Barcelona Hotel Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
El Greco

Barcelona Hotel Recommendations

Post by El Greco » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

Hi All:

DW and I are planning a trip to Spain in Mid-October for our 30th anniversary. We will be staying 7 nights in Barcelona and doing some day trips from there. Neither of us has ever been to Spain. We have also not traveled internationally for many years. We are looking for a nice hotel in Barcelona to use as our base without exceeding the $300-$400 a night price range. Suggestions welcome.

FraggleRock

Re: Barcelona Hotel Recommendations

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am

TripAdvicor.com will be helpful.
Consider AirBnB.com

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 am

I would put a priority on location, much nicer to be in the central, Eixample, district, or something nearby. You probably don't want to be out in the suburbs or the convention center areas. Look at Tripadvisor ratings (not just the number, but descriptions), and locate the places on the map. Plaza Catalunya and Las Ramblas (street) would be places to be near (though maybe a block or two away).

I don't have specific recommendations, as my stays in Barcelona were either in a short term apartment or a business hotel, but I think you should have no problem finding a good option in your price range unless there is some big event on.

Riversong

Post by Riversong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Violeta Hotel is very good, has a central locations and well below your price range.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm

We have stayed in several hotels in Barcelona. El Palace Barcelona, Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes 668, 08010 Barcelona, Spain
P: (+34-93) 510-11-30 is well located and has comfortable rooms. It's centrally located and you can walk to just about everything. For longer trips, taxis are cheap. We have also stayed at the Claris, Pau Claris, 150ES08009 Barcelona. It's also centrally located and very nice. They are not the cheapest nor the most expensive. Both offer early booking discounts and various packages. Lots to see and do. If you have the time, you can take train to Seville, which has a great science museum or to Girona, where the Dali museum is located. Of course, there is so much to see in Barcelona, you might just want to stay there. It's our favorite European city, with Florence as a close second.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm

When we were in Barcelona, we'd booked the Hotel Gaudi
It's right across from the Gaudi Museum and about a block from Las Ramblas. Get the upgrade to a terrace room from the regular room- then you have a view across to see the tourists looking at the museum (your viewing of the sight is free)and have a view of the cathedrals and the city. Las Ramblas has plenty of restaurants and entertainment right there and is very walkable ( I can say that because even I could do it after total knee replacement a few months before) (Reservations are required as they are usually booked-- tourists come in looking and are told sorry and are directed to other sites.) its not a high end place but it's well located and very reasonable. I didn't use their restaurant but instead found plenty of excellent places on Las Ramblas.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Hotel Barcelona Catedral is 2 doors down from the Cathedral Square in the Barrio Gotic.

We enjoyed a stay there in April. Location is superb, plenty of nearby places to eat, very helpful front desk, and a very nice room. We were there on Easter, a very popular time, and paid 135 to 245 Euros depending on the day.

We've also stayed at Evenia Rossello, but found it a bit further away from the things we wanted to see.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Good suggestions, so far. Keep em coming!

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Girlfriend and I spent a week in Barcelona in June, it is a fantastic city and relatively inexpensive.

We stayed in an Airbnb in the Gracia neighborhood, which was charming, well situated, and eminently walkable. Ours was a small apartment for ~$90/night.

On your budget you could have a luxurious Airbnb all to yourselves, if that appeals to you. I cannot speak to hotels.

We are younger than you so that may affect preferences.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Postby inittowinit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

On your budget you could have a luxurious Airbnb all to yourselves, if that appeals to you. I cannot speak to hotels.

We are younger than you so that may affect preferences.
Thanks for the suggestion. When we were younger, we did the traditional Bed and Breakfast thing several times but never quite cared for it. We definitely prefer hotels at this stage of the game.

DireWolf

Post by DireWolf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Olivia Balmes Hotel. Perfecto.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:58 pm

I hesitate to post this because your budget will allow you something more high end, but in case anyone else is also looking, we stayed at the NH Duc de la Victoria and were very happy. The room was nice and the location was awesome.

P.S. With your avatar (and you've never been to Spain?) disfrutalo (enjoy) and I hope you're spending a day in Toledo.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Damn not exceeding $300 a night? I had a hostel in Barca for $15 a night haha. Best time ever, then again Im 26.

Youll LOVE Barcelona. The food is out of this world. Even if youre not a soccer fan I still recommend you check out Camp Nou and possibly even see a game.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm

At that budget, in October, you may as well stay at the Hotel Arts Ritz Carlton.

jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:58 pm

I used AirBnB we had a semi-luxury 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen (not that we ate much at home in the best food city in the world) for about $100 / night. This is about 1 yr ago.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am

I stayed at the Yurbban Trafalgar Hotel in February. It was newer and nice. Under $100 a night. The location was pretty central and staff very good.

Edit: The rooms seem to be more like $200/night now.

nursekelly

Post by nursekelly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm

We spent 5 nights at Le Meridien on Las Ramblas before a cruise. The location was very convenient for the day trips we went on and for catching the hop on/hop off buses and other local transportation. The area was also very walkable for shopping and restaurants. Barcelona is a beautiful city.

azb

Post by azb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I second the recommendation for Olivia Balmes. Convenient location and a really great staff.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 pm

I used Chic and Basic. It is close to the waterfront, 1/2 block from the Metro and another block off Ramblas. Great location!

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 pm

We stayed at Marriott Barcelona Forum. Great location on the beach/Forum. Easy to get around and wonderful morning walks along the water. I'd avoid stayin near Las Ramblas but thats just me. Make sure to hop the train to Sitges (a beautiful small beach town) for a day and enjoy being amongst the locals on the beach.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 pm

by azb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I second the recommendation for Olivia Balmes. Convenient location and a really great staff.
Looked great on TripAdvisor, unfortunately, it is already booked up for my dates as is Yurban Trafalgar and Violeta :( . Looks like I better book something pretty fast.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Barcelona is a popular location for conventions, some quite large, which can soak up a lot of the higher end hotel rooms. If there are only certain days of non-availability, you might consider an alternate city for a couple of days (maybe Girona or somewhere on Costa Brava).

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 am

Hotel Murmuri. Great location.

Don't stay in Las Ramblas area unless you're going to stitch your wallet into your pants. Great place to visit but anyone who knows Barcelona will tell you to be street smart.

You'll love the region. Read up on Gaudi.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:29 am

When my wife and I, with our daughter, visited Barcelona a couple of years ago in December, we decided not to stay around La Ramblas to avoid the noise. We opted instead to stay closer to the La Sagrada Familia neighborhood in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom place in Hispanos 7 Suiza (considered an apartment/hotel) and we thought the accommodations were superb (less than $200 a night). We could see the Sagrada Familia from our window.
Public transportation in Barcelona (aka Barna) is quite good and even taxis are relatively cheap so getting around is pretty easy. We love to walk so we just walked all over the place but used the subway when we needed to. Make sure to get a T10 card...a great deal!
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies. We ended up booking the H10 Metropolitan Hotel. We will be staying for a week. From there we plan to do some pretty thorough sightseeing in Barcelona (Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, Montjuic, etc) Plus do a couple of day trips. Montserrat, definitely, possibly Taragona for the Roman ruins. We are still mulling this over. We also plan to eat and drink. A lot. :D

koozie

Post by koozie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I also have plans to visit Barcelona in mid- October. I've been watching the news closely and it seems like an interesting time to visit the area given current events with the Catalonia referendum on independence.

From the experiences the BH travelers have had there, does anyone have any thoughts about safety for tourists in Barcelona these days?

OP, are your plans affected?

Thanks in advance.
* I've been lurking around bogleheads for a while, but I finally signed up to post today. I'm looking forward to participating in the forum now. :D

liberty53

Post by liberty53 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Add another to the list. I'm going to Barcelona in a few weeks. It will be my first time there.

Haven't made hotel reservations yet though.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Wife and I stayed in a great hotel, something like Hotel Catedral or close to it. Sent another couple there and they liked it as well. It is about 2 streets from Placa Catalunya (?spelling). So right there near all the action. At the time (5 years ago) there was a great, little Vietnamese restaurant right next door.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am

by koozie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I also have plans to visit Barcelona in mid- October. I've been watching the news closely and it seems like an interesting time to visit the area given current events with the Catalonia referendum on independence.

From the experiences the BH travelers have had there, does anyone have any thoughts about safety for tourists in Barcelona these days?

OP, are your plans affected?

Thanks in advance.
OP here. Yes, Koozie, we're still going. We've been keeping a close eye on the situation. It seems more like political gamesmanship than an all out revolt. And no violence was aimed at any tourists. So we're keeping our fingers crossed. I have been checking the news and Barcelona forums on TripAdvisor and all seems OK there for now. We're expecting at least one day-long General strike while we're there, but that seems to be par for the course in many European countries. We have trip insurance, but it won't be triggered unless there is big time trouble there. We're just going to go with the flow and avoid demonstrations and rallies. Let's have drink while you're there. (we may need one) :sharebeer

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:25 am

I booked a hotel that has view of La Sagrada Familia but I’m wondering if it’s worth it, maybe I should book near La Barceloneta, nearer to the ocean. But the week I booked was the cheapest and the price jumps to 3 times the week afterwards, I just felt compelled to take advantage of the deal.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:25 am
I booked a hotel that has view of La Sagrada Familia but I’m wondering if it’s worth it, maybe I should book near La Barceloneta, nearer to the ocean. But the week I booked was the cheapest and the price jumps to 3 times the week afterwards, I just felt compelled to take advantage of the deal.
Barcelonetta wouldn't be my choice unless you wanted to spend most of your time on the beach. I didn't care for the vibe (not unsafe, but no charm).