Wooden flooring in kitchen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
unclescrooge

Wooden flooring in kitchen

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm remodeling a house, and wife wants an open floor plan. So we will have a very large living room and kitchen and she wants wood flooring throughout.

As impractical as this is, this seems to be the latest trend in high end homes in SoCal.

For those of you that went this route, how would you rate your experience. Would you do it again? Anything to be aware of?

GreenGrowTheDollars

Re: Wooden flooring in kitchen

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 pm

It has worked fine for us, and I cook a lot. I'd rather have wood than tile.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 am

I was massively skeptical when my wife wanted this in the last house we had. It worked out just fine and I miss the warm feeling, but not half as much as my wife misses it. Just wipe up spills promptly. It was a traditional tongue and groove oak floor. Prefinished.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:22 am

love ours, which is on the entire first floor except the master bedroom.
engineered wood. dog and messes i bring in from the golf course where we live are no problem.
"warm up" the feel with some nice area rugs (we did)
robotic floor cleaner .... "priceless"

bhtomj

Post by bhtomj » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:07 am

We added Oak floors in our kitchen remodel in 2008 after removing carpeting throughout the house (prev owner). We really use our kitchen so the floors can get messy. The shark steam mop does a nice job cleaning those stuck on messes. Roomba gets the rest.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:36 am

Working great for us so far. Love it

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 am

We are in the middle of a major remodel including flooring. Engineered wood throughout the house installed next week everywhere except bathrooms. We went with engineered wood due to lower cost and supposedly a bit better at withstanding moisture. My brother has stranded bamboo floors everywhere including the bathrooms and has only had moisture issues at the very edge of their open shower.

It's funny you can go on the internet and read lots of horror stories of people complaining about their wood floors being scuffed up by big dogs etc but most people I know have wood floors have not had major issues. To the extent you go with hardcarved and distressed look it can hide some of the wear and tear.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:56 am

unclescrooge wrote:I'm remodeling a house, and wife wants an open floor plan. So we will have a very large living room and kitchen and she wants wood flooring throughout.

As impractical as this is, this seems to be the latest trend in high end homes in SoCal.

For those of you that went this route, how would you rate your experience. Would you do it again? Anything to be aware of?
If we had to do it all over again, we would go with tile in the kitchen. We've had wooden floors now for 15 years (pretty much our entire main level of the house outside of the bedrooms has wood). Even with area rugs for the high traffic spots in the kitchen, mats by the sink and stove - expect to refinish every 10-12 years. Make sure you put felt protectors on everything that is going to touch the floor furniture wise. Area rugs and runners for all the high traffic areas.

Not saying you won't love it in the kitchen, but it requires a lot more TLC and maintenance over the years.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:56 am

We've had "real" oak floors in our kitchen for the past 25 years. The only problem has been the divots left from dropping things. Otherwise it has held up remarkably well.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:29 am

What do you consider impractical about it?

One of the things I like about the oak floor in my kitchen is the practicality of it (one example -- no grout to clean; another example -- no threshold between kitchen and adjoining rooms which also have oak floors).

If I'm still living here when the time comes to resurface the floor, I will no doubt be cursing the impracticality of it.

boomer

Post by boomer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:36 am

My house was built in 1998 so the wood floors are 19 years old. They are warm and beautiful and easy care. However in the kitchen area they are badly in need of refinishing. So there's that. It's not cheap. I'll be selling my home within the next couple of years though, so it will have to be done.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:53 am

We have had oak floors (red oak, laid, sanded, finished in place) for over 12 years in the kitchen and powder room. I think having the floors finished (3 coats of polyurethane applied with a wool mop a day apart if I remember correctly) in place helps to prevent future water leaks through the board joints. The sanding process was very dusty even though the contractor tried to seal off the area. Also, be sure to make plans to not use the kitchen for several days while the floor dries to a hard finish. I was skeptical at first due to proximity of dishwasher, sink, toilet but the floors have worked out fine; be sure to wipe up any spills promptly. Easy to clean and seems even more comfortable under foot than the vinyl it replaced. The only thing I do to help prevent scratches is to put felt pads on the chair legs as they get a lot of movement. I replace the pads every month or so. Good luck.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 am

We remodeled kitchen and installed oak flooring except under our refrigerator where we put tile. It is out of sight but refrigerator has the greatest risk for leaks, some that may go unnoticed, i.e. slow leak from icemaker line or others which can ruin flooring. It looks really nice and DW is happy with it. Much better than hard, cold tile. Only issue has been we got some impressions in wood from moving refrigerator out for cleaning. This can be avoided by using moving pads and/or taking drawers and heavy stuff out of refrigerator before moving it.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 am

We use thick washable rugs in front of sink and stove, both for absorption and comfort.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

I've had the same (open concept, all wood) in my last 2 places. It isn't perfectly ideal, but a different flooring just completely breaks up the open concept look. The main problem is keeping on top of any spills. Unless they are big, they usually aren't an issue. I have ice cubes mysteriously drop out and land on the floor when no one is around (I think they are at the bottom of the dispenser after getting ice out of the door and melt enough to fall out). None have caused any damage.

I would be most concerned if you had a pet or kid that was prone to leaving spills/accidents behind where you might not discover them until the next day or something.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:00 am

We have 3/4" oak strip and it's great. The occasional glass item dropped on it doesn't break. Not true with tile. Easier to keep clean than grouted tile IMHO. Area mats in front of the sink/stove help preserve the finish.

The only surface I would never use in a kitchen is indoor/outdoor carpet (installed in our old house in the 70s).
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 am

Aptenodytes wrote:What do you consider impractical about it?

One of the things I like about the oak floor in my kitchen is the practicality of it (one example -- no grout to clean; another example -- no threshold between kitchen and adjoining rooms which also have oak floors).

If I'm still living here when the time comes to resurface the floor, I will no doubt be cursing the impracticality of it.
My biggest concern was a dishwasher hose leaking and ruining the entire kitchen floor.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

So it seems it might not be as bad as I thought.

We're going with a pre-finished, wire brushed, solid 3/4 inch oak floor. Hopefully this will hold up well.

We do have very young kids, but I'll resign myself to refinishing the floor in 10 years.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 am

We had a wood floor installed in the kitchen and dining room area. It looked great but eventually we did get water damage in the kitchen. Dishwasher hose leaked and had other plumbing leaks under the sink. Now I am considering redoing the kitchen in tile and maybe keeping the dining room status quo.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:14 am

I had installed engineered wood floor in my living room/kitchen in the condo. There was a leak from the dish washer and it damaged the wood before I realized. I installed the wood floor myself and it was of a click lock type. There is no glue, you can remove and put it back easily. I lived with the damage for a while because it was not noticeable. But before selling the condo, I removed the wood from the damaged area and put it back. It took me a day to do this work but I don't mind such work.

If I have to do it again, I will put the wood floor in the kitchen. It really looks great with the open floor plan. There are water sensors available that you can put below the dishwasher and under sink.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:17 am

chuppi wrote:I had installed engineered wood floor in my living room/kitchen in the condo. There was a leak from the dish washer and it damaged the wood before I realized. I installed the wood floor myself and it was of a click lock type. There is no glue, you can remove and put it back easily. I lived with the damage for a while because it was not noticeable. But before selling the condo, I removed the wood from the damaged area and put it back. It took me a day to do this work but I don't mind such work.

If I have to do it again, I will put the wood floor in the kitchen. It really looks great with the open floor plan. There are water sensors available that you can put below the dishwasher and under sink.
Water sensors! Great idea!

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:18 am

chuppi wrote:I had installed engineered wood floor in my living room/kitchen in the condo. There was a leak from the dish washer and it damaged the wood before I realized. I installed the wood floor myself and it was of a click lock type. There is no glue, you can remove and put it back easily. I lived with the damage for a while because it was not noticeable. But before selling the condo, I removed the wood from the damaged area and put it back. It took me a day to do this work but I don't mind such work.

A dishwasher leak while on vacation is a major concern.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 am

unclescrooge wrote:... she wants wood flooring throughout.
20+ years with 3/4" solid red oak floor in kitchen (and throughout) with a pretty hard (?PU-based) finish, I think. Pretty, and warm-looking but dents easily. In the right light, this is obvious in front of the fridge and cupboards where many cans, etc., have been dropped -- we cook a lot. Some of this was the kids but most of it wasn't :happy . The dents don't affect the color when viewed and lit from above, but do show up with side-lighting (like from a window late in the day). Also, a silent dishwasher leak cupped then crowned the floors in 3' x 3' patch but sort of invisible now. If you go with wood, do NOT turn on the door-dispensing water or auto-ice-maker feature for your fridge. Leave the fridge unplumbed; those things always leak. We have a cheap fridge and drink from the tap or a carafe in the fridge.

Despite these limitations, I think I prefer it to tile if we were to do it again. We would have broken everything we own -- and a few bones, I'm sure -- with tile in the kitchen. One of the new laminates might be more dent-resistant but likely no more water-resistant. The wood floor has a decent patina but doesn't look shabby and is easy to clean -- and there are no grout lines to darken.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:40 pm

It works well. Having the same flooring throughout an open floor plan give the space a more finished feel and makes it seem larger, less cluttered.

Ideally, you want site finished floors if the wood is in the kitchen and bath, as the poly will seal somewhat at the joint between the pieces.

That said, I have prefinished engineered hardwoods the entire first floor, including kitchen, that I installed over 12 years ago and they look great, except for the 3 divots where things got dropped. HOWEVER, I installed a prefinished product with a commercial grade finish (lifetime residential finish warranty, 25 year commercial) and with a much thicker wear layer than most engineered products. My neighbors who have builder grade engineered products experiences wear through of the finish layer within 5-8 years in their kitchen and at the entrances.

If you are installing a prefinished engineered product you need to go with a high end finish, and a thick top layer, so the finish will last, and so there will be enough thickness of the top layer to refinish them in lieu of replacing.

If you are installing a prefinished solid product, a high end finish is still recommended so you don't have to deal with refinishing while you live there (it is very dusty). However, a solid product can usually be refinished 3-4 times before you get down to the tongue/groove. Newer refinishing techniques, and experienced refinishers with the correct equipment can do this with only taking off a micro layer of wood, making the floor last even longer.

eta: if using a field finished product make sure they extend the wood through to under the dishwasher and that they finish under the dishwasher. This is easier in new construction as the floor is usually finished before the countertops are installed, so the finisher can get to the floor under the dishwasher.
If using a prefinished product, it is also a good idea to extend it under the dishwasher, but sometimes there is not enough space. In either case you should get a shop vac and a $5 tube of sealant, and when they are done, vac all the dust away, and apply sealant at the perimeter of the dishwasher opening, and where the wood stops to prevent water from getting under the wood floor if there is a dw leak.
Also use a $15 metal braided hose to supply the dishwasher instead of those cheap $6 plastic ones. Less chance of leak.
Last edited by Saving$ on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:44 pm

I have oiled wood floors. Easy to repair. Low gloss. Finished in place.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Our house is about 19 years old and we have red oak flooring in our kitchen. We have not had to have it refinished and it still looks good. We did have it screened at around the 10 year mark; they use an abrasive surface that looks like a screen to remove surface blemishes and then re-apply a urethane top coat. This is much less disruption than sanding down to bare wood.

You do have to be aware of scratching although I have the stain used on the original floors and a quick application with a q-tip makes most minor scratches disappear.

It is warmer than tile and a little more forgiving if you drop items and for standing. My wife is not a fan of cleaning grout so that is another plus with hard wood. There are trade offs with any surface but wood flooring has been a good choice for us.

Post by 123 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 pm

As part of a remodel of an older home we removed the carpets and had beautiful hardwood underneath. Due to settling of the house the kitchen floor, which had been covered with linoleum was not level. The contractor completely removed the kitchen floor and installed new floor joists to provide for a level floor before a new hardwood floor was installed. With all the flooring sanded and varnished/sealed there was only a slight color difference in between the new kitchen floor and the older refinished floors, and then its only noticeable if all the floors are lite with bright sunlight which just doesn't happen. We're very happy with all of our wooden floors, especially the kitchen. My only caution would be to finish off the kitchen floor with a durable sealer since, over time, it will be washed/cleaned far more times then the other wooden floors in your home. While some people prefer a tile kitchen floor it may not "fit" the style of many older homes.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Wood floors are the best, especially in the kitchen. Happy wife would be bonus.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:04 pm

We installed wooden floor in every home we own during the past past 30 year (except the bathrooms).
Love the look of polished oak, very easy maintenance and to clean comparing to carpets, which holds and hides all the dirt.
We believe hard wood floor is better for our allergies. We do have oriental carpet area rugs in some area.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Wood floors in the kitchen in the last 3 houses. Current house is near 15 years. Refinished once.

Get SOLID wood floors. They hold up much better to wear and especially water. Engineered floors damage very quickly with water.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 pm

I guess I'll be the exception, I like porcelain tile. They have epoxy grouts now that are stain resistant - they never need to be washed or sealed.
If I am stupid I will pay.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:36 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

Turn off the water before you leave.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 pm

marcwd wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Turn off the water before you leave.
Good idea. It's about time I learned how to do that!

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:51 pm

I installed (myself) engineered pecan, glued directly to the slab throughout our house. It was very very hard work, took a very long time, but looks great. I did the kitchen too. Even with using pecan which is pretty hard, it still dents when a fork falls. If I had to do it again, I'd rather do tile in the kitchen. Water is another thing all together.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:16 am

We went with hickory, finished in place, but added a matte BonaTraffic HD as the final coat. It holds up to two dogs better than the standard finishes. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Profess ... raffic-HD/

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 am

In a previous place, I had a very soft wood floor in my kitchen. Anything that dropped would leave a divot in the floor.
In addition, there was a small leak from the dishwasher that went unnoticed for a few weeks since it was under the dishwasher. We noticed it when the water damage started showing on the wood floor in front of the dishwasher.

I now have a tile floor in the kitchen and I like it a lot better. That said, if you prefer wood, there's not necessarily a major reason not to do it.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:41 am

We definitely did not want a hardwood floor in our kitchen when we purchased our current home. I think most would say we are pretty tidy folks, but the idea of all the water used in a kitchen and hardwood did not compute.
Coincidentally, our home is now for sale, and we asked our Realtor if lack of hardwood in our kitchen would be a detriment. She indicated that it would not for people who were cost conscious and that she was not using hardwood in the kitchen of a home she was currently having built. She based that on consultation with home insurance companies reflecting that a large percentage of claims are from water damage to hardwood in kitchens. Her information suggests that insurance companies will soon begin charging more for homes with hardwood kitchens, limit coverage or require purchase of additional coverage similar to requirements for those with significant amounts of jewelry. She also said that consideration was being given to increasing cost for coverage of roofs, another source of frequent claims.

Tim

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 am

We have pre-finished solid wood floors in our kitchen. They have definitely acquired some scratches and dents (from dropping heavy pots) over the years, but I love them. If you need your floors to always look perfect I would not go with wood. If you are willing to live with some scratches and dents wood is a really comfortable material for a kitchen. I do keep a small indoor/outdoor rug on the floor in front of the sink to help prevent the wood from being damaged by water splashes.

If you use pre-finished wood, make sure you get and keep some extra pieces. We had a water leak from our dishwasher which damaged a few boards. A handyman was able to cut away the damaged boards and replace them with some of our extra pieces of pre-finished floor. You can't see where this occurred. However, if we had not had some matching boards available this would have been a much bigger job.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:53 am

I have wood floors everywhere in my place downstairs except in the kitchen. I'm glad I don't have wood in the kitchen because of 1) things get dropped more often in the kitchen which leads to dents and 2) I often have water drip onto the floor when I move dishes from the sink where I rinsed them off to the dishwasher.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Beth* wrote: If you use pre-finished wood, make sure you get and keep some extra pieces. We had a water leak from our dishwasher which damaged a few boards. A handyman was able to cut away the damaged boards and replace them with some of our extra pieces of pre-finished floor. You can't see where this occurred. However, if we had not had some matching boards available this would have been a much bigger job.
I would highly recommend buying around 20% more and surplussing it. You might need to redo a half a room later and vendors are always changing patterns, etc.

I did my whole house and bought 5 extra boxes out of about 35 boxes. I wish I bought 5 more. What I used is no longer available.

Also, make sure you have a thick wear layer. I can sand my floors three times. (It's been ten years, they still look great, even with renters in there now, so maybe I'll be six feet under before the last wear layer is shown).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:00 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

We had a vacation leak in our wood floored kitchen. Fortunately it was relatively small and we had saved just enough extra (prefinished) material to make an unnoticeable repair. Had we not had saved the material or the leak been more extensive it would have been a much larger and more expensive project to re-floor or re-finish the entire kitchen/breakfast nook.

I would not do wood in the kitchen again. I'd probably use the tile that looks like wood.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

teacher

Post by teacher » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:49 pm

We chose walnut engineered wood in the kitchen rather than tile because wood is so much easier on my feet than tile. DH wanted tile, but my bad feet were the deciding factor. The walnut is a nice contrast with our cherry cabinets we had installed the same time as the floor, and the cabinet maker made the interior out of walnut to match the floor.

We were worried about water damage so we installed alarms that go off if there is a leak near the refrigerator or dishwasher. Water from the dispenser on the fridge spilled onto the floor and under the fridge, and the alarm went off as advertised.

My son has tile in his kitchen, and the grout is a light color and difficult to keep clean.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:14 am

If going wood, use a dishwasher pan or independently seal and drain the area below the dishwasher.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:27 am

We had the oak floor in our kitchen refinished after 10 years. Judging from the archeological dig that was our previous kitchen floor, that's about how often the floor has been resurfaced for the life of the house - when we pulled everything up the floor was about 3/4 inch lower once we got down to just the sub-flooring and new wood. We love it.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm

unclescrooge wrote: A dishwasher leak while on vacation is a major concern.
Whenever I go on vacation I always turn off the water coming into the house. A leak while you are gone can cause considerable damage before being noticed. Even if I go away for just a day I always turn off the water.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Parthenon wrote:
Whenever I go on vacation I always turn off the water coming into the house. A leak while you are gone can cause considerable damage before being noticed. Even if I go away for just a day I always turn off the water.

Ed
My small leak was when we were gone with the water turned off. Must have been from the line or the unit. Still enough to require removing and replacing about 5 sq. ft. of flooring. :annoyed
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:12 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Parthenon wrote:

Ed
My small leak was when we were gone with the water turned off. Must have been from the line or the unit. Still enough to require removing and replacing about 5 sq. ft. of flooring. :annoyed
If you also have an expansion tank in the incoming line, as many municipalities now require, there will still be pressure in the line unless you open a spigot and let it drain for a few minutes. Even with a small leak you can still minimize the damage.

A neighbor had a toilet tank overflow with damage into the thousands.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:We've had "real" oak floors in our kitchen for the past 25 years. The only problem has been the divots left from dropping things. Otherwise it has held up remarkably well.
+1 If you are in the "kids drop things alot" stage, real wood does dent pretty easy.

The one risk is the color you select will be out fairly quickly. But that happens with any flooring. I am waiting for "Honey Oak" to return to style. :mrgreen: Unlikely to happen.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
LifeIsGood wrote:The one risk is the color you select will be out fairly quickly. But that happens with any flooring. I am waiting for "Honey Oak" to return to style. :mrgreen: Unlikely to happen.
It'll happen. Mark my words.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:43 pm

HoosierJim wrote:If going wood, use a dishwasher pan or independently seal and drain the area below the dishwasher.
great idea!