Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon?

Post by flyingaway » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 pm

I have started experiencing retirement (extensive) travel recently. Last year, I visited 10 countries. This year so far, 9 countries. Since all my travels are private (not work related), I do not check in luggage anymore. For short trips, I only use a backpack. I have been trying to optimize my carry-on stuffs and the laptop is a heavy item that I really want to get rid of.

Many functions of a laptop may be substituted by a smart phone. Here are some pros of a laptop.
(1) It is easier to read things on laptop, i.e., news, forums, blogs, and map and travel materials.
(2) Get hotels to print out boarding passes, travel documents with a flash drive, a laptop is easier. (Could e-mail them to hotel desks or use hotel's computers, but availability is not guaranteed.)
(3) It is easier to type e-mails with attachments on a laptop.

In theory, all the three things could be done with a smart phone, although a laptop makes it easier.

Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon? What might be the things (travel related) for which a laptop is essential?

Edit to add: (4) Transferring money between accounts may be best done with a laptop.
Last edited by flyingaway on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abner kravitz

Re: Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon?

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I don't travel with the laptop anymore. Sometimes I will bring a tablet, but usually just the phone. It's freeing to not have to lug the laptop around. My laptop is also really expensive, so I don't have to worry about theft.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Have always travelled extensively; now up to 80 countries. Haven't travelled with a laptop in at least 15 years, maybe more. I almost always take my iPad as well as my phone. much easier to read, check investments, etc. Travel docs, boarding passes best kept on phone. Who needs to print out boarding passes when you can use an app? For the shortest trips, phone alone suffices.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I stopped carrying a laptop on personal travel several years ago. I replaced it with a tablet. I could go with only a phone, but the tablet is much better for watching movies on planes or in the hotel room.

At home I rarely use my laptop anymore. I do most things on my tablet.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

flyingaway wrote: Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon? What might be the things (travel related) for which a laptop is essential?
Most of my travel is personal. I have a 13" MacBook Pro, but I don't take it anymore unless I know I will need to do work (or do personal "work"). I always take my iPad, which for "consumption" of content is generally easier than a laptop. I also carry a smartphone (Pixel), of course, but I don't see it as a sufficient solution for reading for extended periods of time (> 3 minutes).

In the past I used the laptop to backup photos while traveling. Nowadays I am accepting the risk of losing or corrupting the memory card in exchange for not accepting the risk of losing or breaking a $2k computer. On my most recent "once in a lifetime" trip a couple of years ago I used a smartphone solution to back up photos from the SD card to a USB stick. Cheap and lightweight. I will need to replace it now that I have a USB-C phone.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm with everyone else. For personal vacations/family trips I only bring the iPad.... for a few years now.

I bring my company issue laptop on work trips.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:47 pm

I never take a laptop. Maybe the tablet which will double as Kindle for a longer trip. About all I need is a quick email check once a day and sometimes the Google Maps. I never use the phone or tablet to access financial accounts. We are rarely gone more than a couple of weeks so there really isn't any need.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I always take my laptop during trips, but that's in part because all of my travel is work-related.

If I really needed to minimize the weight of my luggage, I would probably get a chromebook or some other ultra-thin laptop.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 pm

If my eyes were as good as they were when I was 20, I would totally depend on the smart phone. They aren't, so I will continue to use the laptop.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 pm

munemaker wrote:If my eyes were as good as they were when I was 20, I would totally depend on the smart phone. They aren't, so I will continue to use the laptop.
I had the same problem until I had my eyes replaced. It actually helped me cut loose from the computer altogether when traveling and focus on the trip.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 pm

My laptop weighs about 2 lbs, so sometimes I take it and sometimes I don't.

HOWEVER, I was recently on a trip to a foreign country with friends. One of them lost their smart phone in the airport. Another dropped their phone halfway through the trip and broke it. A third found out their smart phone was not really smart and they had no data plan for overseas.

It was somewhat amusing to lend my phone to the person who lost their phone so that they could call Lost&Found. They were asked "What's your phone number so that we can call you if we find your phone?" More funny was that when she got home, she drove her car away from a friend's house where it was parked when her friends were not home, but since she didn't have a phone to call and tell them that she did so and since they could not reach her by phone, they reported to the police that her car was stolen.

All this showed how one should have some kind of back-up plan (diversification) in case they lose their phone while traveling (or any other time).
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Last year we used the Kindle/phone on our trip to Peru. I/we have not lugged around a laptop for years (not needed for work; retired a decade ago).

This year, we're only taking our phones when we go to France next month. The only reason we took the Kindle was to watch local news, but now we have an app for that on our phones.

With the ongoing changes in security, the less I/we can carry is better these days...

- Ron

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm

iPad for everything. Haven't used a laptop in years. Boarding passes for the most part are digital now too. No need to print.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm

I've taken a few trips without my laptop recently, although I still generally take it.

When I don't have it, one thing that's a necessity for me is a hardware keyboard that I can use with my phone/tablet. I like to write travelogs and longer emails when traveling, and the touchscreen keyboards are too slow.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

ianferrel wrote:I've taken a few trips without my laptop recently, although I still generally take it.

When I don't have it, one thing that's a necessity for me is a hardware keyboard that I can use with my phone/tablet. I like to write travelogs and longer emails when traveling, and the touchscreen keyboards are too slow.
You can buy a keyboard for your phone:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... phone.html

I purchased a cheapo from China a few years ago and I keep it in my travel bag just for the reason you state. It cost me around $12 at the time. While it's not perfect, it's lagom (as the Swedes would say)...

- Ron

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:08 pm

I need a big screen for work, and have a desktop for that. When my laptop died last year, I almost ordered a new one, but then realized I can satisfy my computing needs either (a) on the desktop, (b) on my tablet, or (c) on my phone. Short travel, I use just my phone, and perhaps a print (yes, I'm still old school in that respect) of my itinerary or any directions. Longer travel, I bring my tablet along too. The laptop is extinct for me.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
flyingaway wrote: Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon? What might be the things (travel related) for which a laptop is essential?
Most of my travel is personal. I have a 13" MacBook Pro, but I don't take it anymore unless I know I will need to do work (or do personal "work"). I always take my iPad, which for "consumption" of content is generally easier than a laptop. I also carry a smartphone (Pixel), of course, but I don't see it as a sufficient solution for reading for extended periods of time (> 3 minutes).

In the past I used the laptop to backup photos while traveling. Nowadays I am accepting the risk of losing or corrupting the memory card in exchange for not accepting the risk of losing or breaking a $2k computer. On my most recent "once in a lifetime" trip a couple of years ago I used a smartphone solution to back up photos from the SD card to a USB stick. Cheap and lightweight. I will need to replace it now that I have a USB-C phone.
As to photos try google photos.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 pm

munemaker wrote:If my eyes were as good as they were when I was 20, I would totally depend on the smart phone. They aren't, so I will continue to use the laptop.
I use my Nook HD+. It has a feature to adjust font size. It is, of course, much smaller and lighter weight than a laptop, although bigger than a smart phone. It fits in my rather large pocketbook.

With a large enough screen for a laptop, I haven't used a desktop pc for years.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:16 pm

I also stopped traveling with a laptop years ago. I've been bringing a tablet with me instead. Went on a 4 country European 3 week trip last year with just the tablet to plan out my itinerary. Did not miss the laptop.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:23 pm

flyingaway wrote: In theory, all the three things could be done with a smart phone, although a laptop makes it easier.

Do you plan to ditch your laptop in travel soon? What might be the things (travel related) for which a laptop is essential?
I never take my laptop anywhere. I had an iPad for years, but sold it because it didn't get much use. If I need to get online, I use my iPhone or I find a computer wherever I'm at. One of the things I really enjoy about being away is disconnecting and getting away from everything for a little while, so unless it's an urgent matter, I usually don't even bother getting online.

Good work on paring down your luggage! Light packing is an obsession of mine; I've gone away for an entire month with just a single backpack. If you're looking for tips to lighten your load even more, I recently started writing on this subject if you're interested: http://www.liteadventurer.com

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Since my laptop is attached to me 60 hours a week when working and traveling for work - one of the things i like about vacation travel is not having to have one with me. In some cases I have chosen to bring one with me but only for viewing digital photography if that is one of the key parts of my vacation.

Are there any airlines that don't have smartphone apps I wonder? (Maybe some lessor known international?). Not that I'm aware - having boarding pass within the app means there is no need to print or retrieve with a laptop. The apps have really gotten great the last couple of years - you check-in, change seat assignments, get boarding pass, check upgrade lists, etc. all right from the app. (Even after you have your boarding pass some will allow you to change your seat - and some allow you to do so pretty close to boarding time - I have managed to score a much better seat as others get upgraded and such). Using the laptop versus the smartphone has become more cumbersome (unless there are some international airlines I'm not aware of that haven't caught up with the times).
Similarly with your #4 - transferring money between accounts - I find my bank apps work just as well as the laptop so I don't agree with you there either.

I would agree that looking at maps and other travel materials may be better with a larger laptop screen - I suppose if you do that often you could get a tablet.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 pm

livesoft wrote:My laptop weighs about 2 lbs, so sometimes I take it and sometimes I don't.

HOWEVER, I was recently on a trip to a foreign country with friends. One of them lost their smart phone in the airport. Another dropped their phone halfway through the trip and broke it. A third found out their smart phone was not really smart and they had no data plan for overseas.

It was somewhat amusing to lend my phone to the person who lost their phone so that they could call Lost&Found. They were asked "What's your phone number so that we can call you if we find your phone?" More funny was that when she got home, she drove her car away from a friend's house where it was parked when her friends were not home, but since she didn't have a phone to call and tell them that she did so and since they could not reach her by phone, they reported to the police that her car was stolen.

All this showed how one should have some kind of back-up plan (diversification) in case they lose their phone while traveling (or any other time).
My backup plan is to make sure my wife doesn't forget her phone at home before we leave - and sounds like your friend's backup plan was you.
The international data plans do scare me - I was paying for an international plan and find out it didn't work until I landed - that's not fun. It's not like you can test your connectivity until you get there (if there is a way to do this - someone please let me know!).

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:44 pm

DaftInvestor wrote: The international data plans do scare me - I was paying for an international plan and find out it didn't work until I landed - that's not fun. It's not like you can test your connectivity until you get there (if there is a way to do this - someone please let me know!).
I have the T-Mobile One plan. International data (at 2G speed) is included. However, most folks report normal 3G while international.

Additionally, T-Mobile is a division of Deutsche Telekom (Germany). When we were there a few years ago, it was like I was back in the US. Not even a charge for telephone calls back home.

- Ron

zeep

Post by zeep » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm not approaching retirement, so sometimes need to compose emails even while on vacation. I find composing emails on my phone and aging tablet to be frustrating, so generally take a laptop. Perhaps that might be addressed with a newer, faster tablet but with phones growing in size I'm not sure whether tablets are the best or worst of both worlds.

I have considered replacing my heavy Windows Laptop with a light MacBook.

Another option worth considering is a Google Chromebook if you can live with cloud storage. They are inexpensive and relatively light. For many users, a Chromebook may provide more function and a better typing experience than a phone or tablet with lower weight, cost, and maintenance hassle than a full laptop.

I'm torn between the value proposition of the Chromebook and the fact that I otherwise live in the Apple ecosystem.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm

zeep wrote: I have considered replacing my heavy Windows Laptop with a light MacBook.
... Google Chromebook ...
You don't have to switch OS's to lighten up.
There are many Windows laptops available today that weigh the same (or less) as compared to a MacBook.
SSDs, lighter-weight batteries, not-needed DVD-drive, ... have all made this possible.

rav2fi

Post by rav2fi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Actually I am thinking about ditching my laptop altogether and just relying on my phone and the tablet to do everything. The only dilemma I am facing is where to store all my files. I'd like to have them on the cloud but it'd need to be end-to-end encrypted. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but very tempted to.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

flyingaway wrote: Many functions of a laptop may be substituted by a smart phone. Here are some pros of a laptop.
(1) It is easier to read things on laptop, i.e., news, forums, blogs, and map and travel materials.
(2) Get hotels to print out boarding passes, travel documents with a flash drive, a laptop is easier. (Could e-mail them to hotel desks or use hotel's computers, but availability is not guaranteed.)
(3) It is easier to type e-mails with attachments on a laptop.

In theory, all the three things could be done with a smart phone, although a laptop makes it easier.

Edit to add: (4) Transferring money between accounts may be best done with a laptop.
I doubt I'll ever ditch the laptop. My phone can't do any of those things. On my 2G-capable "smart" phone, running Android 2.3.6, it's really only good for calling and texting, assuming I can get reception. I have a replacement phone sealed in a box waiting to replace this phone when it breaks, but that "new" phone is now coming up on two years old and was a roughly $150 phone back then (I got it for free).

I guess I've never been a fan of combining electronics. I still carry around an mp3 player, for Pete's sake. Phone is for calling; computer is for computing. So laptop all the way for travelling. Desktop only when at home.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:28 pm

OP here. In my original post, I did not mention tablet, as I consider a tablet is similar to a laptop, i.e., heavy stuffs. I was interested in knowing if a smart phone is enough for travel. I never had a tablet, but my wife has one and brings it in travel.

About the digital boarding passes, I did encounter at two airports this year, Morocco and Santorini, and with Ryanair, that paper boarding passes were required and printed in advance.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:32 pm

flyingaway wrote:OP here. In my original post, I did not mention tablet, as I consider a tablet is similar to a laptop, i.e., heavy stuffs. I was interested in knowing if a smart phone is enough for travel. I never had a tablet, but my wife has one and brings it in travel.

About the digital boarding passes, I did encounter at two airports this year, Morocco and Santorini, and with Ryanair, that paper boarding passes were required and printed in advance.
There are a few airports that require a printed boarding pass. Ryanair does allow mobile phone passes using their app.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
zeep wrote: I have considered replacing my heavy Windows Laptop with a light MacBook.
... Google Chromebook ...
You don't have to switch OS's to lighten up.
There are many Windows laptops available today that weigh the same (or less) as compared to a MacBook.
SSDs, lighter-weight batteries, not-needed DVD-drive, ... have all made this possible.
That's true to an extent. You can buy hardware at the same price. However, Windows will not run happily on the hardware that will easily run ChromeOS. You can even buy much, much cheaper hardware and take a low end Chromebook that is still quite useable and would never run Windows. You can pick up decent $200 Chromebooks. At that price you would be sad if it got stolen or broken but you wouldn't cry and it would easily replaceable. If what you want is to browse the web, send email, backup pictures from your camera to cloud storage, watch Netflix at night in the hotel room, update your social media friends on your trip, then a Chromebook is a great choice.

You may want to look at one of the ruggedized school models to take on a trip. It will be water resistant or proof, able to withstand falls, and just a bit more durable over all. Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C202S ... B01DBGVB7K

There is a plus to it as well that there is nothing there for border agents to search through whether that's TSA on your way back to the US or on entering foreign countries.

I am using a Chromebook in a mixed Android/Chromebook/Mac environment.
Last edited by Hyperborea on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Depends on the length of the trip. If over 4 or 5 weeks, I take the laptop.

Otherwise, I take phone and tablet. I've got all my files backed up to the cloud, so I can access them from my phone if needed.

I'm typing this on my phone, and it sure is irritating. I'll have to look into keyboard for phone

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I ditched my laptop years ago for travel. For very short trips (weekend), I typically rely on my phone. For longer trips I bring a tablet. If I had to do actual work, then that would be a different story. I took 5 international (pleasure) trips in the last year and didn't bring my laptop on any of them. One of them was a month long. I do have a keyboard case for my tablet though.

If there are apps on your laptop/desktop at home you really need to access, you can remote in from a tablet/Chromebook/Phone.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 pm

JBTX wrote: As to photos try google photos.
Right, that will work fine (once I get the USB card reader) when I am somewhere with a good Wifi connection. That "once in a lifetime" trip actually took us to the "middle of nowhere" in Namibia. I did occasionally had slow internet access at some lodges, but that was too slow (satellite?) and uploading gigs of data would have been impossible and/or expensive for the lodge or me.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm

flyingaway wrote:OP here. In my original post, I did not mention tablet, as I consider a tablet is similar to a laptop, i.e., heavy stuffs. I was interested in knowing if a smart phone is enough for travel. I never had a tablet, but my wife has one and brings it in travel.
Well, I don't find my iPad to be too heavy or big. And it lets me do a ton of things that I couldn't really do effectively on my phone:

- read Bogleheads (and other forums)
- read eBooks
- surf the web
- watch movies
- plan trips on map
- share photos with other people (e.g. If I visit family)

Yes, you can do these things on a phone.... but then why not take it a step further and just take your Apple Watch (when they come out with the cellular one) :)

(my phone, by the way, isn't one of those Plus sized phablets. I want it to comfortably fit into my pants front pocket)
There are some airlines that don't have mobile apps or support mobile boarding passes. But it is rare.

That said, I often get a paper boarding pass (either self-print at home or at a Kiosk) in addition to the mobile one. Why? To minimize the risk of becoming one of livesoft's friends by losing or breaking the phone. On many trips I have to pull out my BP four or more times. At the entry to the security line, at the security checkpoint, at immigration, at the lounge, at the gate, at the door to the plane, .... I would rather have my phone safely stored in a pocket in my backpack and not worry about juggling it with my passport, having to hand it to people, having the image rotate as I or they scan it, ...

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm

I take my ipad and phone. Ipad is easier to read a an and iphone is small, a 6. I use the hotel to print boarding pass. sometimes it is a pain because Yahoo will not let you access if it does not recognize your location. then i ask the hotel to print it for me.

I have a question about downloading your boarding pass to your phone. Once you download do you need wifi to get it on your screen to scan? I don't have a data plan on my phone, it is a a Tmobile cell only service. So I use free wifi wherever I can get it just to check email or text. Of course you can get wifi in airports.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Ipad is fine, but I like my Apple Air much better and not much more weight.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm

chabil wrote:
I have a question about downloading your boarding pass to your phone. Once you download do you need wifi to get it on your screen to scan? I don't have a data plan on my phone, it is a a Tmobile cell only service. So I use free wifi wherever I can get it just to check email or text. Of course you can get wifi in airports.
You need either wifi or data to initially check in and acquire your boarding pass. Once your boarding pass is on your phone in the airlines app, you don't need any external connection (phone, data or wifi), at least using the 5-6 airline apps I have. We just spent 2 weeks in Canada, and our phones were always off except for wifi. No problem at the airport.

Of course, if you get to the airport and haven't printed or downloaded your boarding pass, in most cases you can simply go to the check in counter or kiosk and get your pass. Only a handful of "budget" airlines (Allegiant and Ryanair are a couple) would charge extra for that service.

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm

I travel internationally a lot for work and generally bring my Microsoft Surface, which is a glorified tablet. I like it a lot. I used to bring my ipad but I find it a bit more limiting in terms of programs I can run. That probably wouldn't be an issue for a leisure traveler.

In terms of not bringing a laptop or tablet, I doubt that will ever happen. Even on vacation I find it helpful to look up directions, send emails, occasionally check news (I enjoy staying informed), etc. A tablet fits all these needs and is minimally intrusive.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 pm

No plans to ditch mine, although I don't always bring it for short trips. For a lot travel needs I could make do with a tablet that can support a keyboard (bluetooth or dedicated like the Surface tablets use).

I'm less likely to need my phone while traveling than my laptop. I actually forgot my phone on a recent trip. I didn't miss it at all, and I just called my wife using Skype.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm

I use:

Macbook Air 11"
iPhone w/ international data package

There's still plenty of things I prefer the larger screen and keyboard for. For me MacBook Air is easier than a tablet plus folding keyboard.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Since people have mentioned it (though slightly off topic), I never rely on a ticket on my phone. I had someone in front of me in the security line (before you go through the x-rays/metal detectors) with a barcode on their phone. It wouldn't scan after repeated attempts. The agent told the woman if it didn't scan, she needed to go and print a boarding pass. The woman objected and was told she was not getting through and they couldn't manually look/review it. Since then, I always print my boarding pass at home or get it from an airline kiosk.

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 pm

I don't even go away for the weekend without my laptop. But I hope that'll change when I retire. I'd like to travel with just my phone and a tablet then. I don't think I'll ever travel with just a phone. Even on vacation, I like to read, and respond to email, and I really prefer a bigger screen for reading and a keyboard for typing.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 am

I carry my iPhone and my iPad mini. This provides backup in case the phone is lost, damaged, etc. The mini has a durable bluetooth keypad/case, so heavy-duty typing is a breeze. Boarding passes on the phone are great, but I always have a printed copy in my backpack as a backup. Another thing to remember about electronic boarding passes - it's possible that internet connection won't be working when you're in line. My solution is to always take a screen shot of the boarding pass, so it's stored in photos and I'm not relying upon the internet connection. With some boarding passes, it's necessary to do two screen shots to get all the info.

Its also smart to carry one or two battery boosters of some type. My preference is the Mophie for the phone and a second small booster that works for both the phone and the mini. An extension cord for the USB connector is also helpful, so the booster can be stowed in a pocket or the backpack while it does its job.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 am

spectec wrote: Another thing to remember about electronic boarding passes - it's possible that internet connection won't be working when you're in line. My solution is to always take a screen shot of the boarding pass, so it's stored in photos and I'm not relying upon the internet connection. With some boarding passes, it's necessary to do two screen shots to get all the info.
My experience, with all of the apps I've used, is that once you check in (which obviously does require wifi or data), the boarding pass is resident on your phone and requires NO internet connection. That's the case for American, United, Delta, Iberia and Allegiant.

What airline app requires an internet connection to show your boarding pass in line?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 am

Obviously my phone is always with me, but despite being a phablet with a 5.7" screen (LG V20), I only like using it for quick stuff. For shorter trips (<3 days business, <1 week vacation) if I don't expect to be doing some hardcore work, I just bring my iPad in its keyboard case and that's more than sufficient. That also allows me to bring movies/podcasts/etc along for entertainment. For longer trips or where I know I'm going to be doing a lot of PC-based work, I'll bring my laptop. I just recently switched down to a 2.5 lb utrabook that still has a 13.3" screen, so it's actually not dramatically larger/heavier than the iPad/keyboard combo. But before that I carried a 3.5lb 14" model that was roughly double the size for about 3 years.

Going the opposite direction, I recently went on a 2.5 week trip where I knew I was going to be doing some heavy reporting/project planning, so I actually purchased and brought along a portable USB-C monitor so I could use dual screens while I was there. It all depends on your specific needs. I certainly won't bring it on most trips, but will if I need it, and my wife and I both use it extensively when either of us works from home.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 am

fillary wrote:laptop is unnecessary thing in the travelling, just take a cam and your phone
By "cam" do you mean camera? Most people no longer travel with a camera either as they have one in their phone. :happy

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 am

Last two trips were a hiking trip to the Smokies and an Alaska cruise. Both times I had only my phone and it was totally freeing not lugging either a tablet or my Surface pro around or worrying about theft.

So, from now on, it's phone alone.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

neilpilot wrote:
spectec wrote: Another thing to remember about electronic boarding passes - it's possible that internet connection won't be working when you're in line. My solution is to always take a screen shot of the boarding pass, so it's stored in photos and I'm not relying upon the internet connection. With some boarding passes, it's necessary to do two screen shots to get all the info.
My experience, with all of the apps I've used, is that once you check in (which obviously does require wifi or data), the boarding pass is resident on your phone and requires NO internet connection. That's the case for American, United, Delta, Iberia and Allegiant.

What airline app requires an internet connection to show your boarding pass in line?
Apps can fail. Lots of other things can go wrong. I admit, I'm a belt-and-suspenders type when traveling. A missed connection is far more problematic than a few extra seconds to do some layered backup. I keep a screen shot of my itinerary & boarding pass in a dedicated photo album. I also keep a picture of where I parked my car and a picture of my checked bag (if any) in there. When arriving at my destination, I add a picture of my stamped entry visa (this is critical). Everything is also air-dropped over to the ipad.

About the only way this setup fails is if I lose both my phone and ipad. But then there's the paper copy of the itinerary and boarding pass in my backpack. Also, some foreign airports won't even let you into the terminal without a copy of your itinerary, so that's reason enough to have layers of backup.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm

spectec wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

Apps can fail. Lots of other things can go wrong. I admit, I'm a belt-and-suspenders type when traveling. A missed connection is far more problematic than a few extra seconds to do some layered backup. I keep a screen shot of my itinerary & boarding pass in a dedicated photo album. I also keep a picture of where I parked my car and a picture of my checked bag (if any) in there. When arriving at my destination, I add a picture of my stamped entry visa (this is critical). Everything is also air-dropped over to the ipad.

About the only way this setup fails is if I lose both my phone and ipad. But then there's the paper copy of the itinerary and boarding pass in my backpack. Also, some foreign airports won't even let you into the terminal without a copy of your itinerary, so that's reason enough to have layers of backup.
Fine if all that makes you feel safer. I'm also a planner, but you have me beat. My reply was specifically to correct the false impression your post might give others that the loss of internet would prevent pulling up the boarding pass. Nothing more. No need to feel defensive.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

FWIW, I don't bring it on shot trips (like a week), except that if work could erupt then I bring that just in case.

For two-week trips, I bring it, because I have an interest in learning how to write software and fancy myself learning while on vacation, though that rarely happens.

If I were retired and doing the slow, perpetual travel I dream of, then I would bring it, again to learn how to write software and use that to keep my mind active. Plus, certain apps only run on a computer, like accounting software (quickbooks), TurboTax, etc.

I bring an iPad regardless, as I find it is better to have a screen bigger than a phone, for movies, reading, web browsing, etc.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.