Golfers - need to ramp up ASAP!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Golfers - need to ramp up ASAP!

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi BH Golfers,

I was invited to a big reunion with some college friends. Among the activities is 18 holes of golf. I have one month to prepare.

I haven't golfed in probably 20 years and I was never bit by the 'golf bug.' But now I live within walking distance of two golf courses and it might be a good time to brush up a little. I also have a driving range a few miles away.

- What's the best way to learn the basics? Should I take lesson$?
- How much to spend on a set of basic clubs? (I don't want to buy used, I'm afraid they would be the wrong size or something.)
- Where to get some advice without being ripped off?

Thanks!

Rupert

Re: Golfers - need to ramp up ASAP!

Post by Rupert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Take a few refresher lessons from the pro at your local muni course, but don't expect to become a good golfer in a month. Your expectations should probably be to just not embarrass yourself on the course. You absolutely should buy used clubs. Ask the pro who gives you lessons to help you find a good set of irons, a putter that feels good in your hands, a 3 wood, and maybe a 7 wood. You're not going to master the driver in a month, and using one without experience will increase the odds that you'll embarrass yourself (see above re what your expectations should be).

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:55 pm

If you were shooting 100 or less twenty years ago, you should just go out and play. It comes back pretty quickly. If your scores were really high, I'm not sure you have enough time to look like a good golfer, but I could be wrong of course. Maybe you can play a few practice rounds with friends who are good and get some pointers. If you think you might want to play after this reunion, then by all means take lessons.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with going with used clubs. The sizes are pretty standard, and you can save a ton of money. If you get more serious you could get fitted for clubs. Garages across America are littered with really good clubs that will never be used, and people are always trying to sell them. Check Craigslist.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Rupert has good advice.

Take a few lessons, hit the driving range. Have a reasonable (Craigslist) set of new-ish clubs. No need to go hog wild.

I prefer slightly older clubs. A good swing will trump much of the new technology. Although the new drivers can really compensate for swing issues at times.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:57 pm

sunny_socal wrote:Hi BH Golfers,

I was invited to a big reunion with some college friends. Among the activities is 18 holes of golf. I have one month to prepare.

I haven't golfed in probably 20 years and I was never bit by the 'golf bug.' But now I live within walking distance of two golf courses and it might be a good time to brush up a little. I also have a driving range a few miles away.

- How much to spend on a set of basic clubs? (I don't want to buy used, I'm afraid they would be the wrong size or something.)

Thanks!
My advice would be to avoid the actual playing. If there are multiple activities, and only one of them is a single round of golf, I'd skip playing, and just ride along with the guys (and gals) while they play. Unless you are completely unbothered by hitting lots of bad golf shots in front of people you haven't seen for a long time, playing is likely to frustrate you. Bone up on your golf terminology and perhaps the latest events in the golf world (go Spieth!) and ride along with the rest of them, cheering on the good shots. If the reunion has multiple rounds of golf my advice might be different.

jpdion

Post by jpdion » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:04 pm

I knew a guy who said it really doesn't matter how well you play if you're dressed sharp and amiable -- and don't hold up the other guys! You probably can rent clubs if the course you'll be playing at is half way decent. I wouldn't buy new or used if you don't intend to take the game up on a regular basis. Fore!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

However you prepare, be aware of a couple of golf conventions:

1. No one cares how badly you play, as long as you keep up the pace.

2. Don't whine about your bad shots or make excuses, or otherwise draw attention to your lousy game.

3. In the end, the only things that people want in a golf partner is some good conversation, knowledge of the rules of golf (you might want a briefer on these rather than spend a lot of time trying to get better on the range), and someone who does not interfere with their playing partners' games.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Na, listen you're gonna suck. Get over it. Don't buy clubs if you're not going to use them and don't spend the money on lessons if you're not going to play. Both will be a waste. Golf lessons are great if you're going to play. Your biggest challenge is going to be having the strength and endurance to concentrate and play 18 holes especially if this group plays a lot. Go to a course (maybe the course you will play when the time comes) or driving range and rent clubs and hit a couple buckets of balls two or three times a week for the next few weeks and get used to swinging and hitting so the first ball you hit in 20 years isn't on the first tee. Unless you were a great golfer and played with these guys the expectation may not be that high. Golf isn't, as we all know, an easy game to play especially if you don't play consistently.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Anyone who thinks they can "ramp up" their golf game is living in a Fool's Paradise. I've played golf for probably 60 years now and there has never been any ramping up. Yes, my swing looks better than it used to, but the scorecard still sucks. Forgeddaboudit. Spend your ramping up time doing something useful. :)
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Lessons and driving range practice are definitely good ways to go. I'd try to look up some of the PGA instructors in the area and book a lesson. The most serious instructors will probably advertise that they use some type of swing measuring tool like Trackman. While this isn't really necessary in order to teach the basics, it shows that they are serious instructors who are investing in themselves and their students. The instructor should be able to give you some basic ideas to use in your practice at the range. Of course you can take as many lessons as you wish, but it depends on what you are willing to spend.

WIth clubs, the more economical way to do this would be to take the lesson and see if the instructor can give you some basic recommendations for clubs/shafts/length. At the beginner level, you'll want to figure out the swing a bit before you go off and spend a fortune on clubs. I'd definitely start with a used set, and I highly recommend GlobalGolf.com. Once you progress a bit, you could book a club fitting and see if your existing set could be adjusted to your preferences, or if another set would be better. The fit of the clubs are far more important than the price you are paying for them, but the fit is difficult when your swing is rapidly changing. In general though, I'd focus more on improving your swing than worrying about your clubs.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 pm

A couple of additional thoughts: If you have local friends who are avid golfers, odds are they have some extra clubs lying around. A lot of golfers will keep their last set of irons, for example, when they buy a new set in case the new set doesn't suit them. Ask to borrow them. Don't try to master all the clubs in the bag. Just practice with a few of them. Every player has a couple of clubs, usually a wood and an iron, that they hit more often than all the others combined. For me, they were the 7 wood and the 7 iron. I could play an entire round with just those two clubs plus a putter and a sand wedge. Helps keep things simple.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Rupert has good advice on borrowing irons. I have three sets.

Maybe do some chipping and putting at the local course. Lot harder than you may think.

When you get back:
Read Harvey Penick's A little Red Book. I would call it the boglehead golf book. Simple. Not technical. It's on my nightstand and maybe it will bring you back to the game?

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Heh, your post brought back one of my worst work experiences. A client came in from out of town and the plan was for the client to golf with the VP, and the VP ended up having to travel overseas and appointed me and another co-worker to take the client golfing. I had gone exactly once 15 years earlier, and didn't care for it. I begged off but the VP said that wasn't an option. I had a month to prepare. Took 4 lessons from the pro at the local driving range, and the pro said under the circumstances my best option was to pick up my ball after 6 strokes on a hole and move on to the next. Simply told them before we started I was just learning and in the interest of keeping things moving, I was going to just pick up after 6 strokes - didn't even keep score. Since I wasn't going to play competitively I didn't try to kill myself trying to get good in a month. I can't say I enjoyed playing but the others didn't seem to mind as I wasn't holding things up.

JWooden10

Post by JWooden10 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Good points above that I agree with:
- Don't worry about how well you play. No recreational player plays better under pressure.
- Worry about enjoying the day and being a good playing partner.
- Borrowing or used clubs are good enough unless you are quite unusual in your size. Upgrade to new once you get the golf bug and have a somewhat repeatable swing.
- Lessons are expensive but can be worth it with a good teacher. Just manage expectations (i.e., a win is you'll swing and miss very rarely and hit 1-2 beautiful shots).
- Many courses have a get golf ready introductory program I've heard great things about. Not sure if it is offered now or just at the beginning of the season.

Good luck and have fun.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Depending on what OP's goals are, lots of practice and a new set of clubs plus perhaps other golf gear may make the problem worse, not better.

i.e. If OP shows up, gets rental clubs, says, "Hey, I haven't played for 20 years, but let's just have fun.", I doubt many folks will care much one way or another if OP hits badly. Perhaps you can get your group to agree to a scramble (play the best shot amongst 2 players, or a foursome, thus greatly reducing the downside of OP's likely large # of poor shots).

But if OP shows up with a brand new golf bag and some pricey clubs, and talks about how he/she has been working with a pro lately, etc., then OP will look a bit more foolish if/when shots do go astray.
Last edited by psteinx on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 am

I would play a few rounds on my own before the big event to see where you are at, Do you plan to get back into golf or is it a one time thing?. I would also check out the lay out of the golf course, Is it extremely challenging with lots of water? Also don't get caught cheating, it can be more detrimental to your credibility than being a lousy golfer.
Have fun and keep you head down

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 am

I played golf when I was single and fresh out of college....played 2x to 3x per week. (No wife, girlfriend, in a new town, with days off during the week)...it was a perfect storm.

I shot in the low 90s and occasionally 80s......but I also went to the practice range at least 2x per week on top of playing. One day I would shoot a 89, the next time out...maybe 115. :)

Then I stopped. Got married, started a business, had kids, bought rental houses.....everything I could do to bury golf in the past. Gave my clubs to goodwill last summer.

My advise.....drive the cart, drink beer and tell the other guys you stopped playing to make your millions working. You'll have more fun driving the cart and talking about old college times without golf getting in the way.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 am

Swing as fast as you can to make sure you really crush the ball, and be sure to pick your head up right away to watch the ball shooting through the air!

Head up, swing fast, what could possibly go wrong?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks everyone.

I'll likely stick with the "drink beer and drive a cart" approach for this trip. I may not even make it to the game unless I leave a day early and arriving late due to the cross country flight provides a good excuse to skip it.

I'm still somewhat interested in golf however:
- I need a hobby where I can get some exercise, even if it's just walking
- My kids may like it, particularly my older son (15.) He's not into team sports.

westie

Post by westie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am

Trust me, most people suck at golf and you can't get better in a month. Memories of you at the golf outing will not be how well you played, but on how many rounds you bought from the cart girl.

slazers

Post by slazers » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 am

I highly recommend the book "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" this book was key to the successes with my game.

Good luck!
Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 am

westie wrote:Trust me, most people suck at golf and you can't get better in a month. Memories of you at the golf outing will not be how well you played, but on how many rounds you bought from the cart girl.
+1. I really enjoy the game, but because of work, family, other obligations only play a couple of times a year. I've never "gotten into it." I'm 35 and have probably played less than 50 rounds total since I was 15.

I heard recently that 90% of golfers do not break 90. I played last year with a client and shot a 99. So as long as you can shoot around 100 +/-, and the other players are not real good, you should be fine.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 am

Recently I introduced my husband to the game. I inherited a condo in Florida that we use a couple times a year, which is on a municipal public course between the 1st and 18th hole. He grew up in East Germany and was at first reluctant simply because he never knew anyone who played. I took him for one lesson in Germany so he could learn how to hold a club with instructions in his native language. Then he approached his learning as he does all things, he read 3 books on technique. He's a scientist and says that's how he learns anything new, he reads about it and then practices. And guess what, he loves playing now!! How practices in the yard and even in the house!!

We're still hackers, so we go out towards the end of the day when there are less players to disturb and less pressure for us. If you are ever in Broward County Florida, let us know. Another tip I think is to play with people who are on your level.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 pm

The cheapest way to learn is through your friends. The first time I played the guys that knew what they were doing gave me pointers as the game went on and I got better. I know you say no used clubs but unless your height/arms are widely outside the normal average you should be able to find something at a local thrift shop. If you end up never playing again it would limit the loss. The cheapest, basic starter kit should run you $200-$250 (Maybe less if you catch a sale)
Don't worry about being terrible because once you get there you will realize that just about everybody else sucks too.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks everyone.

I'll likely stick with the "drink beer and drive a cart" approach for this trip. I may not even make it to the game unless I leave a day early and arriving late due to the cross country flight provides a good excuse to skip it.

- My kids may like it, particularly my older son (15.) He's not into team sports.
I have a lot of experience with golf at all levels (current "senior" with a 5 handicap), and think your plan is far and away the best option. You can have a great time with the cart and conversation plan, and so can your more experienced golfing buddies.

I have some ideas on how someone might approach learning and enjoying this great game and can share them later if asked.

Have a great time with your friends!

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks!
(1) It's a reunion not the US Open. Go to Barnes and Noble and find a book of jokes appropriate for the crew. If they are so serious that they will not want to joke around at all do yourself a favor and skip the golf portion of the reunion. Meet them at the 19th hole and but them a beer.
(2) You can get a beginner's set for $200-300 including bag. Wilson makes good beginner's sets. If you belong to Costco you can get golf balls there that are good for beginners (they are relatively forgiving in the sense of going pretty straight). Walmart has tees and golf balls at low price.
(3) If you have the money and inclination, get lessons. Hand grip and position on the club are vital for hitting the ball straight.
(4) If you are not taking lessons, then look on the internet at youtube lessons for grip.
(5) Go to the driving range. Practice driving the ball from a tee. If you slice (the ball tails off to the right) or hook (ball tails left) look for specific youtube help to correct.
(6) Once you can use the driver (and while you are perfecting) try using the other clubs. See if you can master the #3 fairway wood - - remember to use the proper grip and forearm positions that help you avoid slicing/hooking and find your foot positions relative to the ball that enable you to hit for distance consistently with the 3 wood.
(7) The steps above cover the long game. If you can hit long your friends will be impressed even if your short game is miserable. Look at youtube for hints on choking up on the club or half swings for shorter shots.
(8) If your friends are fun, none of this matters.
(9) Remember steps 1 and 8.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I would offer to drive the cart and drink beer. More fun than playing anyway, IMHO. :)

Golf, a good walk spoiled. - Mark Twain
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:54 pm

goblue100 wrote:I would offer to drive the cart and drink beer. More fun than playing anyway, IMHO. :)

Golf, a good walk spoiled. - Mark Twain
I was thinking the same thing.

As long as the OP doesn't get so tipsy that he drives the cart into a water hazard :)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

[quote="goblue100"]I would offer to drive the cart and drink beer. More fun than playing anyway, IMHO. :)

A most viable alternative! You can spot shots and help find lost balls and participate in the group fun in that helping way.

P.S. anyone with a "Go Blue" sentiment will do well to google "university of michigan glee club zion park Larson" to find a heartwarming UM vignette.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 pm

TN_Boy wrote:

Thanks!
My advice would be to avoid the actual playing. If there are multiple activities, and only one of them is a single round of golf, I'd skip playing, and just ride along with the guys (and gals) while they play. Unless you are completely unbothered by hitting lots of bad golf shots in front of people you haven't seen for a long time, playing is likely to frustrate you. Bone up on your golf terminology and perhaps the latest events in the golf world (go Spieth!) and ride along with the rest of them, cheering on the good shots. If the reunion has multiple rounds of golf my advice might be different.

+1 This is great advice..........if you have never been bit by the golf bug.......you......and your pals will have more fun by you just having fun watching them golf......enjoy a few beers along the way.......... :beer

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Just buy some balls to bring and rent clubs from the golf course. Buying clubs seems out of proportion to the need and golf is on life support.

Are you driving or flying? The club rental will likely be less than the fee for taking clubs on the plane. There is also an expensive bag carrier approved by the airline if you fly.

Go to your local driving range and practice some putting and chipping, if they don't have a loaner then ask to demo clubs. People will remember one good putt more than anything else.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 pm

sunny_socal wrote:Thanks everyone.

You should think about signing up for a Golf Ready program with your son. Around us it's about $99 for five hour-long lessons that cover the basics. Great way to start off so you can practice with purpose between lessons. http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/ge ... golf-ready

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 am

slazers wrote:I highly recommend the book "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" this book was key to the successes with my game.

Good luck!
For this event I wouldnt worry and just drive the cart.

If you want to start golf then I would start with the book above. Easy read and can be read in a day. It covers the basic full swing. Then spend a couple weeks whacking the ball with your best interpretation of what Ben Hogan was saying to develop a swing. Use the V1 app on your phone to take a few videos and send to Dan at iteachgolf.com. For $50 he will do a swing analysis or online lesson and give you a couple tips to work on with drills. He is a very good instructor. If you really are dedicated and interested in getting better this is a minimal cost way to get a basic swing. Then use Dan more if you want to continue improving.

From my experience - Was at a class for work for a month and a half with 2 co-workers who were golfers both outranked me at work. One a single handicap and the other a serious beginner who took regular lessons but had only been playing for a year or so. I showed up and using their strict rules shot a 120 something embarrassing. Didnt get better on my own so I bought Hogan's book and read it and hit the range one weekend. The next week I was consistently in the upper 90s. Kept reading the book over and over and eventually got to a best round of 92 and best 9 holes of 43. Heard about Dan about a year later. Have had two lessons over last 3 months and just hitting his drills and playing once a week. Shot a 9 hole 37 last weekend which is my current best. Total spend was $6 for the book, $100 for two lessons, the cost of range and rounds. From 120 something to the 80s. Truthfully it took 1.5 years but that is nothing but the book the first year and hitting the plateau and then 2 lessons this year over 3 months. Very happy so far and no longer the embarrassment in any golfing group.

When I say embarrassment I do not mean that derogatory. I didnt understand that I shouldnt slow them down and just kept hitting. Eventually I picked up on the body language and such although nothing was said. If I would have taken the advice above and just tagged along and picked up when needed (sort of best ball-ish) it would have been fine for a day or two. In my case it was expected that I golf with them daily for the duration of the course so I couldnt keep hitting 120s.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:13 am

I would suggest you skip the golf portion of the reunion. Unless your foursome sets the goal for the round as getting drunk, it will likely be a very frustrating/not fun round for both yourself and possibly your playing partners.

If you decide you still want to play, I don't see the point in spending upwards of $1,000 or more on new clubs (which is what decent ones cost these days) when you are likely still going to be a horrible golfer with them. Buy used name brand ones on ebay from a reputable seller or look at the used club section of your local golf store.

Otherwise if you play, the best advice I can give is keep up with the group, pick up the ball when you reach two times par on a hole, don't take practice swings on every shot, and don't copy silly pre-shot routines you see from tour players on TV.

CW47

Post by CW47 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Just as an option, I haven't seen mentioned (assuming this is a scramble like most events of this kind). Maybe try to snag some used irons and find a putter that feels right. Anyone can putt a little. In a scramble you all take your shot from the same place. You could putt first to help the better golfers get a read on the green. Just take some direction on where to aim and try to hit smooth and with reasonable speed for the course. You could also spend a little time trying to chip. Maybe even take a lesson or watch some youtube videos and find a place to practice. Leave the driver and the long irons to the real golfers (this is when you drive the cart and make sure the beer is stocked). If this is a scramble, making a few chips and putts can definitely help a bad golfer earn his keep on a scramble (assuming you are playing with weekend hackers). Just a thought on a hybrid of drinking beers/driving the cart and actually trying to play a little.

I'm a hack that plays league, but don't get to practice much. When I do practice, I focus more on short game. You might only hit your driver 15 times in 18 holes. You'll usually putt and chip a lot more than that, so why not start first with the things that you'd do most often? Good luck!

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 am

Well, if all else fails, there's always Leslie Nielsen's "Bad Golf" way of playing golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUdFEP6tCI

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm

"One" of the activities is golf. I reckon you are not worried about the other activities. So golf is just one. Lets hope you are not surfing too.
I concur with almost everyone here.
You are not going to get much in a month, even if you start to play a few times a week. What you will truly get is frustrated.
Don't buy clubs. Next thing you may post about what clubs to buy. Times a wasting as this thread evolves.
Everyone may watch you drive the ball, all the other strokes no one will see or care about. So just go to a range once and hit balls trying to get it downrange straight and somewhat respectable. Straight beats distance.
Golf is one of the most frustrating games to play. Expect nothing. Have a good time.
Being the bad one in the group, you can serve as a welcome foil to the others. Someone will be the bad one. May as well be you.

In essence, don't sweat it.

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I would agree with most here. Unless you feel you will get bitten by the golf bug after this outing, there is no point in lessons or buying clubs for one round of golf.

Go to the driving range a couple times a week before the golf outing and just go have fun for that round. Rent some clubs, or see if you can borrow a friend or neighbors. Leave the driver in the bag. It's the hardest club to hit and will make you look the worst of any club. Shoot, play with just irons and the putter. At least you will be on the course then. :happy

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:36 pm

The best short term golfing aid is something called BEER.

There's a reason they refer to it as "swing oil."

If you're having problems, you either haven't had enough beer, you're not keeping your head down, or some combination thereof.

Good luck,

JT

P.S. It's also more fun if someone else is driving the cart, that you call them "Driver", and you insist they call you "General." So let's say you hook one into the woods. You say, "Driver, let's reconnoiter those woods over yonder." And your driver responds, "Yes, General!", and squeals off.

You can be the driver, but it's more fun being the General. Trust me.
Last edited by bottlecap on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:40 pm

I would not personally choose golf as a way to get exercise. Most courses that would be frequented by a casual golfer, at least in my area, would require you to use a cart. The exercise that you get is certainly not cardiovascular and is not at all well rounded. If you would be sitting in a recliner during that time period, it would obviously be a step up in movement.

On the other hand, it could work out well if it becomes an activity that you and your son could try together. Starting with a driving range, putting green and a few intro lessons should reduce frustration. When you hit the course, I would anticipate that 9 holes will be plenty for awhile. And, if possible, choose a time when the course is not fully booked so that you do not have to choose between holding up other groups and picking up your ball and skipping play.

supernova23

Post by supernova23 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Given your situation I wouldn't worry too much about swing mechanics. Just to do the following:

1. Relax
2. Focus on making good contact with ball
3. Have fun
"Find what you love and let it kill you", Bukowski

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Katietsu wrote:I would not personally choose golf as a way to get exercise. Most courses that would be frequented by a casual golfer, at least in my area, would require you to use a cart. The exercise that you get is certainly not cardiovascular and is not at all well rounded. If you would be sitting in a recliner during that time period, it would obviously be a step up in movement.

On the other hand, it could work out well if it becomes an activity that you and your son could try together. Starting with a driving range, putting green and a few intro lessons should reduce frustration. When you hit the course, I would anticipate that 9 holes will be plenty for awhile. And, if possible, choose a time when the course is not fully booked so that you do not have to choose between holding up other groups and picking up your ball and skipping play.
Golf is a surprisingly good way to get exercise if you walk. I am more fortunate than Katietsu; in my area there are numerous walkable golf courses. I think there are at least seven within a 25 minute drive of my house (I might be forgetting one or two). Two of them are outstanding; the other five I'm thinking vary from fair to pretty decent. There are others I can walk only a bit further away. I have seen areas, like parts of Florida, where they seem to only build courses for carts. Sad.

I read a study that found if you walk 18 pushing a cart or carrying your bag you burn well over 1,000 calories. I found this hard to believe, until I got a fitness watch with a heartbeat monitor. Knowing your weight and heartrate, it will estimate your calorie expenditure for a "event." For me it calculates about 1200 calories. When you walk a course, you generally cover between 5.5 and 6.5 miles, depending on the course, and how often you wind up in the trees looking for your ball. But that wouldn't imply burning over 1,000 calories. Except that I found while using the heartrate monitor that my heart rate while golfing generally stayed between my rate for a brisk walk and a run. Surprised me. And that heart rate is staying there for 3 to 4 hours. Now, I walk fairly fast, preferring to play when the course is not real busy. But the point is, walking 18 holes can be good exercise, and that's without mentioning the actual swings. And a bonus -- the worse you are, the more exercise you get!

One warning, well not really a warning, but taking your son out would be best done when the course is not busy. But you are likely to encounter fast moving singles and two-somes at those times, so be sure and understand the etiquette around letting people play through.

I was pleased though, that the OP decided not to try and "ramp up" on golf in a month for one round at a reunion. That was unlikely to be anything but frustrating.

Talisker

Post by Talisker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

shameless plug, but if the the golf includes standard type bets, get the golf accountant app. read up on the bets and have results automatically calculated.

GA