Why shouldn't I buy a Google Pixel through Verizon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Why shouldn't I buy a Google Pixel through Verizon?

Post by CULater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 am

I was told by salesman at Best Buy that all Google Pixel phones sold with Verizon plans are actually unlocked phones that can be used with any carrier. At the moment, a Google Pixel can be purchased from Verizon for $17.50 per month for 24 months, or $420, which is significantly less than the retail price even during the current sale at the Google Store for $524.

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the Pixel from Verizon (which I guess requires signing up for a plan as well, at least initially) then paying off the phone in one payment and dropping the Verizon plan? Voila, I have an unlocked Pixel that I can use on a cheaper prepaid MVNO network of my choice for less $$ than I can get it from Google. What am I missing here?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

bloom2708

Re: Why shouldn't I buy a Google Pixel through Verizon?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:43 am

The primary reason would be your actual calling plan on Verizon will probably be double the cost of a $35 (all taxes/fees included) MVNO provider to get the same amount of calling/texts/data. The Verizon plan cost will be before taxes/fees, so add another $7-8.

You "save" on the phone and then reimburse by paying more for your plan.

Here is a refurb Pixel for $379

https://www.dailysteals.com/products/go ... 32gb-128gb
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 am

bloom2708 wrote:The primary reason would be your actual calling plan on Verizon will probably be double the cost of a $35 (all taxes/fees included) MVNO provider to get the same amount of calling/texts/data. The Verizon plan cost will be before taxes/fees, so add another $7-8.

You "save" on the phone and then reimburse by paying more for your plan.

Here is a refurb Pixel for $379

https://www.dailysteals.com/products/go ... 32gb-128gb
What OP is proposing is dropping the Verizon plan after the first month. I assume OP will get the cheapest plan possible from Verizon.

OP - sounds like a reasonable plan. You should make sure that whatever carrier you are going to doesn't have an activation fee/SIM card fee (or if they do, that it's a small fee). That plus the first month plan fee to Verizon could cut significantly into the price difference.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 am

CULater wrote:I was told by salesman at Best Buy that all Google Pixel phones sold with Verizon plans are actually unlocked phones that can be used with any carrier.
I'm a longtime Verizon customer and this is the first time that I've heard of Verizon doing this. I would double check with Verizon itself. Also make sure that there is no penalty for paying off the phone early.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:39 am

Op, something to consider, you probably will have huge amount of Verizon bloatware that you can not remove from your phone unless you know how to root the phone, which is a complicated process. The bloatware will consume a lot of your phone resources including the battery and its memory.
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am

KlingKlang wrote:
CULater wrote:I was told by salesman at Best Buy that all Google Pixel phones sold with Verizon plans are actually unlocked phones that can be used with any carrier.
I'm a longtime Verizon customer and this is the first time that I've heard of Verizon doing this. I would double check with Verizon itself. Also make sure that there is no penalty for paying off the phone early.
All Verizon 4g LTE phones on postpaid plans are unlocked. This has been the case for several years.

"We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier."

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer- ... ing-policy

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm

bluebolt wrote:
KlingKlang wrote:
All Verizon 4g LTE phones on postpaid plans are unlocked. This has been the case for several years.

"We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier."

Thanks for the info. What I don't know for sure is if you can cancel your Verizon plan and simply pay off the phone without incurring early termination fees because the phone was actually purchased on a 24-month payment plan. I was told on Verizon Chat that you can terminate a postpaid service plan at any time and I believe I heard that that Verizon did away with service contract plans altogether. But will they have you on the hook because you are on a device contract payment plan?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm

+1 to bloatware and other proprietary nonsense. I bought my phone from Verizon and took it to Cricket. Yes it is unlocked, but every time it reboots it reminds me that the SIM card is not from Verizon, makes me sit through the Verizon load screen etc.

+1 to termination fees. If a contract is required to get the lower price on the phone, rest assured you will pay more than the discount amount in termination fees to get out of the contract.

Also, your software update schedule is determined by which carrier you buy from. Verizon is slow and may choose to stop providing updates even though Android update for your model are still available from Google.

I am intending to buy a Pixel or similar phone early next year, and I will be buying the non-carrier version.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 pm

CULater wrote:
bluebolt wrote:
KlingKlang wrote:

Thanks for the info. What I don't know for sure is if you can cancel your Verizon plan and simply pay off the phone without incurring early termination fees because the phone was actually purchased on a 24-month payment plan. I was told on Verizon Chat that you can terminate a postpaid service plan at any time and I believe I heard that that Verizon did away with service contract plans altogether. But will they have you on the hook because you are on a device contract payment plan?
A device payment plan requires that you pay off the device before/when you terminate. Since you're not on a contract, there are not early termination fees. NB: Verify you are not signing a contract.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

As far as I know, the only difference between the Verizon pixel XL I have and the Google store pixel is that the Verizon one has a locked bootloader. Which means it it much harder to root. If you don't care about tinkering with root access, you shouldn't care. There was no bloatware on my Verizon pixel that I couldn't easily delete. Not sure there was any bloatware at all, but can't remember for sure.

jhaze84

Post by jhaze84 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 pm

There is some misinformation in this thread that I want to try to clear up. I am a Verizon customer and I bought my Pixel from Verizon (excellent phone by the way).

1. Verizon Pixels are not loaded with Verizon bloatware.

Verizon has a poor reputation for loading their phones with bloatware. However, the Pixel is an exception. It comes with 3 Verizon apps preinstalled, and they can be uninstalled. Also, there is no Verizon boot screen. It has the standard Google boot screen.

EDIT: I am mistaken about point #2 below. What I described is for "Promo and Trade In" bill credits, not "Reduced Retail Price" discounts. Apologies for the confusion.

2. You will lose the sale price of your phone if you leave Verizon before the 24-month payment period is over.

Verizon applies their phone discounts as a bill credit over the 24 months. For example, I got $200 off my phone, and I am being credited on my Verizon bill $8.33/mo for 24 months. The fine print indicates if you take the phone off of Verizon service early, or pay the phone off early, you forfeit the remaining bill credits.

Unfortunately, OP, this means your idea to leave Verizon but keep the sale price will not work.

To clarify, there is no service contract and thus no early termination fee if you leave Verizon before 24 months. The "fee" you pay in this case is the forfeiture of the remaining bill credits that result in the discounted price of the phone.
Last edited by jhaze84 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 pm

jhaze84 wrote:There is some misinformation in this thread that I want to try to clear up. I am a Verizon customer and I bought my Pixel from Verizon (excellent phone by the way).

1. Verizon Pixels are not loaded with Verizon bloatware.

Verizon has a poor reputation for loading their phones with bloatware. However, the Pixel is an exception. It comes with 3 Verizon apps preinstalled, and they can be uninstalled. Also, there is no Verizon boot screen. It has the standard Google boot screen.

2. You will lose the sale price of your phone if you leave Verizon before the 24-month payment period is over.

Verizon applies their phone discounts as a bill credit over the 24 months. For example, I got $200 off my phone, and I am being credited on my Verizon bill $8.33/mo for 24 months. The fine print indicates if you take the phone off of Verizon service early, or pay the phone off early, you forfeit the remaining bill credits.

Unfortunately, OP, this means your idea to leave Verizon but keep the sale price will not work.

Edit: To clarify, there is no service contract and thus no early termination fee if you leave Verizon before 24 months. The "fee" you pay in this case is the forfeiture of the remaining bill credits that result in the discounted price of the phone.
AHa, thank you very much. I knew there had to be a catch somewhere or lots of people would be signing up and dumping Verizon just to get the Pixel discount. You have explained it. Interesting though that I was on a chat with a Verizon rep online and he clearly stated that if I terminated service I would then own the balance of the $420 discount price of the phone. He even assumed I would terminate immediately and then I would owe $420 - $17.50 = $412.50 as the balance to keep the phone. Then he was urging me to go ahead with my online purchase. I guess this amounts to outright fraud by this rep, yes?

jhaze84

Post by jhaze84 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

CULater wrote:AHa, thank you very much. I knew there had to be a catch somewhere or lots of people would be signing up and dumping Verizon just to get the Pixel discount. You have explained it. Interesting though that I was on a chat with a Verizon rep online and he clearly stated that if I terminated service I would then own the balance of the $420 discount price of the phone. He even assumed I would terminate immediately and then I would owe $420 - $17.50 = $412.50 as the balance to keep the phone. Then he was urging me to go ahead with my online purchase. I guess this amounts to outright fraud by this rep, yes?
So I'm sorry - I think I gave you inaccurate information. :oops: What I described is for "Promo and Trade In" bill credits. I took a look at the current deal for the Pixel and it is instead listed as a "Reduced Retail Price" which seems to be a separate type of discount. So the rep might not have been lying to you about being able to pay off the phone early.

Still, I would tread carefully. If you do try it and have success, let us know!

I'm going to edit my first post to reduce confusion.