I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nitro4214

I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am

I like to occasionally take my bike to a trail to ride. I have a trunk rack but it does not work on my new car, neither does any other trunk rack I have tried. This leaves one of the following options:

1) Hitch rack - I would need to get a hitch installed as I currently do not have one.
2) Roof rack
3) Store the bike in the trunk - I have done this a few times but it has been a hassle getting the wheel on and off as I have to fix my brakes now after loosening them a few times. It is an old Wal-Mart bike though. Do better bikes (i.e. Trek) make it easier to take the front wheel off?

I'm debating whether to go with a hitch/roof rack, get a different bike, or maybe stick with my current bike for now and get a quick release skewer (although this doesn't do anything about the brakes getting in the way). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

goblue100

Re: I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Post by goblue100 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 am

nitro4214 wrote: It is an old Wal-Mart bike though. Do better bikes (i.e. Trek) make it easier to take the front wheel off?

I'm debating whether to go with a hitch/roof rack, get a different bike, or maybe stick with my current bike for now and get a quick release skewer (although this doesn't do anything about the brakes getting in the way). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Better bikes have the quick release skewer and a little tab on the brakes you can use to open the brake wide enough to get a fully inflated tire on /off. Takes me a minute to take the front wheel off / on my bike to put it in the trunk of my Hyundai (back seats laid down).

For the other two options, I would probably get a hitch rack. The roof rack seems like it could be problematic, like the commercial with the guy speeding into the garage while forgetting he had bikes on the roof. :oops:
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

nitro4214

Re: I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:29 am

goblue100 wrote:Better bikes have the quick release skewer and a little tab on the brakes you can use to open the brake wide enough to get a fully inflated tire on /off. Takes me a minute to take the front wheel off / on my bike to put it in the trunk of my Hyundai (back seats laid down).
That is good to know, thanks for the info. Perhaps that is the best route. By the time I buy a hitch and a new rack, it would likely cost almost as much as a new bike itself.

Anyone have any recommendations as far as a new bike goes? I am a recreational rider, ride mostly flat trails and back roads (although some hills), budget would be under 500.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am

I've use both a hitch rack and taking the wheels off and putting them in the car. First thing, if you get a "real" bike with quick release wheels, you'll have something that rides 1000% better to begin with. Tow hitches are typically easy do it yourself things to buy and you can find them online very cheap. I have also taken apart bikes to leave them in the car when it might be in a place where the bike could more easily be stolen although a long cable lock going through both wheels and the safety chain mount of the tow hitch make that a low probability.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am

OP,

https://www.nycewheels.com/folding-bike.html

Folding bike.

1) They fit in the trunk.

2) You could bring them into the bus, metro, and restaurants.

3) They start around $300 to $400.

I have a low-end Dahon around $300.

KlangFool

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 am

Depending on how far away the trail is, you could always just ride your bike to it in the first place.

In fact, I recently read a blog post by someone who had the same idea:

Oh the Irony of Driving Cars to Ride Bikes
Stay on target...

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

Even though its a bit more work, we always store ours inside the car/SUV. We have lay flat back seats. I have seen too many people drive roof racks into the top of their garage or worse I have seen them come off on the hwy. I remember seeing two bikes, still attached to the rack, bounce down the interstate. Ouch.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

i'm just a rec rider also, and get all my bikes (road, mountain, adult children) from REI when they are on sale. usually end up with a $800 bike for $500. i get their house brand, the novarro. not a trek, but i don't need that much bike.

i used to canoe a lot, and obviously had a roof rack. every new car i would need to get new thingees that attach the rack to the car. i'm tired of getting things off the roof, and had a hitch installed for my bike. much easier. there are removable bike racks that attach to the rear of the car, but that's too much fussing and fiddling getting them off and on for my taste. plus they are not nearly as sturdy as one that attaches to a hitch.

i drive an element, and it is so big inside that i can easily put my bike in and out without removing any tires. depending on the trip, that is an option i use sometimes.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am

I have had a roof rack and hitch mount.

Hands down hitch mount. Roof rack, even the lightest bikes get heavy and annoying to get up there. Also there is the concern of pulling into the garage with the bikes still on there (wife did that day after I installed the roof racks).

Hitch mount is quick and easy. My hitch swings out so I can easily access the hatch trunk. I recommend going to etrailer and buying the hitch and getting it installed at a local shop.

I'd love to put the bike in the back seat but I have child car seats in the way. That might be a good option if you can.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am

You don't need a hitch rack. You can get a rack that will clip onto your trunk similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Sports ... k/44751220

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I've use both a hitch rack and taking the wheels off and putting them in the car. First thing, if you get a "real" bike with quick release wheels, you'll have something that rides 1000% better to begin with. Tow hitches are typically easy do it yourself things to buy and you can find them online very cheap. I have also taken apart bikes to leave them in the car when it might be in a place where the bike could more easily be stolen although a long cable lock going through both wheels and the safety chain mount of the tow hitch make that a low probability.
I guess my first step should be to get a different bike, and then determine whether or not I need a rack. The hitch rack sounds like the way to go if I go that route. Yes theft is definitely a concern because I will sometimes make multiple stops before or after I ride.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:38 am

KlangFool wrote:OP,

https://www.nycewheels.com/folding-bike.html

Folding bike.

1) They fit in the trunk.

2) You could bring them into the bus, metro, and restaurants.

3) They start around $300 to $400.

I have a low-end Dahon around $300.

KlangFool
I will check them out, thanks

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:38 am

I second a folding bike for the average recreational rider. Also great for commuters—although if intended for multi-transportation use (buses, trains) more care should be taken in choosing model and maybe consider a Brompton. For the average rider to toss it into car, Dahon or REI models are fine. You can buy a folding bike for what a hitch install and good rack will cost.

If you decide on rack, go with hitch. Getting a bike up on roof is a hassle and sooner or later, you'll forget it's there and drive it into a low overhang. On highway, roof rack + bike = lots of drag. Hitch does not protect bike against soft rear end love tap by another vehicle but you have a cheap bike. To me, that only applies to bikes that people consider irreplaceable. Otherwise, insurance will handle it.
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am

For my old car I bought both the hit and the bike rack from etrailer.com. They have great customer service.

We have this bike rack: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Rac ... 59400.html

The new car already had a hitch, so no need to buy another.

For the bike rack, you can use either a 1.25" or 2" hitch, and if you are not doing anything else, I would side toward the 1.25".

If you are handy and have a desire, the offer videos on how to install each hitch, and the difficulty level. It all depends on the car.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am

JupiterJones wrote:Depending on how far away the trail is, you could always just ride your bike to it in the first place.

In fact, I recently read a blog post by someone who had the same idea:

Oh the Irony of Driving Cars to Ride Bikes
Funny you mention this because I had the same thought. I am within riding distance of a couple parks with trails but I do like variety to break the monotony a bit.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am

Iliketoridemybike wrote:Even though its a bit more work, we always store ours inside the car/SUV. We have lay flat back seats. I have seen too many people drive roof racks into the top of their garage or worse I have seen them come off on the hwy. I remember seeing two bikes, still attached to the rack, bounce down the interstate. Ouch.
LOL that's what I'm afraid of.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am

miles monroe wrote:i'm just a rec rider also, and get all my bikes (road, mountain, adult children) from REI when they are on sale. usually end up with a $800 bike for $500. i get their house brand, the novarro. not a trek, but i don't need that much bike.

i used to canoe a lot, and obviously had a roof rack. every new car i would need to get new thingees that attach the rack to the car. i'm tired of getting things off the roof, and had a hitch installed for my bike. much easier. there are removable bike racks that attach to the rear of the car, but that's too much fussing and fiddling getting them off and on for my taste. plus they are not nearly as sturdy as one that attaches to a hitch.

i drive an element, and it is so big inside that i can easily put my bike in and out without removing any tires. depending on the trip, that is an option i use sometimes.
There is no REI around here but there is a Dick's Sporting Goods, I will have to check out their selection.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 am

investor1 wrote:You don't need a hitch rack. You can get a rack that will clip onto your trunk similar to this:

Been there, done that. A trunk rack fit great on my old car, not so much on my current car as there is nothing to clip the bottom clips to. I take that back...there is one rack I tried but it is kind of a pain to assemble and I would worry about it scratching up the paint on the car.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:I second a folding bike for the average recreational rider. Also great for commuters—although if intended for multi-transportation use (buses, trains) more care should be taken in choosing model and maybe consider a Brompton. For the average rider to toss it into car, Dahon or REI models are fine. You can buy a folding bike for what a hitch install and good rack will cost.

If you decide on rack, go with hitch. Getting a bike up on roof is a hassle and sooner or later, you'll forget it's there and drive it into a low overhang . Hitch does not protect bike against soft rear end love tap by another vehicle but you have a cheap bike. To me, that only applies to bikes that people consider irreplaceable. Otherwise, insurance will handle it.
Interesting. Folding bikes didn't even cross my mind until the other poster mentioned it. I will definitely go the hitch route because that is something I would probably do eventually.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am

investor1 wrote:You don't need a hitch rack. You can get a rack that will clip onto your trunk similar to this:

It works well for one maybe two bikes.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 am

djpeteski wrote:For my old car I bought both the hit and the bike rack from etrailer.com. They have great customer service.

We have this bike rack: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Rac ... 59400.html

The new car already had a hitch, so no need to buy another.

For the bike rack, you can use either a 1.25" or 2" hitch, and if you are not doing anything else, I would side toward the 1.25".

If you are handy and have a desire, the offer videos on how to install each hitch, and the difficulty level. It all depends on the car.
Nice rack
I don't see myself doing anything else with the hitch other than possibly a kayak but I'm still not sure about that yet.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:54 am

goblue100 wrote:Better bikes have the quick release skewer and a little tab on the brakes you can use to open the brake wide enough to get a fully inflated tire on /off. Takes me a minute to take the front wheel off
Or take it one step further and get a bike with a front disc brake. There is nothing in the way of the tire at all and it literally takes less than five seconds to swap a tire out.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

nitro4214 wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:I've use both a hitch rack and taking the wheels off and putting them in the car. First thing, if you get a "real" bike with quick release wheels, you'll have something that rides 1000% better to begin with. Tow hitches are typically easy do it yourself things to buy and you can find them online very cheap. I have also taken apart bikes to leave them in the car when it might be in a place where the bike could more easily be stolen although a long cable lock going through both wheels and the safety chain mount of the tow hitch make that a low probability.
I guess my first step should be to get a different bike, and then determine whether or not I need a rack. The hitch rack sounds like the way to go if I go that route. Yes theft is definitely a concern because I will sometimes make multiple stops before or after I ride.
nitro4214,

A folding bike inside the car trunk is definitely the best choice to protect against theft.

KlangFool

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

nitro4214 wrote:
miles monroe wrote:i'm just a rec rider also, and get all my bikes (road, mountain, adult children) from REI when they are on sale. usually end up with a $800 bike for $500. i get their house brand, the novarro. not a trek, but i don't need that much bike.

There is no REI around here but there is a Dick's Sporting Goods, I will have to check out their selection.
Go to a shop that can fit you. If the bike is not the right size, you'll hate riding because of the discomfort. Spend the few extra bucks to go to an actual bike shop. The retailers generally don't have a clue on how to properly fit a bike for someone.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

lthenderson wrote:
goblue100 wrote:Better bikes have the quick release skewer and a little tab on the brakes you can use to open the brake wide enough to get a fully inflated tire on /off. Takes me a minute to take the front wheel off
Or take it one step further and get a bike with a front disc brake. There is nothing in the way of the tire at all and it literally takes less than five seconds to swap a tire out.
I like that idea. Are disc brakes common on bikes? More expensive?

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

KlangFool wrote: nitro4214,

A folding bike inside the car trunk is definitely the best choice to protect against theft.

KlangFool
Very true

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 pm

What kind of car do you have? Did you mention it and I missed it?

Honestly for a single bike you'll be better off just storing the bike inside the car with the front wheel off if it fits. Upgrade the bike if necessary. You usually don't really need a rack until you get into multiple bikes.

Roof racks will require buying the base crossbars and risers before you even get into the bike racks. Plus they are a big pain on any tall roof cars or if you are short.

Hitch racks will require the hitch first so again, more $$$ to spend before you even get to the rack.

I would save the money on the rack and put it towards a better bike, esp one that has an easier to remove front wheel. Or even a folder.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

nitro4214 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
I couldn't say. I bought my mountain bike fifteen years ago with disc brakes so I would assume they've only gotten more prevalent. Having had disc brakes for that long, I don't think I will ever go back to caliper style braking again. You never have to worry about bad brakes due to muddy or wet rims, never have to center the brakes or get them aligned in anyway and you don't have to worry about tire interference when taking the tires on or off.

masterofinvesting

Post by masterofinvesting » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:59 pm

This is the solution I used:
  • Install a hitch mount at the local UHAUL (cost about $180 ish).
  • Bought the Yakima Dr. Tray (expensive ~ $500) platform rack to carry two bikes. The main advantage of this rack is that it is quite lightweight (@ 35 lbs), so you can easily remove it when you don't need it - which is the case for a (very) occasional rider like me. I just take it off after the ride and put it in the garage. This way I can freely use my trunk space without having to move the rack out of the way first.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:11 pm

nitro4214 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Yes, becoming much more common. There is a big debate in the bike community, on whether they are safer or better. As far as expensive, depends on how high end you go.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 pm

nitro4214 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:

They are becoming more common now.

I would go look at the trek FX disc series of bikes. They are very comfortable and fun for a fitness bike. Non-agressive riding position which is comfortable.

It all depends how much you want to spend. The advantage of cheap trunk racks is that they cost less than your bike. Most of the options I've seen here appear to cost more than your bike :(

My next roadbike will have disc brakes.

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Hitch carrier. It's easier to load and unload the bike(s). Spring for the price of the hitch receiver - it can do double duty even though you never tow a trailer. Aside from carrying your bike, the hitch receiver is handy for a platform-type hitch carrier when you need to transport something too big/bulky for the trunk.

And when it isn't being used for the bike or the hitch carrier (most of the time), you insert a "Hitch Safe" for secure carrying of emergency cash and spare keys.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

I'd install a hitch receiver on any car I own simply in order to use the Hitch Safe, even if I never used it for any other purpose.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm

You can have U-Haul install a hitch for probably around $150 and you can get a cheapo hitch rack for probably $120 or so. Total cost maybe $250 - $300.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm

I think you purchased the wrong car. Just trade it in and buy something that you really want.
I am not going to bother putting the smiley faces.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I bought a hitch for my RAV4 online and installed it myself. I did get my shop to tighten the bolts with a torque wrench when I was in for service just to be sure the bolts were set.

I use a Thule swing-style rack on the hitch. I can swing everything out of the way to open up the back of the car without taking the bike down.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 pm

deleted post
Last edited by miles monroe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FraggleRock

Think outside the box

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Trade the car in and buy one that works with your bike rack.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:36 pm

wrongfunds wrote:I think you purchased the wrong car. Just trade it in and buy something that you really want.
A most excellent suggestion.
Many rear carriers need a protruding rear bumper to rest on and carry the weight. My Thule is like that and fits my Mustang just fine.
But it won't fit my GF's Ford Escape since its bumper is nearly flush with the body.
So yes, buy a Mustang...
Attempted new signature...

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 pm

texasdiver wrote:What kind of car do you have? Did you mention it and I missed it?

Honestly for a single bike you'll be better off just storing the bike inside the car with the front wheel off if it fits. Upgrade the bike if necessary. You usually don't really need a rack until you get into multiple bikes.

Roof racks will require buying the base crossbars and risers before you even get into the bike racks. Plus they are a big pain on any tall roof cars or if you are short.

Hitch racks will require the hitch first so again, more $$$ to spend before you even get to the rack.

I would save the money on the rack and put it towards a better bike, esp one that has an easier to remove front wheel. Or even a folder.
Ford Fusion. Sounds like a good plan

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:24 pm

lthenderson wrote:
nitro4214 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
I couldn't say. I bought my mountain bike fifteen years ago with disc brakes so I would assume they've only gotten more prevalent. Having had disc brakes for that long, I don't think I will ever go back to caliper style braking again. You never have to worry about bad brakes due to muddy or wet rims, never have to center the brakes or get them aligned in anyway and you don't have to worry about tire interference when taking the tires on or off.
Those are some good reasons for desc brakes. I am strongly leaning toward them for the next bike.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:26 pm

clutchied wrote:They are becoming more common now.

I would go look at the trek FX disc series of bikes. They are very comfortable and fun for a fitness bike. Non-agressive riding position which is comfortable.

It all depends how much you want to spend. The advantage of cheap trunk racks is that they cost less than your bike. Most of the options I've seen here appear to cost more than your bike :(

My next roadbike will have disc brakes.
Preferbly under 500
I will check out the Treks, seems to be a popular brand.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:27 pm

spectec wrote:Hitch carrier. It's easier to load and unload the bike(s). Spring for the price of the hitch receiver - it can do double duty even though you never tow a trailer. Aside from carrying your bike, the hitch receiver is handy for a platform-type hitch carrier when you need to transport something too big/bulky for the trunk.
If/when I do buy a rack, I will go hitch. Might also be useful if I ever buy a kayak, which I've been pondering but again, there would be issues with transporting it around.

nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

The Wizard wrote:A most excellent suggestion.
Many rear carriers need a protruding rear bumper to rest on and carry the weight. My Thule is like that and fits my Mustang just fine.
But it won't fit my GF's Ford Escape since its bumper is nearly flush with the body.
So yes, buy a Mustang...
wrongfunds wrote:I think you purchased the wrong car. Just trade it in and buy something that you really want.
FraggleRock wrote:Trade the car in and buy one that works with your bike rack.
I don't think so. It's a good commuter car, relatively good on gas, and I drive to work a lot more than I ride my bike. Trading it in would likely cost me significantly more money than the other options.

I had the opportunity to buy a small pickup truck for cheap last year, it had high miles (170 or so) but was well taken care of. I probably should have bought it but hesitated because of the extra insurance cost, plates, repairs, etc.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:32 am

I was obviously kidding. I am not sure about the others though.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 am

Regarding hitch racks... Hanging or Platform which do you prefer? And which one do you suggest, looking on the web many options just do not know which way to go I am thinking Platform type it looks to provide better support. I have a hanging type now ( portable trunk type) and it is a pain to get the bikes on and off.

Thanks

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 am

Dunno what anyone else said and I'm not gonna take the time to read 44 posts. If it's just your own bike I recommend the Saris Solo. It goes on and off your trunk in a minute, fits easily in the trunk with some spare shock cords, and is reasonably secure when properly installed and the bike is balanced over top with its weight evenly distributed on each side. Use a couple sponge guards on the pedals. I do it all the time. So much less hassle than a hitch rack or a bulky trunk rack. Cost is about $60. You might have to spring an extra $20 for a temporary horizontal top tube attachment thing that goes from your seat post to your stem.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 am

If you install the trailer hitch, make sure it is under the bumper. Just don't be one of those hole who has the hitch jutting out a feet from the vehicle. Ask how many knees have shattered walking through the parking lot. One would think this would be already illegal.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am

TLC1957 wrote:Regarding hitch racks... Hanging or Platform which do you prefer? And which one do you suggest, looking on the web many options just do not know which way to go I am thinking Platform type it looks to provide better support. I have a hanging type now ( portable trunk type) and it is a pain to get the bikes on and off.

Thanks
i've had both; currently have a thule hitch mounted platform type that was really expensive, but i greatly prefer it and have no concerns at all about safely taking it on forest service roads.

BarleywineAndBob

Post by BarleywineAndBob » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Disc brake fan here. Be sure to practice removing and replacing the wheels before you buy. Clearance between the rotor and pads can be small (which is nice) and cause a rubbing or rhythmic ringing if misaligned.
Businessmen, they drink my [barley]wine.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 pm

If you have a hitch rack that blocks your license plate, you can (and people have been) ticketed.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.