Project Fi phone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
crazyapple11

Project Fi phone

Post by crazyapple11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 am

Last edited by crazyapple11 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keaton

Re: Be aware of Project Fi, Google sometimes is evil

Post by keaton » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 am

Pop the sim into your iPhone and get rid of the android. Easy peasy!

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am

Eh. If they fixed your phone it would be the same as getting someone else's refurb. You have a working phone with the original warranty. What is your complaint?

mckaydw

Post by mckaydw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 am

I dont think you can pop a Google FI sim into an iPhone and have it work easy peasy.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am

You think iPhone is any better? If you have an issue with an iPhone under its 1 year warranty, sure Apple will give you a replacement. But it will be a refurb too, per Apple's policy.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 am

new2bogle wrote:You think iPhone is any better? If you have an issue with an iPhone under its 1 year warranty, sure Apple will give you a replacement. But it will be a refurb too, per Apple's policy.
Exactly. This happened recently to someone in my family, they got a refurbished iPhone as a replacement under the warranty, not a new phone. So your regret about dumping iphones is misplaced in this situation because Apple has the same policy as Google.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am

new2bogle wrote:You think iPhone is any better? If you have an issue with an iPhone under its 1 year warranty, sure Apple will give you a replacement. But it will be a refurb too, per Apple's policy.
I can confirm this. My wife's iPhone screen (no applecare) was smashed by a softball and we went into an Apple store. They replaced the phone with a refurbished unit for CAD180. This was cheaper than CAD700 for a new phone. The Apple ID was entered into the phone and a restore from backup was done while in the store. My wife was back in business in about 15 minutes. We were really pleased. She didn't care that the phone was refurbished. Her smashed phone was almost 2 years old and she got a newer refurbished phone with a newer battery.
Wiki

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

NO phone manufacturer/retailer will give you a brand-new phone to replace your old one. So I suppose you should just give up smartphones entirely, since you're so vehemently opposed to any company that would dare to replace your non-functional device with a functional one.

Evil? Hardly. They took care of you under the terms of their hardware warranty and you're throwing a hissyfit because they won't let you return an 8 month old device for a full refund or upgrade.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:08 pm

All companies do that..
Same thing when your car that once was bought brand new get involved in a crash and declared total loss. The insurance company then will value the car at the time of accident and compensate you. They will never pay the brand new car value cause you did used the car for a while.
Warranty is nothing more than a prepaid insurance. Your "used" phone is not functioning, you get another used one in a mint condition, refurbished by the manufacturer.
It is a fair deal I would say.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

crazyapple11

Post by crazyapple11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Last edited by crazyapple11 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 pm

mckaydw wrote:I dont think you can pop a Google FI sim into an iPhone and have it work easy peasy.
I recently read that you *can* do this, however it seems to then only use the T-mobile network (losing Sprint and US Cellular capability), tends to have lower quality connection and may have issues with the hand-offs between wi-fi and cellular.

William4u

Post by William4u » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Evil? I think that word means something else. :wink:

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I had a completely different experience with project fi.

My nexus 5x was 1 year 4 months old. Received some update then phone would never boot up...just kept looping at google screen at startup then it would restart. Tried to wipe in the maintenance mode or whatever...didnt help.

Chatted with google...they overnight a replacement nexus 5x even though mine was out of warranty. Send the old one back...didnt have to pay a penny. Now thats service. Name any other carrier that would swap a phone out of warranty with a refurbished (and by refurbished it looked brand new.)

No complaints...when I have to speak to someone it takes less than a minute at google through chat...plan is cheap if you dont use data...I couldnt recommend more!

pqwerty

Post by pqwerty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I thought it was very non-evil when they credited users for data that didn't post correctly last month ... taking that $0.80 to the bank baby!

crazyapple11

Post by crazyapple11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Last edited by crazyapple11 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:19 pm

ponyboy wrote:Chatted with google...they overnight a replacement nexus 5x even though mine was out of warranty. Send the old one back...didnt have to pay a penny.
And it sounds as though they trusted you to send the old one back after you received a new one. Page Plus refused to replace my inexpensive Moto E when it arrived functional, but without the ability to set up a voice mail box. After promising 3 time to send a replacement, they finally admitted they couldn't do it until I sent my original one back to be checked out by them.

Mudpuppy

Re: Be aware of Project Fi phone buy service

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

I fail to see the issue here. Replacing a damaged phone with a refurbished model is standard operating procedure for many cell phone manufacturers, if they have refurbished models available. Warranties only have to make you whole by giving you a functional replacement, they don't guarantee a brand-new replacement.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

crazyapple11 wrote:Then they claimed that they have rights to send me a refurnished one. It's not my intention to ask for full refund, I just tired to explore multiple options with them since I don't like having a refurnished one. However, they just kept telling me it's their policy and I have to take the refurnished one.

It might be a fair deal. But I personally will not buy any google phone as they don't intend to help consumer when the issue pops up.
What did you expect them to do? You have a used phone, it had a problem, they gave you a working phone, same model, of similar or better quality. Obviously, if yours had been pristine and the replacement had scratches all over it, I would understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If they had actually provided repair service, you would have gotten your old phone back (and might have been without a device for a few weeks). Would that have been better?

Your definition of "intend to help consumer when the issue pops up" seems to be a different one from most people's (and most other manufacturers, i.e., you're unlikely going to get satisfaction elsewhere).

I am also not clear what this has to do with Project Fi. Is Google's warranty policy any different for a Nexus P with Project Fi service than any other service?

powermega

Post by powermega » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm

OP, when talking on the phone (no speaker phone), try covering up the small microphone hole that is above your finger print sensor and below the camera on the back of your phone.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm

ponyboy wrote:My nexus 5x was 1 year 4 months old. Received some update then phone would never boot up...just kept looping at google screen at startup then it would restart. Tried to wipe in the maintenance mode or whatever...didnt help.

Chatted with google...they overnight a replacement nexus 5x even though mine was out of warranty. Send the old one back...didnt have to pay a penny. Now thats service. Name any other carrier that would swap a phone out of warranty with a refurbished (and by refurbished it looked brand new.)
The Nexus 5x is made by LG and that sounds like the classic LG boot-loop. So many LG manufactured phones are affected by the boot-loop, that getting one replaced or repaired when it happens, even if the phone is out of warranty, is pretty easy. Most people report no issues getting their phones repaired in this situation, even if they're out of the warranty period. It sounds like Google just bumped that up a notch by sending a refurbished model instead of making you wait until LG repaired your current phone.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 pm

littlebird wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Chatted with google...they overnight a replacement nexus 5x even though mine was out of warranty. Send the old one back...didnt have to pay a penny.
And it sounds as though they trusted you to send the old one back after you received a new one. Page Plus refused to replace my inexpensive Moto E when it arrived functional, but without the ability to set up a voice mail box. After promising 3 time to send a replacement, they finally admitted they couldn't do it until I sent my original one back to be checked out by them.
They dont care if I send it back or not. If they didnt receive in within 3 weeks they would have charged me around $200.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
ponyboy wrote:My nexus 5x was 1 year 4 months old. Received some update then phone would never boot up...just kept looping at google screen at startup then it would restart. Tried to wipe in the maintenance mode or whatever...didnt help.

The Nexus 5x is made by LG and that sounds like the classic LG boot-loop. So many LG manufactured phones are affected by the boot-loop, that getting one replaced or repaired when it happens, even if the phone is out of warranty, is pretty easy. Most people report no issues getting their phones repaired in this situation, even if they're out of the warranty period. It sounds like Google just bumped that up a notch by sending a refurbished model instead of making you wait until LG repaired your current phone.
Thats interesting...never heard of it. Maybe thats why google was so easy to deal with. It was a known problem that they already knew about.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

ponyboy wrote:Thats interesting...never heard of it. Maybe thats why google was so easy to deal with. It was a known problem that they already knew about.
There are so many LG phones affected that a law firm filed a class-action lawsuit earlier this year: http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-boot ... es-763117/
But that particular lawsuit has been compelled into arbitration, so consumers may not see much relief: https://www.xda-developers.com/one-clas ... bitration/

I have an LG phone that I really like, but it's one of the models affected by the boot-loop issue. Mine is still working, but I baby it (such as trickle charging to avoid overheating, which has been reported to exacerbate the issue) and back it up religiously. There are so many LG models affected with this issue that it makes me reluctant to go to the latest version of this phone the next time I decide to upgrade. I just no longer trust their manufacturing process. Their purchase contract binding-arbitration clause is another matter of pause, although I suspect were one to dig into the purchase contracts of other manufacturers, one would find similar clauses.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 pm

I also had an amazing experience when my out-of-warranty phone entered a boot loop. Google quickly sent me a replacement phone, I swapped the SIM cards, and went on my business. It was excellent customer service when they weren't legally required to do anything for me.

I was once traveling and could not send any text messages unless I was on Wi-Fi. I entered a support request via website and someone called me within minutes. They were very pleasant and escalated the issue when they could not solve it. Tier 2 identified the problem: idiot phone own (me!) had turned off the messaging app's use of cellular data! Project Fi is the best customer experience I've ever had.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

ponyboy wrote:
littlebird wrote:
They dont care if I send it back or not. If they didnt receive in within 3 weeks they would have charged me around $200.
Sounds like a reasonable way to handle things.

keaton

Post by keaton » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:13 pm

What does everyone with Google FI end up paying at the end of the month? I can’t bring myself to change since I’m at $40 for unlimited, I would have to really cut back to ever come close to that with google fi

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 pm

I love Google Fi. Pay less than $30/month and service is perfect. Even had to do a swap for another 6P when mine acted funny and the replacement was perfect. A refurb, but looked and worked like new. Customer support also answers immediately. Can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.