Garage ceiling bike storage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Garage ceiling bike storage

Post by BashDash » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am

Hi BH!

Can anyone recommend a bike storage system for a ceiling of a garage?
Trying to maximize a one car garage? Easy to get down and use regularly rather than just leaving it there. A bonus would be that it is easy to install. Two adult bikes and one child bike. Thanks!!

guitarguy

Re: Garage ceiling bike storage

Post by guitarguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

Holy crap I would like to know this exact information sans the child bike! I will see what all the experts say.

:sharebeer

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

Those screw in bike hooks would work just fine and easy to install.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

When you say "easy to get down," are you looking for something with pulleys?

I have used simple hooks in the ceiling and then hung my bicycles upside down by the rims. I do screw the large hooks into studs. The downside is that I have to lift the bike above my head to put it on the hooks. I consider this my weight training, though!

Another option is to put the hooks in the ceiling close to a wall so the bike hangs from the ceiling but rest against the wall. I haven't done this but it might make loading and unloading a bit easier.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

TheAlaskan

Post by TheAlaskan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am

Andyrunner wrote:I have 2 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Vin ... /202305571
+1

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 am

Andyrunner wrote:I have 2 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Vin ... /202305571
Not sure it was a brand name but mine look just like those.

edit: I've got an open ceiling as well so these go right into a rafter that runs down the middle of a 2 car garage.
Last edited by heartwood on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 am

How heavy are the bikes? Less than 20 pounds each? How often will you put them up and down?

We have an open garage ceiling so can see the rafters. I have just let the handlebars go up, then a twist gets them hanging from the rafters. I also have hooks shown, but mostly since I ride my bike every day it just leans against the wall.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:29 am

As others may have mentioned, we just use those cheap, rubberized hooks/hangers from home depot. Works just fine for us.
I have a pic I'd like to post but can't figure out how. Sorry.
Chipperd

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:06 am

We have these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-1-Bike ... /100464777

Easy to install, super easy to down/up everyday.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 am

Try a rack like the one in the link.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-F ... /100387746

I have something similar and it works well for me.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am

Faith20879 wrote:We have these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-1-Bike ... /100464777

Easy to install, super easy to down/up everyday.
I have five of these as well and really like them. My only complaint is that the hooks as is didn't work well with the majority of my bicycle seats so I've had to tweak them with some pliers for a better grip. They work fine now.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:29 am

I haven't looked at all the links yet, but are any of these systems appropriate for mounting on a sloped ceiling type garage? Mine is detached and uninsulated, so I'm hoping to mount to a ceiling rafter.

My mtb is about 30 lbs and DW's bike a lb or 2 lighter.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 am

guitarguy wrote:I haven't looked at all the links yet, but are any of these systems appropriate for mounting on a sloped ceiling type garage? Mine is detached and uninsulated, so I'm hoping to mount to a ceiling rafter.

The one linked in the post right above your original post works on all types of ceilings.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:04 am

This is the Cadillac system but I'm not sure how well it would work on a sloped ceiling. Probably not well

https://www.saris.com/product/cycleglidestorage-system

Best bet with rafters and sloping roof is to just use fixed hooks installed in a convenient location with the bikes aligned perpendicular to the roof slope. In other words, the bikes would be hanging level but each bike would be hanging at a different height as you move up the roofline. You may need to mount some 2x4s onto the rafters to get the hooks where you want them.

You only need the lift systems if your ceiling is really high but I suspect it is not if it is sloping. Just depends on how high you can lift and whether you ever want the child to be able to retrieve a bike on their own.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:09 am

lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:I haven't looked at all the links yet, but are any of these systems appropriate for mounting on a sloped ceiling type garage? Mine is detached and uninsulated, so I'm hoping to mount to a ceiling rafter.

The one linked in the post right above your original post works on all types of ceilings.
That looks pretty slick!

Thanks!

wvmtnbkr

Post by wvmtnbkr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am

You didn't say what your ceiling height is in garage. My garage is fully-finished with 15' ceilings and I have several of the Saferacks overhead storage racks with bike hangers. Very convenient with the added benefit of increased storage space.

https://www.amazon.com/SafeRacks-Overhe ... orage+rack

I've also used the hangers that attach to the wall and hold one wheel and the bike is vertical along the wall. I've found these systems to be annoying but functional. The bike stored vertically along the wall takes up more space than one would think, especially if hanging bike is close to the garage floor. Didn't work well with heavier mountain bikes, either. To me, it seemed that it was more effort to hang the bike on the wall then just flipping it and hanging it from the hooks on the overhead rack.

Stephen

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am

Big fan of simple hooks in a stud. Our ceiling is pretty high, but not so much I can't get the rim over the hook.

Your bike is 30lbs? Yikes: save money by buying a pair of hooks @$1.29, and put it towards a nicer, lighter bike. :)

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

Depends on what orientation you want. I prefer hanging my bike by the frame so I don't have to swing the bike around to a different orientation. I use the cheapo big box store hooks:

Rubbermaid FastTrack

But if you want to go couture there are other options:

Cycloc Solo

Delta Cycle Michelangelo

Saris The Hottie
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm

This is a common pulley system. Link is from REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/880249/delt ... 197&gclid=

A SIGNIFICANT WORD OF CAUTION:

While it is tempting to mount various garage ceiling mounts/garage roof storage systems, to make the most of available space, keep in mind the excessive weight, especially when one is compromising the roof joists with bolts, large screw hooks, etc, you MAY end up damaging the joists that make up the ceiling of your garage (and that could be a roof or even a living space relying on those joists).

I speak from experience. Personally I will now no longer mount anything from our garage roof....

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Here's mine...use bike tubes that have had flats, loop them over the rafters. 1 for front end, 1-2 for back. Front one goes under bars and back one(s) around seat. Bonus is the elasticity...lift front of bike and loop the front tube under bars. Then you can let go of the front and lift back end to secures tubes around the seat.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 pm

chevca wrote:Those screw in bike hooks would work just fine and easy to install.
This is what I use. Just one hook for each wheel, turn the bike upside down and hang it up. Whether this works well for you will depend on ceiling height, your height, and the strength and coordination of those putting the bikes up and down.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau