How to hide quicken files on laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pacific

How to hide quicken files on laptop

Post by Pacific » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Today I had to turn over my windows 10 laptop to remote to have the tech guy fix a problem with CrashPlan (actually, the problem was me in not realizing some of the data I needed was in the hidden folder ProgramData which was NOT backed up, but that's another story). The guy had access to my screen and it dawned on me that if he had wanted to and if I was not paying attention he could have opened by quicken program or copied my quicken files. Most of my sensitive info is kept in LastPass sites. Is there a way to easily hide just the quicken folder and maybe one or two others?

rkhusky

Re: How to hide quicken files on laptop

Post by rkhusky » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:56 pm

You can set a password in Quicken. You can store your Quicken files in an encrypted volume.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I keep all my data in a Veracrypt volume. The program is open sourced and free. In addition to MY data I have relocated the Firefox and Thunderbird profiles to this volume. If someone boots my computer they cannot access FF or T-Bird with my profiles.

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I keep my financial files on a thumb drive and swap it every so often with the one in my safe deposit box. You need to keep a copy off site in case the house burns down.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:20 pm

It's a really, really good idea to keep your backup disks or thumb drives offsite. My best friend had her house burgled, and they took all the tech toys - computers, cameras, and every single thumb drive and hard drive. She lost all her family photos, which of course were backed up to portable drives.... in her desk.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:24 pm

OP referred to Crashplan so I assume the files are backed up. Issue here is protecting the resident copy. Encrypt or don't keep a resident copy (e.g. keep "original" on NAS)
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Since this (I assume) is not a common occurrence, you could just move them to a flash drive temporarily or encrypt them with a free program like 7-zip. You could also rename them (change the extensions) and it would be harder, but not impossible, for them to easily find/open them.

If someone was going to be accessing your computer all the time, I would recommend other methods.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Thank you to everyone for the comments.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am

Set a password on the quicken file, this combined with your quicken ID will prevent the casual support personnel from gaining access.
As others have pointed out store the file on an encrypted USB drive add even more security.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin