prices in the future for smartphones.
Completely agree. I got an S8 when it launched and I don't think I will ever own another IPhone. However, my experience is that most IPhone users are not willing to try something different, or that Apple makes switching costs high enough to discourage people from leaving their environment.
Constant Chaos

Post by Constant Chaos »

Agree, $159 for a brand new SE and the Verizon coverage is great!
macheta

Post by macheta »

Cricket is part of the AT&T Network. T-Mobile is ok where I am located.
ShoogyBee

Post by ShoogyBee »

OP, if you're already with AT&T, at Best Buy right now you can get an iPhone SE (32 GB) for $149 or an iPhone 6 (32 GB) for $199. They are for AT&T Prepaid use but you can just take your current AT&T SIM card and insert it into one of the above phones. I believe it should work.

BTW brick and mortar stores may have higher pricing, so be sure to order online and have the phone shipped to your home, or do in-person store pick-up if your local BB has it in stock.

iPhone SE (32 GB)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepa ... /5792701.p

iPhone 6 (32 GB)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepa ... /5838550.p

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog »

Another happy Swappa user here; they check the IMEI (serial numbers) to make sure the phone hasn't been tampered with, they have an average price tool for the model you are interested in for historical trending, and their business model (a flat $10 per phone) makes it transparent in selling or buying how much the 'overhead' is. Saving a lot of time over CL and eBay, lots of shady people selling these things for sure among the honest people.

I've probably purchased 3 iPhones for family members this way, and have sold one or two, no issues whatsoever.

Also the Cricket 5 lines for $100 you cannot beat. (Basically, you go up to $80 for three lines, and with the fourth at $20/mo you get the fifth free of charge.) And with 4GB of data/month, it's plenty for most uses, and the service is AT&T's. Not sure why anyone would do a post-paid plan.