Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi,
I am cooking more lately, mostly with microwaving. The 11.5 inch plates I have get super hot and I need dish towels or pot holders to remove them from the microwave.. I even bought those silicon microwave covers that are put on the microwave turntable with the plate on top that you can then use to lift the plates, but it still is too hot. I only need a set of 4 or so, about 11 or 12 inches in diameter. I am a lifetime bachelor at this point so patterns arent important.... Any ideas?

Iliketoridemybike
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

Chinet?

bloom2708
Posts: 4107
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

We are still using our Corelle "Crazy Daisy" plates. Quite amazingly durable and microwavable. Retro cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Corelle-Corni ... Swx6pYnlA3
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

runner3081
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:17 pm

bloom2708 wrote:We are still using our Corelle "Crazy Daisy" plates. Quite amazingly durable and microwavable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Corelle-Corni ... Swx6pYnlA3
Agreed. We have all Correlle, they do not get hot.

Lifetime warranty is great as well. With a young child, we have definitely used their warranty. Sturdy, but still breakable.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:22 pm

I'd heat the food in something else - pyrex storage and cooking dish or something. Then transfer it to the plate.

If you are actually cooking (as opposed to just warming) a dinner plate is not an appropriate choice as they are not intended for cooking. If you are just warming, shorten the nuke time and let the food sit a minute or two for the heat to spread to the center of the food. I'd still use a container intended for cooking and transfer the food when it is ready.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:32 pm

What kind of plates are you using? Is it possible they have some kind of metal, maybe in the glaze? China and porcelain and stoneware and glass do not generally heat up in the microwave except by conduction from the food cooked on them.

blueberry
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by blueberry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:32 pm

I have modern corelle (purchased within the last 5 years), and it gets a bit hot but not too hot to hold on the edges, and I like that it puts a little crisp on. It's also incredibly thin, light, and it stacks unbelievably well (prob 4/1 thickness compared to my fiesta ware). I do believe it would break into a million sharp pieces if dropped but haven't had the chance to see that yet.

User avatar
climber2020
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by climber2020 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 pm

I use corelle plates. They're almost 20 years old and still awesome.

Try putting less on the plate when you heat stuff up. The only part of my plate that gets really hot is the area that has food on top of it. The other parts are fine.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:.....except by conduction from the food cooked on them.
Agreed. This might be a "nuke too long" problem, not a plate problem.

Good Listener, tell us more about what you are "cooking".

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 3665
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by mhc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:43 pm

When I was a bachelor, my plates never got hot in the microwave and didn't need to be washed. I could get a role of them for $1 or so.

lightheir
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by lightheir » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Your plates that 'get hot' in the microwave are likely not microwavable (due to the heat buildup).

If you purchase 'microwave-save' dishes, the dishes themselves should really get hot only if the food/liquid they are holding get hot and transfer heat to the plate. The plate material themselves should not get very hot due to the microwave.

I have a few mugs that definitely have this problem - if microwaving liquid, the cups themselves get significantly hotter to than the liquid (which is dangerous, so I don't use them in the microwave anymore). None of my microwave-save stamped mugs have this problem.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 5348
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:49 pm

I use an old Pyrex pie pan as a plate for the microwave plus small Anchor Hocking glass casseroles and their lids. Putting frozen food on china or earthenware in the microwave can cause the dish to crack. Almost any container will absorb heat from the food, though.

I have been using the 12 oz. version of these for more than 35 years and this 20 oz. size for about 10 years, just replaced them with some from Target:

https://www.target.com/p/anchor-hocking ... A-14442471

Anchor Hocking also makes the similar but smaller 12 oz. casserole:

https://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-8 ... roduct_top

They are so handy because they can be used for storing, cooking, and serving food and they can go from the refrigerator straight to the microwave. The lids can be used as plates. Even when the bowl or lid is too hot, the handles are usually cool enough to touch.
Last edited by Pajamas on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 pm

I have some Blue Willow ceramic plates and some clear glass plates. The Blue Willow ceramic plates always get at least warm to the touch, if not hot, in the microwave. The glass plates do better. I'd suggest you go buy a small set (four, six, whatever) of clear glass plates and such, and use that for microwaving.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by onthecusp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Your plates are probably a hard melamine plastic. We have some of them and also Corelleware. It is a big difference.

I still nuke things on the plastic if it is just a mild warming, but for any major heating (meat or boiling liquid) I use the Corelleware or other microwave safe item.

Those things get hot too, but from the hot food not from direct heating.

earlyout
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by earlyout » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Paper plates work quite well, they only get hot where the food is. And you don't have to clean them.

123
Posts: 3286
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by 123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:09 pm

climber2020 wrote:I use corelle plates. They're almost 20 years old and still awesome.

Try putting less on the plate when you heat stuff up. The only part of my plate that gets really hot is the area that has food on top of it. The other parts are fine.
+1
Some of ours are over 40 years old and still going strong. They are timeless plain white.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

daveydoo
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by daveydoo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Good Listener wrote:The 11.5 inch plates I have get super hot and I need dish towels or pot holders to remove them from the microwave.
Same. We just transitioned from the surviving vestiges of our wedding "everyday" china to some plain white porcelain vintage mid-century dishes from a relative. The older dishes ("new" to us, though) get way hotter in the microwave than what we're used to. If you're using old stuff, consider new and marked "microwave-safe," etc. -- can't be more scientific than that. Others have speculated above about metal in the glaze or ceramic -- perhaps.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

User avatar
Dendritic Tree
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Dendritic Tree » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:29 pm

Just a caution - dishware marked "microwave safe" can still get super hot. I know from unfortunate personal experience. "Microwave safe" seems to be more of a marketing term than an objective standard. I agree with all the Corelle recommendations though,

User avatar
El Greco
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by El Greco » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 pm

How old are your plates? DW and I bought a set of stoneware from Pottery Barn about ten years ago. When first purchased, the plates and coffee cups did not get hot in the microwave. Now most of them get searing hot. When I inspect them carefully I can see micro-cracks in the glaze, probably from years of use, dishwashing, microwaving, etc. My theory is that these cracks in the glass glaze allow the microwaves to penetrate to the fired clay plate and heat it up just like food. If your dishes are old and have fine micro-cracks in them, it's time for replacements. I have tested this theory by using some pristine extra plates that I had bought, stored in the attic and never used till now and they don't get hot in the microwave.

Tamales
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Tamales » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Yep, the "microwave safe" label does not mean the plate (or whatever) won't get hot. Some of them get very hot. I thought microwave safe had to do with leaching toxic chemicals but an online search shows the definition is unclear.

All sorts of "internet theories" on why plates/mugs/dishes get hot, but the definitive answer is not clear.

User avatar
5th_Dimension
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by 5th_Dimension » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 pm

When most households didn't have microwaves I purchased one. It came with a manual which gave a method for testing whether a plate or cup was microwave safe, because there really wasn't a lot of microwave safe stuff out yet. Place the item to be tested in the microwave with a cup of water. The water will heat up but the item being tested should remain cool. If it heats as well it is not microwave safe.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

squirm
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by squirm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Good Listener wrote:Hi,
I am cooking more lately, mostly with microwaving. The 11.5 inch plates I have get super hot and I need dish towels or pot holders to remove them from the microwave.. I even bought those silicon microwave covers that are put on the microwave turntable with the plate on top that you can then use to lift the plates, but it still is too hot. I only need a set of 4 or so, about 11 or 12 inches in diameter. I am a lifetime bachelor at this point so patterns arent important.... Any ideas?
They're probably not microwave safe...look on back it should state if it is, unless they're old.

mhalley
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 pm

people have different thoughts on what microwave safe means.
. 49% of you told us that "microwave safe" means that a product will not break, crack, shatter, or become damaged in some way when it's heated in the microwave oven. "I figure it means that the dish won't break into a million pieces!" "You can use it in the microwave without fear of it blowing up."
36% of you think that "microwave safe" means that a product is safe for use in the microwave but can't say what that specifically means.
32% of you think "microwave safe" means a product won't leach harmful or toxic chemicals or substances into food.
Only 15% of you consider "microwave safe" to mean that a product won't get hot when heated in the microwave. "That you won't burn your hand getting it out!!" "It lets the microwaves go to the food and doesn't heat."
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cooking ... stigation/

Not Getting hot apparantlty is not a criteria for being microwave safe, but there is maximum temperatures it can reach. Apparently 5 minutes on high is the cutoff between heating and cooking.
According to this testing method, to pass the microwave safe test the temperature of the 'ware must not exceed 160 degrees at one minute or 163 at 5 minutes, and cup and mug handles must not exceed 140 degrees and the body not exceed 250! Degrees. Ouch.
http://files.instrument.com.cn/bbs/upfi ... 123951.pdf

Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

retiredjg wrote:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:.....except by conduction from the food cooked on them.
Agreed. This might be a "nuke too long" problem, not a plate problem.

Good Listener, tell us more about what you are "cooking".
I microwave everything. The problem with the plates is when I put chicken on it for others. It even heats the silicon pad. I have these unbelievable large bowls (but not plates) for 20 years from a company called Cambro that are great.

NonnyGoGo
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by NonnyGoGo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:37 pm

You can buy one of these microwave trays for about $1 at Daiso. You put your regular plate/bowl on top. http://www.daisojapan.com/p-30445-micro ... 12pks.aspx

lightheir
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by lightheir » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Tamales wrote:Yep, the "microwave safe" label does not mean the plate (or whatever) won't get hot. Some of them get very hot. I thought microwave safe had to do with leaching toxic chemicals but an online search shows the definition is unclear.

All sorts of "internet theories" on why plates/mugs/dishes get hot, but the definitive answer is not clear.
While this is true, trust me - if your mug/plate is truly "not microwave safe", it will get WAYYY hotter than the typical increasing hotness of a microwave safe mug/plate. You can burn yourself pretty easily due to the extreme heat buildup in the non-microwave safe mug even in a seemingly short microwave time. It's a big difference, even if it's true that the microwave-safe plates do get warmer and even hot with long enough cook times.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Good Listener wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:.....except by conduction from the food cooked on them.
Agreed. This might be a "nuke too long" problem, not a plate problem.

Good Listener, tell us more about what you are "cooking".
I microwave everything. The problem with the plates is when I put chicken on it for others. It even heats the silicon pad. I have these unbelievable large bowls (but not plates) for 20 years from a company called Cambro that are great.
So, you are saying that you put raw chicken on a plate and microwave it? I can't imagine how that could work very well.

If the plate is getting hot, there is something "not right" with the plate or you are nuking it so long that the temperature of the chicken is heating the plate. In that case, it seems to me the chicken would be very overcooked. Chicken only needs to get to 160 to 180 degrees F to be done.

If I were you, I'd consider getting some glass pie pans or pyrex casserole dishes to "cook" in/on and then transferring the cooked food onto a plate. In general, plates are not built for cooking although some can be used for warming.

random_walker_77
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 pm

According to an article I read earlier this year, there's a chemistry angle on this. Earthenware contains water and will heat in a microwave, but stoneware and porcelain will have eliminated all water:

https://eic.rsc.org/feature/the-chemist ... 45.article
Stoneware vs earthenware

Pots can be classified according to the temperature they have been fired at - earthenware (1000-1150ºC), stoneware and porcelain (>1200ºC). In every case the clay composition has to be so that at the 'maturing temperature' it begins to vitrify and the partial melting of some of its components provides the 'glue' to provide its strength.

Other chemical changes take place during firing. These include burning off all organic matter often found in many clays, the decomposition of carbonates, which are common ingredients of many glazes, and further crosslinking of metakaolinite to give a three-dimensional network with the elimination of water. This process does not go to completion up to earthenware temperatures,4,5 but at stoneware temperatures all water is gone. It is difficult to believe that water is present in pots fired to earthenware temperatures, but easy to demonstrate:

Take two cups, one earthenware and one stoneware, and put water in both. Put them into a microwave and run it at full power for 2-3 minutes. The water in both should be hot; the handle of the earthenware cup will also be hot, while that of the stoneware cup will be cold. Since microwave ovens heat water by causing water molecules to move faster, the hot handle on the earthenware cup indicates the presence of free, mobile water molecules.

At stoneware temperatures, the metakaolinite undergoes transformation into mullite (3Al2 O3.2SiO2) which forms needle-like crystals, while the feldspar present melts into a glass, binding the mullite crystals together. These two structural changes account for the much greater hardness and strength of stoneware over earthenware.

bayview
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by bayview » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:49 pm

blueberry wrote:I have modern corelle (purchased within the last 5 years), and it gets a bit hot but not too hot to hold on the edges, and I like that it puts a little crisp on. It's also incredibly thin, light, and it stacks unbelievably well (prob 4/1 thickness compared to my fiesta ware). I do believe it would break into a million sharp pieces if dropped but haven't had the chance to see that yet.
Your belief is correct.

I once dropped a Corelleware dinner plate, and it broke into a million shards of semi-translucent white glass. It was quite impressive. As I go barefoot in the house, I continued to pick up eensie bits of glass via skin for a month, stuff too small for the vacuum to catch.

Back to the OP, I'd recommend nuking your food in a Pyrex or similar container, letting it sit a minute to finish cooking/ heating, and then transferring to your plate. Yes, two dishes to wash instead of one, but hey, aren't you worth it? :-D
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:21 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Good Listener wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:.....except by conduction from the food cooked on them.
Agreed. This might be a "nuke too long" problem, not a plate problem.

Good Listener, tell us more about what you are "cooking".
I microwave everything. The problem with the plates is when I put chicken on it for others. It even heats the silicon pad. I have these unbelievable large bowls (but not plates) for 20 years from a company called Cambro that are great.
So, you are saying that you put raw chicken on a plate and microwave it? I can't imagine how that could work very well.

If the plate is getting hot, there is something "not right" with the plate or you are nuking it so long that the temperature of the chicken is heating the plate. In that case, it seems to me the chicken would be very overcooked. Chicken only needs to get to 160 to 180 degrees F to be done.

If I were you, I'd consider getting some glass pie pans or pyrex casserole dishes to "cook" in/on and then transferring the cooked food onto a plate. In general, plates are not built for cooking although some can be used for warming.
It is chicken already cooked that is then being heated.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Good Listener wrote:It is chicken already cooked that is then being heated.
Ok. Heating an already cooked food is an entirely different thing from "cooking". But I think for you the solution may be the same.

Either your plates are not right for the microwave (by design or just wear and tear) or you are heating way way too long. I think you'd know if you are heating way to long because the chicken would be awful.

Do the heating in something else - pyrex is always good - and transfer the food to a plate for eating. Using plates that get "too hot" (when it is not the result of nuking too long) just feels like a safety issue to me. Not just getting burned or dropping the plates....I'm wondering if they could just fall apart (or explode?) with hot food and shards going everywhere.

Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Amazing followup. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and hanging in the kitchen area were set of 4 microwave plates that "stay cool in the microwaves ". $6 for 4. 10 inch diameter with a little outpouch on 1 side. A nonbreakable material and quite light. It works.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:08 pm

Good to hear. :happy

iamlucky13
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Dendritic Tree wrote:Just a caution - dishware marked "microwave safe" can still get super hot. I know from unfortunate personal experience. "Microwave safe" seems to be more of a marketing term than an objective standard. I agree with all the Corelle recommendations though,
Microwave safe means it's not going to break in the microwave, or cause other issues like metal objects often do. It can and should still be expected to get hot. The same applies, of course, to oven-safe dishes getting hot in the oven - I suppose that's just more obvious based on experience. It's easy to get used to certain dishes staying a reasonable temperature in the microwave and associate that effect with the microwave, rather than the way the microwave interacts with the dish.

The bottom line is different materials absorb microwaves differently.

For example, we received a lot of Noritake-brand stoneware we asked for as wedding gifts. While nice to eat off of due to it's heft, the stoneware definitely gets far hotter in the microwave than the Corelleware I used before we were married did. Reheating refrigerated foods in those dishes is really a bit frustrating, because the bowl can be scolding hot, but the soup mostly cold.

As a result, we've kept some Corelleware around, especially their casserole dishes, partly for use in the microwave.

There's definitely a theme in this thread. Corelleware is often under-appreciated, I think, because it's become so cheap and there are many nicer looking materials. It's really a great product though.

User avatar
ThePrune
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Midland, MI

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by ThePrune » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:23 pm

random_walker_77 came the closest to understanding the root cause for this problem:
random_walker_77 wrote:According to an article I read earlier this year, there's a chemistry angle on this. Earthenware contains water and will heat in a microwave, but stoneware and porcelain will have eliminated all water:

https://eic.rsc.org/feature/the-chemist ... 45.article
Microwaves are specifically tuned to interact strongly with water molecules(more specifically, the hydroxyl bonds). So if water gets into a porous ceramic plate (or cup), then that plate (or cup) WILL get super hot.

A truly microwave safe plate of cup will have been "fired" (the ceramic engineering term for thermal processing) to the point where there is no longer any "open porosity" - meaning no interconnected path for water to wick its way deep into the plate or cup. (Porosity that isn't interconnected is termed "closed porosity".)

Plenty of ceramic plates and cups have open porosity - think stoneware. Just because something is called "porcelain" doesn't mean that it lacks such open porosity, but this boils down to a question of the degree of quality in the final ceramic item. A true "china" will not have any open porosity, but who would ever run such expensive items in a microwave to begin with?!

You might think that a good glaze will keep water from getting into a porous ceramic plate or cup, but life never seems to work that way. The usual route of entry is along the base where there is always a narrow band that lacks glaze. (This is where the ceramic part sat on its support plate during the glaze firing process.) In my experience with this problem, hand washing doesn't lead to much water penetration into the ceramic items, but dishwasher processing is guaranteed to lead to water penetration.

Corelleware items start out as dense glass that is given a special heat treatment to give it much higher strength and toughness than ordinary glass. It has no porosity at all and in my experience always works fine in a microwave as long as there is sufficient food (water molecules) on the plate to provide the minimum required level of microwave interaction.
_______________________________________________________

I have some favorite cups that developed this self-heating problem. Here's how I solved it!

First you need to drive out the water from inside the ceramic item. Put the items to be treated into a cold kitchen oven. Slowly heat the items in your oven, stopping at about 150F for 30 minutes. Then slowly heating the oven to at least 300F over about 1 hours time. Let the item heat at 300F for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours. Then turn off the oven, allowing the items to cool with the oven. DO NOT take these items out of a hot oven.

Next, locate the narrow band at the base of the ceramic item that lacks glaze. Using a slow curing epoxy (I like using a clear, 24 hour cure variety) carefully spread a thin layer of the liquid epoxy completely over this unglazed region. Slightly overlap the glazed region to get a good seal.

After this treatment, my cups cease their self-heating. But for these cups I always hand wash them afterwards.

Art ThePrune
Ph.D. Ceramic Engineer (retired)
Last edited by ThePrune on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.

retiredjg
Posts: 32670
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by retiredjg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:16 am

The things I learn here sometiimes amaze me.... :shock:

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by gasdoc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:27 am

Paper plates and paper bowls, then transfer to table dishes.

Gasdoc

squirm
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by squirm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:47 pm

I've had dishes that weren't microwave safe...honestly the food wouldn't heat up, only the bowl did, it would get extremely hot. I had enough of it and just tossed them. Microwave safe dishes IMO shouldn't heat up, the ones that do and are labeled microwave safe might just have a fake label on it.

Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Amazing followup. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and hanging in the kitchen area were set of 4 microwave plates that "stay cool in the microwaves ". $6 for 4. 10 inch diameter with a little outpouch on 1 side. A nonbreakable material and quite light. It works.
I am now looking for a new solution. The plates scratch with every knife cut and now have embedded red from my crushed tomatoes and cayenne.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 5348
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Any plate will get hot from conduction. Since you are a bachelor and don't care about the pattern, I would suggest getting glass plates. They are thick and solid, so they can absorb more heat without a huge increase in temperature. Glass shouldn't leach chemicals into your food or scratch easily.

https://www.target.com/p/lys-glass-dinn ... A-50695978

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 4599
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: 10/90 Allocation - Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Corelle.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:37 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Amazing followup. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and hanging in the kitchen area were set of 4 microwave plates that "stay cool in the microwaves ". $6 for 4. 10 inch diameter with a little outpouch on 1 side. A nonbreakable material and quite light. It works.
I am now looking for a new solution. The plates scratch with every knife cut and now have embedded red from my crushed tomatoes and cayenne.
To be fair, you got 4 plates for $6 and got about half a year of use out of them. That's not too bad considering how cheap the plates were to begin with. If you want something that lasts a long time, invest in the Corelle plates like everyone else has been recommending. You can get a set of 6 Corelle dinner plates at Target for under $20 right now. I'm sure other stores have similar pricing.

Shikoku
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 pm
Location: USA

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Shikoku » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 pm

ThePrune wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:23 pm
random_walker_77 came the closest to understanding the root cause for this problem:
random_walker_77 wrote:According to an article I read earlier this year, there's a chemistry angle on this. Earthenware contains water and will heat in a microwave, but stoneware and porcelain will have eliminated all water:

https://eic.rsc.org/feature/the-chemist ... 45.article
Microwaves are specifically tuned to interact strongly with water molecules(more specifically, the hydroxyl bonds). So if water gets into a porous ceramic plate (or cup), then that plate (or cup) WILL get super hot.

A truly microwave safe plate of cup will have been "fired" (the ceramic engineering term for thermal processing) to the point where there is no longer any "open porosity" - meaning no interconnected path for water to wick its way deep into the plate or cup. (Porosity that isn't interconnected is termed "closed porosity".)

Plenty of ceramic plates and cups have open porosity - think stoneware. Just because something is called "porcelain" doesn't mean that it lacks such open porosity, but this boils down to a question of the degree of quality in the final ceramic item. A true "china" will not have any open porosity, but who would ever run such expensive items in a microwave to begin with?!

You might think that a good glaze will keep water from getting into a porous ceramic plate or cup, but life never seems to work that way. The usual route of entry is along the base where there is always a narrow band that lacks glaze. (This is where the ceramic part sat on its support plate during the glaze firing process.) In my experience with this problem, hand washing doesn't lead to much water penetration into the ceramic items, but dishwasher processing is guaranteed to lead to water penetration.

Corelleware items start out as dense glass that is given a special heat treatment to give it much higher strength and toughness than ordinary glass. It has no porosity at all and in my experience always works fine in a microwave as long as there is sufficient food (water molecules) on the plate to provide the minimum required level of microwave interaction.
_______________________________________________________

I have some favorite cups that developed this self-heating problem. Here's how I solved it!

First you need to drive out the water from inside the ceramic item. Put the items to be treated into a cold kitchen oven. Slowly heat the items in your oven, stopping at about 150F for 30 minutes. Then slowly heating the oven to at least 300F over about 1 hours time. Let the item heat at 300F for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours. Then turn off the oven, allowing the items to cool with the oven. DO NOT take these items out of a hot oven.

Next, locate the narrow band at the base of the ceramic item that lacks glaze. Using a slow curing epoxy (I like using a clear, 24 hour cure variety) carefully spread a thin layer of the liquid epoxy completely over this unglazed region. Slightly overlap the glazed region to get a good seal.

After this treatment, my cups cease their self-heating. But for these cups I always hand wash them afterwards.

Art ThePrune
Ph.D. Ceramic Engineer (retired)
Thank you very much. Enlightening explanation. Now I understand why my favorite cup gets much hotter than before when used in microwave. (It has partially lost its glaze over the years.)
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

Good Listener
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Good Listener » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:37 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Amazing followup. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and hanging in the kitchen area were set of 4 microwave plates that "stay cool in the microwaves ". $6 for 4. 10 inch diameter with a little outpouch on 1 side. A nonbreakable material and quite light. It works.
I am now looking for a new solution. The plates scratch with every knife cut and now have embedded red from my crushed tomatoes and cayenne.
To be fair, you got 4 plates for $6 and got about half a year of use out of them. That's not too bad considering how cheap the plates were to begin with. If you want something that lasts a long time, invest in the Corelle plates like everyone else has been recommending. You can get a set of 6 Corelle dinner plates at Target for under $20 right now. I'm sure other stores have similar pricing.
I have Corelle plates. Those are the ones that get so hot !! I'd happily pay $20 a plate if it did what I wanted.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Dinner plates that do not get so hot after microwaving?

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 pm
I have Corelle plates. Those are the ones that get so hot !! I'd happily pay $20 a plate if it did what I wanted.
Two thoughts:

Try some generic stoneware or ceramic sets from a big box store and see if it's any better, but I always use a pot holder with anything I put in the microwave except for mugs (the handles usually stay cool).

Try using 50% power with short cook times and frequent stirring/turning food over (e.g. 50% power for 1.5 minutes, stir, repeat). This helps with more even heating and helps avoid overheating. If the food is super-heated, the plate its on is going to get warm simply because the food is too warm.

Post Reply