Recommendations on stackable washer/dryer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TxAg

Recommendations on stackable washer/dryer

Post by TxAg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 pm

We are interested in a new washer/dryer combo. Front loading stackable (full size) is necessary due to space.

We currently have a Frigidaire stackable combo that has been great. We bought it used, and it has been humming along for 10 years.

While price is a concern, the most important thing is a quality built machine that will last. Bells and whistles aren't necessary.

Any recommendations on models to look into or stay away from?

BriantheK

Re: Recommendations on stackable washer/dryer

Post by BriantheK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I bought a Whirlpool Duet washer from Home Depot when my Maytag Neptune went out. A year later, I've really been pleased with it. When the Neptune dryer dies, a Whirlpool Duet will go in its place.

Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 pm

BriantheK wrote:I bought a Whirlpool Duet washer from Home Depot when my Maytag Neptune went out. A year later, I've really been pleased with it. When the Neptune dryer dies, a Whirlpool Duet will go in its place.

Thanks for the rec. I'll take a look.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 pm

We've had several threads on stackable washer/dryer combinations. Here are two of them:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217303&p=3341501&h ... e#p3341501

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216523&p=3327635&h ... e#p3327635
Gordon

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 pm

TxAg:

In June 2015 we bought a Kenmore stackable washer-dryer model 417-6171. Our prior Kenmore stackable washer-dryer was excellent.

The new Kenmore stackable washer-dryer is the worst washer we ever owned. The instructions (not available at the store) say:
"Add items one at a time, each tightly bunched into its own "ball' to allow beneficial item interaction. Combine large and small items in a load. Load small items first."
The washer seldom gets clothes clean. It uses only a few inches of water--totally insufficient for effective cleaning. The chlorine dispenser goes directly into the tub without delay causing bleach concentration. There is no sound when its finished on either the washer or dryer.

Look elsewhere.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 am

We purchased a maytag front loader 2 years ago.
Last month it stopped working. Repairman was called and he said the control panel was shot.

He tried ordering A new one and they are not available anywere.He even tried ebay in hopes of
Finding one. No able to find part so we had to junk a 2 year old maytag .

Stay away from maytag

Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 am

Boats day wrote:We purchased a maytag front loader 2 years ago.
Last month it stopped working. Repairman was called and he said the control panel was shot.

He tried ordering A new one and they are not available anywere.He even tried ebay in hopes of

Stay away from maytag
Ouch!

Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:TxAg:

In June 2015 we bought a Kenmore stackable washer-dryer model 417-6171. Our prior Kenmore stackable washer-dryer was excellent.

The new Kenmore stackable washer-dryer is the worst washer we ever owned. The instructions (not available at the store) say:
"Add items one at a time, each tightly bunched into its own "ball' to allow beneficial item interaction. Combine large and small items in a load. Load small items first."
The washer seldom gets clothes clean. It uses only a few inches of water--totally insufficient for effective cleaning. The chlorine dispenser goes directly into the tub without delay causing bleach concentration. There is no sound when its finished on either the washer or dryer.

Look elsewhere.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you for the feedback, Taylor.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 am

TxAg wrote:While price is a concern, the most important thing is a quality built machine that will last.
Definitely provide a number or range. Miele, for example is definitely quality and built to last but if you're saying price is a concern it may be irrelevant to you.

Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm

takeshi wrote:
TxAg wrote:While price is a concern, the most important thing is a quality built machine that will last.
Definitely provide a number or range. Miele, for example is definitely quality and built to last but if you're saying price is a concern it may be irrelevant to you.
Never heard of Miele so probably out of my price range. Let's say under $2k for the pair

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Whirlpool Duet

ne2ca28

Post by ne2ca28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

gkaplan wrote:We've had several threads on stackable washer/dryer combinations. Here are two of them:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217303&p=3341501&h ... e#p3341501

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216523&p=3327635&h ... e#p3327635
Neither of these threads fall in the line of product recommendations. :oops: :sharebeer

ne2ca28

Post by ne2ca28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm

I purchased a top loader washer and dryer (GE), 5 years ago and we are looking for the same (front loaders with stacking option). After my research, LG's seem to have the best combination of price / feature and footprint. Some of the washers are 33+" deep, not including an extra 4 inches clearance needed. Keep that in mind when you are looking.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm

ne2ca28 wrote:I purchased a top loader washer and dryer (GE), 5 years ago and we are looking for the same (front loaders with stacking option). After my research, LG's seem to have the best combination of price / feature and footprint. Some of the washers are 33+" deep, not including an extra 4 inches clearance needed. Keep that in mind when you are looking.
Dumb question: I have an LG front loading washer (2015 Kenmore branded model). Am I limited to specific dryers (or only LG) to stack on top? I have a 2013 Whirlpool traditional dryer, but eventually want to replace this with stacked model on top of my existing washer for space reasons.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:TxAg:

Look elsewhere.

Best wishes.
Taylor
That model was manufactured by Kelvinator (Frigidaire). (417 prefix). Using only a few inches of water in itself is not the issue, my LG barely uses even that and is the most effective washer I've ever had. The 417.6171 seems to be a poor design.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

I purchased an all-in-one unit about twenty years ago. Dryer over washer. The dryer broke a few months ago, and I finally decided that I should replace the whole thing, since I don't know any affordable repair people in my area. That unit is still made.
My intellectual superiority will shortly be demonstrated here by a pithy quotation.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:01 am

duplicate
Last edited by pshonore on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

A lot of "floor" machines can also be stacked. Obviously, the controls have to be on the front of the panel and not on the back and it would be a front loader. We bought a Maytag set, used it on the floor for a number of years and then "stacked" it. I think most companies sell stacking kits which are usually just a gasket and a couple of clamps. Most appliance salespeople should know about this. By the way, my repair guy told us to stay from Samsung and LG. YMMV.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 am

pshonore wrote:A lot of "floor" machines can also be stacked. Obviously, the controls have to be on the front of the panel and not on the back and it would be a front loader. We bought a Maytag set, used it on the floor for a number of years and then "stacked" it. I think most companies sell stacking kits which are usually just a gasket and a couple of clamps. Most appliance salespeople should know about this. By the way, my repair guy told us to stay from Samsung and LG. YMMV.
He doesn't get enough business? :sharebeer I've had enough nightmares with Whirlpool washers (including their Maytag etc. labels). So far, my LG has been super reliable and does a great job washing.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 am

criticalmass wrote:
pshonore wrote:A lot of "floor" machines can also be stacked. Obviously, the controls have to be on the front of the panel and not on the back and it would be a front loader. We bought a Maytag set, used it on the floor for a number of years and then "stacked" it. I think most companies sell stacking kits which are usually just a gasket and a couple of clamps. Most appliance salespeople should know about this. By the way, my repair guy told us to stay from Samsung and LG. YMMV.
He doesn't get enough business? :sharebeer I've had enough nightmares with Whirlpool washers (including their Maytag etc. labels). So far, my LG has been super reliable and does a great job washing.
I think he mentioned parts availability for Samsung and LG was poor. We had major problems with an LG Range and Microwave and will never another LG anything. On the other hand we've had a Maytag W/D with no problems. Obviously everyone's experience can be different.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:50 am

pshonore wrote:
criticalmass wrote:He doesn't get enough business? I've had enough nightmares with Whirlpool washers (including their Maytag etc. labels). So far, my LG has been super reliable and does a great job washing.
I think he mentioned parts availability for Samsung and LG was poor. We had major problems with an LG Range and Microwave and will never another LG anything. On the other hand we've had a Maytag W/D with no problems. Obviously everyone's experience can be different.
So true about anecdotal experiences. My 20 year old Whirlpool top loader developed a leak recently. Never had any problems with it except rusting sheet metal. I figured it was probably time for a replacement, but thought I'd give it a look. Turns out the leak was from the drain pump housing. New part was $23 and simple to install. Knock wood, but hopefully I'll get a few more years out of it. Then I'm getting a Speed Queen.

I've heard the same story about parts availability on Korean appliances. And I think it's been confirmed in many threads here. It's enough to make me avoid them.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am

TxAg wrote:We are interested in a new washer/dryer combo. Front loading stackable (full size) is necessary due to space. Any recommendations on models to look into or stay away from?
Based on reliability and quality determined by Consumer Reports, we bought a stacking front-loader set made by LG from Costco just over a year ago, replacing our 1970s workhorse made back when Maytag was good. Our LGs have huge capacity, been completely reliable, and a delight to use.

-Marylander1

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Though I bought mine to stack and they are stackable, I don't use them that way (side by side). They are Samsungs and the dryer is DV42H5000GW and washer is WF42H5000AW. Best I've ever had. The stacking kit is around $40. They are quite large so you'd have to make sure you have enough space. I paid around $1200 for both but got a gift card also as a bonus.

They seem to do a great job cleaning. I typically use the fast cycle on the washer which takes only 29 minutes. I've had them 3 years so there is probably a newer model.

sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:51 pm

I bought an Electrolux 617 at the beginning of the year. It's fantastic and can be stacked with its dryer mate. The doors on both are also fully reversible (quite rare). As a front loader, you won't see a water level but the clothes are fully saturated.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Boats day wrote:We purchased a maytag front loader 2 years ago.

Stay away from maytag
Maytag used to be great. My previous washer dryerlasted 18 years. My mom has a set that are at least that old.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:57 pm

bogglizer wrote:I purchased an all-in-one unit about twenty years ago. Dryer over washer. The dryer broke a few months ago, and I finally decided that I should replace the whole thing, since I don't know any affordable repair people in my area. That unit is still made.

Who made that unit?

Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:49 pm

I appreciate the responses

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
bogglizer wrote:I purchased an all-in-one unit about twenty years ago. Dryer over washer. The dryer broke a few months ago, and I finally decided that I should replace the whole thing, since I don't know any affordable repair people in my area. That unit is still made.
Who made that unit?
Frigidaire, but you should be aware that there are only about two or so appliance manufacturers, so the same unit could be re-branded to almost anything.
My intellectual superiority will shortly be demonstrated here by a pithy quotation.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:41 pm

I bought a Bosch 500 Series stackable washer/dryer last December based on research I did, primarily Consumer Reports. So far both the washer and dryer work fine.
Gordon