Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alexa9

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by Alexa9 »

Supposedly Bose are the best at noise cancelling, although there are better headphones for audiophiles in the same price range such as the Hifiman HE400S Full-Size Planar Headphones. They make an airplane trip much more enjoyable. They are great when someone is vacuuming or blowing leaves (or you are), etc. making noise outside. The latest ones are bluetooth and have a lithium ion battery that cannot be replaced. Taking them off while wearing them in an airplane makes you realize how noisy it is. At $350, the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 are questionably pricy but they do a good job. Anyone else have experience with noise cancelling headphones? When do you use them?
Hyperborea

Re: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by Hyperborea »

I have heard the same claims about Bose's noise cancelling but I've never been able to force myself to buy them. The saying amongst the audiophiles has been, "If it's got no highs and it's got no lows, then it's gotta be Bose". Besides, I don't want to reward a company that has some pretty sleazy consumer practices. My parents paid a lot of money for a sub-standard Bose home theatre setup that once one piece went out became totally useless because they had their own proprietary speaker interconnects making nothing in the system usable with any replacement pieces.

My only real use case for the noise reduction is flying and for that I use a passive solution rather than active noise cancelling. I have a decent set of earbuds (Klipsch) and then use a set of Comply isolation tips. These provide a really good seal and I get a really large reduction in noise. This option has a bunch of plusses - it's cheaper, quality sound, small size (great for travelling), no power needed. Whatever ear buds you use with this make sure that they have volume control because sometimes the noise blocking is so effective that the lowest volume on the airline system isn't low enough and I've needed to reduce it further.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray
jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 »

I use mine for listening in noisy environments. I'm not an audiophile and quite often am listening to podcasts. The goal isn't fidelity it is comfort and effectiveness (like your airplane example). I've owned 2 pairs, both are expensive, both are fantastic. I've also heard the criticisms from audiophiles and while I don't have the best ear I don't find the sound quality to be breathtaking. So those criticisms ring true.

Say 10/10 for doing the noise cancellation. 8/10 or better on comfort. 6/10 or worse as great quality music headphones.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I used a pair of first generation over-the-ear to quiet office noise. They worked so well, I'd leave them on even without music to dull the hum of the AC, all the computers, and the talking. It was awful when the battery died and I couldn't use them for the rest of the day. I never got to use them on a flight. I'm old enough that the fidelity is fine.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I have a set of less expensive Bose over-the-ear (whatever Costco was selling), and a different set of off-brand noise-cancelling earbuds. The earbuds aren't quite as effective, but are a lot lighter for wearing. The combo works well for my wife and I; we will trade off every few hours. I only use them for flights over about 4 hours, but really like them for that. Older planes would really give me a headache and fatigue after long flights; the newest ones are somewhat better, but I still value the noise cancelling.

The cheap solution is foam earplugs; they also work to reduce fatigue on flights for me. I always keep some in my carry-on in case I forget the headphones/buds, or the battery dies and I don't have a replacement.
student

Post by student »

I have the QC25. The noise cancelling is very good. I also have a Sony bluetooth noise cancelling headphone MDR-100abn. It is selling for under $200. The sound quality is good and the noise cancelling is not quite as good as QC25 but it is good enough for air travel.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I've had Bose noise canceling headphones for about 2.5 years and they work great for consistent background noise such as a air conditioning, engine noise, fans, road noise (dangerous if you are the driver obviously) and background conversations not in the immediate vicinity. They can be somewhat uncomfortable to intolerable for some people because they create a pressurized feeling that can be intense. I bought them for my wife while she was in school but they were too uncomfortable for her so she wound up with 30+ dB ear muff hearing protection which worked great for her. I inherited the Bose and they are nice but I wouldn't buy them again.

If you travel a lot or are in environments where they would work well (like a library) and the noise bothers you they can be a good investment. If you'd like to save some money or can't handle active noise reduction just get hearing protection earmuffs with 30+ dB reduction (available for about $20) and put passive noise canceling ear buds ($15-$20) under them, you'll get great noise reduction in every day environments.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Alexa9 wrote:Supposedly Bose are the best at noise cancelling, although there are better headphones for audiophiles in the same price range such as the Hifiman HE400S Full-Size Planar Headphones. They make an airplane trip much more enjoyable. They are great when someone is vacuuming or blowing leaves (or you are), etc. making noise outside. The latest ones are bluetooth and have a lithium ion battery that cannot be replaced. Taking them off while wearing them in an airplane makes you realize how noisy it is. At $350, the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 are questionably pricy but they do a good job. Anyone else have experience with noise cancelling headphones? When do you use them?
Well, for the best noise reduction, and really good audio quality, don't get Bose, or any other noise cancelling headphones, instead get some Etymotic ER-4SR or ER-4XR in ear phones. The noise reduction is MUCH better, and much less frequency dependent. And the audio quality is much, much better. And they're smaller, lighter, and last forever, and take no batteries. I've had a pair of the older ER-4S for over a decade and I just love them.

Downsides:

These things go DEEP in your ears. Some people never get used to this, but I've found that if you experiment with the foam, silicon and memory foam tips, there's one you'll like.

The noise reduction is almost too good. Do not walk around, go running, or cycling(!) with these things on; you'll here nothing of the environment.

Unlike the active noise reduction systems, this "seal your ear" system is essentially not frequency-dependent, so you will not hear people talking. This is bliss on an airplane, not practical in an office.

Etymotic has repaired my ER-4S twice over the decade I've owned them. Great company, great product.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... ic+earbuds
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I won a pair of Bose QC 15 (the older, corded, AAA battery model) in a raffle many years ago. I enjoy them and they do make the plane trips more comfortable by blocking the noise, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay the Bose premium outright, even when this pair dies. There are many more cost-effective brands that offer similar noise cancelling for lower price premiums.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

chuckb84 wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:Supposedly Bose are the best at noise cancelling, although there are better headphones for audiophiles in the same price range such as the Hifiman HE400S Full-Size Planar Headphones. They make an airplane trip much more enjoyable. They are great when someone is vacuuming or blowing leaves (or you are), etc. making noise outside. The latest ones are bluetooth and have a lithium ion battery that cannot be replaced. Taking them off while wearing them in an airplane makes you realize how noisy it is. At $350, the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 are questionably pricy but they do a good job. Anyone else have experience with noise cancelling headphones? When do you use them?
Well, for the best noise reduction, and really good audio quality, don't get Bose, or any other noise cancelling headphones, instead get some Etymotic ER-4SR or ER-4XR in ear phones. The noise reduction is MUCH better, and much less frequency dependent. And the audio quality is much, much better. And they're smaller, lighter, and last forever, and take no batteries. I've had a pair of the older ER-4S for over a decade and I just love them.

Downsides:

These things go DEEP in your ears. Some people never get used to this, but I've found that if you experiment with the foam, silicon and memory foam tips, there's one you'll like.

The noise reduction is almost too good. Do not walk around, go running, or cycling(!) with these things on; you'll here nothing of the environment.

Unlike the active noise reduction systems, this "seal your ear" system is essentially not frequency-dependent, so you will not hear people talking. This is bliss on an airplane, not practical in an office.

Etymotic has repaired my ER-4S twice over the decade I've owned them. Great company, great product.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... ic+earbuds
+1 I've had my Etymotic ER-4's for 13 years, love 'em!
Now I'm contemplating an upgrade to the ER-4XR. They offer a reduced price if you send your old ones back.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I actually like the Bose headphones. I'm now using the QC20 noise canceling earphones that sit "in-ear". How they stay in is a mystery to me, but they do, and they are very comfortable even for long flights. The NR is very good.

Yes, Bose is overpriced. But they upgraded me from my first-generation to the QC 15 even when I ran over them with my car and brought in a bag of 100 bits and pieces. I thought that was phenomenal service!

Some other Bose stuff, not so much. Recently tried a Bose soundbar for my TV -- junk. Took it back to Costco.
Avo

Post by Avo »

I bought a pair of Etymotic ER4S when they first came out in 1993 and used them for many years. Clarity and noise isolation is excellent, but they have an emphasis in the highs that I never liked. See these comments on them by famed speaker designer Sigfried Linkwitz: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm
(This is an informative discussion of headphones in general.)

I then switched to a series of less expensive in-ears that had (to me) a subjectively better frequency balance, if not the absolute clarity of the ER4S. My favorites were some $60 phones from Nuforce.

But all the in-ears have the annoyance of ear pieces that get ear wax on them (at least in my ears) and then need to be clearned or replaced (at a not insignificant cost over time), discomfort (for me) after many hours (eg long plane flight), and an inability to block low frequency noise (eg airplane hum) very effectively.

Three years ago I bought the Bose in-ears. The low-frequency noise cancellation is excellent. They fit loosely in the ear and do not accumulate earwax; this is much more practical. The mid-frequency and above noise cancellation is poor (due to fundatmental limitations on how quickly the canceling sound can be launched); the in-ear headphones are much better at this. Sound quality of the Bose is pleasant and fun, but does not have audiophile clarity (which is pretty useless in a noisy environment anyway, IMO).

So I've settled on the Bose in-ears as best for me. But all of this is highly subjective; there is no perfect solution at any price (except, stay out of noisy environments!)
Munir

Post by Munir »

3M Peltor X2A over-the-head earmuffs. Very effective at silencing all outside noise. Amazon- about $15.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort 25s. They saved my sanity. A few years ago new neighbors bought the house next to mine, and played really loud music for hours every day (and night.) Thank goodness they are not year round neighbors. People a block away were complaining. Our town's noise ordinance is not enforced. With the QC25s, I couldn't hear a thing.

As time has gone by, they are not quite as effective, but that seems to be because they don't fit as tightly to the ears. I guess the foam is worn or something. Anyway, cross fingers knock on wood, the neighbors are not so noisy. I always keep spare batteries around.

If you use these, be sure them are turned on! :-) and the one marked R is on the right ear, etc. If they start producing static, the batteries need replacing.

I use them now when people are using leaf blowers and the like. It's amazing how much stress noise causes, and that I didn't realize it until I could turn it off.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

I recently bought the Bose Quietcomfort 20 headphones which were on sale for $179.99. I had held off on buying because I couldn't justify the price, but I had never seen them at that price before and pulled the trigger.

I went with the earbuds because I like to travel light and didn't want full size/over the ear headphones taking up so much space in my bag.

Even after only a few weeks, I'm a huge fan. They work really well blocking out repetitive, low frequency noises (airplane engine, train noise, treadmill/gym background noises, etc.). Now that I have them, I'm kicking myself for not buying them sooner.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

qc35's, factory refurbished, your favorite auction site... ~260ish if you search.
TrendyTightwad

Post by TrendyTightwad »

I recently got the QC35's using an employee discount, which is what tilted the scale for me. I use them for the plane as well as for working in my home office, as I'm in a den without a door off of the living room, and the housemates watch a lot of TV. It helps with the ambient noise of the AC and from the TV, but I can easily hear whatever conversation is ongoing on the TV (which makes sense and I accept as a side effect of these). I have an old pair of Sony noise-cancelling headphones that I won or got for free, and these are definitely better. The fact it doesn't use a AA battery is a plus. With the discount I got, they're worth it; without, I'd probably still have them on a wishlist.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I take frequent 6-14 hour plane rides and have done so for years. After first trying the Bose corded version, QC15 I think, I have never intentionally been on a long flight without them. Always arrive much better rested. After about 4 years of heavy use, the plastic band cracked. Contacted Bose support and they sent me a new pair, even though the warranty was passed. That's service.
Now I use the QC35, Bluetooth version and am equally happy. Battery life is great and they can be charged onboard. I replaced the earpieces on the QC15's and they are still like new.
Last used them last week for 22 hours, no charge needed. Lightweight and easy to sleep while wearing them also.
I tried a colleague's Sony version for comparison once but was just not as impressed. Bose is the gold standard, in my opinion, at least for travel.
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

I have the Bose QC 35. Would not travel without them. Big difference in cabin noise reduction.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

I have 3 yr old Bose QC 20 earbuds with an iPod shuffle rubber-banded to the battery pod.
Use them on airplanes and noisy office environments.
Love them - wouldn't travel without them - really reduces my stress level on planes.
I am very picky about audio quality and these suit me just fine.
wander

Post by wander »

I have QC35 as a gift and I really like it a lot. I use it for flight, at work for listening to training videos/audios. Connecting to bluetooth devices sometimes is tricky. Sometimes I could not connect to my Iphone while already disconnected my Ipad/Android phone. The Bose helps a little but eventually it connects. Overall, the quality is very good minus intermittent bluetooth connecting issue.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I use my QC35s on the hour train ride to/from work, as well as on plane rides. I used to be an audiophile but gave up the search for perfection, and am happy enough with "very good." For Bluetooth, Noise Canceling, over the ear headphones they're very comfortable, sound very good, and have excellent battery life. I think on the order of 20 hours per charge. I used them on a 6 hour cross country flight to San Francisco and had plenty of battery life left. I don't like in-ear headphones.
Steve
skjoldur

Post by skjoldur »

I have the in-ear QC 20's. I find them really helpful on airplanes.

The noise cancelling is better than competing devices that I have owned by a wide margin. You can look up the measurements in various comparisons online. It's pretty dramatic. I think Bose may have some key patents which would explain the better cancelling and the high price.

Here is the isolation measurement of the QC 20:

From this review:
https://www.lifewire.com/bose-quietcomf ... ew-3134581
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Alexa9 wrote:Supposedly Bose are the best at noise cancelling, although there are better headphones for audiophiles in the same price range such as the Hifiman HE400S Full-Size Planar Headphones. They make an airplane trip much more enjoyable.
They're entirely different animals and the HE400S's are not the right tool for dealing with noise since they are open back.

Comfort is a significant concern for air travel and other situations involving long usage periods. The HE400S's are over ear but there are on ear and in ear solutions and not everyone finds all of these to be comfortable -- especially on longer flights. The amount of pressure on due to the design of the headphones and the size/shape of one's head are things to consider when it comes to comfort. Some also find the feeling of pressure from active noise cancellation to be uncomfortable.
chuckb84 wrote:Downsides:
I really like my ER-4P's and use them with the S converter (and amp) at times but another downside is that there is significant noise from the cable rubbing against things. Of course, there are things that can be done to help mitigate but this wouldn't be a concern with a bluetooth solution.

Pros and cons as with any set of options on any topic. For now, my Ety's are my preferred solution. Considering trying out the Sony MDR-1000X's though.

Most probably won't be so picky about audio quality and that's why the QC35's are so popular. For many they're a good option.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

blastoff wrote:qc35's, factory refurbished, your favorite auction site... ~260ish if you search.
They're $270 at the Bose Factory Outlet stores, but at least when I was there, they had a sale going for 25% off a second pair, making that one $202. The only discernible difference between new and factory refurbished is that the latter comes in a boring plain white box.

I've been using QCs for well over a decade. Started by "Buying" a pair of QC2s with Tivo Rewards points. They worked really well once you put them on, but setting them up and tearing them down was definitely an event. Three years ago I replaced those with the QC20 buds. Big improvement in both NC and sound quality (which went from "not good" to "halfway decent"). The inline battery pack was a bit of an annoyance, but it was worth it, especially for flights. The button on the inline remote to disable NC and pass through outside sounds is particularly useful when you need to hear a quick announcement or interact with a flight attendant.

On our last vacation we hit an outlet store and I got a pair of QC35s over-ears for flying and use around the house, along with a pair of QC30 buds (extra 25% off!) for walking the dog. Both are again a big step up. They're still not quite audiophile-grade, but the sound quality is now quite good--good enough that I now choose the QC35 more often than the AT-M50x when at home. And of course, the noise cancelling is even better, and is now adjustable.
rxjayhawk

Post by rxjayhawk »

I have the QC 35. They are worth every penny. I've had Bose headphones for 15+ yr. There customer service is outstanding. Get a pair and enjoy!
doon

Post by doon »

OP - I have been using them (QC35 ) for last 6 months almost daily during my commutes and I can't say enough good things about it.

Like other mentioned the sound quality could be better. But noise cancelling is pretty amazing. Most of the time I just have them on with no audio to drown out external noise and it has been very good at that. Another good thing is whenever I am listening to audio (Youtube/Podcast/Music) I don't have to turn up volume to hear something on headphones because of background noise.

Disclaimer: I was getting a 50% discount on that $350 price because my firm pays 50% up to $750 for everything related to fitness/exercise/gym, etc. That included electronic devices such as headphones/fitbits etc.I am not sure if I would have bought them if I had to pay a full price.
"Goal - Win the game before the need to retire"
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We've had the "over the ear" type for several years, and they work *great* for getting that heavy drone of airplane engines out.

We then tried a pair of the "on ear", and I just HATED those.
For one thing, there was significant noise/drone "bleed" in through the back of the ear, which wasn't covered at all, of course.
Much worse, after not too long (really, "much too soon"!), the pressure of the ear cartilage became increasing uncomfortable until it was unbearable. Okay, "unbearable" for something totally optional, etc.

But recently, thanks to lots of saved airline awards, we've started traveling medium and long haul on flat beds.
Well, those "over the ear" don't work well at all for a side sleeper :annoyed

So we tried the "in ear" Bose, which neither of us expected would be satisfactory from either a comfort or a noise reduction perspective, so we made sure to order where we knew returns were easy and free.

Surprise!
They're made with a rather odd little "wing" that wedges - but just barely - to help it stay in.
And one can sleep on the side, side of the head on a pillow, quite well. Nice.
And they worked really well, a complete surprise, given they did not seem to fit inside all that well.

One thing we both like is that a voice nearby IS heard enough to notice if desired. So neither we nor a flight attendant need to deal with a nudge if a gentle "Hello?" will work.

The new buds have two settings (in addition to "off"). One has the voice ssemi-recognition, one doesn't.
I haven't tried it with the presumably "closer to total silence" setting, and I don't think I'd want that at all while traveling.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

I bought my first set of over-the-ear active noise cancelling headphones this year. I cross-shopped the Bose QC line against competitors, but did not try any before purchasing. I ended up with Plantronics Backbeat Pro after reading many reviews. My decision was heavily swayed by finding the Plantronics on sale for < $100 as an amazon warehouse deal. The headphones are fantastic. Active noise cancellation works well, I only have to recharge the headphones every few days, and they work as wired headphones without power if you need them to (no active noise cancellation without power, though).

The negatives - they do not fold up as small as the Bose units and they are reportedly heavier. They are a bit heavy, but I find it a reasonable trade given parameters I chose these within.
RetireSomeday5

Post by RetireSomeday5 »

Bose used to be king, Sony's new ones are actually a little better. Go to Best Buy and compare for yourself and you'll see. The sony 100abn was a step in the right direction but the new 1000MDX are just flat out better at noise cancelling. Bose still wins on having the app for managing connectoins though but that's not a huge deal to me.
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

lazydavid wrote: On our last vacation we hit an outlet store and I got a pair of QC35s over-ears for flying and use around the house, along with a pair of QC30 buds (extra 25% off!) for walking the dog.
I'd caution against noise cancelling headphones when you are out and about. You want to be able to hear the noise of vehicles (cars, bikes, the kid on the skateboard) around you.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

I use Bose corded NC headphones every day on the treadmill -- I can hear Netflix, etc., without having to blast the volume. Plus, I can pick up the dialog a lot better than if I had the volume way high. They're also great on the plane. They excel at blocking constant noise. One negative on planes is that the inaudible conversations in front and behind you suddenly become crystal clear -- they're shouting at each other to be heard over the engine drone and wind noise but only those elements get canceled.

One more caveat. Spouse recently wore these for ~ 2 h on plane and experienced ear-splitting pain upon taking them off just prior to descent. Literally doubled over in her seat -- I thought she was having a stroke. She generally feels little to no pain (variety of injuries, major surgery, childbirth, etc.) so this was almost a first -- seeing her that uncomfortable. Felt like her ears needed to "pop" (well, 10X worse) but wouldn't. Later, I poked around the web and there were a handful of sites talking about the muffling of the low-frequency (or was it high?) range sounds "tricks" the brain into thinking the ears need to pop (tubes need to open). Her pain subsided after maybe 15 - 30 min but she will never put NC headphones on again. Obviously an uncommon occurrence but it clearly can happen. (She was well at the time and has never had trouble with altitude changes in the past on at least a hundred flights.)

They also tend to produce a subtle (or not) "pressure" sensation in the ears in a high-noise environment (like a plane) -- I assume that the "canceling" wave needed to offset the loud ambient noise is a pretty high-amplitude wave blasted at your ears. I tried them at an airport kiosk years ago and hated them for that reason -- but as the need grew, I took the plunge and have generally been very happy with them.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Hyperborea wrote:
lazydavid wrote: On our last vacation we hit an outlet store and I got a pair of QC35s over-ears for flying and use around the house, along with a pair of QC30 buds (extra 25% off!) for walking the dog.
I'd caution against noise cancelling headphones when you are out and about. You want to be able to hear the noise of vehicles (cars, bikes, the kid on the skateboard) around you.
I stay on the sidewalk, watch around me as I'm crossing the street, and have the NC dialed down (there are buttons on the inline remote to do this on the fly), so I'm not terribly concerned. I've also literally never seen a kid on a skateboard in my neighborhood. :P

Now when I'm biking, I wear a pair of Aftershokz Blues 2 bone-conducting headphones. These don't touch or cover any part of the ear's outer surface, so you can still hear the outside world perfectly. Great option for safety, especially when riding in the street
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

lazydavid wrote:
blastoff wrote:qc35's, factory refurbished, your favorite auction site... ~260ish if you search.
On our last vacation we hit an outlet store and I got a pair of QC35s over-ears for flying and use around the house, along with a pair of QC30 buds (extra 25% off!) for walking the dog.
Your dog is happy with the QC30 buds?
Steve
mouses

Post by mouses »

takeshi wrote:Some also find the feeling of pressure from active noise cancellation to be uncomfortable.
What is this feeling of pressure? I've never noticed that with the QC25s.
mouses

Post by mouses »

ResearchMed wrote: Well, those "over the ear" don't work well at all for a side sleeper :annoyed

They do if you're determined :-) and are willing to experiment with the placement of the headband, etc.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Longdog wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
On our last vacation we hit an outlet store and I got a pair of QC35s over-ears for flying and use around the house, along with a pair of QC30 buds (extra 25% off!) for walking the dog.
I wish they had them for cats. I feel guilty when my neighbors are blaring loud music and I'm the only life form in the house who can turn it off.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Longdog wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Well played. :P
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

[/quote]
I really like my ER-4P's and use them with the S converter (and amp) at times but another downside is that there is significant noise from the cable rubbing against things. Of course, there are things that can be done to help mitigate but this wouldn't be a concern with a bluetooth solution.

Pros and cons as with any set of options on any topic. For now, my Ety's are my preferred solution. Considering trying out the Sony MDR-1000X's though.

Most probably won't be so picky about audio quality and that's why the QC35's are so popular. For many they're a good option.
[/quote]

I too have an S converter and amp for serious listening with the ER-4Ps, and the sound is SO good that I consider any further improvement to be essentially irrelevant, and probably the limits are: (1) the source input, (2) my hearing :(. BTW, the amp was hand built by a gentleman at head-fi.org, a site that will tell you more about headphones than you'll EVER want to know. The amp is this one: http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/
panhead

Post by panhead »

I have a pair of older Bose battery and cable noise cancelling headphones. If you travel a lot on planes, some kind of noise cancelling headphones are a HUGE improvement in the experience. I've had a set of earbuds, but the over the ear Bose do a much better job. I'm not sure about the cheaper brands, I got mine with miles. If and when these die, I might try a cheaper brand for cash, but I will always have a pair of them from someone.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

I received these as a Christmas gift last year and have been very happy with them for 96 flights and and 230k miles this year. I can't compare to others, but I can say that the battery life is sufficient for my frequent 16+ hour flight from DFW to HKG. When on a plane with inflight entertainment, I turn the Bluetooth off and use the cord. This saves battery life as only the active noise cancelling is using power.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16219

Edit to add...
I have used the Bose headphones in the AA J cabin before getting these. Couldn't tell much difference, but then again the AA Bose headphones are probably well used.
Last edited by head gamez on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I have a Sharper Image noise attenuating head set and it is somewhat effective. But the Bose aviation headset for pilots that I bought about 15 years ago works really well. I use it for mowing the lawn and running other power tools (as well as flying).
JEC

Post by JEC »

There are some amazing sounding IEMs you can get from China for incredibly cheap from sites like AliExpress and GearBest. Like others have mentioned, foam tips provide great isolation and comfort. For around 20 bucks you can get something like the Tennmak Pros or the KZ ZS5s and they will sound far better than Bose (seriously, I have both). I was skeptical myself, but these $20 headphones really do sound better than my $300 Bose ones.
tup45678

Post by tup45678 »

I've used noise-canceling headphones for the past several years for 8-10 hours per day at work. First, if you've never used noise-canceling headphones before, they make trains/airplanes far more tolerable. Ambient environmental/transportation noise never really bothered me before, but after using noise-canceling headphones, there's no going back.

In terms of what type to get, I can highly recommend the Bose Quiet Comfort line. Best-in-class noise canceling, and the new wireless QC 35 are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn. Again, I wear mine for the entire workday and on my commute both ways and they are just wonderful. This is one of those items where it pays to splurge.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I did notice one site with a sale on the QC35 headphones for $300

https://www.spoofee.com/bose-quietcomfo ... als/897997
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

panhead wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am If you travel a lot on planes, some kind of noise cancelling headphones are a HUGE improvement in the experience. I've had a set of earbuds, but the over the ear Bose do a much better job.
Most of the earbuds available will allow you to change the tips and to make them really noise canceling you need to do so. The standard tips that come with most ear buds is not designed for sound blocking. I use Comply isolation tips (there are other brands too) with my earbuds when I fly and the noise reduction is immense. I swap out the tips for others when I don't want the isolation.

The isolation tips are the "secret" to making earbuds work for noise canceling. Pick the earbuds that you like and have the features you want and then add the isolation tips.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The Boses are good, but I would first look on head-fi.org to do some research on the various ones out there.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

I have the on ear QC 3. The sound is great, but the faux leather material covering the headphones began to flake off after a year of light use. The replacement coverings are not covered under warranty and cost $35 :annoyed
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I've had only good experiences with Bose. I'm not an audiophile.

I have noise canceling earbuds, not headphones, and I love them. They are great for traveling, especially. They're comfortable, the sound quality is good, and the noise canceling is effective.