Buying a used Tesla

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

Buying a used Tesla

Post by Buster65 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Does anybody have any experience with purchasing a used Tesla? I'd also like to hear from Tesla owners. Pros and cons of their car.

Dream24

Re: Buying a used Tesla

Post by Dream24 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Great great great car. Company, & innovator in Elon Musk. I bought a 2 yr old , low miles, CPO Model S. Telsa service is amazing. I did a lot of research before buying. The best site to search for CPO (cert preowned) Telsa's is the http://www.ev-cpo.com site (not the Tesla site, not great search filters)). The EV CPO site links back to Telsa's site but the EV CPO site has many more filters to search what type of Telsa you want. The other big appeal for me, was any CPO bought from a Tesla dealership comes with a 4yr/50k mile full warranty. You are basically getting a new car warranty on the used car.

Quite simply it's the best driving car I've ever had, & the cars tech is amazing!. Tesla community is strong on social media sites if you choose to connect with other Tesla owners in your area , which is quite helpful.

I also love I'm part of the green movement atleast.

I'm a very humble, low key person, and purely bought the car because I'm a tech geek, and it's incredible to drive, but be prepared to get a lot of looks, & ?s about how the car works & drives, so that took a while getting used to people flagging you down in traffic to ask ?s about how it drives. I take it as a great opportunity to advocate for electric vehicles.

Main drawback is these are expensive cars comparatively (admittedly not a very Bogleheads thing to do, but I figure I could treat myself here, as I take saving & investing seriously and all my friends constantly joke how frugal I am otherwise). Telsa just released the Model 3 the more economical, mass market version, so I imagine in a few years when the first of those start showing up in used car inventory, it will be an incredible deal, but I really love my Model S and as long as I'm financially able without sacrificing my investment/savings goals, I'll be a Tesla owner for life!!!

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Dream24 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm
Great great great car. Company, & innovator in Elon Musk. I bought a 2 yr old , low miles, CPO Model S. Telsa service is amazing. I did a lot of research before buying. The best site to search for CPO (cert preowned) Telsa's is the http://www.ev-cpo.com site (not the Tesla site, not great search filters)). The EV CPO site links back to Telsa's site but the EV CPO site has many more filters to search what type of Telsa you want. The other big appeal for me, was any CPO bought from a Tesla dealership comes with a 4yr/50k mile full warranty. You are basically getting a new car warranty on the used car.

Quite simply it's the best driving car I've ever had, & the cars tech is amazing!. Tesla community is strong on social media sites if you choose to connect with other Tesla owners in your area , which is quite helpful.

I also love I'm part of the green movement atleast.

I'm a very humble, low key person, and purely bought the car because I'm a tech geek, and it's incredible to drive, but be prepared to get a lot of looks, & ?s about how the car works & drives, so that took a while getting used to people flagging you down in traffic to ask ?s about how it drives. I take it as a great opportunity to advocate for electric vehicles.

Main drawback is these are expensive cars comparatively (admittedly not a very Bogleheads thing to do, but I figure I could treat myself here, as I take saving & investing seriously and all my friends constantly joke how frugal I am otherwise). Telsa just released the Model 3 the more economical, mass market version, so I imagine in a few years when the first of those start showing up in used car inventory, it will be an incredible deal, but I really love my Model S and as long as I'm financially able without sacrificing my investment/savings goals, I'll be a Tesla owner for life!!!
Used model s seems to go for 45k for low end

It's no 5k beater, but it atleast doesn't have fuel costs that are appreciable
IT-DevOps System Administrator

pjohnson

Post by pjohnson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 am

I've heard great things, and I also read a study recently by autolist talking about the Model S's advantageous depreciation compared to other EV's and gas powered cars. You may want to check it out: https://www.autolist.com/tesla-model+s- ... n=news&s=a
Fred Lambert wrote about it a little while ago in electrek ... Hope that helps with your decision!

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 am

My family member owned one. All was great until a minor fender bender took 7 months to get parts. Make sure, before you buy, you search for tesla repairs on the forums.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am

Angelus359 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Used model s seems to go for 45k for low end

It's no 5k beater, but it atleast doesn't have fuel costs that are appreciable
It sounds pennies-wise and pound-foolish to me.

At $45k and 50k miles, a used Tesla Model S is still incredibly expensive compared to other cars. "But at least I save on gas" rationalization does not work.

This works for those who are in love with Tesla car:

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am

Only a 50% depreciation after 100k miles - that is NOT bad my friend! I would totally do it if i was in the market for a new car. Chicago is not the place for a Tesla though in my opinion.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Things worth checking: How much does electricity cost YOU. If you're looking for fuel cost savings, compare with cost of gas in your area. I did the Tesla site comparison and with no changes, it said I would save over $8 per 100 miles. I punched in my own electric rates (much higher than Tesla assumes) and gas price (lower than Tesla assumes) and ended up with an 80 cent per 100 mile saving. If you live right near a free supercharger, this could tilt the scale towards the Tesla. I don't live conveniently near one, however so would have to either run a long extension cord and steal electricity during the day or use 220V which I do have in my garage.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Whenever our family needs to replace our car in the next decade or so, I think we should consider a used Model 3. :happy
Pranav

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:12 pm

I've had my Model S for 2.5 years. I've been completely happy with it and had zero problems, in fact I have never personally been to a service center with it. It was very expensive and like all expensive cars it depreciates rapidly so it doesn't really mesh with the boglehead philosophy, but I figure I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, or womanize, so I am allowed one vice. I'm a gearhead going way back and definitely not an enviromentalist in the conventional sense of the word but you won't go back from an electric car, they're just better in so many ways, get a Volt/bolt/leaf if you can't/won't buy a Tesla.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:56 pm

And for vehicles whose in service date is before 1/5/2017, there is free, unlimited access to the network of superchargers.

There are some workarounds to get this even if you buy new after 1/5/2017, something about getting a referral from a Tesla owner
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:02 pm

sambb wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 am
My family member owned one. All was great until a minor fender bender took 7 months to get parts. Make sure, before you buy, you search for tesla repairs on the forums.

That's not the first time I have heard of extended delays in getting parts for Tesla servicing.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Buster65 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm
Does anybody have any experience with purchasing a used Tesla? I'd also like to hear from Tesla owners. Pros and cons of their car.

The Tesla community is still niche and there are a couple of forums that I have seen dedicated to the vehicle. I would recommend scoping one of those out for a month or two as I'm sure your question comes up, indirectly, at those places. You can get an idea of the bugs and servicing issues people have.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 pm

We're thinking of a used tesla, but getting cold feet because I'm reading more and more about slow superchargers.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:43 pm

I've had mine for 1.5 years. It's the best car I've ever owned. The only problems I've had were fit and finish issues, but I expected that going in as I was impatient and have car with a VIN 0002xx.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:02 pm
sambb wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 am

That's not the first time I have heard of extended delays in getting parts for Tesla servicing.
The owners I've talked to said that most "moving" parts were available for almost everything, but that body damage took forever to repair and get parts for.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:54 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm
The owners I've talked to said that most "moving" parts were available for almost everything, but that body damage took forever to repair and get parts for.

So, where do you take it for servicing if a part goes out? Is there a Tesla dealership in your area, or do you take it to an independent certified mechanic?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:54 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm

So, where do you take it for servicing if a part goes out? Is there a Tesla dealership in your area, or do you take it to an independent certified mechanic?
There are no dealerships proper (I.e., there are no franchises), but I take mine to a Tesla Service Center. One time they came and replaced a faulty door latch in my driveway. Once they dropped off a loaner and took my car in for service. Since I live close by, I usually just drive it in and either take a loaner or they will pay for an Uber to my house.

Since mine was a really early one, I had fit/finish issues at first. Now I think I'll just have tires exchanged (winter/summer) and annual maintenance.

Leif

Post by Leif » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:26 pm

I bought a new Model S in December.

I've had a few issues. Nothing major. Some bracket under the car broke causing a dragging sound at low speed. The driver side mirror would not always fully extend on startup. Panoramic roof did not always close the first time. I consider these all minor issues and they have all been fixed.

I would say for the price range the interior is a bit spartan. Some like it, some don't. I'm OK with it since they added the storage area between the driver and passenger.

All CPO should come with unlimited free supercharging. A nice perk.

Very quiet of course. Amazing acceleration, particularly at speed. Cool large screen with navigation and very good voice recognition.

I would look for a car with Autopilot. The older cars did not have that.

I would suggest on a CPO that you ask for the battery range at 90% and 100% charge. Some cars may have had higher then normal battery degradation.

CPO Warranty:
Under the program, the vehicles receive a full inspection and a four-year, 50,000 miles limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance on top of the remaining years/mileage of their battery and drivetrain warranty.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore