Oregon road trip help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AlwaysBeClimbing

Re: Oregon road trip help

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 pm

daveydoo wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Guess your handle is meant to be ironic -- unless it's social climbing :happy . Enjoy the great indoors!

Pics are not the same. If you think that pics are a good substitute, I have a great money-saving tip for you on cars, homes, travel, relationships... :D .

Based upon my unintentional BH poll, it looks like I'll be the only one there...fingers crossed!

I may miss it -- my target area may be overcast that day. You can have the last laugh. This is such a strange forum sometimes. Cheers!
Your comparisons fall flat, unless you have discovered a way to drive, live in, travel to, or have relations with a two dimensional representation of an object. You and a fair number of others want equate this with the second coming, carry on. Just another day for me.

Nature will be the one with the last laugh if it's overcast, I'll be the one wailing "Oh, the humanity!" for the stricken millions. :twisted:

I was trying to figure out what your handle refers to,and all I could come up with is this:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... ion-of/doo

Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 am

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Here is what I know.
1-We are going to drive 60 miles to Hood River and back to Portland for one day.
2-We are going to drive the coast from Florence to Seaside and will be going through Salem and Eugene.Since we will be probably doing this on the weekend not sure if we should go down the coast and back up through Eugene/Salem or vice versa.
3-My wife wants to spend time in Portland.
I guess we could just stay in Portland day one on Friday with 1:00 arrival and do the Hood River on Saturday or we could do the Hood River on Tuesday,our last day.Any suggestions traffic wise and crowd wise?
Hotels at the coast tend to fill on summer weekends, and most of the good ones have 2-3 night minimums.

I'd suggest:

-head to hood river right from Pdx. You can stay in hood river fri night or return to Portland. Should be plenty of availability downtown Portland Fri night. You can choose what to hit along the way--vista house has decent views, mulnomah falls, angels rest are good but different hikes. Hood river is a neat little town.

-Saturday: drive to Eugene and stay there Saturday night. You can spend the day in portland prior to driving down, or hit something like silver falls state park on the way down. Hotels should be easy in Eugene on a Saturday. Inn at the fifth if you're looking for upscale boutique, but there are plenty of chain hotels.

-Eugene to Florence and up the coast sun-tues. Manzanita and Cannon Beach are neat coastal towns; Lincoln City is larger and may have more hotel availability. Seaside is not our favorite--too honky tonk. I'd be inclined to try to get 2 nights in Cannon Beach and make that home base. Stephanie inn, waves motel, schooners cove, hallmark inn are ocean front and good.

-return to Portland via 26 Tues evening or Wednesday morning. (Tues if you want more time in the city). If you are wine people you could drive back through McMinnville and hit wine country, which is also a beautiful drive. But 26 is great and quick.

You could do the beach loop the opposite direction if you can find hotel availability sat night.

ETA: try to avoid driving into or out of downtown from 3-7. Its not awful but better to plan around. That's why heading to hood river directly from Pdx is a good bet.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for all of the help.
I have settled on the following for better or for worse :D
As soon as we get off the plane and get our rental car on Friday at about 1,we are driving towards Eugene and will stay there Friday,hopefully missing most traffic.
Saturday a.m. we head to Florence and stay overnight in Newport.
We spend all day Sunday driving up the coast and stay in Portland Sunday night.
Monday we spend in Portland.
Tuesday we drive to Hood River and back.
Wednesday we stay in Portland until mid afternoon then off to airport.
My wife gets to really see Portland.We get to see a lot of the coast.We get to see the Hood River area.We get to see Eugene and the University.
Good enough for a short trip :happy
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 am

GerryL wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
GerryL wrote: No. Don't. Word is that the roads will be jammed and there is little chance of finding a place to sleep. Even in Portland we are hearing warnings about traffic jams.
For weeks now the people who live in the eclipse "band" in Oregon are being warned to "shelter in place." Stock up on food and be sure your gas tank is full by Friday, they are being advised. That, and the stories of people who made hotel reservations over a year ago and found that the reservations had been cancelled and/or the prices jacked up. It's almost like a mini Y2K here.
It was incredible. Had seen partials before but never totality. One of the most amazing experiences I've ever had (and I owned a Toyota once). Was in the I-5 corridor(ish) -- took ~ 50% longer than typical commuting time to get there, and ~ 100% longer to get home. Out the door at 7 AM and home by 12:30 PM. And that was for 1" 45" of totality. Some in the Eastern part of Oregon did sit in traffic for hours to get home, but my in-laws made it all the way out there and back from western Washington in a single daylight drive. Maybe everyone did get scared away. Sad!

trogdor

Post by trogdor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Try and avoid dysentery!!

Sorry, I had to do it...

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Op here....we are driving from Portland to Eugene tomorrow.Any place worth stopping for a bit? Corvallis or Salem?Anywhere?

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Lots of vineyards and wineries.
Take a ferry across the Willamette River: Buena Vista, Wheatland, and Canby.
End of the Oregon Trail Museum , at Willamette Falls, Oregon City.
McCloughlin House, Oregon City. (Hudson's Bay Company and Fort Vancouver WA, 1824)
Willamette University, Oldest university west of the Mississippi. Featured on NOVA, 8/23/2017, Eclipse 2017
The Delphian School at Sheridan, OR
Mt Angel Seminary at Mt Angel
Endless number of brewhouses
Endless number of pot stores.
Endless number of coffee houses.
Breitenbush Hot Springs & Resort (new age, clothing optional), yurt camping available.
Willamette River, where it once so polluted that you swam with the algae rafts
Get busted at Amity for speeding. Then go to McMinnville for a McMenamin's Terminator.
Or Boon's Treasury in Salem (a McMenamin establshment), First StateTreasury of Oregon, feet from JasonLee Mill (that methodist missionary) and site of Salem's founding.

Basically lots of places to get you drunk, high, wired, to commune with yourself/nature and heighten your knowledge 8-) :twisted: :oops:
of course YMMV :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :annoyed
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Here is what I know.
1-We are going to drive 60 miles to Hood River and back to Portland for one day.
2-We are going to drive the coast from Florence to Seaside and will be going through Salem and Eugene.Since we will be probably doing this on the weekend not sure if we should go down the coast and back up through Eugene/Salem or vice versa.
3-My wife wants to spend time in Portland.
I guess we could just stay in Portland day one on Friday with 1:00 arrival and do the Hood River on Saturday or we could do the Hood River on Tuesday,our last day.Any suggestions traffic wise and crowd wise?
That's a reasonable plan. Portland rush hour traffic, as others stated, is pretty bad.
Either loop direction works well. What do you plan to do in Salem? My in-laws live there, aside from the Oregon Gardens, we wouldn't bother visiting.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:53 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 pm
Lots of vineyards and wineries.
Take a ferry across the Willamette River: Buena Vista, Wheatland, and Canby.
End of the Oregon Trail Museum , at Willamette Falls, Oregon City.
McCloughlin House, Oregon City. (Hudson's Bay Company and Fort Vancouver WA, 1824)
Willamette University, Oldest university west of the Mississippi. Featured on NOVA, 8/23/2017, Eclipse 2017
The Delphian School at Sheridan, OR
Mt Angel Seminary at Mt Angel
Endless number of brewhouses
Endless number of pot stores.
Endless number of coffee houses.
Breitenbush Hot Springs & Resort (new age, clothing optional), yurt camping available.
Willamette River, where it once so polluted that you swam with the algae rafts
Get busted at Amity for speeding. Then go to McMinnville for a McMenamin's Terminator.
Or Boon's Treasury in Salem (a McMenamin establshment), First StateTreasury of Oregon, feet from JasonLee Mill (that methodist missionary) and site of Salem's founding.

Basically lots of places to get you drunk, high, wired, to commune with yourself/nature and heighten your knowledge 8-) :twisted: :oops:
of course YMMV :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :annoyed
Itstoomuch :happy :) :)but thanks for the suggestions

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 pm

You can have coffee with me. :annoyed
BK is my favorite. Senior coffee @0.50 Youngsters @$1.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Woodburn Outlet. Where the Chinese will take a special bus from Seattle or Vancouver BC to visit.
No sales tax in Oregon,

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm

An outlet!My wife will be happy :D

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm

So if we leave Portland at 1 towards Eugene,where is the worst traffic and about what time?Trying to figure out where we can stop along the way and not get caught in bumper to bumper.Thanks. My wife wants to stop at the outlet :D

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 pm

There is also the Evergreen Air Museum at McMinnville. Not bad. Prop planes. Spruce Goose.
Oregon State Fair, Salem starts Friday.
Bridgeport Village, Tigard at I-5 exit 290 is upscale with Apple store, big REI store.
Fry's Electronics at Wilsonville, exit 285 (?)

Leaving Portland from AM to 2pm will be OK. It bottlenecks at I-5 & 217 and again at I-5 Boone Bridge (Daniels grandson)/Wilsonville & I-205.

Mobile Data phone use within the Woodburn Outlet is spotty. OK in parking lot.

Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:59 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 pm
Such impressively detailed info available here on BH.org. And 100% true...

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Prop planes.
When I visited, they didn't have any prop planes. They were all 100% real ones.

:D
Stay on target...

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:12 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
There is also the Evergreen Air Museum at McMinnville. Not bad. Prop planes. Spruce Goose.
Oregon State Fair, Salem starts Friday.
Bridgeport Village, Tigard at I-5 exit 290 is upscale with Apple store, big REI store.
Fry's Electronics at Wilsonville, exit 285 (?)

Leaving Portland from AM to 2pm will be OK. It bottlenecks at I-5 & 217 and again at I-5 Boone Bridge (Daniels grandson)/Wilsonville & I-205.

Thanks itstoomuch.You should get a part time job as a travel agent :D

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:18 pm

The only place that I have visited recently is the Hot Springs and only then 20 years ago when I was fitter and younger. (not exactly true but near enough).
The other stuff, I have my own sources :shock: :shock: :annoyed or can't do because of health reasons.
Wifey insists on buying my underwear and outer clothes so I only visit Woodburn when I have to drive. I stay in the car and browse :annoyed

BTW, SilverCreeFalls is awesome. http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... er_fa.html

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm
Sounds like a great trip but Crater Lake will be another time.
That will give you some to book a room at the lodge if you're interested. Needs to be done well in advance. I would also highly recommend Crater Lake if you can make it work sometime.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

I wanted to post in response to all those who cautioned against traveling to see the eclipse. It seems that all the hype about traffic and hordes of descending locusts were overblown, which likely delighted the locals.

My wife and I spent two weeks pulling our small trailer from the central coast of California, stopping in Oregon at Clear Lake and Lemolo Lake to camp and kayak fish, and also in Myrtle Creek and Bend to visit relatives. Local stores like Safeway in Bend overstocked provisions only to find little demand. The eclipse was great, with the most surprising aspect being the rapid decline in temperature (about 20 degrees) as totality approached.

We found everyone to be welcoming and pleasant, with the exception of a clerk where I bought some ice and beer. He didn't recognize my area code, which I was required to input, and asked where I was from. When I told him the name of the town where I live, a picturesque location that everyone recognizes, he mentioned that it was a beautiful place "Even if it is in California". The other odd thing we found was in a camp store at Lemolo Lake, which had a large collection of Trump hats for sale (I prefer non-political camping).

We experienced no traffic delays, either coming or going, and the only disappointment was the pervasive smoke from existing wildfires, which was present throughout every region we traveled through, with the least amount in Bend. Oregon is a wonderful State with a vast variety of activities for the active resident or visitor.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Well we are at the airport waiting to come home.Portland has the nicest airport I have seen.
The coast was awesome.The waterfalls were great on the way to Hood River.Hood River was a waste of time other than the scenery driving there.Eugene is very nice.Driving around Portland is a nightmare.The traffic is worse than the Bay Area.I never associated Oregon with traffic.Portland itself was ok.I wish we had stayed another day on the coast for sure.I did not get what were suppose to be some of the highlights of Portland but they came from internet searches and not the Bogleheads.
Anyway,you need more time to really enjoy the coast and the parks and waterfalls.Next time will do the southern coast and Crater Lake.
There were some really good restaurants in Portland.Tasty and Alder and the other I think was Southpark Seafood on Salmon st.There was a really good one in Newport,Local Ocean Seafood.Excellent.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Next stop Maine!
Last edited by hoops777 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 pm

You don't drive in core areas of Portland or Seattle. You drive to or near core and then you use public.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:32 pm

I know.You all warned me but it was not too bad.We got lucky and most of the bad traffic was going the other way every time :D

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

The Portland metropolitan area has grown a lot, and that has brought traffic. It used to be bad just at certain times of the day, now it's bad all day long. I avoid Portland.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm

Ruger wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm
The Portland metropolitan area has grown a lot, and that has brought traffic. It used to be bad just at certain times of the day, now it's bad all day long. I avoid Portland.
You don't need to drive in Portland, what with the MAX, TriMet buses, and the streetcar.
Gordon

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 am
itstoomuch wrote:
Prop planes.
When I visited, they didn't have any prop planes. They were all 100% real ones.

:D
That deserves some recognition. Bravo, Jupe.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm
Ruger wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm
You don't need to drive in Portland, what with the MAX, TriMet buses, and the streetcar.
With the crime that happens on MAX, no thanks. Plus I live in an area where none of those things run.....I would have to drive into one of their
stations and leave my car there....just as easy to drive into town, which, fortunately, I don't have to. I hate Portland for many reasons, the
traffic is just one of those :)

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm

In fairness to Portland,I do not think there are any major metropolitan areas without traffic nightmares,but Portland is very confusing with all of the bridges and the way their highway system is set up.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm
Well we are at the airport waiting to come home.Portland has the nicest airport I have seen.
The coast was awesome.The waterfalls were great on the way to Hood River. ... Driving around Portland is a nightmare.The traffic is worse than the Bay Area.I never associated Oregon with traffic.Portland itself was ok.I wish we had stayed another day on the coast for sure. ... Thanks again for all of the help.
Next stop Maine!
Glad you had a good time here and hope you can return to spend more time. Yes, we have a great airport. It wins "best airport" prizes every year. (I'll be on my way there tomorrow AM, heading to France!)
And, yes, the traffic is ... not good. I was a fairly new driver when I moved here from Boston in 1990. I was amazed at how easy it was to drive downtown and how polite the other drivers were. Those days are long gone. Seems more and more like Boston driving every year.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 am

Portland and Sacramento are the best airports I've flown in and out of.
Gordon

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am

PDX is still a great airport, but it hasn't been the same since they replaced the carpet. :(
Stay on target...

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm

I never understand why airports have so much carpet.It is much easier to roll your luggage on a hard surface and the carpet should be in the sitting areas.

Shemi

Post by Shemi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm

As mentioned above, Ashland is a great place, similar to Berkeley in some respects. Just spent weekend there and saw "Henry IV, Part 1." Recommended!

For an "end of the earth" feeling in Oregon, visit Goose Lake, near Alturas, CA.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I live in the East Bay and if Ashland is like Berkeley I will avoid it.With the exception of having a great university,Berkeley has to be the most overrated place to live I have ever seen.It is dirty,crowded and has little charm.It has some nice neighborhoods in the hills if you do not mind the hassle of getting to them.Just my opinion of course.I would bet the only thing Ashland has in common with Berkeley is a slight hippie vibe.
Last edited by hoops777 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Shemi wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm
As mentioned above, Ashland is a great place, similar to Berkeley in some respects. Just spent weekend there and saw "Henry IV, Part 1." Recommended! . . . .

I'm planning to go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in October and see Henry IV, Part 1. Did you see Henry IV, Part 2 while you were there? I'm planning to see that, as well.
Gordon

Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am
PDX is still a great airport, but it hasn't been the same since they replaced the carpet. :(
:thumbsup