LED light bulbs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gac1979

LED light bulbs

Post by gac1979 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:01 pm

I know there are a few threads on this, but technology and prices are rapidly changing. Wondering what brand of LED light bulbs people are currently using that have a good combination of price and quality?

Vanguard Fan 1367

Re: LED light bulbs

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't know if this is a good idea but I am happy with going to Lowes or Home Depot and buying their cheapest LED bulbs. They are supposed to last for many years and use very little electricity and so far they have done well.

miketheboglehead

Post by miketheboglehead » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm

I have had good luck with various bioluz bulbs on Amazon, including dimmable, filament style LEDs. The filament style bulbs have the best look in my opinion. Just recently saw Sunbeam 60 w replacements 800 lumens at the dollar tree so we are giving those a try as well since they are a buck a piece.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Are they really "bulbs" ? They're quantum devices?
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 pm

For me Walmart Private Label Brand has been great. :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 pm

stocked up at Costco, particularly when they had a built-in rebate (aka, discount) from SoCal Edison.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 pm

I also purchased LED replacement bulbs from Costco - Feit brand - for the entire house. I much prefer the 2700k color which I find to be closest to a typical incandescent. I wouldn't go over beyond a 3000k which is more of a 'cool white.'

My experience with these bulbs is that like most electronics, a certain percentage fail early - they will start to blink bright to dim. Because of Costco's generous return policy I returned the defectives and got new ones with no problem when that happened, no questions asked. I found that once a bulb lasts for a month or two with regular use, they're good. I've now had most of mine for about 3 years now.

Costco's prices are very good and on many bulbs they will have the local utilitie's rebate applied to the price.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:I also purchased LED replacement bulbs from Costco - Feit brand - for the entire house. I much prefer the 2700k color which I find to be closest to a typical incandescent. I wouldn't go over beyond a 3000k which is more of a 'cool white.'

My experience with these bulbs is that like most electronics, a certain percentage fail early - they will start to blink bright to dim. Because of Costco's generous return policy I returned the defectives and got new ones with no problem when that happened, no questions asked. I found that once a bulb lasts for a month or two with regular use, they're good. I've now had most of mine for about 3 years now.

Costco's prices are very good and on many bulbs they will have the local utilitie's rebate applied to the price.
Called the "bathtub curve" of reliability. We pack more and more electronics into smaller spaces, that increases the risk of a fault. Also overheating. If they get through that month or so, then they tend to last the designed life or longer. Which for LEDs is at least 10,000 hours (8,760 hours in a year) and can be 20,000.

The better mousetrap has been invented, with the LED light.

Color Rendering Index is one metric, and you want 90 or higher if you can get it. Then, at 2700k, it is pretty much indistinguishable from an incandescent light.

I use the Philips bulbs (in Europe, no reason to think they are materially different in USA) and have had good results.

b42

Post by b42 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:15 am

I switched all my bulbs to Cree a few years ago. Reliability-wise, I had about 7 fail from around 20 total. But I was able to get replacements due to their 10 year warranty. So other than that headache, they have worked out well since my electricity bills went down. I bet never versions would be more reliable.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 am

Replaced all bulbs in the last two houses with LED, mostly from home depot and Costco. Be sure to keep receipts and original packaging if possible so returns for any early bulb failures are easy. Great deals on LED bulbs at Costco and returns at Costco are super easy. The recent batch we put in last year in the new house have been rock solid. I also suggest getting 2700k bulbs as the color is much warmer and easier on the eyes than the higher color 3000k+ white/blue.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am

I forgot to mention that the warmer color (2700k) is especially important when you put the bulbs on dimmers, which most of mine are. An incandescent bulb tends to warm as it is dimmed but an LED bulb does the opposite which results in a dimmed 'cool' LED bulb becoming a very odd color. A 2700k bulb will look good when bright and okay when dimmed. A higher numbered color bulb creates a very odd ambiance when dimmed.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 am

Switched almost all the bulbs in the house to Philips brand LED's several years ago. Haven't had a single failure and the color temp is nearly identical to incandescent.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Interesting question, we stocked up on CFL's a few years back and will run through those before fully switching to LED.

We did buy a 3-pack of LED at Lowe's a few months back, used them for a couple of days and put them back in the box. No significant change in light quality from the CFL.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:08 pm

runner3081 wrote:Interesting question, we stocked up on CFL's a few years back and will run through those before fully switching to LED.

We did buy a 3-pack of LED at Lowe's a few months back, used them for a couple of days and put them back in the box. No significant change in light quality from the CFL.
I swapped out my CFLs for LED when I was able to buy LED bulbs for about $1 each. Puget Sound Energy has a promotion each summer and I backed up the truck. Have been running my LED bulbs for about 3 years now. I noticed a big difference between CFL and LED. Some CFL bulbs may start dim when first turned on and get brighter a few minutes later. LED does not do this - full brightness immediately. CFL bulbs tend not to be dimmable. The LED bulbs that I bought all worked with existing dimmer switches.
Wiki

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm

I did some research recently on LEDs because it seemed I was having a lot of failures, especially in the enclosed fixture in my shower. Apparently, some LEDs are not designed to be used in enclosed fixtures because of heat build up. Some of the newer ones are as the result of different design.

This information "suitable for use in unenclosed fixtures" is in tiny print on the box and my guess is that few people even read the boxes anyway. If your failures are in enclosed fixtures...that might be part of the problem.

victorb

Post by victorb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Feit from Costco have been very good for me. I also have used the CREE bulbs from Home Depot. I had a new Phillips 3-way LED of 50-100-150 and the first lasted about 2 days. The replacement has been great with no problems. LED's are still not there for dimmable use, but with new LED dimmer and some time, I thing they will be fine. I just saw 6 Feit 60W 2700K bulbs at Costco for $8.99 with rebate from Xcel Energy; How can you go wrong with that deal???? LEDs have come a long way and are great, especially for the price.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

victorb wrote:LED's are still not there for dimmable use, but with new LED dimmer and some time, I thing they will be fine.
All the LED bulbs (made by Greenlite) I bought in the last 3 years have been dimmable. While I installed LED dimmers, I found that they worked with old style dimmers when I changed every bulb in my mom's house.

If you're PNW, your local ACE hardware may participate in the PSE promotion which offers Greenlite LED bulbs for about $1 each. Several form factors available (BR20, A19, candle).
Wiki

FloRidaRocky

Post by FloRidaRocky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm

I did some research recently on LEDs because it seemed I was having a lot of failures, especially in the enclosed fixture in my shower. Apparently, some LEDs are not designed to be used in enclosed fixtures because of heat build up. Some of the newer ones are as the result of different design.

This information "suitable for use in unenclosed fixtures" is in tiny print on the box and my guess is that few people even read the boxes anyway. If your failures are in enclosed fixtures...that might be part of the problem.
I've had problems with LED bulbs in enclosed fixtures that stated they were OK for use in enclosed fixtures. I eventually just took the glass portion of the fixture off so the bulbs would stop failing. I must have called the FEIT warranty number about 3 times for replacements prior to permanently removing the glass from the fixtures. The bulbs are now exposed but I don't really care.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Problem: kitchen 4-tube fixture sometimes does not turn on in the early afternoons. Works okay the rest of the time.

Long story short: I think a swap to T12 LED tubes (eventually) fixed the problem.

Switched kitchen T12 tubes (T12 = 12/8" = 1.5" diameter 4' tubes) to LED this week. Have been noticing for past few weeks that on hot days the national electrical grid voltage is ~114v* in the early afternoon, and my old kitchen 4-tube light fixture does not turn on at that low a voltage. (* A Kill-A-Watt meter, used with my portable backup generator, lives in a spare kitchen outlet, so I notice the voltage during the day.)

Status of swap. Waiting for another hot day and the national electrical grid voltage to again drop low so I can check this part of the swap. Why? Need to check this because some LED tubes say they require 120v and some say 110v. The Philips T8 LEDs I've installed say 120v in small print on the back of the box.

N.B. When swapping florescent tubes for LED tubes, it's important to get the right ones. Why? They come in multiple types, but the small print on the back of the box only implies there are differences, but doesn't tell you what they are, only to call the manufacturer (that's not gonna happen).

The short answer to 4' LED tube replacement types:
--T12 LED tubes expect to be used with a magnetic (slow start) ballast---used with a T12 florescent tube fixture.
--T8 LED tubes (T8 = 8/8" = 1" diameter 4' tube) expect to be used with an electronic (quick start) ballast---used with T8 tube fixture.
--Direct connect LED tubes expect you to rewire fixture to bypass ballast (another step, easy to do, instructions may not be supplied).
--Universal LED tubes can be used with either ballast type and rewired to bypass it when it fails.

I learned this after researching why T8 LED tubes didn't work in my T12 fixture. And didn't know it was a T12 fixture. And why I couldn't rewire the fixture to use the T8 LED tubes. But that's okay, I needed something else from HD so the return trip was not a waste.

After finding the correct LED tube replacement type for you application, then you get to worry about the color of the light. A little "whiter" light works better in the kitchen so red meat looks red and not gray. I was told 4000K is close to the color of the recommended old-style "kitchen" florescent tubes.

LED tubes can cause RF interference with (marine) radios---small print on the back of the box. Checked and no interference with my AM/FM/WX kitchen radio.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:37 pm

victorb wrote:LED's are still not there for dimmable use, but with new LED dimmer and some time, I thing they will be fine.
Mine work perfectly with dimmers other than some color change, which is one of the reasons I have a strong preference for 2700k bulbs. They are a nice color on 'high' and still very acceptable on 'low'.

As other(s) have mentioned they will typically work with the old style dimmer but you often can't dim them down all the way or they will start blinking. The newer LED dimmers have an adjustable limit switch that allow the lower limit to be set so this doesn't happen.

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Picked up a bunch of IKEA LED bulbs for $1 each, then some dimmable IKEA ones for $3 each (on sale). So far so good!

The brightness range you can dim isn't as far as with incandescent but it still works pretty well.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:48 pm

I have had good luck buying from https://www.earthled.com/. They let you search for bulbs by MANY criteria.

I buy Thinklux brand, filament style.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Ecosmart from Home Depot. I purchased about 20 of them - no failures at all. I like the warm white.

Also a few Wal-Mart store brand, also no failures.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:I don't know if this is a good idea but I am happy with going to Lowes or Home Depot and buying their cheapest LED bulbs. They are supposed to last for many years and use very little electricity and so far they have done well.
I bought and use a bunch of LED bulbs from Home Depot and have been happy with the fresh bright white light they provide. I bought them on sell for $20, for a 6 pack. I don't recall the brand, but very pleased with the fact they just don't product any heat, just fresh white bright light. :happy
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I have a strong preference high color rendering index (CRI) lighting. Most LED's are weak in red range, and usually a part of the blue-green range, causing some items with lots of these colors in them to look washed out or off color. Then again, most halfway decent LED's are better than most fluorescents, and score around 80 CRI, with less overemphasis on specific greens and pink. It's not an obvious difference, but high-CRI bulbs do better in these ranges.

The Costco Feit bulbs are usually high CRI models. They're ok. Based on reviews, it sounds like their failure rate is high, but the light they produce is good. They tend a little "warmer" in hue than I like in some places.

I like warmer tones in spaces for relaxing such as bedrooms or the living room. The standard 2700K color temperature is fine for me there. I like more neutral tones in spaces for visual activities, like the kitchen or bathroom. "Neutral" is perceived contextually, and indoors after dark, 3000K seems about right to me.

I recently tried the Hyperikon brand available through Amazon, since they are the only 3000K, high CRI, standard A19 style bulbs I've found. They're great so far. I have not tried them on dimmers.

I don't know of any high CRI bulbs that can be used in enclosed fixtures. I killed two Feit 60W equivalents testing them there, knowing they said not to do so.

However, I've had good luck so far (about 2 years) with the non-dimmable Philips bulbs in enclosed fixtures, which are one of the least expensive major-brand LED's available. These go in my closets, hallways, etc.

And then I've still got a bunch of ugly CFL's, which refuse to die.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Of the bulbs I have, the Philips L-Prize winning model is by far the best. They have a CRI of 92, dim perfectly with standard dimmers, even shifting their color temperature as they are dimmed, mimicking incandescent bulbs with this (IMO) desirable trait. Test bulbs passed 25,000 hours of testing with zero failures and all samples maintaining 100% of their original luminance. Unfortunately the drive for lower prices caused Philips to discontinue this bulb. I grabbed a bunch years ago when the Home Depot was closing them out and other than their unconventional look, they are by far the best of the lot. Most of ours are used in enclosed glass fixtures as well, FWIW.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:50 pm

I haven't done a detailed analysis, but my electric bill does not seem to be high enough to make higher efficiency anything worthwhile. Too long a payback period.

Years ago I switched to mainly compact fluorescents, due to the lesser heat load when I did not have air conditioning. I don't like their slow start though. As they fail, I am slowly replacing them with incandescents I saved from the switchover, now that I have AC. And I have some CF backups that I intend to use up before going to anything new.

I have a few LED bulbs (free from the power company), but only have one installed. I expect I will slowly switch to them over the next decade or two.

Where and when I grew up, light bulbs were always provided for free from the local power company. This was ruled illegal sometime when I was a teenager. Yet in my new location many years later it is actively encouraged again. Times change and nobody knows nuthin'.

Not helpful to your question, I know, but it has to be said. The math for wholesale replacement doesn't work out for some people. I'm not getting solar panels anytime soon either, and yet I live in a very sunny climate. Why pay all my electric bills 20 years in advance?
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Costco is my store on LED bulbs.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 pm

tooluser wrote:Not helpful to your question, I know, but it has to be said. The math for wholesale replacement doesn't work out for some people. I'm not getting solar panels anytime soon either, and yet I live in a very sunny climate. Why pay all my electric bills 20 years in advance?
No question about it. If you're looking only at dollars and cents if often makes no sense. Maybe it never makes sense since we don't know how long the bulbs are really going to last (in my experience the CFLs didn't live up to their long life hype). But some are looking for environmental benefits so it's worth it to them for that benefit alone. I never switched to CFL or LED when in lived where power was dirt cheap. Now that I've moved to a place where power is very expensive and the A/C runs constantly all summer long, I have all LEDs.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm

In my opinion, the most important things is the color. 2700k looks like an incandescent bulb. We have one 3000k bulb that came with a light fixture we bought and it is much whiter than a standard incandescent bulb. Some people prefer that look. I would say to buy a couple of bulbs and experiment.

We've had good luck with the Cree brand from Home Depot. We installed some of them at least three or four years ago and no issues so far.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 pm

bertilak wrote:I have had good luck buying from https://www.earthled.com/. They let you search for bulbs by MANY criteria.

I buy Thinklux brand, filament style.
Thanks for that tip! I needed a bulb and was unable to find it at local retailers, Amazon or with a Google shopping search. Earthled.com had exactly what I needed at a very reasonable price. It's on its way including free shipping on one bulb!

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:06 am

Costco. We replaced a number of CFL bulbs in high use areas when Costco had the LEDs on sale. One failed early and called the manufacturer and they replaced it no questions asked.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 am

I replaced almost every bulb in my house with LEDs because they run cool. CFLs and incandescents run hot. I hate hot things.
I have 2 leftover incandescents in enclosed fixtures that are high up and I'm too lazy to change them.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:05 am

rgs92 wrote:I replaced almost every bulb in my house with LEDs because they run cool. CFLs and incandescents run hot. I hate hot things.
I have 2 leftover incandescents in enclosed fixtures that are high up and I'm too lazy to change them.
This was my understanding also, until I touched an LED bulb immediately after switching it off. They may be 'cool' compared to CFL or incandescent bulbs, but they are still HOT to touch!

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 am

tooluser wrote:I haven't done a detailed analysis, but my electric bill does not seem to be high enough to make higher efficiency anything worthwhile. Too long a payback period.

Years ago I switched to mainly compact fluorescents, due to the lesser heat load when I did not have air conditioning. I don't like their slow start though. As they fail, I am slowly replacing them with incandescents I saved from the switchover, now that I have AC. And I have some CF backups that I intend to use up before going to anything new.

I have a few LED bulbs (free from the power company), but only have one installed. I expect I will slowly switch to them over the next decade or two.

Where and when I grew up, light bulbs were always provided for free from the local power company. This was ruled illegal sometime when I was a teenager. Yet in my new location many years later it is actively encouraged again. Times change and nobody knows nuthin'.

Not helpful to your question, I know, but it has to be said. The math for wholesale replacement doesn't work out for some people. I'm not getting solar panels anytime soon either, and yet I live in a very sunny climate. Why pay all my electric bills 20 years in advance?
The math is quite simple. A 60W equivalent LED uses about 9W. That’s a 51W savings. A bulb that is used 8 hours per day every day of the year will use 149KWh of energy over and above the LED. At .11 per KWh that’s a cost of $16/year to power that bulb.

Such a bulb can be bought for little more than $1 each.

The math is tougher if you are already using CFL’s, but I always hated the slow warmup, inconsistent color temperatures, and lack of dimming in CFL’s so even that was a no-brainer.

Compared to an incandescent, it’s not worth it even if the bulbs are free.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 am

tooluser wrote:I haven't done a detailed analysis, but my electric bill does not seem to be high enough to make higher efficiency anything worthwhile. Too long a payback period.

I can buy led bulbs for under a dollar after comed instant rebate

I generally have 3 lights on. That's 180w if I used incandescents. If I use led, it's 30w.

At .10$ per kwh, and 8 hours of use per day, the return on investment is 25 days, not 20 years. Even if you only use a specific bulb an hour per day, roi is under a year.

Might want to re-evaluate your mindset on this

Wholesale led switchover of every bulb can have a very real
IT-DevOps System Administrator

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

I also replaced all my CFLs with LEDs from Costco. Ive had one bulb fail which I replaced via the manufacturer. I too received a discount on the bulbs from our local utility. $2.49 for a box of 6 LED bulbs was too good a deal to pass up.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

just frank

Post by just frank » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 am

Most recently, I have put Hyperikons (from amazon) or Phillips where I care about CRI, like kitchen, dining and living rooms, and cheap (Chinese-made) filament bulbs (also from amazon) almost everywhere else. I am also running out my last aging CFLs.

I have had the most problems with American made Cree-branded bulbs from the Big Box stores.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 am

You found LED tubes that state on the box that they work with T12 ballasts?

The inexpensive (around $10) 4' LED tubes that I've seen with decent reviews online have all specified direct-wire (preferred) or T8 ballasts.

I found disturbing reports of overheating when the above were used with (I suspect the newer electronic) T12 ballasts.

Based on those I would absolutely bypass the ballast and choose direct-wire LED tubes for residential use.
(even were the original ballast magnetic, it's likely already been replaced with an electronic ballast)
dratkinson wrote:Problem: kitchen 4-tube fixture sometimes does not turn on in the early afternoons. Works okay the rest of the time.

Long story short: I think a swap to T12 LED tubes (eventually) fixed the problem.

Switched kitchen T12 tubes (T12 = 12/8" = 1.5" diameter 4' tubes) to LED this week. Have been noticing for past few weeks that on hot days the national electrical grid voltage is ~114v* in the early afternoon, and my old kitchen 4-tube light fixture does not turn on at that low a voltage. (* A Kill-A-Watt meter, used with my portable backup generator, lives in a spare kitchen outlet, so I notice the voltage during the day.)

Status of swap. Waiting for another hot day and the national electrical grid voltage to again drop low so I can check this part of the swap. Why? Need to check this because some LED tubes say they require 120v and some say 110v. The Philips T8 LEDs I've installed say 120v in small print on the back of the box.

N.B. When swapping florescent tubes for LED tubes, it's important to get the right ones. Why? They come in multiple types, but the small print on the back of the box only implies there are differences, but doesn't tell you what they are, only to call the manufacturer (that's not gonna happen).

The short answer to 4' LED tube replacement types:
--T12 LED tubes expect to be used with a magnetic (slow start) ballast---used with a T12 florescent tube fixture.
--T8 LED tubes (T8 = 8/8" = 1" diameter 4' tube) expect to be used with an electronic (quick start) ballast---used with T8 tube fixture.
--Direct connect LED tubes expect you to rewire fixture to bypass ballast (another step, easy to do, instructions may not be supplied).
--Universal LED tubes can be used with either ballast type and rewired to bypass it when it fails.

I learned this after researching why T8 LED tubes didn't work in my T12 fixture. And didn't know it was a T12 fixture. And why I couldn't rewire the fixture to use the T8 LED tubes. But that's okay, I needed something else from HD so the return trip was not a waste.

After finding the correct LED tube replacement type for you application, then you get to worry about the color of the light. A little "whiter" light works better in the kitchen so red meat looks red and not gray. I was told 4000K is close to the color of the recommended old-style "kitchen" florescent tubes.

LED tubes can cause RF interference with (marine) radios---small print on the back of the box. Checked and no interference with my AM/FM/WX kitchen radio.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 am

I have had some of the generic China brands fail.
I have had Lighting Science Group fail.
I have even had CREE fail.

The only ones that have never failed and my preference is Phillips. When the occasionally go on sale at the box stores I have got them under $2 now.

Like others I am picky about color temp and high CRI and will spend more for good bulbs. I even jumped on the L-prize bulb bandwagon and got a few of those early on with utility rebates.
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:25 am

Very happy with both of these:

Philips 455709 100 Watt Equivalent A19 and an similar 60W equivalent in fixtures that don't dim.

And Cree BA19-08027OMB-12DE26-3_120 60W Equivalent 2700K A19 LED for dimming fixtures.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

I replaced all of my GU10 halogens with SYLVANIA 6w Warm White's. Good so far. I dim them with a programmable dimmer to put them at 10% dim -- standard dimmers won't go that low.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 am

I tried cree, Wal Mart, eco smart, Lowe's brand, some top rated brand on Amazon, and didn't like any. Cree looked and worked the best, but they kept lasting not near as long as they should. And I'm too lazy to return bulbs under warranty. Most all of them suck at dimming.

I am now slowly switching everything to Phillips. Phillips with "warm glow" dims almost as well as incandescent. It's the best I tried by far. Time will tell if they start failing within a year like some of my crees, but so far I'm happy.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:20 am

Gadget wrote:I tried cree, Wal Mart, eco smart, Lowe's brand, some top rated brand on Amazon, and didn't like any. Cree looked and worked the best, but they kept lasting not near as long as they should. And I'm too lazy to return bulbs under warranty. Most all of them suck at dimming.

I am now slowly switching everything to Phillips. Phillips with "warm glow" dims almost as well as incandescent. It's the best I tried by far. Time will tell if they start failing within a year like some of my crees, but so far I'm happy.
I agree in general. What I prefer about incandescents is that the light gets warmer when they're dimmed compared to the light of LEDs which seems to get cooler and muddier as they are dimmed.

What is your specific objection?

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Frugalinvestor: Something must be wrong there and maybe you should try another bulb or have a professional check your wiring or something.
I've been using tons of LEDs from Cree/Phillips/3M and other name brands for 10 years and never found one to be more than barely warm after long use and even in enclosed fixtures. That's a mystery to me.
Can someone else comment on this? Thanks.
[Edit: I don't use weird off-brand ones and they are mostly from Amazon where I spot-check the reviews. One other thing is that I usually don't dim the ones on dimmer switches, even though they are dimmer-OK ones in those fixtures.]

Sometimes one will burn out, but it seems very rare.

I used to have all CFLs but they made me nervous because of all the warning about dangerous fumes (and advice to open all the windows) if one breaks.
I tossed them all out in the garbage including my big stash of never-used ones. I really dislike CFLs. And the LEDs have a nicer, warmer light. And CFLs like I said run hot.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Gadget wrote:I tried cree, Wal Mart, eco smart, Lowe's brand, some top rated brand on Amazon, and didn't like any. Cree looked and worked the best, but they kept lasting not near as long as they should. And I'm too lazy to return bulbs under warranty. Most all of them suck at dimming.

I agree in general. What I prefer about incandescents is that the light gets warmer when they're dimmed compared to the light of LEDs which seems to get cooler and muddier as they are dimmed.

We have been nearly 100% Philips in our house for several years now and have never had a bulb fail. The L-Prize bulbs I mentioned above mimick the shift to warmer temps as you dim them - one of my favorite features of them. Other Philips bulbs are hit-or-miss in how well they do this.

rgs92 wrote:Frugalinvestor: Something must be wrong there and maybe you should try another bulb or have a professional check your wiring or something.
I've been using tons of LEDs from Cree/Phillips/3M and other name brands for 10 years and never found one to be more than barely warm after long use and even in enclosed fixtures. That's a mystery to me.
Can someone else comment on this? Thanks.
Ours all get quite hot on the heatsink surface but everywhere else are cool to the touch (as they should be - 9W is still a lot of energy to dissipate, and the heat sink ensures that excess heat is drawn away from the fragile electronic drivers which are usually the part that fails in an LED bulb).

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

I've done the math several times. Lighting isn't a major expense for most of us, but why does that matter? Saved money is still saved money, and unless you're one of the unlucky people who apparently have power quality issues that kills LED's prematurely, it saves you time on replacing dead bulbs.

Our main bathroom is the latest place I've switched. The lights there are on a moderate amount (an hour or so a day, I suppose), so the payback on that switch with the Hyperikon bulbs is going take 2-3 years.

Some other quick numbers, based on 3 hours use per day, $0.12/kWh:

$5, 10 W LED = $18 cost per decade. Theoretically no bulb changes over that time (aside from defective bulbs or the previously mentioned issue a few people have)

$0.50, 60 W incandescent = $84 cost per decade, including 5-10 bulb changes.

$1, 14 W compact fluorescent = $19 per decade. No bulb changes, but the bulb is typically ~30% dimmer by the end of the decade, and the light produced is slightly sickly.

Annualized ROI for the LED's vs. incandescent in this example = 15.4%

All this assumes no increase in the price of electricity over that time, and no extra energy used for air conditioning to remove the extra heat produced.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

I replaced outdoor flood lights with CFB lamps, and was pretty proud of myself until the first time I turned them on. They were dim, and took a full 5 minutes to light fully. I just replaced them with Satco S9455 Par38 LED 3000K 40' Beam Spread Medium Base Light Bulb, 18W and love them. Bright, and instant on. I'll let you know in 25000 hours if they hold up.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:37 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:

Specifically, everything except the Phillips either made a humming noise (yes, I know you can buy special dimmers for LEDs, but the higher end LEDs don't need it, why can't they all work on older dimmers) or they would be too cool on the color spectrum when dimmed. Phillips "warm glow" branded bulbs get warmer as they dim, much like an incandescent does. My wife really hated that about every LED bulb I tried until Phillips. She wanted to replace everything back to incandescent.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Gadget wrote: She wanted to replace everything back to incandescent.
If it were only possible.... :annoyed