Need A New Verizon MVNO

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LifeIsGood

Need A New Verizon MVNO

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 am

I've finally had it with Puppy Wireless. Their customer service is terrible and I always seem to have a problem on the weekend. Unfortunately their plans and prices fit my needs the best. I use less than 100 minutes of voice per month and 200mb of data. My wife need 300 minutes of voice and 300-500 mb of data. Both are 4g iPhones.
So far Tracphone and Red Pocket seem to be the closest match.
Any other ideas or feedback? Thanks.

pochax

Re: Need A New Verizon MVNO

Post by pochax » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 am

check out total wireless:
https://www.totalwireless.com/wps/portal/home

and page plus:
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

disclaimer: i have no experience using either of them but you asked for verizon MVNO.

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 am

Total Wireless for about a year. I use the $25 a month unlimited talk and text and it's been fine- I purchased a 3GB data card in December and am still using it. I love that I no longer pay for data that I don't use. I think 3GB will last me about a year. On the other hand getting switched over was a pain in the neck- repeated efforts. A friend of mine switched over and had a similar experience. And, the website has never worked for me- I can't access my plan online and they couldn't fix that for me. I quit trying. So, I call an automated number each month and renew over the phone. That isn't a problem for me and overall I am happy. Reception in rural areas near me has been great. I absolutely have to have the Verizon reception in my area!

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 am

I've switched from PagePlus to Boom Mobile and so far have been happy there.

keaton

Post by keaton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:11 am

Totalwireless is pretty good, although I like Boom! Mobile as the tax is included in the total.

Puppy wireless is just a reseller of pageplus, which I believe got bought out by tracfone and now has overseas tech support. That was my primary provider for years, but they have been behind the times and poor to provide better plans.

When you say 4G iPhone? Do you mean an iPhone 4 or an LTE iPhone?

tj218

Post by tj218 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:29 am

In my limited observation Tracfone seems to have re-emerged as the leader for budget Verizon MVNO. The $15/mo plan includes 200 v/ 500txt/ 500MB . Occasionally I have to top off on voice minutes on that plan. The $20/mo plan is 300v/ 1000txt / 1 GB of data. So for $35/mo both of you can have your needs met. I can't believe people pay Verizon's inflated prices.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 am

keaton wrote:Totalwireless is pretty good, although I like Boom! Mobile as the tax is included in the total.
When you say 4G iPhone? Do you mean an iPhone 4 or an LTE iPhone?
LTE iPhone

keystone

Post by keystone » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 am

I've been using Page Plus for a couple of years now and it's worked great. However, customer service is not one of their strengths especially if you need to speak to a live person on the weekends. I've had much better success using the chat feature.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

I have Tracfone.

$125 for 365 days --- 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, 1.5GB data.
With your usage you will end up needing to buy another 1 GB for $10 and more minutes for another $80.

I rarely use minutes and mostly use data, so I paid $20 for 180 minutes + $60 for 365 days of service no minutes +$20 for 1 GB data.
I will end up buying more data next month.
Service for the entire year for me = $120.

gator1

Post by gator1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Toadandfriends wrote:Total Wireless for about a year. I use the $25 a month unlimited talk and text and it's been fine- I purchased a 3GB data card in December and am still using it. I love that I no longer pay for data that I don't use. I think 3GB will last me about a year.
+1. Same setup here. Can't go wrong with this setup if you don't NEED data.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I really like the idea of buying a block of data that doesn't expire in 30 days. I've searched Boom but can't find any info. RE: the cost of extra minutes or data if you go over your allotment.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am

LifeIsGood wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I really like the idea of buying a block of data that doesn't expire in 30 days. I've searched Boom but can't find any info. RE: the cost of extra minutes or data if you go over your allotment.
They don't tell you how much the top-ups cost. Someone with an active account will have to tell us or you can try chatting with them.

gator1

Post by gator1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 am

LifeIsGood wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I really like the idea of buying a block of data that doesn't expire in 30 days. I've searched Boom but can't find any info. RE: the cost of extra minutes or data if you go over your allotment.
I can't recommend Boom at all. I had a bad experience with them. I had brought over a lot of people to them(through here, Howard Forums, work, friends, and family). They said I was using too many voice minutes even though I was paying for unlimited talk & text. They sent me an email the night before my plan was going to renew that said they were removing me from Boom mobile due to using too many voice minutes. This put me in a bind as they were threatening to keep my phone number if I didn't port out the number by end of day the next day. I will never do business with them again. Total Wireless doesn't have good customer service but the service itself is better and the non-expiring data can't be beat. Total Wireless also offers a 4 phone family plan for $95 with 15gb shared data & unlimited talk & text.

Boom's data is 1gb for $15-$20 if I recall correctly and it expires in 30 or 60 days I think(Pricing could've changed as they recently updating a few things). Not a very good deal.

tj

Post by tj » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 am

Selectel has the best customer service for a verizon mvno

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:23 am

tj wrote:Selectel has the best customer service for a verizon mvno
This looks good except the two plans that would best fit my needs only have 50 MB of High-Speed Data per month. Then data speed will be reduced to 2G until the monthly plan cycle ends.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 am

FWIW, T-Mobile just released their newest plan (today) for those 55+. Covers unlimited talk/text/data on two phones for $60/month ($30 each) which also includes all taxes. Rate for plan without automatic payment is $70.

They are trying to get the AARP type folks on their network who are getting marketed for lower cost plans, and an area that T-Mobile was never good at penetrating.

I/we currently have the $100/month T-Mobile One plan (includes all charges for two phones) but I'll be going to my local T-Mobile store to present my proof of age and reduce my monthly bill by 40%.

Updated: Just signed up at my local store; new rate takes effect the end of the current billing period (in 3 weeks).

FWIW,

- Ron

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 am

I have a T-Mobile account for my iPad and find that coverage is very spotty in my area compared to Verizon.

student

Post by student » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 am

Are you a comcast customer? If so, you can get unlimited talk and text essentially free (using Verizon). They also give 100M data for free. See viewtopic.php?t=220754