Apple or AT&T

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cookiegirl

Apple or AT&T

Post by Cookiegirl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 pm

My cell phone contract is over, what do you think about going with apple directly for a new phone or back to AT&T, or another carrier?

Dottie57

Re: Apple or AT&T

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 pm

I chose to pay up front. But I get service from Cricket which is cheaper, but owned by ATT.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Do you have the option to keep using the phone and convert your service to a non-contract plan? Competition has forced the carriers to drop the contract requirements when you already have a phone.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:12 pm

If you're going to buy a new phone check out the deal with Virgin.

Buy an iPhone and get service for free for a year, look up Virgin Inner Circle. Looks like a pretty good deal.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:36 pm

wilshuer wrote:If you're going to buy a new phone check out the deal with Virgin.

Buy an iPhone and get service for free for a year, look up Virgin Inner Circle. Looks like a pretty good deal.
Virgin Mobile is Sprint. Quite dissimilar to AT&T coverage unless you stay in a urban area.

You will pay ~$700 for your new iPhone. In one chunk, unlocked from Apple or in smaller monthly payments over 2 years or by getting the phone for less and paying more for your contract.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

keaton

Post by keaton » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:41 pm

You can get an iPhone SE 32GB for about $160 through Total Wireless, which is a Verizon MNVO. Much cheaper then getting ripped off by the main stream.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Do you need a new phone? If not, ask your carrier to unlock it and play the field. If so, what phone do you need? If you're willing to commit into a particular MVNO for 3 months to 1 year (depending on MVNO), you can get a discount.

There are lots of good iPhone SE deals at the moment. Pick your carrier and shop its MVNOs.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

livefreefam

Post by livefreefam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I have purchased my phone outright since being grandfathered into Verizon's Unlimited Plan from 2008.
I would always suggest purchasing your phone outright as it allows you to have more flexibility. Thus, I would buy from Apple. You could likely get cash back from PerksAtWork, TopCashBack, or other rebate sites. Depending on what credit cards you use to purchase, you can likely double the warranty, too.

On the note of buying outright for flexibility... I ditched Verizon earlier this year for T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. T-Mobile often runs aggressive promotions for a no cost iPhone/Galaxy that as far as I am aware, don't have the two-year obligations.

We have the T-Mobile One Plus plan. $40/line (tax inclusive), Unlimited Talk/Text/Data, 10Gb tethering, no-cost international usage, and a $10 kickback per line if that line has used less than 2Gb of data. Our bill for last month was $120 for 4 lines.

T-Mobile also has a program called T-Mobile Tuesdays where they give away various items to all their subscribers: MLB Live Annual Subscriptions for no cost, Chipotle discounts, free Dunkin Donuts coffee, free movie rentals from Vudu and Redbox, etc. As I said, T-Mobile has been incredibly aggressive with their offers. Worth a look.

Sprint is upping their game as well, currently they are offering one year of unlimited talk/text/data for no cost other than taxes. With a paid-up phone, you could theoretically switch to them for a year, enjoy a year of free service, then swap to another carrier after it ends.
Last edited by livefreefam on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:03 pm

It really depends on what deals are being offered. A couple weeks ago I noticed that Sams Club was giving $200 off iPhones with a new line at AT & T. If you already have ATT...You start a new line, get a new number, and then port your old number to your new phone.

If you are not getting a discount, I would just buy from Apple.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 pm

I would say buy from whichever gives you the cheapest overall cost. All things equal, I would recommend buying from AT&T, or really any retail store other than Apple direct. Simple reason is if you have an issue with the phone you have more options on how to remedy. Apple has the best customer service, but I find the stores are a nightmare. I'd rather deal with a Walmart or an AT&T store thats super convenient than drive to a mall and deal with an overcrowded Apple store.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 am

Katietsu wrote:It really depends on what deals are being offered. A couple weeks ago I noticed that Sams Club was giving $200 off iPhones with a new line at AT & T. If you already have ATT...You start a new line, get a new number, and then port your old number to your new phone.
Unless you actually NEED a new line, this is a false economy. ATT is going to charge you $15/mo plus taxes (on older plans, $20 on newer ones) for that additional line, for a minimum of 24 months. So you wind up paying $500 for that $200 discount.

gclancer

Post by gclancer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am

livefreefam wrote:I would always suggest purchasing your phone outright as it allows you to have more flexibility. Thus, I would buy from Apple. You could likely get cash back from PerksAtWork, TopCashBack, or other rebate sites.
+1 The general rule of thumb should be to buy an unlocked phone from Apple (they have a 0% APR payment plan too) unless there is some specific deal that you're targeting by buying the phone through a carrier. I've always ended up better off by remaining "off contract" with all service providers unless they provide an incredible incentive to go "on contract."

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:11 am

Cookiegirl wrote:My cell phone contract is over, what do you think about going with apple directly for a new phone or back to AT&T, or another carrier?
No idea. I'd shop the options and compare over the time period if an offer has such a requirement. I.e. if an offer requires signing up for a 2 year payment plan (or contract, etc) then run the numbers for both options over the 2 years and compare.

Carrier selection should be done primarily with whether or not the carrier can provide the coverage you need where you need it.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Katietsu wrote:
It really depends on what deals are being offered. A couple weeks ago I noticed that Sams Club was giving $200 off iPhones with a new line at AT & T. If you already have ATT...You start a new line, get a new number, and then port your old number to your new phone.

Lazy David wrote
Unless you actually NEED a new line, this is a false economy. ATT is going to charge you $15/mo plus taxes (on older plans, $20 on newer ones) for that additional line, for a minimum of 24 months. So you wind up paying $500 for that $200 discount.
You add the new line and get the discount on the new line with its new phone number. Then, the next day you port your old number to this new line and close down the old line. You end up with the same number of lines as you started with. So, at most, you are out an activation fee and 50 cents for a day of extra service. You are also out the 10 extra minutes to do the port and deactivation of the old line. This maneuver is only necessary if you are staying with the same carrier.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:54 am

Now is probably a bad time to buy a new iPhone. This year's phones are likely to be announced in September and be available in September or October.

Even if you don't want one of the newer models, you will likely be able to get current models at a significant discount at that time.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am

Verizon offers discounts several times per year, I've got my last 3 iPhones for 30-40% off including my iPhone 7 Plus which I got in December. It actually isn't a bad time to buy an iPhone 7 as there should be some pretty good deals and the iPhone 8 will be an incredibly bad idea (too much new technology, better to wait for the 8S).

STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 pm

With the release of the next version iPhone on the doorstep, I plan costing my options once Verizon announces the trade-in offer.