Your "at peace" moments.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Your "at peace" moments.

Post by Keepcalm »

I have been awaking from sleep before daylight breaks. I brew coffee, sit down, and read whatever book I'm currently investing my time in. Because it is so early, where I live I'm able to escape pretty much all ambient noise. Pure peace and quite. I have begun to really appreciate this part of my day.

Due to how it has made me feel, I have been looking for additional activists to implement into my schedule that would activate that same feeling, even if it's more of an activity that involves moving such as biking, hiking and so on. I don't think it necessarily needs to be from a book or sitting dormant like my example. However that productive, stimulating feeling I receive from it is what I find rewarding.

What do some of you do that you have learned to really appreciate? Whether it's a feeling of productivity, a feeling of silence and peace, or so on.

As I think more about it, I guess it would be classified as the activities you partake in that make you feel indep dent, at peace with yourself and allows you to feel ok being alone. I know someone who is married may mountain bike or hike alone when he can to get away and be at peace with himself. Possibly almost give him a taste of the luxury of not having any ties for that moment.

I'm a bachelor, and I really like a lot of what I gain from being a bachelor. However I guess I have started to creep into the routine of going to work, coming home, doing unstinulating wasteful acts, going to bed and then rinse and repeating. I'm looking to change that, I'm looking to go back to appreciating being on my own and involving myself in activities that make me feel rewarding and stimulated when I'm alone.

This is a hard thing to nail down into explainable terms. I'm hoping there are other bachelors out there who can digest and understand what I'm trying to lay down here.

Cheers.
whodidntante

Re: Your "at peace" moments.

Post by whodidntante »

Shuffling chips at 2 am when a couple of drunk guys sit down is pretty relaxing.
bligh

Post by bligh »

I have always loved it when taking a long hot shower and in no rush to get out. :) A hot shower on a cold day.. before bed.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

The 5 minutes after I finish my morning run. Quiet, before 6am and all is well!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I work midnights in New York City. I try to take my break when the sunrises and walk the streets. It is eerily quiet at that time and is the best part of my day. I work in the Wall Street area and walk down Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport and watch the sunrise over the water. It is really blissful and is a great way to start the day.

On the weekends I walk the boardwalk at the beach and/or come to the city and walk the Highline Park. One of my hobbies is coming to Manhattan and aimlessly walk for hours. I kill two birds with one stone. It airs my head out and helps keep me healthy.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

On the bike at first light - no cars, people, or electronics.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
scooterdog

Post by scooterdog »

As one who loves doing the same thing, this question is intriguing. Quiet, focused activity on something you find enjoyable (according to one poll a full 41% of Americans have not read a single book in the past year), and a feeling of peace.

What you are describing immediately reminded me of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's book "Flow", where artists, performers, inventors and others experience "deep enjoyment, creativity, and a total involvement with life". This is absolutely something you can cultivate, as you appreciate those fleeting morning hours you can re-create that state in other hours of the day.
the routine of going to work, coming home, doing unstimulating wasteful acts, going to bed and then rinse and repeating.
This is not the specific realm of the single person! :happy What you describe may be the majority of the working population, in fact.

Do you have any skills or hobbies you'd like to develop, that you could immerse yourself in? And take a hard look at the distracting, unstimulating stuff and shut that all off (TV comes to mind for me, for others it could be gaming).
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

If I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to step outside and do some upright yoga stretching while looking at the stars.

I keep a pile of gravel in the yard and have a lot of low spots on my property so I fill up the wheelbarrow and spread the gravel. It can be light or heavy exertion, a nice meditation, and keeps my back exercised.

I also enjoy cooking for the dog :happy.
ulvazell

Post by ulvazell »

Early mornings on my back patio and late evenings on my back patio. The peace, the quiet, the view, the light... I have a speaker system and usually put on some soft music and have a glass of wine in the evenings or a cup of coffee in the mornings. Pure bliss...
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Interesting thinking about being "at peace". Thanks for helping me thinking about and appreciating those times.
1. I love walking the areas near me (housing plans, but mostly open country) I plan on doing 4 miles at a time...good exercise and I plain enjoy it. And, part of that is walking with my Old English Sheepdog part of the way. Enjoyable private time.
2. Maintaining my home gardens, even cutting my half acre of lawn and planting and maintaining several hundred plants and bulbs annually....none of that is "work" for me. All good exercise and mind clearing.
3. And, I especially enjoy volunteering at our Children's Museum every week. I love the kids, I really do, and after my 4 to 5 hours, I can walk away smiling. It is a lot of walking, climbing stairs, cleaning up, but I get to help the kids and watch them laugh and smile, but, you know what? It is watching their interactions with their fathers and/or mothers which I view with interest. There is so much bad news about lack of family relationships, but this is a time when I can believe that the future will be just fine after all. I always leave my days there with a smile.
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

Good thread. For me it's 4:50am every weekday morning, the house is quiet and the espresso is hot and bold.
About an hour into a 3-4 hour bike ride. All the week's stress is quickly leaving my body.
Deep into a mountain or wooded trail with nothing but the sound of wind and birds with a light scent of pine.
Sitting in the dark with a glass of wine listening to music.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I do my Tai-chi 37 short forms based on Cheng Man Ching (you'll find a poor B&W YouTube version); it's an active way of doing meditation since I cannot do the lotus position.

I learned it from this video since it shows the front and the back. You do need a trainer or mentor, the slower the better (6-10 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pln2N66sXPQ
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Looking at the stars with nice binoculars in a dark site, or moon/sun/planets through a decent scope in a suburban/urban site.

Walking the dog around sunset.
Last edited by just frank on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I live in an urban area, and there is a lot of construction going on around our neighborhood. In addition to that, often there are evening drum circles, amplified music being played by musicians who should not be amplified (in my honest professional musician opinion), and motorcycles, helicopters, and other stuff.

So, I appreciate the quieter moments, usually in the middle of the night or in the very early morning. It used to bother me that I'd be wide awake at 4:30 or 5:00 am, but now I can appreciate those hours of peace more than ever.

While my wife slept, I got out of bed and went for a 3 mile walk around our inner-city lake at 6am. Now it's after 8am, I've eaten breakfast and am continuing to enjoy myself, even as the city wakes up around me.

One should grab Peace whenever possible.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

There is nothing more peaceful than listening to water lap the shore. Instant zen. I was able to do that when I lived near a river in a wooded area.

Nowadays I walk or bike in nature.

But there is a shopping center parking lot that is amazingly peaceful. It always is in the sun, no matter what the weather elsewhere. There is always a breeze. And the way the lot is situated, there is no traffic noise. I'll sometimes pull in when I want a quick zen break, without going into nature.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

When you have a little kid <5 years old, you're either sleeping or chasing! No at peace moments!
gasman

Post by gasman »

first sip of a martini on friday afternoon with good weather that I don't have to work the weekend.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I like to take a hike in a state park in the woods where there are no other people around. This is even better in the winter when it is very cold with some snow on the ground.
OZAR

Post by OZAR »

Large Emergency Fund
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

OZAR wrote:Large Emergency Fund
Haha. +1 on this.

I am in a similar situation as a bachelor. Meditation is amazing. That's what came to mind for me. Search Inside Yourself is an awesome book man.
sfchris

Post by sfchris »

My SO sleeps 2-3 hours longer than me. On vacations near the ocean, I like to leave in the early morning and walk in the quiet with only my thoughts.

And when at home, my favorite is putting on heavy boots and a good rain slicker and then walking in a city park during a downpour. (We almost never get lightning here in SF). You get the entire park to yourself usually. Combine that with the soft pitter patter of the rain and a stop at a cafe for a coffee when you are on your way home, is very peaceful indeed.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Keepcalm wrote:I have been awaking from sleep before daylight breaks. I brew coffee, sit down, and read whatever book I'm currently investing my time in. Because it is so early, where I live I'm able to escape pretty much all ambient noise. Pure peace and quite. I have begun to really appreciate this part of my day.

Due to how it has made me feel, I have been looking for additional activists to implement into my schedule that would activate that same feeling, even if it's more of an activity that involves moving such as biking, hiking and so on. I don't think it necessarily needs to be from a book or sitting dormant like my example. However that productive, stimulating feeling I receive from it is what I find rewarding.
Do more of this.
Keepcalm wrote:What do some of you do that you have learned to really appreciate? Whether it's a feeling of productivity, a feeling of silence and peace, or so on.
I do the same. I sit on the deck in nice weather, read a book, listen to music, take in the view and watch the wildlife. Just be quiet.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Coffee on my deck before work in the early morning while the birds are singing.

Walking back to the creek in the woods behind my house.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Walks around my neighborhood after sunset during the summer, especially when the sky is clear. I watch the planets and the stars come out. Tonight Jupiter will be near the waxing crescent moon.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

stemikger wrote:I work midnights in New York City. I try to take my break when the sunrises and walk the streets. It is eerily quiet at that time and is the best part of my day. I work in the Wall Street area and walk down Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport and watch the sunrise over the water. It is really blissful and is a great way to start the day.

On the weekends I walk the boardwalk at the beach and/or come to the city and walk the Highline Park. One of my hobbies is coming to Manhattan and aimlessly walk for hours. I kill two birds with one stone. It airs my head out and helps keep me healthy.
Hi Steve -

Great post! I did not know you worked near Wall Street!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I love the hour before dawn. I don't see it much anymore, but it is a magic time.

I love being in a high rise at dusk, when the city lights start to sparkle and come on.

I love to hear waves. To me it sounds like the ocean/Great Lakes are breathing.

Walking a horse or snuggling with a cat

Sitting on the porch while it is raining.

I feel peaceful when I am organizing items.

I love to be home alone.

I feel peaceful after a good sweaty workout is DONE.

After a fluffy snowfall, with everything white. Especially at night with a clear night.

I love being able to leisurely drink a cup of coffee at my home.

I feel at peace when my load is light.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

In our (DH and myself included) experience, best way to be at peace whenever and wherever you are is MEDITATION. But meditation does require regular practice and only then you will start reaping the fruits.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Sitting in a baseball stadium watching the game. Doesn't matter the league, stadium, team, etc.

But the most at peace I'll ever be is on a ship in the middle of the ocean watching the sun set. It is magic.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We're in the boonies, usually where it's always quiet. Wife and I sit out at twilight and watch the critters and wildlife.... doesn't mean anything unless my wife is there to enjoy it with me.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

gasman wrote:first sip of a martini on friday afternoon with good weather that I don't have to work the weekend.
I'm a beer guy and don't like martinis at all...but I TOTALLY get this one. :)
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I will add a blowing, snowy winter night when I'm staring at the fireplace after my wife and kids are in bed.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I'm an early riser (4-4:30) and just love the early mornings. I drink coffee, watch the sunrise, do my prayer and meditation. I also love snowy winter Sundays with the paper and glass of wine in front of the fireplace. Long bike rides in nature (not traffic!) are very peaceful.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Interesting topic. I'm far on the introvert side of the scale, so relish every opportunity to get away from people. Not so easy now with a family. My wife is the early bird, so coffee is already prepared by the time I wake up. Lunch hour is my sanctuary--find a place that is scenic or with a good vibe near the office to collect my thoughts. There's also an hour or two after the kids fall asleep for reading.

The best feeling used to be the first day of summer during my PhD years. There would be an empty campus, nothing on my to-do list, and no plans for months. I'd head to the bookstore and find a comfortable chair.

My parents bought a vacation house in the Blue Ridge Mountains several years ago. I visit there every couple years. It's a nice getaway from civilization, and the cost of living is low. When the world gets on my nerves, I think about moving to the mountains. Probably will someday.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Surfing through bogleheads.org...
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

I'm envious of you all. I just went through what we used to call when I worked in finance a "life altering event." I haven't found peace since then, and it really sucks. That said, getting finances lined up for the future helps. One day at a time.
Hi!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

abuss368 wrote:
stemikger wrote:I work midnights in New York City. I try to take my break when the sunrises and walk the streets. It is eerily quiet at that time and is the best part of my day. I work in the Wall Street area and walk down Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport and watch the sunrise over the water. It is really blissful and is a great way to start the day.

Hi Steve -

Great post! I did not know you worked near Wall Street!
Yes, 23 years now. The Hipsters now call it FI DI and its mostly residential.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

When in Florida it's sailing--You can put all worries out of your mind because your entire focus is on how the wind is flowing through sails.

When in Germany it's sitting together on a bench in our yard watching the sunset on long summer evenings, sometimes with a martini.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I can think of two....

Looking into the eyepieces straight in front of me while my hands are working down lower. The 9-0 Nylon is smaller than a human hair but magnified through the scope. Tie the knots and release the clamps. Red life flows. I leave while the Fellow closes the case.

The other starts with arriving to my spot and coasting in while I drop the trolling motor. It's barely light and all is quiet. Starting usually with a buzzbait then later flipping a rage craw around structure. While this is often in a tournament, it doesn't matter if nothing bites because my goal has already been accomplished.
Last edited by toofache32 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Sorry duplicate post.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Sitting on the beach listening to the water and seagulls, smelling the fresh sea air and taking in a sunny day.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

SirRunsabit wrote:I'm envious of you all. I just went through what we used to call when I worked in finance a "life altering event." I haven't found peace since then, and it really sucks. That said, getting finances lined up for the future helps. One day at a time.
This too shall pass, I've had my share, stay hopeful and you will attract positive things.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Hiking all day in the northern Minnesota woods and then soaking my sore feet in the icy waters of Gitche Gumee.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Good thread. For me bottom line is I really don't have anything like this now. I do have downtime here and there but with 2 kids full time working spouse and off an on contract gigs lately I haven't really taken the time to do this.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Sitting on the toilet.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

rgs92 wrote:Surfing through bogleheads.org...
+1

I recharge on off days by surfing here and on several other finance forums/blogs.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Times I have been at peace.

- sleeping in a cabin near the ocean and slowly waking to the sound of the incoming tide
- cross country skiing early in the morning, no one around. Only hearing the slip and slide of the skis.
- early morning breakfast on the deck reading newspaper. Most of the world is not yet out and about.
- spectacular sunset seen across a large lake at a former employer location. Great end to the day in winter time.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee »

Hiking in The Whites. I also enjoy the planning and hike selection for the upcoming weekend.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Lying out in the grass in my backyard (I just put the lounge chair cushion on the ground), reading and enjoying the garden.