2010 Civic AC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kmurp

2010 Civic AC

Post by kmurp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 am

My daughter has a 2010 civic with about 60k miles. Last night, on her drive home, the AC quit working. Strangely enough the same thing happened to me with a 1995 Accord at about the same mileage years ago. My question is: is this likely an expensive repair or could it be easy to fix?

dream_chaser

Re: 2010 Civic AC

Post by dream_chaser » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 am

Hard to say with the information given, but it's rarely an easy fix.

Avoid any sort of stop-leak or fix-in-a-bottle. If you add refrigerant, avoid ones with leak sealer built in.

The refrigerant may be leaking, in that case a recharge might get you by before it leaks out again. The fix here would be to recharge the system and add UV dye, drive the car for a while, then return to view the dye on the lines to find the leak. The system would then need opened and leak repaired.

The compressor could be shot. A new compressor is probably several hundred dollars, I've had good luck with junkyard units for under $100.

Or anything in between. Wiring, compressor clutch, clog, broken belt, etc. Anytime the system is opened it has to be vacuumed down and then recharged, a process which probably costs $100 on its own.

The system is not overly complicated if you're mechanical at all, but the cost of entry can be high needing a vacuum pump and gauges.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 am

dream_chaser wrote:
The compressor could be shot. A new compressor is probably several hundred dollars, I've had good luck with junkyard units for under $100.

Or anything in between. Wiring, compressor clutch, clog, broken belt, etc.
I had the a/c fail on my 2009 Honda CR*V around 100,000 miles. Problem was the compressor clutch; mechanic also changed an electrical coil in the compressor. The total bill was just under $1,000. If you buy an aftermarket compressor yourself, it may be a couple hundred, as dream chaser says. However, most places will double the parts cost and add labor, of course, plus the refrigerant.

When my system failed, it was intermittent for a while before it quit working all together.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am

It could be so many things, it's impossible to say.

I've had a valve that was leaking. Replaced the valve and had it recharged for less than $200.

I've have the magnet weaken so that the clutch did not engage. I fixed that with a screw driver and a wrench.

If you had to replace the clutch, it would probably cost her less than a $100 if you did it yourself.

A new compressor would set her back pretty penny at the shop.

JT

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am

Turns out it was the compressor. When that failed on my old Accord at around 60,000 miles I didn't fix it. This time, we are fixing it. I don't think the car would be worth as much on trade without AC and if she is thinking about moving south next summer so AC will be important.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 pm

In my state, it is impossible to drive in summer without AC. Luckily, I've never had problem with Air Conditioner.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 am

kmurp wrote:My daughter has a 2010 civic with about 60k miles. Last night, on her drive home, the AC quit working. Strangely enough the same thing happened to me with a 1995 Accord at about the same mileage years ago. My question is: is this likely an expensive repair or could it be easy to fix?
This happened to me two summers ago with my 2008 Civic. I checked the pressure, and it seemed to be OK. Worrying it would be the compressor, I searched some Civic forums, and they were recommending to check the relay.For me it was the relay, and it was a $6 fix.

I'd start with the leak check, and relay.

Gufomel

Post by Gufomel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:25 am

A few years ago the A/C failed in our 2003 Accord with ~150k miles. It was the compressor. We decided to have it fixed for ~$1k. Exactly a year later, it failed again, but a different part (can't remember what). We were quoted ~$1k again for the fix. Decided to trade it in for $2k and be done with it.