foursquare laptop warranty for college bound daughter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gips

foursquare laptop warranty for college bound daughter

Post by gips » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 pm

I purchased a new laptop off dell's outlet site for $800, comes with a one-year warranty for malfunctions. I can get a 3-year warranty from squaretrade with a $99 deductible for $199, includes drops, spills, and malfunctions. So figure it will cost me $300 for the first repair, $200 for the second. Or I can purchase a 3-year warranty with no deductible for $329. So $329 for the first repair and second repair.

Doesn't cover lost or stolen but she's pretty good with this stuff.

either warranty worth it?

mhalley

Re: foursquare laptop warranty for college bound daughter

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm

In general, extra warranties are not recommended. Does your cc give any extra protection?

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/clark- ... arranties/
http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podca ... script.htm

Joecrow23

Post by Joecrow23 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 am

Extra warranty is definitely worth it. I had a MacBook that died during my sophomore year of college. Apple replaced the motherboard, entire casing, and some other things, for free. Basically got a new laptop. Was not due to negligence, just defect.

I had Squaretrade with a phone and they refused to honor a warranty claim even though it should have been 100% covered. Several phone calls later I got a refund a bought a new phone. In short , Squaretrade sucks. My parents always had Dell support and had no problems. They went to their house to fix their desktop and had quick shipping when fixing their laptop.

If you want a warranty get a Dell warranty. Aftermarket warranties might be alright and cheaper most of the time but I would rather pay more for a manufacturer warranty.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I would go with the Dell warranty as well.

Especially if your daughter is away from home, and a large repair bill might overwhelm her. She would need her laptop fixed quickly, and getting it fixed shouldn't suck up her resources.

When I was helping my daughters get established, I would purchase service plans on their washers and dryers, mostly so I wouldn't have to fool with repairing them myself. Keeping your own stuff working is painful enough, without have to messing with items you don't even own/use yourself.

Computers for college are in the same category, they are somebody else's issue. I would get a good warranty and save the headaches for my own stuff.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

rob65

Post by rob65 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 pm

I'll just add that college laptops get carried all over campus on a regular basis and are at greater risk for accidental damage. I'm not usually a big fan of extended warranties, but I think this is an exception.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm

$300 (cost) to insure an $800 item for 3 years where 1 year is already covered by the manufacturer (partly). I guess it depends on how likely an event is going to happen and your ability to self insure.

I sure wouldn't do it.

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:08 pm

i wouldnt do it. Most of the college kids use apple anyway, so she might want to switch

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I would advise against it. College kids are always in the middle of some long term project or another and if your daughters computer goes down she is going have to get it repaired or replaced within hours not days. I don't know how foursquare manages it's computer warranty but I am betting that there are requirements and restrictions that prevent a rapid response. In other words, you are likely to find that a foursquare warranty is useless.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:23 pm

My experience: When my daughter went to Grad School 14 years ago, I bought her a Dell Laptop using a code-key for her college. Laptop was more than 2x what the OP paid, as she need higher grade video to effectively use GIS Mapping Software. I opt'd for the extended coverage from Dell for about $200. About 20 months later, she pinched a USB cord while USB was plugged in and wiped out the USB controller. Computer still ran, just no USB. Campus IT people looked at it, said new motherboard, ordered it, and when they got it a few days later, she took it in and they fixed it in 1 day, including cleaning off a whole bunch of add-on programs it came with that was slowing the machine down. Thus, for us it was a good deal.

Key point, however, is that the University had ties with Dell and also did the work. She did not have to wait a day or two for a tech to arrive, or worse, had to mail it someplace to get it fixed.

Today, for the cost of today's laptops, I'd op for frequently backing up her data ( weekly ) and if it died, to just go out a buy a new one that day. The data is whats important, not the laptop or the OS. In the case of my daughter, the University provide her online storage space which she used for backups, which she used more than once when she messed up a file and needed to replace it. She got very good about saving her current thesis files every time changed something, having learned that need the hard way.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm

In general, I'd say no, but for my college kid, it's a little different. I didn't get one for her first laptop and it didn't last a year. I also didn't do enough research about durability. College kids haul laptops all over and they can take a lot of abuse even if the kid tries to be careful. I bought one for her second (Dell XPS 13). The campus IT in many cases won't touch hardware issues.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm

You may already have an extended warranty if you bought it with a credit card that provides that.

Check to see what computer support the school has. My son was a computer science major and he worked in the campus computer center for students as a part time job. Part of the student fee covered this so students could bring their computers in to get them fixed for just the cost of any needed parts. As I recall most of the repairs didn't require parts since it was usually just a software fix or a reinstall of the operating system that was required.

I doubt that the foursquare warranty would cover the loss or theft of the laptop.

Make sure that she has a good backup strategy.

thrill21

Post by thrill21 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

I would have gone will Dell's warranty. Playing on the dell outlet site it looks like you can get a 4 year warranty + accidental damage for $318. Don't have to pay for repairs or parts at all. Spill a drink on it and ruin it? Dell will replace it with an equal or better laptop, free.

I've used them for about 9 years now. No problems getting things repaired and I ruined my $600 15in inspiron with a drink. I called them up and in a couple weeks I had a refurbished $1200 XPS 17 laptop. Though my brother had a similar situation where they just sent him another inspiron, but it was still an upgrade. I currently have an Alienware17r2 and Alienware15r3 with the warranty + accidental and they have fixed my issues with these perfectly fine as well.

tldr: Dell has a good warranty and has treated me well. Get it if you can.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 pm

https://m.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15t-To ... 69551.html

OP,

Why won't you buy your laptop from Costco? You get 2 years of warranty. And, if you pay with Costco's Visa card, you get another 2 years. You get 4 years of warranty free.

https://m.costco.com/SquareTrade-3-Year ... 58241.html

I do not see any deductible required for Squaretrade purchased via Costco.

KlangFool

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Regarding theft which wouldn't be covered under warranty. When my daughter went to college a few years ago I was able to get a rider on my homeowners policy to cover theft or loss. It was only $25/ year. I bought her an Apple through the school with a 4 year warranty. 5 years later it's still going strong with no issues. I think the Solid state drives available on the Apples and some PC's are less prone to have problems.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Check out dorm insurance or a special articles rider, both of which cover items like laptops against damage including drops and water damage as well as theft/fire/...

I pay $69/year for my laptop coverage. It doesn't cover the machine breaking, but if I damage it or it is lost, stolen or destroyed, the policy pays to repair or replace it for a minor ($50 if I recall) deductible. My laptop is an Apple, so pricier, but plenty of college kids have dumped a coffee on a laptop or cracked the screen.

My daughter had dorm room insurance (on the order of $100/year) to cover her belongings. A water leak damaged her dresser and bed -- she sent them a photo of the damage, a photo of the IKEA furniture receipt, and had a check for the full replacement cost within 10 days.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:10 pm

seems like a high deductible for a depreciating $800 machine

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 am

Nate79 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm
$300 (cost) to insure an $800 item for 3 years where 1 year is already covered by the manufacturer (partly). I guess it depends on how likely an event is going to happen and your ability to self insure.

I sure wouldn't do it.
I agree. Many of my credit cards double the warranty so you are basically getting 1 year warranty for 40% of the purchase price.

What will the laptop even be worth in 3 years?

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:40 am

First it's not going to be worth $400 to repair a $800 laptop more than a year from now, computers depreciate rapidly. If it were broken or damaged would you cover the cost or would your child? If you have the ability to cover the cost don't get the warranty and stress to the child it's their responsibility. My 9 year old bought her own Chromebook 3 years ago and it doesn't have a scratch on it and she uses it constantly, the notion that devices at college are at higher risk than a work environment is simply false, they are probably at risk of being treated carelessly but that is an easy thing to fix.