T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
student
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by student » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:38 pm


Ron
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by Ron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

Just returned from the T-Mobile store after showing them documentation of my age. Rate is $60 for 2 lines, unlimited phone/text/data assuming you use auto-pay - which I've always done. Without auto-pay (direct bill) the rate is $70.

What will I do with the extra $480/year I'll be saving :greedy ?...

- Ron

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:52 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

First time I had to give my ID to prove my age in a while. Plan has advantages over our old plan too.

Figured with 3.3% Safe Withdrawl Rate - this is equivalent to $30,000 in savings required to retire.

$60/month - two lines - unlimited data - unlimited tethering on 3G.

Image
Last edited by HoosierJim on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by prudent » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Did you get new phones there?

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Used our existing paid off phones. They offer new phones as well as upgrades to our existing. About 3 months ago, I gave up my Windows Phone that I paid $35 for and got about 4 years out of and went up to a Google Pixel - so I should be good for 5 more years on my Pixel- wife has Iphone 6 so no need to upgrade.

Ron
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

I only saved $480/year since I already was using their T-Mobile "One" plan (2 phones, unlimited phone/text/data plus all taxes/fees included) for $100.

I signed up this week after "student" posted a notice on this board.

We leave in early September for our trip to France. Normally, I would get a T-Mobile data pass for our Euro trips, but since unlimited data is included (at a minimum of 2G) I'll forgo the extra expense. If things don't work out, I'll just use the Wi-Fi on the riverboat.

BTW, this is the second time I've changed programs with T-Mobile in the last year, since they've been offering new/better plans along the way.

- Ron

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Here's a Forbes article about the new plan that started a few days ago. There is a link to a funny youtube by the T-Mobile CEO showing how older people aren't respected by other carriers but welcome at TMobile.

T-Mobile Has A Good Deal And Respect For Baby Boomers 55 And Up

Legere makes fun of those oversized feature phones marketed at old people, pointing out that they're fine for some folks but that most baby boomers want a phone that can do a lot more.

T-Mobile CEO respects BOOMERS

Now I just have to find out why there's no dial tone on my Pixel. :wink:

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Ron wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm
I only saved $480/year since I already was using their T-Mobile "One" plan
We were on AT&T since cell phones were invented so a lot of good all that customer royalty did us. Going to try to be more proactive in switching brands if we are ignored in the future.

Nicolas
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by Nicolas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm

We pay about $13/month for two lines on Tracfone. Not unlimited, but we don't need it. We have more than enough minutes, texts, and data, and our coverage is good.

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm
We pay about $13/month for two lines on Tracfone.
I need unlimited data for business reasons.

runner3081
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Haven't paid for cell phone service in nearly 1.5 years for my wife and I :)

On a more related note, this was posted here before. viewtopic.php?t=225305

Called my dad and he signed up, very simple and their bill was cut in about half.

Ron
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm
We pay about $13/month for two lines on Tracfone.
I need unlimited data for business reasons.
We're both retired but still use data fairly heavily on our individual phones, averaging 6-8GB per month. Under the old plan we had early last year, we were limited to 2GB before overages started.

Since going to the One plan (with unlimited data) we've been doing a lot more streaming using the phones. For instance, using one of our phones as a hotspot, we were able to see our local news via an app on my wife's Kindle while out of the country last year. I've also got into the habit at looking at shows recorded on our DVR using the Dish Anywhere app which allows me control of the DVR anywhere my phone can get data access.

Since I'm no longer limited by data usages, I (along with my wife) seem to be finding new ways to use that bandwidth.

- Ron

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Steps to make tethering more acceptable if on 3G.

1. Always run ad-block - use the ALLOW for limited sites you want.
2. Turn off images (most bloated sites are loaded with click-bait) In Chrome - goto SETTINGS --> type "images" into the search and turn off images.
3. Try using html email - I use gmail html

Some people may be able to get rid of their home internet if you are a light user - Going to suggest this to MIL since no streaming and limited internet usage - would allow getting rid of phone & home internet (time to finally cut the cord)

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47393
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I merged HoosierJim's thread into here. I would have done this sooner. But... first things first. I immediately drove to my local T-mobile store and changed my plan. :D

I haven't been carded in quite some time. Now, I feel old. :annoyed

Here's the site link: T-Mobile ONE for Age 55 Plus | 2 Unlimited Lines for $60/Mo. For Life

And the CEO's youtube spoof: Get ready for #Unlimited55! - Caution: Not Safe For Workplace language

The store I went to was a 3rd-party reseller, not corporate T-Mobile. Apparently, T-Mobile has quite a number of 3rd-party reseller stores.

From the sales person directly - you must present a physical ID in a physical store. It can't be done online, regardless of what the web site says. Maybe that's for reseller stores, not corporate - I don't know. All the guy did was check the date on my driver's license. He did have to call tech support for help, so T-Mobile took care of changing the plan directly.

The plan will change at the next billing cycle.

I'm saving $30 / month over my former MegaEmployer's employee discount plan. I've changed employers since then, so it was a matter of time before the plan goes up $10 to its non-discounted price.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dcb
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: Southwest Michigan

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by dcb » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:50 pm

This plan looks great. Even better than 'senior friendly' Consumer Cellular plans. A somewhat equivalent Consumer Cellular plan (unlimited minutes, unlimited messages, and 5gig data and 2 lines) is $80 plus a whole bunch of taxes and fees. Looks like I could save around $30/mo with t-mobile plan.
Wonder if this will spur a price war for the over 55 business?
dcb

keaton
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by keaton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm
Used our existing paid off phones. They offer new phones as well as upgrades to our existing. About 3 months ago, I gave up my Windows Phone that I paid $35 for and got about 4 years out of and went up to a Google Pixel - so I should be good for 5 more years on my Pixel- wife has Iphone 6 so no need to upgrade.
Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 does not have band 12 (700mhz) for t-mobiles extended LTE network. For me, switching from the 6 to 6S helped a lot in select areas. The Pixel is fine though.

tombauer
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by tombauer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Did it Saturday, 2 limes for me and my wife $70 and they ported my old phone numbers. When I called Verizon for my account number, they wanted to try and match this offer instead of canceling our account. They had no answer when I asked them why, as we were good long-time customers, didn't they reach out to us with a better offer earlier. They said it was up to us to call them-- don't think they would have matched this offer.

keaton
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by keaton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:29 pm

tombauer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm
Did it Saturday, 2 limes for me and my wife $70 and they ported my old phone numbers. When I called Verizon for my account number, they wanted to try and match this offer instead of canceling our account. They had no answer when I asked them why, as we were good long-time customers, didn't they reach out to us with a better offer earlier. They said it was up to us to call them-- don't think they would have matched this offer.
Thats normal, how are you at $70? did they charge you for sim cards?

User avatar
dual
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by dual » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm
We pay about $13/month for two lines on Tracfone.
I need unlimited data for business reasons.
Other than "business reasons," I am curious how people use so much data. I am like Nicolas. We have 2 cellphones-one uses the H2owireless $10 for 3 months plan and the other the "RealMobile $10 for 4 months plan and we always have $$ left at the end of the periods.

Do people sit around and stream videos on their phones?

Just curious whether I am missing out on some great application of cellphones.

student
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by student » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:11 pm

keaton wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:29 pm
tombauer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm
Did it Saturday, 2 limes for me and my wife $70 and they ported my old phone numbers. When I called Verizon for my account number, they wanted to try and match this offer instead of canceling our account. They had no answer when I asked them why, as we were good long-time customers, didn't they reach out to us with a better offer earlier. They said it was up to us to call them-- don't think they would have matched this offer.
Thats normal, how are you at $70? did they charge you for sim cards?
I think it is $70. Then after signing up for autopay, it becomes $60.

keaton
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by keaton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:27 pm

dual wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 pm
HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm
We pay about $13/month for two lines on Tracfone.
I need unlimited data for business reasons.
Other than "business reasons," I am curious how people use so much data. I am like Nicolas. We have 2 cellphones-one uses the H2owireless $10 for 3 months plan and the other the "RealMobile $10 for 4 months plan and we always have $$ left at the end of the periods.

Do people sit around and stream videos on their phones?

Just curious whether I am missing out on some great application of cellphones.
For me personally, the phone is my internet, I have no WiFi where I live. So yes, streaming Netflix, Spotify, work related research, and so forth.

whodatheads
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by whodatheads » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

so $60 for two lines. Does the users of the two lines has to be both >55? I'm >55 but my son is 25.

Ron
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 pm

whodatheads wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm
so $60 for two lines. Does the users of the two lines has to be both >55? I'm >55 but my son is 25.
No, just the primary account holder.

- Ron

neilpilot
Posts: 1814
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by neilpilot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Is there an option to have a 3rd line?

Ron
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:01 pm
Is there an option to have a 3rd line?
Not under the One 55+ plan. The T-Mobile site recommends the standard One plan for those that need more phones. See https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobil ... 5SGJSG9625 for details.

- Ron

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm thinking of having one of my kids on an account with me and H on a different account with the other kid. This way, it will be $120 for the entire family, which is less than we are currently paying for the 4 of us. Both H and I are over 55 but of course our kids are both well under 55. ;)

TIAX
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by TIAX » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:17 pm
I'm thinking of having one of my kids on an account with me and H on a different account with the other kid. This way, it will be $120 for the entire family, which is less than we are currently paying for the 4 of us. Both H and I are over 55 but of course our kids are both well under 55. ;)
Excellent idea.

whodatheads
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by whodatheads » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm

How does this promotion compared to Verizon's current unlimited plan? Unfortunately, the reception in our area are much better with Verizon.

LuigiLikesPizza
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:54 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I pay just under that amount for a single line via Consumer Cellular.....but it's something of a hassle dealing with the shifting rate plans and having to monitor it in order not to overpay. I think I need to look into this.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47393
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 pm

whodatheads wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm
How does this promotion compared to Verizon's current unlimited plan? Unfortunately, the reception in our area are much better with Verizon.
Do you have reliable Wi-fi access?

My cellphone switches to Wi-fi calling (phone over internet) when the connection drops, which is most areas in my house.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

whodatheads
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by whodatheads » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 pm
whodatheads wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm
How does this promotion compared to Verizon's current unlimited plan? Unfortunately, the reception in our area are much better with Verizon.
Do you have reliable Wi-fi access?

My cellphone switches to Wi-fi calling (phone over internet) when the connection drops, which is most areas in my house.
I have good wifi in my house but as soon as I walk out or anywhere in the city for the matter t-Mobile is no match.

topos
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by topos » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm
- so I should be good for 5 more years on my Pixel- wife has Iphone 6 so no need to upgrade.
eir
Not really... T-Mobile will soon deploy the 600 Mhz network which should provide significant range extension. The issue is that no phone currently on sale supports that frequency and they will never support it. New models coming this fall should start supporting it.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am

Well we switched and saved > $200/yr, plus no throttling of our speed. We now that two accounts--H and S and Me and D @$60/pair of lines.

HoosierJim
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm

The other benefit is - for the first time ever in the history of the universe, the price is quoted INCLUDING TAX.

student
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by student » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Don't forget free gifts every Tuesday. On the regular account, you can sign up for $10 discount if you use less than 2G per month. Is it available on this promotion?

Edit: Never mind. The $10 discount is not available. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33862

User avatar
rustymutt
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by rustymutt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Am over 55 and pay TM $70 a month just for one phone. I can now have 2 for less. Weird of them. :(
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

topos
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by topos » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm
Am over 55 and pay TM $70 a month just for one phone. I can now have 2 for less. Weird of them. :(
Only 8% of T-Mobile customer are over 55. T-Mobile hope to attract a lot more baby boomers with that plan compare to the discount they give to few of their existing customers. By the way, the discount is not automatic, the customer has to change plan. And T-Mobile expect also older customers to not use as much data as millenniums. In my opinion, a much smarter commercial plan from T-Mobile compare to Sprint one year free service!

protagonist
Posts: 5367
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by protagonist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 pm

A few factors not mentioned:
- Is a contract required?
- Can you bring your own phone or do you have to buy theirs?

I tried T-Mobile years ago in my area and the service was poor....lots of bad reception cf. Verizon or ATT networks. I pay $35/mo with Cricket on ATT, no contract, free call/text and 4 Gb/month which I have never exceeded. I think the better service is worth the extra $5/mo, particularly because I only have one line. And if you need a contract or need to buy their phone, the deal really isn't that competitive.

student
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by student » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 pm
A few factors not mentioned:
- Is a contract required?
- Can you bring your own phone or do you have to buy theirs?

I tried T-Mobile years ago in my area and the service was poor....lots of bad reception cf. Verizon or ATT networks. I pay $35/mo with Cricket on ATT, no contract, free call/text and 4 Gb/month which I have never exceeded. I think the better service is worth the extra $5/mo, particularly because I only have one line. And if you need a contract or need to buy their phone, the deal really isn't that competitive.
No contract is required. You can bring your own GSM phone. If you are happy with Cricket and you are not a heavy data user, then I think staying where your are is good since you only need one line.

neilpilot
Posts: 1814
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by neilpilot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:09 am

I'm considering switching from my AT&T family plan. It seems that there are the following advantages over AT&T (and Cricket?) beyond $ savings:
    • unlimited data
      ability to tether my iPad
      some free international services in Canada & Europe
      limited free GoGo inflight texts and internet

student
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by student » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:09 am
I'm considering switching from my AT&T family plan. It seems that there are the following advantages over AT&T (and Cricket?) beyond $ savings:
    • unlimited data
      ability to tether my iPad
      some free international services in Canada & Europe
      limited free GoGo inflight texts and internet
Yes. A number of my friends have used free international data in Europe and Asia. The speed is slow but good enough for email and text messaging. In Canada and Mexico, you get high speed data.

User avatar
dual
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: Just saved $1000 / year on mobile plan

Post by dual » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

keaton wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:27 pm

For me personally, the phone is my internet, I have no WiFi where I live. So yes, streaming Netflix, Spotify, work related research, and so forth.
OK, I can see that.

Is Wifi just not available or do you save $$ by not buying it?

I guess if you need to use a cellphone for data intensive applications away from home and you have a decent signal at your residence it makes sense.

I did some quick calculations and for me it does not make sense. I pay $40/month for internet and use an Obi200 for my home phone, which does not cost extra (so far). I use the H20wireless $9 for 3 months plan for my cellphone so my monthly charges are $43.

Admiral
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by Admiral » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 pm

As an aside:

TMobile's coverage, eh, I think the technical terms is "sucks" compared to Verizon and ATT. We've had them all, TMobile's was appreciably worse. Also slower. And we live in a big city. If you travel outside of metro areas, forget it. IMO their technical support is also horrible.

For us it wasn't worth it to save the 5 bucks or whatever per month. Your coverage in your particular area may be better, and YMMV, of course. But it is very frustrating to pay for service and not get it all the time. I can't tell you how many times my phone (Verizon) had 4-5 bars and my wife's (TMob) had 2. Including in our home.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 pm

We brought our own phones--OnePlus and unlocked iPhone 6s from Apple Store. For us, the coverage is fine. There is no contract. It's month to month and you are guaranteed $60 for 2 lines if you have it on auto-pay. There is supposedly no cap on usage and no throttling of speed. It reduced our bill of family plan for 4 lines with 6gb data on one line for $138+ to 2 accounts with 2 lines each for $120 total.

andyhere
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Cell phone data plans

Post by andyhere » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Just signed up with T Mobile. Two phones, unlimited everything. Service is $60 per month, including taxes. Only good for a two phone plan. One must be owned by someone over 55.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47393
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Welcome! I moved your post into the on-going discussion (here).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LSLover
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by LSLover » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Would be interesting to hear from someone who signed up for this plan switching from Verizon with the phones that are not paid off yet...

katnrica
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by katnrica » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm

The nearest T-mobile store (at the mall) said they would charge us $25 per line (so that's $100 for 4 lines, 2 accounts in the new 55+ plan) if we got the SIM cards at the store. (this is a "corporate" T-mobile store).

So, we called the T-mobile help line and learned that they also have kiosks at Costco.
two days later, we visited our nearby Costco store and the T-Mobile rep there got us switched out of AT&T and into T-mobile in less than 15 minutes.

And what's more, we learned that we are eligible for a switching bonus of $200 for 4 lines (will be issued in the form of a Costco gift card?) in about 14 weeks. Good riddance to AT&T and thank you T-mobile!

finite_difference
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by finite_difference » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Admiral wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 pm
As an aside:

TMobile's coverage, eh, I think the technical terms is "sucks" compared to Verizon and ATT. We've had them all, TMobile's was appreciably worse. Also slower. And we live in a big city. If you travel outside of metro areas, forget it. IMO their technical support is also horrible.

For us it wasn't worth it to save the 5 bucks or whatever per month. Your coverage in your particular area may be better, and YMMV, of course. But it is very frustrating to pay for service and not get it all the time. I can't tell you how many times my phone (Verizon) had 4-5 bars and my wife's (TMob) had 2. Including in our home.
Yeah unlimited data with 0 connection is 0 :) Infinity*0=0.

We had T-Movile then switched to Sprint and then to Verizon. T-Mobile had the best customer service of all 3 but unfairly in my opinion charged me cancellation fees. Sprint's network was slightly better than T-Mobile but had worse customer service. Verizon has the best network, its excellent, but [poor --admin LadyGeek] customer service. You can't win really.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: T-Mobile promotion for 55+

Post by Will do good » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:18 pm

student wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:09 am
I'm considering switching from my AT&T family plan. It seems that there are the following advantages over AT&T (and Cricket?) beyond $ savings:
    • unlimited data
      ability to tether my iPad
      some free international services in Canada & Europe
      limited free GoGo inflight texts and internet
Yes. A number of my friends have used free international data in Europe and Asia. The speed is slow but good enough for email and text messaging. In Canada and Mexico, you get high speed data.
We travel overseas a lot and T-Mobile's 2G-3G speed is more than good enough for emails, texting, maps.
The plan works well in South America, Asia & Europe for us.
Few of our friends works in the airline industry and says most/all of them are on T-Mobile, this way as soon as they get off the plane in a foreign country their phone works with text and slow data.

Post Reply