Best internet service provider in Washington DC area?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dogsbestfriend

Best internet service provider in Washington DC area?

Post by Dogsbestfriend » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello,
We just moved to Silver Spring, MD, just outside the beltway. Wondering what Bogleheads in this area use for an internet service provider. We moved from Western NY, where we were paying $40/month for Time Warner Cable (Spectrum) internet. We were happy with the service but they don't serve this area. Have previously used Verizon Fios in this area, and it was fine, but seemed expensive. Just need basic internet at reasonable speed (not dial-up) for basic browsing. Don't have land line or cable TV, so don't need to factor in "bundling" of services.
Thanks!
DBF

Ketawa

Re: Best internet service provider in Washington DC area?

Post by Ketawa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 pm

I am moving to the DC area soon and signed up for Fios. The deal for 50 Mbps up/50 Mbps down was $40/month the first year, $55/month the second year, $65/month after that (I think, 2+ years wasn't clear). I have an extra $5/month off on top of those rates because I'm in the military. I bought one of Verizon's routers off of eBay for $90 and I'm going to sell my current modem & router used with cable. Overall, the deal was favorable compared to Comcast's options.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 pm

We signed up for FIOS here as well, and I'm content with it. $50/month for 50 mbps up and down, which is the fastest internet we've ever had, but not the most expensive. I got them to run ethernet directly to my DDWRT router, so I don't even need to hassle with a separate modem as I previously did with Time Warner. I considered Comcast briefly but it looked like $300+ just to get things installed, and we're only here for a short time.

engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:34 am

In the many years (probably more than a decade at this point) we have had FIOS, I can only recall two service interruptions. They were huge too, affecting a large portion of the east coast. Their phone based customer service initially was superb, but over the years it has degraded to what I'd consider average. They have online chat support which is generally very good.

I'm not sure this is the case with all carriers, but when we have a power outage we still get service when we run off of a generator.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 am

I live jus north of Silver Spring and have had FIOS for years. I am very pleased with their internet service.
I had Comcast internet initially about a decade or so ago, and it was unsatisfactory.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:59 pm

I live in Northern VA and have Cox and am very happy with them. However, I'm not sure if Cox is offered in Silver Spring...it might just be Comcast (along with Fios). If you had to choose between Fios and Comcast, I'd definitely go Fios as people around here complain about Comcast all the time.

Dogsbestfriend

Post by Dogsbestfriend » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone. We went with Fios and are very happy so far!