Your "at peace" moments.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investingdad

Re: Your "at peace" moments.

Post by investingdad »

I responded to this thread a few times when it started.

I'll add this...

Standing on my deck, late afternoon, trees green but underbrush starting to yellow, crickets are singing a late summer song, sunny but only 65F, kids just back in school (2020 edition is a bit messed up though), sun casting long shadows, grill heating up, and a full bottle of cold beer on hand.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cool late summer morning out on the deck, 54°, sunny, good coffee, quiet, bird chirping.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Going for a long, solo hike or backpack. Taking in all the sights, sounds, and smells. The less people the better.

About 40+ minutes into a trail run in the mountains. I get into a zen-like state and even with constant bobbing and weaving, I feel relaxed, at peace, and powerful.

Recovering from a strenuous workout.

The way my body feels after an ice cold shower.

Driving a sporty car in a spirited fashion. Hitting the twisties with a lovely exhaust note and hearing the crescendo before I swish gears. A perfectly timed downshift or heel-toe shift puts a smile on my face.

Playing random chords in a random fashion with my guitar by letting my imagination guide me.

Going outside in the snow; particularly just after a fresh snowfall where each branch is glittered with white, there's a still in the air, and little human activity.

Looking at a fire and hearing the crackles while my mind wanders.

Closing my eyes when a light breeze comes across.

Being at a quiet beach and hearing the waves lapping against the shore.

Reflecting on the numerous things I am grateful for in my life.

Watching sunrises and sunsets.

An excellent cup of coffee on a quiet morning.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Barreling down a mountain bike trail that's almost beyond my skill level and at a speed that nearly, but not quite, outpaces my ability to navigate. It's probably the most dangerous thing I do yet it feels more safe, comfortable and relaxing than anything else (including sleep).
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Sunrise at the local walking track, walking my daily 2 miles in the morning quiet.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm Although it isn't a quiet time, I feel most at peace when my grandchildren are visiting and playing in the sunroom. I don't even need to see them, just hearing them works just as well.

Broken Man 1999
Three years later, and still the case. One set of grandchildren spent several hours a day M-F over the summer as their parents had to go to work. The other set of grandchildren have parents with work at home jobs, but we saw a lot of them, also.

We played countless games of The Game of Life, scads of rounds of Skip-Bo and Uno.

Throw in a few puzzles with high piece counts, and we had a blast. Though, as a new player to the board game and card games, I was usually the loser.

They all have started back to school, it is way too quiet in our casa now! :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Paddling my kayak on a calm creek and watching the Osprey Chicks learn how to fledge.

WoodSpinner
matti

Post by matti »

Great thread! Two that come to mind:

1. Finishing my Saturday long run (I run ultramarathons), showering, and then sitting down with some pizza.

2. Watching "ghost hunting" TV shows late on a Friday or Saturday night, with all of our Halloween decorations and lights up, with a spooky orange glow permeating the house.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

Kicking back in bed with my iPad, sampling another delicious serving of non-fiction with a steaming cup of coffee topped with whip cream in my hand.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

I have peace one day a week for about 20 minutes. I work a side gig on Saturday's and I sit in my car listening to Sinatra era music in the dark before I start working. That’s about it.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Keepcalm wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 pm I have been awaking from sleep before daylight breaks. I brew coffee, sit down, and read whatever book I'm currently investing my time in. Because it is so early, where I live I'm able to escape pretty much all ambient noise. Pure peace and quite. I have begun to really appreciate this part of my day.

Due to how it has made me feel, I have been looking for additional activists to implement into my schedule that would activate that same feeling, even if it's more of an activity that involves moving such as biking, hiking and so on. I don't think it necessarily needs to be from a book or sitting dormant like my example. However that productive, stimulating feeling I receive from it is what I find rewarding.

What do some of you do that you have learned to really appreciate? Whether it's a feeling of productivity, a feeling of silence and peace, or so on.

As I think more about it, I guess it would be classified as the activities you partake in that make you feel indep dent, at peace with yourself and allows you to feel ok being alone. I know someone who is married may mountain bike or hike alone when he can to get away and be at peace with himself. Possibly almost give him a taste of the luxury of not having any ties for that moment.

I'm a bachelor, and I really like a lot of what I gain from being a bachelor. However I guess I have started to creep into the routine of going to work, coming home, doing unstinulating wasteful acts, going to bed and then rinse and repeating. I'm looking to change that, I'm looking to go back to appreciating being on my own and involving myself in activities that make me feel rewarding and stimulated when I'm alone.

This is a hard thing to nail down into explainable terms. I'm hoping there are other bachelors out there who can digest and understand what I'm trying to lay down here.

Cheers.
Commit to a Tai Chi class 2x/week. Practice daily after your morning coffee, or evening.
Commit to an Aikido class 2x/week. "Sit" daily.

After awhile you will have a different point of view as your ethos shifts.
Perhaps you will be a bachelor no more.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Easy answer, when ms gamboolgal and I are tangled up in the old 4 poster and I cannot feel my body, – it is all.... just us – best I can describe it. Heaven on earth and Thank God for them Texas Gals…

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm Although it isn't a quiet time, I feel most at peace when my grandchildren are visiting and playing in the sunroom. I don't even need to see them, just hearing them works just as well.

Broken Man 1999
Three years later, and still the case. One set of grandchildren spent several hours a day M-F over the summer as their parents had to go to work. The other set of grandchildren have parents with work at home jobs, but we saw a lot of them, also.

We played countless games of The Game of Life, scads of rounds of Skip-Bo and Uno.

Throw in a few puzzles with high piece counts, and we had a blast. Though, as a new player to the board game and card games, I was usually the loser.

They all have started back to school, it is way too quiet in our casa now! :(

Broken Man 1999
Just pressed the non-existent like button.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Scuba diving in warm water. Boy do I miss traveling. I love to just take in whatever the fish are doing. Other times I hunt around for something special. Perhaps a splendid toad fish in Cozumel. Or a ghost pipe fish in the Philippines. I float around weightless. it's such a Zen feeling. A museum when they first open. I go up to the top floor before it's crowded and indulge myself in the arts. Love the impressionist works at the Met. Concerts. Going alone it's easy to get a good seat. A hike in the fall or spring.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Reading my young kids bed time stories. I changed jobs a few years ago for better work life balance. Totally worth it!
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Dropping my fishing line at sun up and simply staring at my float in the water not really caring if I catch or not.
deserat

Post by deserat »

MattE wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 am Sitting at the top of an uncrowded ski slope, strapped in and ready to drop on my snowboard, but taking a minute or so to just look out over the vista before doing so.
Change out board for skis and ditto. Love mountains and the top of mountain views....I have also had some very peaceful and contented moments sitting at a nice restaurant with great good, a nice glass of wine and relishing the hike I just finished.

The sound of waves and/or water lapping or a slight breeze blowing or soft snow falling while inside with a window open...very peaceful as well.

Great ideas in this thread...thanks to OP for starting it.
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

Most at peace when I sit in my beach chair with a cooler of cold beer and some country beach music and then walking the shoreline with my bride.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Being at a our favorite restaurant, a place where there are private booths or rooms where it is quiet, being served by our favorite waiter, and talking and laughing and smiling for a couple of hours with my wife of 60 years. We usually will reminisce about our life experiences, especially our children, our pets over the years, and vacation adventures, but many other subjects as well, such as things going on everywhere. In those times, when no one disturbs us, except when we are served, and when you have loved someone for as long as we have, it is a very peaceful time.
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Sheepdog wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 am Being at a our favorite restaurant, a place where there are private booths or rooms where it is quiet, being served by our favorite waiter, and talking and laughing and smiling for a couple of hours with my wife of 60 years. We usually will reminisce about our life experiences, especially our children, our pets over the years, and vacation adventures, but many other subjects as well, such as things going on everywhere. In those times, when no one disturbs us, except when we are served, and when you have loved someone for as long as we have, it is a very peaceful time.
This is quite lovely -- thank you for sharing!
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I'm no longer a single guy but I think I know what you mean. It probably differs a lot for everyone, but what gave me the type of feeling that you are describing was doing late-night cooking on Fridays and Saturdays with the classical music radio station turned on in the background. It was a fairly lonely period of my life, when I hadn't met my husband (and I don't think I quite realized how lonely I was back then), but it was really nice to focus on doing something so sensory - smells nice, tastes nice, and with the music station, sounds nice too. Cooking really engages a lot of your senses.

Another thing I liked to do, since I didn't and still don't own a car, was that I liked to rent a car for a few hours and just go driving to nowhere late at night into the early morning with the radio station turned on.

I used to do a lot more of these "loner" type things as a bachelor . If/when you get attached to someone, you won't be able to do these things as much anymore, so just enjoy them while you can. My husband wants to come along to everything now.
sharukh

Post by sharukh »

OZAR wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:30 pm Large Emergency Fund
Exactly my feeling
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Sipping on an Old Fashioned in my recliner on the weekend.

And coming up will when I payoff my mortgage which I plan on getting done in the next several months.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Lounging in our backyard plunge pool (90 degrees) at 6 in the am with my homemade Americano on a brisk fall morning. Partner on pup on the patio.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

When we can continue to declutter and simplify our financial and non- financial lives.

That feels good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm closer to a type A personality so relaxing, especially younger rarely occurred. My mind was always thinking of multiple things. One of the few times I forgot most things was at the top of a ski slope admiring the scenery and then worrying about how the heck I was going to make it down alive. I'd take about 50-100 feet at a time and eventually I'd be down the bottom.

Now with so many stressful things going on in the world I have to admit just lying down in my bed, flipping on a comedy (often an old one) helps me to try and get a few minutes of happiness/relaxation.

In the pre-virus days, sometimes sitting somewhere having a drink and people watching was a nice escape.

Unfortunately I think I've been someone who hasn't sat and enjoyed life as much as I should and now that I'm older that really bothers me.

My father (80s) recently told me I need to figure out what I want, and where I want to retire to instead of moving around and changing jobs, and I can't say I disagree with him. I'm just finding it hard to be happy and keep everyone else happy as well.

Enjoy the good times since they won't be there forever!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Quiet Sunday morning on the deck, water fountain gurgling, 64°, sunny, clear blue sky, good coffee, good book to read.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

rich126 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 am
Why can't good times be here forever in your lifetime? It can, really, if you will set your mind to it. !!! Live. Live. Live. Love! Love! Love!
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:32 am
Why can't good times be here forever in your lifetime? It can, really, if you will set your mind to it. !!! Live. Live. Live. Love! Love! Love!
You are proof good times can always be there. Way too many folks haven't learned they are the prime determining factor of their happiness. Sure, other folks can add to, or take away, but ultimately the ability to be happy is mostly vested in themselves.

Life is precious, sometimes fragile; no way will I squander a moment of happiness so long as I can.

Sheepdog, I hope you and your missus enjoy many more years together!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
mancich

Post by mancich »

Early morning coffee before family is awake, catching up on Bogleheads, news, just thinking.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Peace comes from within.

Chop Wood Carry Water.

I look for/work towards 'inner peace' every day no matter what is going on around me.

(FWIW: I find my 'going to bed' routine to be the most 'peaceful' of the day: make sure any dishes are done (no dishwasher), make sure the house is closed up (doors locked, windows appropriate for the season, lights out), play with the cats (takes about 5 minutes), brush my teeth (think about a few things that went well/grateful for during the day), put on my jamas, set my alarm clock and get into bed (and deal with the cats getting comfy). I set up/prep for the next day earlier in the evening - NOT ever before bed... too much drama/stress. )
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:59 am
Sheepdog wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:32 am
You are proof good times can always be there. Way too many folks haven't learned they are the prime determining factor of their happiness. Sure, other folks can add to, or take away, but ultimately the ability to be happy is mostly vested in themselves.

Life is precious, sometimes fragile; no way will I squander a moment of happiness so long as I can.

Broken Man 1999
"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Abraham Lincoln
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

In the middle of the lake on my kayak with my wife.

In the middle of the lake in my kayak during the weekday while everyone else is at work.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:59 am

Broken Man 1999.
Thank you We'll try.
Woof
Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw »

Swimming laps for 30 minutes or so as the sun comes up, and then resting on a lounge chair for a few minutes after. Rooftop pool had spectacular views of a major city. Don’t have the pool anymore, or live in the high rise - really miss it a lot!

Decluttering. Always cathartic (for me) to throw things away and simplify.

Agree with comments about young kids. Very little down time when there’s a 3 yo running around constantly. However the time spent with him prove to be priceless.

A good glass of wine with my wife and some relaxing music.

Great topic
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

If you met me you would agree this is WELL out of my element, but I discovered nudism about a decade ago. Spending a day at a resort in the summer is like hitting a reset button on the stresses of life. I cannot explain it. According to reading online forums, I am not alone in this thought. I only get time to do so about 2-4 times per year.

Otherwise, I enjoy playing with the kids, walks with the wife, and sipping a glass of red wine. Simple.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I am a dozen miles away from a state park. I buy an annual pass to the state parks and this morning went on a 2 mile hike in this state park. I did encounter one couple on this hike but it was a great time to enjoy some alone time and some peace.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

There’s a brief period right before passing out drunk where I feel at peace. All the weight is off my shoulders and I can just relax. Do this once or twice a week to recharge in a weird way.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Settling in to a flight to a vacation destination.
Sipping on good bourbon or scotch.
Talking/debating with my kids (not arguing lol).
Zoning out after exercising. Zoning out in my tub with jets on.
Knowing I have less than two years of mortgage payments
Buy Low, Sell High
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Sitting in the backyard in the sun. PNW so we don't always get sun and when we do I breathe it in. Especially after the air quality we had the last week.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Entering a 3 sided shelter or tent for the night after hiking in severe weather.
Then watching and listening to the storm.
snowox

Post by snowox »

Like you OP I am an early riser (up between 3am and 4am) and usually Go through 3 sites I follow while drinking coffee MMM, Bogleheads, and Reddit with No TV on till 5am. Then I watch the local news for a half hours then Squawk box for a half hour and once the light comes up I either head out for a walk or Bike actually mostly now since my knees are getting bad. That is my favorite time of the day. Next being early late afternoon taking a slow boat ride around the lake.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Two or three mornings a week I begin the day at sunrise in my small boat on a nearby lake watching the local bald eagle and ospreys catch their breakfast or a family of otters frolicking . . . sometimes I even put bait on the hooks 🙂

Watching a baseball game with the sound off while doing a jigsaw puzzle.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

About half the time I golf, I go alone, usually early in the morning. The course has magnificent views of mountains, and has streams running through it. The course is laid out such that many times I can see no one other golfers on the course unless it is very crowded. Walking the course by myself, regardless of my level of play that day, gives me peace.

Mowing the grass with my riding mover. I like the "chaos to order" feeling from creating a neatly mowed lawn. While I am mowing I feel peaceful. The feeling is enhanced after I am done, I will hang outside for a while enjoying what I have done.

Going for a walk and hike by myself. While I like going with my wife, she likes to talk during them, which is fine.But I like the change of pace of going by myself. I like to walk, earbuds in listening to a variety of music, and observe what is going on around me. There are trails and path near me that offer a variety of forest, rural, suburban, or city options, which I like.

Writing programs. Yes, it is a nerd thing. Now that I am retired, I write programs primarily to learn, or I have a idea based on something I read. A few times a friend has mentioned a problem that triggered a "you know, I can come up with something to help with that"... I can lose myself peacefully for hours doing this. The main "disturbance" I have is setting a timer to remind me to get up every 15-20 or so to move around.

As I type this, I realize there are many others. Being retired helps - I try to be at peace as much as possible. I am healthy, have a loving wife, kids in a good place, can participate in a lot of physical activities, and am content with my finances. None of these come with eternal guarantees... so my peace is enjoying them in the moment.
10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan »

I have been trying to get into meditation for this reason. It's hard because my mind is never truly at peace, which is why I need to try harder to achieve it. When I do make the time to meditate, I enjoy the feeling afterward, even if the process itself is kind of hard at first.

Some other ideas that bring that feeling or something like it:
-Sitting by the pool or on a porch listening to jazz or bossanova or chill music on a Sunday morning while drinking coffee. Great way to start a weekend day.
-Some podcasts. Probably ASMR-induced, because some podcasters voices and content really lull me into an engaged, yet semi-sleepy state.
-Driving in the car with the windows open playing music you love really, really loud and singing along, of course.