BMW Z3 or Z4 or nothing at all?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jb1

Re: BMW Z3 or Z4 or nothing at all?

Post by jb1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 am

finite_difference wrote:
jb1 wrote:Would rather a 350z to be honest. A bit bias since I have a 2006. Nothing better than hearing that purrrrfect exhaust note with the windows down. On top of that the car is quick, has great handling and its cheaper than a bmw
I came here to ask that, too. What about the Nissan 350Z? Or Infiniti G37/Q60?
Im just not a fan of the z3/4 personally. Z/G parts are cheaper as well as maintenance. IMO looks better and 100% sounds better when driving. Seriously youll never want to roll your windows up.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am

Miatas are really hard to beat for cheap, open top, "fun" cars. Very reliable and tons of aftermarket support is available. As a Boglehead plus, the older models have almost no depreciation if cared for and maintained. I own two of them BTW- 1994 base model and a 1991 BRG SE.

eg1

Post by eg1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Can you fit in a Miata? I think Z3/Z4 and the Boxster offers more space. I tried to sit in a Miata at an auto show and couldn't fit while I can fit in a Boxster just fine. I am 6'2.

jpdion

Post by jpdion » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am

TareNeko wrote:I had E85 Z4 Roadster and E86 Z4 M Coupe. Both great cars. That being said, I'd get the new Mazda Miata.

That's what I did!

Agon

Post by Agon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

The waters are officially muddied. Wow! My head hurts. I looked up all my options and it most definitely did not simplify the decision. I still like the BMZ Z3 and Z4. The Nisssan 350z convertible is really tugging at my heart strings. I had a friend with a Miata. Really fun car. I like the styling of the new ones. The old ones, not so much. So, despite the multiple recommendations, I am eliminating that from consideration. I am looking to spend 10k and under.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:56 am

Buying $10K BMW or Porsche will always costs you $20K+ If $10K is your budget, you don't buy $10K German car!

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 am

wrongfunds wrote:Buying $10K BMW or Porsche will always costs you $20K+ If $10K is your budget, you don't buy $10K German car!
Lesson learned - ask the OP what the budget is early in the thread!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am

I think you will regret a $10K German car purchase. Please strongly consider something Japanese in that price range.

dbphd

Post by dbphd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Right on, Time Runner. A 2-page thread goes to naught.

db

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Agon wrote:The waters are officially muddied. Wow! My head hurts. I looked up all my options and it most definitely did not simplify the decision. I still like the BMZ Z3 and Z4. The Nisssan 350z convertible is really tugging at my heart strings. I had a friend with a Miata. Really fun car. I like the styling of the new ones. The old ones, not so much. So, despite the multiple recommendations, I am eliminating that from consideration. I am looking to spend 10k and under.
From what I have read 350z & 370z roadsters frequently have very expensive issues with their tops.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Whereas the Z3 will go into history as an iconic car, such as the Alfa Spider or the 300SL, those Nissans are ugly as sin.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Agon wrote:The waters are officially muddied. Wow! My head hurts. I looked up all my options and it most definitely did not simplify the decision. I still like the BMZ Z3 and Z4. The Nisssan 350z convertible is really tugging at my heart strings. I had a friend with a Miata. Really fun car. I like the styling of the new ones. The old ones, not so much. So, despite the multiple recommendations, I am eliminating that from consideration. I am looking to spend 10k and under.
So now is time for fun. I've owned or extensively driven nearly all of the cars mentioned in this thread and their feel, fun and performance is all over the map. Decide what you like.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go onto Car Gurus and find an example of each of the cars mentioned, test drive it and write down the good and bad things about the car. When you're done, you must report to us, the car guys of Bogleheads what your impressions are and any decision, whether to buy a specific car, considerations of some small number of cars and what characteristics are really important to you.
Before I close, let me throw this spare wrench into the mix.....Factory Five Cobra. Look them up. I built and owned one before the Lotus. Something to consider if you want to build your own car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:52 pm

I'll try to answer your actual questions, huh?

2 questions-

1.) Do any bogleheads own a Z3/Z4 and if so do you like it?
2.) Would you ever pay more than blue book for a car?

We have a Z4. We bought it a little over two years ago (in 2015). It's a 2003 and had just under 100k miles on it when purchased. It was bought as a third care for fun summer driving. We paid $7250, which was just about KBB value. He was originally asking more than that - I think $8500 or $9000?

It was a very clean car with one sensor issue that we knew about.

My husband is 6'4", so most other fun sporty convertibles were non-starters because he couldn't fit in them. The Miata, for example, was laughable.

We bought it expecting that we'd have to put some $$ into it - we were expecting and preparing for a money pit, and it's sort of been that. Each year we've had it it's cost us a bit. 2015 I think we were in for less than $1k to fix the sensor. 2016 I think we escaped with no issues. This year we've had to spend about $3k on some repairs, and one of the motors in the roof broke and we've chosen not to fix it and move it up and down by hand. It's a small car and it's not hard.

So we were prepared to pay a little more than KBB because we were fairly limited in options. It's a fun car to drive and one of the few cars that my husband can fit in. We've put maybe 4k miles on it in two years, most of them in the trip we too it to the beach. Other than that we take it out on weekends and drive it to tennis and back. We expected to have to pay a substantial portion of the car's purchase price in repairs, and it's coming in as expected on that front.

But it is really freaking fun to drive!

momo54

Post by momo54 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I have a BMW Z3 2001 2.5 l yellow convertible that I love . I keep it stored during the winter months. In fact I just took it out for the remainder of the summer. I purchased it new and I think I just turned 40,000 mile on it. I just have regular maintenance done on it and that's about it. Yes it's a impractical car, but its a blast to drive! It seems like a day does not go by when my wife and I go for a drive I don't have offers to buy it. My self I just think the styling of the car is beautiful . Much so then the Z4. This is why I have hung on to it so far.

It's a real pleasure to put the top down and blast thru the Adirondacks of NYS
on a nice sunny day or even better in the fall with fall foliage ! :D

IMG_0517.jpg

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:28 am

Thesaints wrote:Whereas the Z3 will go into history as an iconic car, such as the Alfa Spider or the 300SL, those Nissans are ugly as sin.
I disagree, I like the look of the Nissan 350Z over the Z3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

But speaking of classic compact sports cars, I raise you an MG MGB/MGC. If I were rich, I'd own one of those :)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

dbphd

Post by dbphd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:39 pm

This thread has gotten silly. The OP discloses he has insufficient budget for a toy car, then some guy suggests the Z3 is destined to join the iconic 300 SL in the pantheon of automobilia. Someone has been passing around the cool aide

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 pm

The OP discloses he has insufficient budget for a toy car
Did he say that or we are making that assumption based upon what we think is best for him? We BH always do that. As far as I can see, OP has made no such assertion but collectively we know that he would be making a mistake to buy $10K Z3/Z4 but he has not agreed to it.

Let us think *why* we always do that.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Z3 every time over the Z4.... Just a personal thing but I love the classic lines of the 3 but hate the squareness of the 4. The answer is not always a Mazda :-) although I also love the Boxter S from that same era, I would still do the Z3.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

nura

Post by nura » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:51 pm

alfaspider wrote: Snow performance is 90% tires. Throw a set of snow tires and the Z3 will be fine.
In real world, ground clearance contributes snow mobility many people give credit for. Installing snow tires on car with 5-inch ground clearance won't get you too far. Buy a Miata and a Subaru for the price of 1 Z4 if you live where it snows.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Chan_va wrote:
As with any "what car to buy" question, the right answer always is - a Miata.
+1. And I'm a BMW driver. Decade-old BMW scares me a little in terms of repair cost and likelihood. I'm at the seven-year mark with mine (not a Z) but can comfortably "self-insure," repair-wise, for less than the amortized cost of almost any new vehicle.

And vis-a-vis KBB being low -- that's because it is. It's like a trade-in value. It's an industry tool, imo. "See, I'm offering you KBB!" And know that what they're listed for, third party, is not necessarily what they are selling for. Just like for new cars.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 am

nura wrote:
alfaspider wrote: Snow performance is 90% tires. Throw a set of snow tires and the Z3 will be fine.
In real world, ground clearance contributes snow mobility many people give credit for. Installing snow tires on car with 5-inch ground clearance won't get you too far. Buy a Miata and a Subaru for the price of 1 Z4 if you live where it snows.
Depends how well-plowed the areas you drive are, I suppose. Of course, plenty of people have modified Miatas and the like for ground clearance.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 am

Now THAT looks like a fun car!

MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 am

Focus on the weight of the car. Both Miatas and Z3/Z4s got heavier year by year. The classic sportscar experience is about handling. New miata is great because they shaved weight off. I'd look at both the early 1990's Miatas and early Z3's (mid to late 1990s)- even with the 1.9 liter engine Z3 is what my old MGB should have been!

BTW- Neither car will cost large money up front or in maintenance, but the Z3 is a German car, so the Miata will be simpler (cheaper) to fix/work on. Z3s should all be OBD-II. First Miatas might be OBD-I if that matters to you. ODB-II scanners are cheap these days.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm

was browsing convertibles and one of the search options was for the transmission of course.

What is the difference between "4-Speed A/T" and "4-speed Automatic" ?

I assumed those were the same thing but am unclear why they are 2 different search/filter options (truecar.com site)

clicking on either one does not bring up the same list of cars.

:confused

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm

What about the Audi TT? I like the aesthetic and seems to get good reviews.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Armada

Post by Armada » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Have you considered a Volvo C70? You should be able to find 2010-2013 for about 20-25K. My wife bought hers new in 2012 and loves it. It's no longer made, but holding its value. Can also be 'uptuned' with Polestar for better performance.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:56 pm

I have a 2007 Z4 which I have owned for nine years. I currently has about 52k miles on it.

First, my personal situation. I am short, about 5'5" and so "roomyness" is not an issue for me (I can stretch out in tourist class!). My commute is only about 3 miles and mostly though a large park and I live in a city where I can have the top down about 9 months out of the year 8-).

So, for me, I love it. It drives like a go cart and is very solid. I am sure the Miata is also a super-fun car to drive, so you should drive both and decide. But, ( rationally or not) I would feel a bit safer in a Z4, which weighs about 700-800 lbs more than a Miata.

Some negative to be aware of:
The ride can be a bit harsh over bad pavement.
Repairs/maintenance can be expensive, I'm sure much more than a Miata.

Agon

Post by Agon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 am

Thanks for all the help. I test drove a Miata,Z3, Z4 and a Nissan 350z. Didn't really care for any of them. About to give up, I stumbled across a mint condition 2009 VW Eos. Originally, not on my list. After driving it and realizing that it may be just a smidge more practical, I made the leap and purchased it. It has 68k miles and I paid $7,900. I do realize there may be possible reliability issues in future, so I will start a sinking fund today. Living in the mid-west the hardtop and front wheel drive convertible really appealed to me. Ok, let me have it...what are your thoughts?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 am

For the price, how can you go wrong? As long as you have the funds to handle typical VW issues and have a trustworthy mechanic, you will be fine. Enjoy the top down ride.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 am

Certainly seems like a sort of an "out of left field" choice to me. Since you have already purchased, it really does not matter what others think as long as you are happy. Myself and most of my car enthusiast friends prefer a manual rear wheel drive car for a fun car. (Miata/Z3/Z4/Boxster-911/Corvette/Honda S2000/Acura NSX/Mustang/ Camaro/370Z ......on and on.)

Enjoy you new ride!
Congrats