Buying a Vehicle the Old Fashioned Way

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ddurrett896

Re: Buying a Vehicle the Old Fashioned Way

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:03 pm

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote: inhale the aromatic fumes
That's the best part...

sco

Post by sco » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:03 pm

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
The Dan wrote:
warner25 wrote: ... Reminds me of when I drove to Oregon. I stopped at a gas station, hopped out to fill up my tank, and this guys runs over: "Sir please get back in your car, I'll pump it for you." I thought it was a scam. "No thanks buddy." "But sir, it's the law, I have to pump your gas for you." I asked him why such a stupid system existed, and he told me it provides many good jobs for people in his state.
Maybe it's just me, but I could never understand the heated(yes, I've seen people spontaneously combust over this topic) desire to pump one's own...gas. Personally, I consider it one of life's small luxuries to have someone do it for me. Saves me having to get out of my car in inclement weather, inhale the aromatic fumes, spill the frothy liquid on my hands and shoes, etc. etc. Back in the old days, there was this concept called a "service station", where a service was actually performed. Keeping a little tradition around isn't a bad thing either in my book. I do allow for the possibility that I am an elitist for having such thoughts. 8-)

Ah but back in those days there was a Self Service lane as well, so you had a choice... As opposed to a state mandated rule that "creates jobs".

I guess I'm older than you are, in my day there was no self service lane and somehow people took it in stride. I'm hardly against "choice" but I don't understand the animosity leveled on the requirement to have someone pump your gas. When I was in the Air Force, there were times when the pilots were chomping at the bit to get airborne, but not a one of them ever volunteered to take over the refueling duties. Just don't see the harm in having pump-jockeys, myself. If it's a major deal to you, then just avoid Oregon(I wish more people would :wink: ) and New Jersey, or come with a full tank.

It just animosity against the government for requiring it. It isn't like it is "free" to you.
If it were such a great thing the government wouldn't have to require it, competition would provide it...

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:05 pm

sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
The Dan wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I could never understand the heated(yes, I've seen people spontaneously combust over this topic) desire to pump one's own...gas. Personally, I consider it one of life's small luxuries to have someone do it for me. Saves me having to get out of my car in inclement weather, inhale the aromatic fumes, spill the frothy liquid on my hands and shoes, etc. etc. Back in the old days, there was this concept called a "service station", where a service was actually performed. Keeping a little tradition around isn't a bad thing either in my book. I do allow for the possibility that I am an elitist for having such thoughts. 8-)

Ah but back in those days there was a Self Service lane as well, so you had a choice... As opposed to a state mandated rule that "creates jobs".

I guess I'm older than you are, in my day there was no self service lane and somehow people took it in stride. I'm hardly against "choice" but I don't understand the animosity leveled on the requirement to have someone pump your gas. When I was in the Air Force, there were times when the pilots were chomping at the bit to get airborne, but not a one of them ever volunteered to take over the refueling duties. Just don't see the harm in having pump-jockeys, myself. If it's a major deal to you, then just avoid Oregon(I wish more people would :wink: ) and New Jersey, or come with a full tank.

It just animosity against the government for requiring it. It isn't like it is "free" to you.
If it were such a great thing the government wouldn't have to require it, competition would provide it...
No it isn't "free", it's a service so I expect to pay for it, and I'm happy to do so. I also pay taxes that cover a whole host of "required" services I'll never use, but unless they come up with an "ala carte" tax system, that's the way it is. Competition doesn't provide them(filling attendants), as evidenced in states that don't have laws similar to Oregon/New Jersey. Good luck finding a pump-jockey in those other states. I've lived in several of them, and the the station attendants (cashiers) would laugh in your face if you asked to have someone pump your gas for you. Anyway, I can find better use of my time than burning over a few extra pennies at the pump, or continuing on this thread.

sco

Post by sco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:

No it isn't "free", it's a service so I expect to pay for it, and I'm happy to do so. I also pay taxes that cover a whole host of "required" services I'll never use, but unless they come up with an "ala carte" tax system, that's the way it is. Competition doesn't provide them(filling attendants), as evidenced in states that don't have laws similar to Oregon/New Jersey. Good luck finding a pump-jockey in those other states. I've lived in several of them, and the the station attendants (cashiers) would laugh in your face if you asked to have someone pump your gas for you. Anyway, I can find better use of my time than burning over a few extra pennies at the pump, or continuing on this thread.

Interesting point, a lot of people get bent out of shape over a few cents per gallon of gas. Probably have no idea what this amount to in dollars per month but will drive all over town to save a few cents...

But the other states without the law, clearly show what choice the majority picked. It's to bad the majority doesn't have a choice in NJ or OR... its clearly not something that people value enough to pay for...

sco

Post by sco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:22 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
sco wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:

Interesting point, a lot of people get bent out of shape over a few cents per gallon of gas. Probably have no idea what this amount to in dollars per month but will drive all over town to save a few cents...

But the other states without the law, clearly show what choice the majority picked. It's to bad the majority doesn't have a choice in NJ or OR... its clearly not something that people value enough to pay for...

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:57 am

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
The Dan wrote:
warner25 wrote: inhale the aromatic fumes
We chemistry nerds read this totally differently than most people.

William4u

Post by William4u » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 am

lthenderson wrote:We chose the 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE w/ AWD with XLE Navigation package and All Weather mats throughout, MSRP of $40,500... He quoted me $35,500 which was the high side of the range above but with about $1000 in options (Nav and Mats) already included. I made an offer for $34k all cash if he threw in remote start and the $700 Scotch Guard interior, exterior paint and rust proofing protection. He had to go see his manager and came back for $34,200 with Nav, mats, remote start and the total car protection package and we shook hands and I made a deposit of $500. Total time spent was about an hour doing research and an hour actually at the dealership finishing the deal.
Is that price with or without TTL? If it is the OTD price that includes all TTL (taxes, title, license fees) then it is an appropriate price given the prices posted at siennachat.com and the fact that they are just about to sell the redesigned 2018 models with TSS-P and want to move the 2017s that lack TSS-P.

Some siennachat folks are reporting 2017 XLEs selling for $9000 under the MSRP... http://www.siennachat.com/forum/23-shop ... id-10.html

The dealers are getting some pretty big incentives to push those 2017s out.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:51 am
lthenderson wrote:Plus there is the added benefit of keeping my dollars local (i.e. sales associates commission) and the local dealer is a big donor for my daughter's private school.
I'm glad you're happy with your new van and the price you paid.

We used the online mass email method last year on a Toyota, and also received free oil changes and maintenance for 2 years. It's called ToyotaCare, and all Toyota owners get it. https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/toyota-care
A lot of business are doing PR type things that are really part of the advertisement budget. The payback they receive from these programs ("free maintance" and supporting local causes) is worth more than simply spending money on advertising. Some businesses used to do these things out of the kindness of their heart, while others offered free services are a way to get a competitive advantage. Nowadays, it's almost become a requirement, and they all pretty much do it, if only so they have something to say when those customers who care ask. There's no free lunch, so we're all paying for these expenses one way or another. I'm not saying it's good or it's bad, it just is.

FWIW, with Toyota, finding same or similar vehicles to do straight comparisons is made especially difficult by their myriad of options and thousands of different configurations. Again, a purposeful tactic to make comparison shopping especially difficult.

Most people want to feel they got the best deal and they're a special customer, and these companies like Toyota are delivering for the most part.