Oregon road trip help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777

Oregon road trip help

Post by hoops777 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Just got a lot of great help on a trip to Maine and hoping for the same good advice for Oregon.
Basic idea but open to suggestions that would drastically change the plan :D
Flying in to Portland on Friday 8/25 at 12:30 and leaving Wednesday 8/30 at 3:00.
Basic idea is to drive to Salem and spend half a day or so at the state fair.Drive to Eugene and then to Florence.From there up the coast and back to Portland.I kind of wanted to go to the Dalles and see the gorge but seemed really out of the way.Not sure how long to stay where.Was thinking one long day driving up the coast but not staying overnight.Mostly interested in the scenery and walking around small towns or interesting big ones.We have been to Bend and Portland before.
Really debating the trip to the Dalles but it is opposite the coast.Also my wife loves seafood.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

climber2020

Re: Oregon road trip help

Post by climber2020 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

One place you may want to consider is Crater Lake. It's a bit out of the way from everything else, so it might be a bit too much for a 5 night trip. It's an incredible place.

Earlier this summer, I also spent a week in Oregon and drove up the coast for part of it. Here are some pictures from my trip of some of the highlights you may want to see: https://www.liteadventurer.com/photo-es ... gon-coast/

There have been a few good recent posts on Oregon sightseeing, so you may want to search the forums for those as well. Have a good trip!

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm

I would definitely second the idea to go from Salem to Crater Lake. If you then head over to the coast and drive up and see various cities along the coast I recommend a stop in Depot Bay to check out the whale watching. Multnomah falls is worth visiting in the Gorge. It's probably a bit much but if you could visit Mt. St. Helens it is an amazing site to see. Or a trip up to Mt. Hood and have lunch/dinner at Timberline Lodge. The view there and the drive up is great.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm

One overlooked spot, I always liked, was Sea Lion Caves. You walk or take an elevator down
to a cave with hundreds of sea lions are year round inhabitants.

It's in Florence.
Yes, it is commercial - but the cave is natural and it is a site to behold.

http://www.sealioncaves.com/tickets.php

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Personally I would pass on the Dalles. I would spend more time on the coast. I like Newport. There are lots of towns to visit allong the coast. To me, much more interesting than the Dalles.

risharinga

Post by risharinga » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

We were in Florence, OR earlier this summer and really loved riding the buggy on the sand-dunes. If you have small kids then go for the big ones as they go slower. Else go for the seven-seater ones. http://www.sandland.com/
A couple of good lighthouses near Florence, OR.
We missed going to this Safari but have chalked this one up for our next trip. :happy https://wildlifesafari.net/

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Just visited Crater Lake, awesome!! Do the round the lake drive, there are a lot of turnouts with incredible views. If someone in your party is scared of heights, tell them to hold on to their hats, the road follows the peaks around the caldera and must be close to a thousand feet above the lake. The drop offs are almost sheer in some places.

Also, although it is a bit Southish for your trip, Ashland was a fantastic little town. Stay downtown and do a walkabout, it is really a wonderful place. It is home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival which includes several permanent theaters, one of which is a classic theater in the round. You could take in a play if you stopped.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 pm

With as much distance as you have to cover, I'm going to say you don't have time to fit Portland, Salem/Eugene, Crater Lake, the coast, and the Gorge in. The Gorge is out because it's furthest off your path, so plan another trip in the future. Crater Lake might be possible, but map it out and then decide.

I strongly argue that a 1 day drive up the coast will disappoint you with how little time you have to see everything.

I highly recommend planning an overnight stay somewhere and give yourself time to stop at viewpoints, visit beaches or lighthouses, and maybe take a short hike or two. Cannon Beach, Seaside, Newport, and Lincoln City should all be good places to look for hotels. Many of the smaller towns also have vacation rentals, but they usually have a 2-night minimum.

I think the aquarium in Newport is a great place to spend several hours, and there's numerous parks along the coast. If you want to go as far north as the Columbia river, there is a good Lewis and Clark visitor's center (Fort Clatsop) near there, and another historical site and state park at Fort Stevens, in addition to dining and variety of other activities in Astoria.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Oregon Coast, yes. My favorite town is Yachats (between Florence and Newport). Just south of Yachats is Cape Perpetua. I generally stay away from the Coast during the summer because that's when everyone else goes, so you may find the roads to be rather crowded and requiring patience.

Caution about Crater Lake. There are fires in the area and some of the roads may be closed at any time. I think it's too much of a drive for such a brief trip, but if you decide to go, be sure to check into fire/smoke closures.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Several recent threads on Oregon.

Don't go to the Dalles, but it is worth seeing the Gorge - at least as far as Bonneville and probably Hood River and the Fruit Loop.

IGoCougsI

Post by IGoCougsI » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Take the relatively little time to drive up the Gorge at least as far as Multnomah Falls. It is only about 35 minutes east of the airport (without rush-hour traffic). If you have more time, take the Historic Columbia River Highway to Multnomah Falls and stop, if you choose, at the several other waterfalls that are 3 to 5 minute hikes from the parking lot. I too wouldn't go out to The Dalles, but with bonus time would consider going out as far as Hood River to eat and see the windsurfing/kiteboarding.

Have a great trip!

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm

hoops777 wrote: Flying in to Portland on Friday 8/25 at 12:30 and leaving Wednesday 8/30 at 3:00.
Basic idea is to drive to Salem...
Go four days earlier and see the eclipse :shock:

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

daveydoo wrote:
hoops777 wrote: Flying in to Portland on Friday 8/25 at 12:30 and leaving Wednesday 8/30 at 3:00.
No. Don't. Word is that the roads will be jammed and there is little chance of finding a place to sleep. Even in Portland we are hearing warnings about traffic jams.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Crater Lake is too far and will be another trip.
I just started researching and I thought the gorge was at Dalles for some reason.
Sounds like we should stay one night somewhere along the coast.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 pm

My understanding is that you need to book reservations for Crater Lake months in advance.
Gordon

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Gerry
You should see what we expect in the zone of totality a bit north of Bend :wink:

For the OP: alas I think that any trip to crater lake is out during the short timeframe;
[ now, if they had instead started at the Eugene airport, I would have had them head to Eugene for the early time, then spend the night at crater lake. The next day would be off to the coast, staying at Florence, followed by the next day up the coast with the night at Seaside. Then back to Cannon beach (possibly going to Ecola park and see the elk), stopping at Tillamook to tour the creamery, and back to Newport-- then 20 to 99 and the airport out
{Yachats is very small with not that much versus either Florence or Newport, so I really don't see the excitement over it. We prefer Florence and the dunes and the restaurants in old town; just as we prefer staying on the boardwalk in seaside versus Cannon beach}

If flying into PDX, then head over to Seaside via 26 first
Then go down the coast -- Cannon Beach, Manzanita ( has a very nice overlook just north), Tillamook, Newport (stay there overnight). Next day-- down to Florence (dunes, old town, etc) then go 126 to Eugene ( stay there). Then either the pain of the I-5 or go inland into the wine country before hitting PDX. Then depending on where you stay it could be a short jog down 84 to Multnomah Falls and then back for flight out. ( alas no crater lake or mt hood , hood river, or the dalles due to time)

[that gives you two nights at the coast; also the area between Florence and Yachats usually has heavy fog in the morning but should burn off by the time you get there if you go south from Newport]

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 pm

GerryL wrote:
daveydoo wrote:
No. Don't. Word is that the roads will be jammed and there is little chance of finding a place to sleep. Even in Portland we are hearing warnings about traffic jams.
Oh, this will be true for any metro area near the path of totality. Spend some time in traffic! It's not a Seahawks game -- it's once-in-a-lifetime!

Sky & Telescope recommends Madras (Oregon) for easy freeway access.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Is the Oregon State Fair worth going to?
Should we go from Salem to Lincoln City and up the coast back to Portland or drive down to Eugene to Florence back up to Portland?
Also we are arriving Friday about 1 so I do not know which we should do first based on weekend traffic.I am assuming more traffic on the coast on the weekend.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 pm

I would book your hotels as soon as you have a plan. Even though you will not be there for the eclipse there will still be hoards of people in Oregon that are staying for a week or so after the eclipse.

I think a quick trip into the gorge is very doable. You will probably want to to be back in Portland the night before your return flight anyway so you could just go a bit past Portland to the Bridge of the Gods and stay the night there. As I recall there are only a few small hotels there so you would want to make sure you could get reservations. Your return flight is not until 3:00 PM so in addition to Tuesday evening you would have Wednesday morning then the Portland airport is right on the Columbia river at the end of the Gorge so you could get to the airport around lunch time and have plenty of time to catch your flight.

It would be best to drive the Historic Columbia River Highway Tuesday evening before sunset since I think that direction is better. You would also not be in a hurry to get to the airport since it can take a while to go that way. The sun will set late in Oregon at that time of year so the won't set until about 8:00 PM and there is should be a long twilight.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/portland-or

One of my favorite hikes is Beacon Rock. It is on the Washington side only a few miles From Bridge of the Gods. It is about 45 minutes up to the top and a bit strenuous but if you are up for that you could do that first thing Wednesday morning then go back to your hotel to clean up and go to the airport.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... ngton.html

hoops777 wrote:Basic idea is to drive to Salem and spend half a day or so at the state fair.
I think I went to the state fair twice when I lived in Oregon but I don't remember much about it. If there is something that is of specific interest to you there then that makes sense but if it is just something you picked because it is going on while you are there then you might want to reconsider.

Something that you could do instead in that area would be a take a short to moderate hike at Silver Creek falls where you take a trail that goes behind a waterfall.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... regon.html

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?d ... parkId=151

It would likely be pretty crowded on a Saturday so if you could get there the Friday afternoon after you arrive that would probably be better.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Hoops

The state fair in Veneta, west of Eugene, can be quite variable as I understand it ( with traffic to match). While I haven't been to it, I'm not sure it's worth it-- better to focus on the coastal locations.

The route I gave before, if you can get out to 26 early enough should be good. The toughest part is the 405 to 26 to past Beaverton ( often congestion through the tunnel and also recently the construction around Beaverton). After that it's rather smooth sailing all the way on 26 to seaside

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:57 pm

I don't think the state fair is that great. I've gone a couple of times but wasn't impressed and doubt I'll go back.
I would much rather spend that time on the coast.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 am

daveydoo wrote:
Sky & Telescope recommends Madras (Oregon) for easy freeway access.
They need to clean their telescopes. :shock: No freeways in or near Madras. And traffic will be a complete nightmare in that area because it is one of the best places (and most hyped places) to see the eclipse.

https://www.oregonsolarfest.com

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 am

IGoCougsI wrote:Take the relatively little time to drive up the Gorge at least as far as Multnomah Falls. It is only about 35 minutes east of the airport (without rush-hour traffic). If you have more time, take the Historic Columbia River Highway to Multnomah Falls and stop, if you choose, at the several other waterfalls that are 3 to 5 minute hikes from the parking lot. I too wouldn't go out to The Dalles, but with bonus time would consider going out as far as Hood River to eat and see the windsurfing/kiteboarding.
I second that, but if possible don't go on a weekend and early in the morning. We went this time last year on a Sunday morning and the parking lots at some of the falls were packed. We basically did a drive-by viewing of Multnomah.

I liked the Bonneville dam. Wouldn't go all the way to The Dalles.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:09 am

gkaplan wrote:My understanding is that you need to book reservations for Crater Lake months in advance.
Yeah, I think that is right. I have stayed in Klamath Falls.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 am

TravelGeek wrote:They need to clean their telescopes. :shock: No freeways in or near Madras. And traffic will be a complete nightmare in that area because it is one of the best places (and most hyped places) to see the eclipse.
This is right. I'm in Bend, just down the road from Madras, and I'm not gonna brave the horrendous traffic going up there. I'm sticking close to home.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 am

GerryL wrote: No. Don't. Word is that the roads will be jammed and there is little chance of finding a place to sleep. Even in Portland we are hearing warnings about traffic jams.
TravelGeek wrote: They need to clean their telescopes. :shock: No freeways in or near Madras. And traffic will be a complete nightmare in that area because it is one of the best places (and most hyped places) to see the eclipse.
They may not be LA freeways but there are plenty of big, high-capacity roads; we've driven them many times.

BH has spoken. If you're on the West Coast, do not try to see the eclipse because there will be traffic. :D "That place is so crowded no one goes there anymore!"

OTOH, I bet it'll be a super time to buy a CPO Toyota :sharebeer

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 am

daveydoo wrote:
GerryL wrote: No. Don't. Word is that the roads will be jammed and there is little chance of finding a place to sleep. Even in Portland we are hearing warnings about traffic jams.
TravelGeek wrote: They need to clean their telescopes. :shock: No freeways in or near Madras. And traffic will be a complete nightmare in that area because it is one of the best places (and most hyped places) to see the eclipse.
They may not be LA freeways but there are plenty of big, high-capacity roads; we've driven them many times.

BH has spoken. If you're on the West Coast, do not try to see the eclipse because there will be traffic. :D "That place is so crowded no one goes there anymore!"

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'll bet the OP is quite aware of the coming eclipse and if he was interested in joining the herd coming to see it, he would have mentioned that in his post(s). The fact that he has not, should be a clue. :idea: A million people converging on a relatively small,banded area will turn this place into a total zoo.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
daveydoo wrote:

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'll bet the OP is quite aware of the coming eclipse and if he was interested in joining the herd coming to see it, he would have mentioned that in his post(s). The fact that he has not, should be a clue. :idea: A million people converging on a relatively small,banded area will turn this place into a total zoo.
For weeks now the people who live in the eclipse "band" in Oregon are being warned to "shelter in place." Stock up on food and be sure your gas tank is full by Friday, they are being advised. That, and the stories of people who made hotel reservations over a year ago and found that the reservations had been cancelled and/or the prices jacked up. It's almost like a mini Y2K here.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

hoops777 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.
Crater Lake is too far and will be another trip.
I just started researching and I thought the gorge was at Dalles for some reason.
Sounds like we should stay one night somewhere along the coast.
The Dalles is in the gorge, near the eastern end, but it's not a compelling destination in its own right. It's a small rural city and the county seat. It's a possible place to stay during a visit, but Hood River is more popular for tourists.

A future visit to the Gorge would also pair well with seeing either Mt. Hood and the surrounding area, or Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Well, not only are they not 12-lane LA freeways, they aren't freeways at all. There is a definition for freeway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway

Madras is at the intersection of US Hwy 26 and US Hwy 97. Neither of those is a "controlled access highway". They both go through the middle of town, with traffic lights and intersections. Beyond town boundaries, both are mostly two lane highways with occasional passing zones, with unrestricted access to adjoining properties and cross roads. No clover-leaf on/off ramps. Hwy 26 goes through the Warm Springs reservation (45 mph zone) and then through the Cascades near Mt. Hood towards Portland. Both highways are notorious for frequent severe accidents (often head-on collisions), leading to extended road closures. On normal days these roads are more than sufficient for the amount of traffic you will find. On weekends you will find a lot of RV traffic. My hope is that Eclipse traffic will be so slow that there is actually very little chance of severe accidents. Getting an ambulance to an accident site will be a challenge. Current forecast for travel from Sunriver (south of Bend, outside the zone of totality) to Madras on Eclipse morning is 6 hrs. That's about 6x the normal travel time. It will be interesting to watch the Blue Box Pass webcam for the traffic pouring into Central Oregon over the pass. Except that it probably won't work if it uses a cellular data network :)

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm

We had a wonderful trip to OR staying 5 nights, just as OP's schedule allows. Skip Portland, head west, spend a day or two traveling south along the coast. Visit the lighthouses, enjoy the views and several hikes. Farther south, head inland and see Crater Lake. It is not too far, and the drive to Crater from Roseburg is awesome. Spend half a day or so at Crater, then head north to Bend. Visit Bend and then go to Mt Hood for a few hours. North to Hood River and along the Columbia to see the waterfalls and the fish ladders. West to PDX for departure. Yes, you have time to do all of this if you keep moving and don't shop or spend too much time dining.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 pm

GerryL wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
daveydoo wrote:

For weeks now the people who live in the eclipse "band" in Oregon are being warned to "shelter in place." Stock up on food and be sure your gas tank is full by Friday, they are being advised. That, and the stories of people who made hotel reservations over a year ago and found that the reservations had been cancelled and/or the prices jacked up. It's almost like a mini Y2K here.

Sheltering in place sounds like good advice.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm

I haven't seen so much apocalyptic prediction around an eclipse since, well... :D . Maybe all of you "sheltering in place" can at least make some loud noises to scare the dragon away.

I have to stop being baited by non-financial stuff here. :D I made my posts for the benefit of other readers and not just the OP -- I'm guessing he/she knows about the eclipse, too. But many people don't know where it is in relation to their travel destination -- that is, one could be closer than expected. Really appreciate the dictionary definition of a freeway :D . Comparing this to Y2K? That was a big nothing, right? Do some people not expect the eclipse to happen?

All these negative posts make me optimistic that enough sheeple will stay home in their AC that the rest of us can actually get to see the eclipse. If I'm parked on a freeway and have to run five miles along the shoulder to get to the zone of totality, that's what I'm going to do. I would not do that for the Superbowl or a Toyotathon. BHs say that life is about "experiences" and not "things." This is what "experiences" means, I think. Not planning to get high or mystical -- this is one of the most spectacular of all natural phenomena. By all means, if the prospect of traffic is terrifying, do not venture out.

But some of these posts make me think you'd miss the Second Coming because, y'know, traffic. :D

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Here is what I know.
1-We are going to drive 60 miles to Hood River and back to Portland for one day.
2-We are going to drive the coast from Florence to Seaside and will be going through Salem and Eugene.Since we will be probably doing this on the weekend not sure if we should go down the coast and back up through Eugene/Salem or vice versa.
3-My wife wants to spend time in Portland.
I guess we could just stay in Portland day one on Friday with 1:00 arrival and do the Hood River on Saturday or we could do the Hood River on Tuesday,our last day.Any suggestions traffic wise and crowd wise?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Here is what I know.
1-We are going to drive 60 miles to Hood River and back to Portland for one day.
2-We are going to drive the coast from Florence to Seaside and will be going through Salem and Eugene.Since we will be probably doing this on the weekend not sure if we should go down the coast and back up through Eugene/Salem or vice versa.
I guess we could just stay in Portland day one on Friday with 1:00 arrival and do the Hood River on Saturday or we could do the Hood River on Tuesday,our last day.Any suggestions traffic wise and crowd wise?
Traffic is horrendous in and around Portland +/- 2hr either way of rush hr, especially Friday. Do you have a specific places you want to visit in Portland? Crowd wise I would avoid any weekend day at places like Multnomah falls as you will be lucky to find a parking spot. The beaches will be packed on weekends as well. Weekdays are much better at the beach.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Here is what I know.
Traffic is horrendous in and around Portland +/- 2hr either way of rush hr, especially Friday. Do you have a specific places you want to visit in Portland? Crowd wise I would avoid any weekend day at places like Multnomah falls as you will be lucky to find a parking spot. The beaches will be packed on weekends as well. Weekdays are much better at the beach.
So maybe go to Hood River on early Friday afternoon,stay in Portland on Saturday and head to the coast on Sunday?If we drive down through Salem and stay in Eugene on Sunday maybe the traffic will be ok and then we can spend Monday/Tuesday driving back up the coast.
You guys are making Oregon traffic and crowds sound like Times Square.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Just my opinion: if you're going to spend an entire day in Portland, you may want to come up with a list of things you specifically want to see and do. It's not a city that's fun to walk around aimlessly with no plan. We were told by several people to keep our expectations low, and they were correct.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:19 pm

climber2020 wrote:Just my opinion: if you're going to spend an entire day in Portland, you may want to come up with a list of things you specifically want to see and do. It's not a city that's fun to walk around aimlessly with no plan. We were told by several people to keep our expectations low, and they were correct.
Tastes vary. I live in the area and sometimes like to spend a day downtown roaming around. Last month I went to the south part of the city and rode the airial tram up to "pill hill" and back down. River walks. The new Tillicum Bridge -- no cars, just bikes, peds and transit. Warning: Pioneer Courthouse Square (aka Portland's Living Room) is being renovated and is mostly inaccessible.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm

GerryL wrote:
climber2020 wrote:Just my opinion: if you're going to spend an entire day in Portland, you may want to come up with a list of things you specifically want to see and do. It's not a city that's fun to walk around aimlessly with no plan. We were told by several people to keep our expectations low, and they were correct.
Tastes vary. I live in the area and sometimes like to spend a day downtown roaming around. Last month I went to the south part of the city and rode the airial tram up to "pill hill" and back down. River walks. The new Tillicum Bridge -- no cars, just bikes, peds and transit. Warning: Pioneer Courthouse Square (aka Portland's Living Room) is being renovated and is mostly inaccessible.
Which is why it's good to plan - book lovers probably want to visit Powell's, beer lovers can spend all day pubcrawling, garden lovers will want to visit the rose garden and various Asian gardens, the spiritual may want to see the Grotto, etc.

senior83

Post by senior83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm

daveydoo wrote:Oh, this will be true for any metro area near the path of totality. Spend some time in traffic! It's not a Seahawks game -- it's once-in-a-lifetime!
It's not "spending some time in traffic." It's north of one million people from out of state converging on a strip of land 60 miles wide. Emergency services are making arrangements to bring extra staff in from surrounding states. Hospitals in the area have cleared their operating rooms in some cases due to expected emergencies. People are being asked to take at least 3 days of medications with them. Mobile providers are bringing in temporary cell towers in the bigger gathering spots and still warning people that service will be spotty at best. And the fire danger here is currently "extreme" - to wit, Portland has been covered with smoke for almost two weeks now. I was out right on the flank of Mount Hood at Government Camp this weekend and you could not see the top of the mountain the smoke was so thick.

I thought "hey, maybe I'll get up at 3am, drive in with a full cooler of water and food etc, watch the eclipse, then hunker down in the car til 10pm or so and drive back." The general consensus is that if I were planning to get up at 3am an extra day in advance and drive back at 10pm an extra day after, it might go well.
daveydoo wrote:All these negative posts make me optimistic that enough sheeple will stay home in their AC that the rest of us can actually get to see the eclipse. If I'm parked on a freeway and have to run five miles along the shoulder to get to the zone of totality, that's what I'm going to do. I would not do that for the Superbowl or a Toyotathon. BHs say that life is about "experiences" and not "things." This is what "experiences" means, I think. Not planning to get high or mystical -- this is one of the most spectacular of all natural phenomena. By all means, if the prospect of traffic is terrifying, do not venture out.
See above. Anyway, do everyone a favor and pack three days of food, water, and meds, so you don't cause problems for others by not doing your homework before an event in which the population of the entire state is expected to increase ~25% for a three minute show.
Nearing_Destination wrote:The state fair in Veneta, west of Eugene, can be quite variable as I understand it ( with traffic to match). While I haven't been to it, I'm not sure it's worth it-- better to focus on the coastal locations.
Did you mean Oregon Country Fair? Or is a state fair also in Veneta? OCF is done for the year, and anyway it's not anything remotely like a fair in the traditional sense.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Senior83

I was thinking it was one of the two, but didn't remember which--- I had spoken to those in Eugene, and had even looked at potential properties in the area around the lake (and didn't like the area versus other spots) {...and don't forget to stop at the Huckleberry Inn for the huckleberry ice cream next time you are at government camp ; we were up there the prior weekend}

As I'm in central OR ( above catdude) and in the zone of totality -- it's been drilled into everyone that you need to be prepared.
Yes, there are temporary cell towers, conversion of BNSF trucks that ride the railroad rails to sheriff and emergency vehicles, refrigerator trucks with extra food at stores and restaurants, ....and the list goes on.

The state national guard is supposed to have about 150 along with various vehicles for emergency (wildfire suppression, emergency evacuation if needed, etc).
As I was just in Madras a couple of hours ago, I can say the residents are very aware--- most hope it goes well but are concerned about the numbers and any, shall we say, less savory types that might arrive (there's only so many sheriff/police to control/manage that level of crowds).

We know we'll "shelter in place " with :beer (and wine) , BBQ, etc although it's possible that the crowds may find our area, which has been booked solid for about a year.
Last edited by Nearing_Destination on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm

I live in Goose Hollow just west of the Pearl District. I don't have a car, and I walk everywhere. It is a city in which it is fun to walk around, even aimlessly with no plan.
Gordon

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 pm

gkaplan wrote:
I live in Goose Hollow just west of the Pearl District. I don't have a car, and I walk everywhere. It is a city in which it is fun to walk around, even aimlessly with no plan.
I respect your opinion.

I love broccoli. Many people don't. And that's ok.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 pm

I would check the fire situation around Crater Lake--part of the Rim Drive was closed recently, so get good information before you go.

Portland has a lot of great sites. I think very interesting to walk in the downtown and near downtown areas--Washington Park, the Rose Garden, the Pittock mansion.

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry is across the river from downtown.

The coast is great. It is high season, so there may not be much for rooms left on the weekends. You might have some luck mid-week.

If you are into geology, Eastern Oregon has the Painted Hills, lava tubes, fossil beds.

There is a lot to do, but it depends what you are into.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm

daveydoo wrote:I haven't seen so much apocalyptic prediction around an eclipse since, well... :D . Maybe all of you "sheltering in place" can at least make some loud noises to scare the dragon away.

I have to stop being baited by non-financial stuff here. :D I made my posts for the benefit of other readers and not just the OP -- I'm guessing he/she knows about the eclipse, too. But many people don't know where it is in relation to their travel destination -- that is, one could be closer than expected. Really appreciate the dictionary definition of a freeway :D . Comparing this to Y2K? That was a big nothing, right? Do some people not expect the eclipse to happen?

All these negative posts make me optimistic that enough sheeple will stay home in their AC that the rest of us can actually get to see the eclipse. If I'm parked on a freeway and have to run five miles along the shoulder to get to the zone of totality, that's what I'm going to do. I would not do that for the Superbowl or a Toyotathon. BHs say that life is about "experiences" and not "things." This is what "experiences" means, I think. Not planning to get high or mystical -- this is one of the most spectacular of all natural phenomena. By all means, if the prospect of traffic is terrifying, do not venture out.

But some of these posts make me think you'd miss the Second Coming because, y'know, traffic. :D
Make sure and check back in to let all us sheeple know how you made out at the rapture. Oh and be sure and post lots of pics too, cause there won't be enough of them for us to see elsewhere. Why do I feel so used, so baited....gotta wash hands, sterilize keyboard. :D

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:27 pm

We went there a few years back and did a big loop - we spent a couple of days in Portland (lots to do there) - and after a few days (in the Portland riverfront Marriott - walking distance to a few good restaurants) we drove West until we hit the water and then made our way down the coast along 101. I think we spent a night in Brookings and a night in Crescent City then went down to Trinidad/McKinley area and spent a couple of nights so we could spend time in the Redwood National Park. Like you - I was trying to use Marriott Points but some of these towns only had crappier motel-ish properties (may have been a lower-end marriott property in one - but I think we had to pay for a Holliday-Inn or something on the beach in another) and, as I recall, there were no real restaurants in Brookings nor in Crescent City. So the scenary along the coast was really nice - just not a lot of good places to eat nor decent hotels. From there we drove inland to Crater Lake which I LOVED. Its now one of my favorite National Parks. We stayed right in the Crater Lake hotel with a window that looked right out on the lake. We did book many months in advance to get in there. Once again - no place to eat - accept for in the lodge restaurant itself which was quite good (but a bit pricey for what it was - and you had to make reservations every day or you'd be out of luck). After a few days hiking and relaxing around Crater Lake - we headed back up to Portland. I wanted to get out to Columbia Gorge but we couldn't fit it in (Seeing Redwood National Forest, Oregon coastlines, and Crater Lake were our priorities).

I'll tell you hoops - your roadtrip posts have me getting excited - I need to talk to my wife about what our next trip will be :)

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:We went there a few years back and did a big loop - we spent a couple of days in Portland (lots to do there) - and after a few days (in the Portland riverfront Marriott - walking distance to a few good restaurants) we drove West until we hit the water and then made our way down the coast along 101. I think we spent a night in Brookings and a night in Crescent City then went down to Trinidad/McKinley area and spent a couple of nights so we could spend time in the Redwood National Park. Like you - I was trying to use Marriott Points but some of these towns only had crappier motel-ish properties (may have been a lower-end marriott property in one - but I think we had to pay for a Holliday-Inn or something on the beach in another) and, as I recall, there were no real restaurants in Brookings nor in Crescent City. So the scenary along the coast was really nice - just not a lot of good places to eat nor decent hotels. From there we drove inland to Crater Lake which I LOVED. Its now one of my favorite National Parks. We stayed right in the Crater Lake hotel with a window that looked right out on the lake. We did book many months in advance to get in there. Once again - no place to eat - accept for in the lodge restaurant itself which was quite good (but a bit pricey for what it was - and you had to make reservations every day or you'd be out of luck). After a few days hiking and relaxing around Crater Lake - we headed back up to Portland. I wanted to get out to Columbia Gorge but we couldn't fit it in (Seeing Redwood National Forest, Oregon coastlines, and Crater Lake were our priorities).

I'll tell you hoops - your roadtrip posts have me getting excited - I need to talk to my wife about what our next trip will be :)
Sounds like a great trip but Crater Lake will be another time.The flight to Oregon from Calif is so short we will return again.If it was not for babysitting our grandson we would be out all the time :happy

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote: Make sure and check back in to let all us sheeple know how you made out at the rapture. Oh and be sure and post lots of pics too, cause there won't be enough of them for us to see elsewhere. Why do I feel so used, so baited....gotta wash hands, sterilize keyboard. :D
Guess your handle is meant to be ironic -- unless it's social climbing :happy . Enjoy the great indoors!

Pics are not the same. If you think that pics are a good substitute, I have a great money-saving tip for you on cars, homes, travel, relationships... :D .

Based upon my unintentional BH poll, it looks like I'll be the only one there...fingers crossed!

I may miss it -- my target area may be overcast that day. You can have the last laugh. This is such a strange forum sometimes. Cheers!

Coato

Post by Coato » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 pm

We drive the coast every few years.

Love the Yaquina oysters. It's a fun oyster farm to drive out to.

Great breweries: Pelican Bay, Rogue River, etc. there is a book with west coast breweries which we use there.

We loved all the bakeries up the coast. Greatful Bread was one. Another in Manzanita. Tillamook cheese is tasty. I wouldn't do the tour though. Brandon is a fun place too.

We usually camp but there are some nice B and B s...

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm

If the Valley is very warm +90, the central to northern coast up to 1/2 mile inland could be windy and cloudy. This will be like San Francisco, in the summer. Check the weather forecasts
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo