Buying a used Tesla

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

Buying a used Tesla

Post by Buster65 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Does anybody have any experience with purchasing a used Tesla? I'd also like to hear from Tesla owners. Pros and cons of their car.

Dream24

Re: Buying a used Tesla

Post by Dream24 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Great great great car. Company, & innovator in Elon Musk. I bought a 2 yr old , low miles, CPO Model S. Telsa service is amazing. I did a lot of research before buying. The best site to search for CPO (cert preowned) Telsa's is the http://www.ev-cpo.com site (not the Tesla site, not great search filters)). The EV CPO site links back to Telsa's site but the EV CPO site has many more filters to search what type of Telsa you want. The other big appeal for me, was any CPO bought from a Tesla dealership comes with a 4yr/50k mile full warranty. You are basically getting a new car warranty on the used car.

Quite simply it's the best driving car I've ever had, & the cars tech is amazing!. Tesla community is strong on social media sites if you choose to connect with other Tesla owners in your area , which is quite helpful.

I also love I'm part of the green movement atleast.

I'm a very humble, low key person, and purely bought the car because I'm a tech geek, and it's incredible to drive, but be prepared to get a lot of looks, & ?s about how the car works & drives, so that took a while getting used to people flagging you down in traffic to ask ?s about how it drives. I take it as a great opportunity to advocate for electric vehicles.

Main drawback is these are expensive cars comparatively (admittedly not a very Bogleheads thing to do, but I figure I could treat myself here, as I take saving & investing seriously and all my friends constantly joke how frugal I am otherwise). Telsa just released the Model 3 the more economical, mass market version, so I imagine in a few years when the first of those start showing up in used car inventory, it will be an incredible deal, but I really love my Model S and as long as I'm financially able without sacrificing my investment/savings goals, I'll be a Tesla owner for life!!!

Angelus359

Re: Buying a used Tesla

Post by Angelus359 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Dream24 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm
Great great great car. Company, & innovator in Elon Musk. I bought a 2 yr old , low miles, CPO Model S. Telsa service is amazing. I did a lot of research before buying. The best site to search for CPO (cert preowned) Telsa's is the http://www.ev-cpo.com site (not the Tesla site, not great search filters)). The EV CPO site links back to Telsa's site but the EV CPO site has many more filters to search what type of Telsa you want. The other big appeal for me, was any CPO bought from a Tesla dealership comes with a 4yr/50k mile full warranty. You are basically getting a new car warranty on the used car.

Quite simply it's the best driving car I've ever had, & the cars tech is amazing!. Tesla community is strong on social media sites if you choose to connect with other Tesla owners in your area , which is quite helpful.

I also love I'm part of the green movement atleast.

I'm a very humble, low key person, and purely bought the car because I'm a tech geek, and it's incredible to drive, but be prepared to get a lot of looks, & ?s about how the car works & drives, so that took a while getting used to people flagging you down in traffic to ask ?s about how it drives. I take it as a great opportunity to advocate for electric vehicles.

Main drawback is these are expensive cars comparatively (admittedly not a very Bogleheads thing to do, but I figure I could treat myself here, as I take saving & investing seriously and all my friends constantly joke how frugal I am otherwise). Telsa just released the Model 3 the more economical, mass market version, so I imagine in a few years when the first of those start showing up in used car inventory, it will be an incredible deal, but I really love my Model S and as long as I'm financially able without sacrificing my investment/savings goals, I'll be a Tesla owner for life!!!
Used model s seems to go for 45k for low end

It's no 5k beater, but it atleast doesn't have fuel costs that are appreciable
IT Sysadmin