Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:10 pm

So far this year, not a Amazon heavy year, my 5% has given me $190 in balance offsets. For a year, that's around $350 (and, I think a more typical year would be $500).

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:13 pm

flamesabers wrote:
sharpjm wrote:I don't have any argument against the folks who value prime video and other services as part of prime. Personally I think they are not worth anything, but to each their own. What I take issue with is people saying they get value out of free shipping... how many sub $25 orders are you placing each year to make use of this free shipping? If it was marketed accurately - "Free shipping on orders under $25" I think fewer people would drink the koolaid. The rest of us get free shipping at amazon without paying an annual fee by simply waiting to order until our cart has $25 in it. Likewise Jet, Walmart, Target, etc all give free shipping. And if you are placing so many sub $25 orders, how is amazon actually saving you any time?
Free shipping for Prime members isn't the same as free shipping for non-Prime members. Outside of 3-party vendors, Prime members get 2-day shipping for free. Non-prime members can use the free super-savers shipping, which can take anywhere from 5-8 business days. Sometimes your order gets delivered sooner then that, other times it doesn't.
Then folks should be qualifying their posts by saying "I value prime because I am impatient" rather than claiming it is due to free shipping.

Walmart also offers free 2day shipping without charging an annual fee.

frugalnotenough

Post by frugalnotenough » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:27 pm

I have been a Prime member for several years. When we need something, like a swim cap or a swim google b/c my kid lost or destroy hers on a weekday, and I don't have to drive to a store, pay the retail price, which is typically higher than that on Amazon, and still can get to bed early enough to get up at 5 the next day, it is worth it. I also always get the monthly free book. Though the movie selection is limited and mostly old stuff, we still watch one every other week or so, and listen to prime music.

When I see a good deal, I don't have to wait till I get enough for the free shipping, as price changes all the time on Amazon, and I can get the item in two days. I shop for most of the Christmas gifts on Amazon as well.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 pm

I stick around for the Amazon Prime video. I am contemplating just using Netflix but I like some of the Amazon exclusive shows. Bosch for example.
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 pm

I used to have multiple account with yearly fees. Costco, Amazon Prime, Thrive Market. Cancelled 2 and only kept the Amazon Prime. 2 reason online video streaming is free and going shopping at Costco is a nightmare with the crowds. I will pay a little more to avoid the crowds. Also, Walmart now ships online order to your house for free. I will not shop at Walmart but the online is good for some items.

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:48 pm

If you define "worth it" as paying for itself, then no. If you define "worth it" as being able to order a single tube of toothpaste with free 2-day shipping, then definitely.

My toilet paper, laundry soap, car parts, dog food, lawn care supplies, tools, underwear, garage shelving, liquor, and pretty much everything else comes from Amazon. I probably only go to a non-grocery, brick and mortar store about semi-annually now. I am Amazon's wet dream of a customer.

Sorry, environment. :(

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:39 am

We like it and feel its well worth it.
Prime Video has a lot of really great documentaries (Ken Burns, PBS series such as American Experience, etc.) that I haven't seen on NetFlix.
Prime Music has a nice variety of streaming music channels that are commercial free.
Prime shipping is awesome - prior to Prime we used to try to fill our basket to get to free shipping minimums - now if I need a $2 item I can order it and get it in 2 or 3 days (if it takes 3 days instead of 2 and I take the time to call they extend my membership by 1 month). We run far fewer errands.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 am

Worth it to us. We but a lot though Amazon. Using monthly subscribe and save (Prime not required) we get 15% off recurring orders, which is great when you regularly need diapers, wipes, baby food/formula, and can tack on some staples like cereals and snacks. With Amazon Prime Visa, we get another 5% back on this and all orders.

The video selection is decent. Older HBO stuff (I think roughly three years old and older) and good Amazon originals. We like Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent, and there are many others. Also lots of kids series for free.

Also decent free music that you can download to mobile devices.

Good customer service. I'm not sure if it is as good for non-Prime members, but we've been given many free returns for Prime purchases that did not state that returns were free.

And, as many have mentioned, the convenience and quickness of delivery.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 pm

For $99 I can avoid countless hours of driving to the mall/Walmart/Target etc? No brainer. I am shocked how some people don't value their time and they discount the gas and wear and tear on their vehicle. They will drive 30 miles one way and take one hour of their time plus the time I store and incur roughly $40 of gas and wear/tear on car to save $10.

I have two kids and lord knows what they need at any point in time. The other day my daughter needed tights and ballet shoes and leotard for dance class. Here in 2 days with prime. I can't imagine the suffering involved to figure out where to buy that crap brick and mortar.

We use it for clothes electronics shoes misc knick knacks. I don't use it for groceries because prices are much higher. I'll go a fight it out at a grocery store once a week.

Amazon prime card saves 5% on everything.

Mostly use Netflix so rarely use the video streaming but do on occasion.

I will say I had to change my ID and PW for my daughter after she rang up $400 of party favors. Luckily I was able to return most of them. She now has a separate ID linked to family but not to credit card.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 pm

It is to us. Even if it only saves us one trip per month to WalMart, Target, etc, it is well worth it. YMMV.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 am

It's worthwhile to our family because of how we use it. We don't shop exclusively online but will, if the variety is wider or the difference in price between online and b&m is unjustified (in our opinion). We are willing to pay a reasonable premium to support b&m stores if that's where we buy. We will buy in a b&m store if that's where we did our comparison shopping and/or got personal service. Shipping costs are part of our purchase decision. Faster shipping is convenient but not a requirement.

With respect to streaming video, one of the things we like is integration with TiVo. If we record new episodes of a TV series on the DVR, TiVo lists older streaming episodes seamlessly in the list of available shows. It's pretty slick. That's not exclusive to Amazon Prime but it's useful that Amazon Prime works that way.

sox2017

Post by sox2017 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm

We signed up for Prime for the first time about 6 months ago. I had been ordering from Amazon for years prior to this. So far I haven't been overly impressed with Prime.

Some other observations -

- We don't buy a ton of "stuff". Essentials (pantry items, paper towels, toothpaste, etc.) at Amazon are kind of a pain. They are either under Amazon Pantry which forces you to pay another $6 for shipping. Or is an add on item, which requires the total order to exceed $25. If I'm not ordering these types of items through Amazon, it will drastically decrease the amount I order from them.

- Ancillary services do not justify the additional $99. Spotify is just as good as Amazon Music and is free (for non premium). Nothing on Video is a must have and I already have Netflix which has more then enough to watch.

- Prices are often not competitive. I find that a lot of the essentials are priced the same or more on Amazon vs. Walmart or Costco.

- The convenience is nice....but we live 5 - 10 minutes from most stores and have to usually go for something anyway. So picking up something additional while we're there anyways is not a big deal (I could see how this would be a huge benefit if you lived somewhere very rural).

- I do love the fact that when I need to order something small (say less then $20), I can order it without having to fill my cart with more then $35 worth of stuff (assuming the item is not panty or an add on)

- The one item that makes it totally worth it for us is on diapers. The 20% off if you subscribe and save probably saves us about $150 per year and basically pays for prime and then some.

For now, I will keep Prime for the diaper savings, but would probably not renew

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:38 am

I'm in the camp that says Prime is worth the price.

I ordered a table saw as a Christmas present. It was very very heavy. With Prime I payed $0 for shipping. It would have cost a fortune to ship something that large with that kind of weight. The price I paid was cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot and it was delivered to my front door. I literally rolled my dolly out of the garage and rolled a table saw in there. Hard to beat that kind of service for free.

My wife and I use the Amazon store card which saves us 5% on all Amazon purchases. We also use subscribe and save for paper towels, toilet paper, cleaners, swiffer pads, etc. Subscribe and Save gives us an additional 15% off on all that stuff. It is all delivered to the front door for free.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am

flossy21 wrote:I'm in the camp that says Prime is worth the price.

I ordered a table saw as a Christmas present. It was very very heavy. With Prime I payed $0 for shipping. It would have cost a fortune to ship something that large with that kind of weight. The price I paid was cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot and it was delivered to my front door.
Was it over $35 and therefore eligible for free shipping at the same price without Prime?

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 am

I tried for a little while and, to be honest with you, unless you shop on a daily basis on Amazon and you need your items asap...no. I think a normal 5 day delivery for an average shopper is more than enough.

keystone

Post by keystone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

It's worth it to me. It's really nice to order stuff in a pinch and know that I'll have it delivered in two days. Are the prices the best? Usually not, but I'm happy to pay a little extra to save me from having to do weeknight shopping runs.

The Prime content is getting better and better and I find it especially useful if you have small kids. There's an endless selection of toddler friendly programs.

zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

I use the free shipping like mad, but it's all the little perks that keep me in. Everyone's use case will be different. For instance, I'll guess you probably don't preorder as many video games as I do. Each time I do, my Prime membership gives me ~$13 off. I used to use the Kindle lending library a lot, but now I have more books than I can read.

Anyway, the moral is that no one can tell you if it is worth it because there are so many benefits here and there and some will apply to you and others will not. Use cases vary.

SoCalBogle

Post by SoCalBogle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Having read through the thread, I'm really curious about a number of people claiming that there's better value elsewhere. Or even, the regular locations, which I assume means brick and mortar.

I know people buy different things and agree Amazon is flat out a bad place to buy some things, particularly bulky (diapers) or heavy in my experience.

But I'd curious where are they shopping and what are they buying that other outlets consistently offer better pricing (including shipping) than Amazon?

I get that sites like Jet can be cheaper, but in my experience have been like hitting an outlet where availability is hit and miss.

So I'm really curious, what's being bought and from where?

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 pm

For a long time I considered Amazon Prime to be "a tax on the impatient". And really, if you're just in it for the faster free shipping, it still is.

But I gave it a trial run during the holidays last year and found that I liked it a lot. I cancelled the trial before they started charging, but wound up signing up for real a few months later.

Why?

For one, the prime video options are quite good. Some great originals (Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle), plus some movies and shows that Netflix doesn't have. I wound up getting the Firestick, which makes watching the streaming much easier than when I used a Chromecast (even for Netflix, which you can watch though the Firestick too). I'd say that's all worth at least five bucks a month to me.

The free books and music are nice too, although I've only taken advantage of it now and then. Let's call that another buck a month in value.

The free two-day shipping? A guilty pleasure. Honestly, I got along just fine by waiting until I had enough to buy to qualify for the free super-saver shipping... which often quite fast anyway. It is a nice perq, but not something I'd pay a lot for on its own. Maybe two bucks?

So that brings me to $8.00 a month in value. Slightly less than the actual cost of $8.25 a month.

The deal-maker? I wound up joining Prime right after I signed up for the Amazon Prime rewards card. I use that card for all Amazon purchases (5% points) plus gas, drugstores, and restaurants (2%). (Also includes rental car insurance and no foreign transaction fees!)

By my calculations, the cash back (above why my other card was giving me) will pay for a good chunk of the Prime membership fee, making the effective cost quite low. Certainly well within "I'm getting value for this" range.
Stay on target...

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:58 pm

I recently noticed that some paper goods were much cheaper from Target than from Amazon, and they gave free delivery. I'm not sure if that was because I am less than a mile from the nearest Target store and it was a local delivery, or if the free delivery is more widely available.

Ralph

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm

SoCalBogle wrote:Having read through the thread, I'm really curious about a number of people claiming that there's better value elsewhere. Or even, the regular locations, which I assume means brick and mortar.

I know people buy different things and agree Amazon is flat out a bad place to buy some things, particularly bulky (diapers) or heavy in my experience.

But I'd curious where are they shopping and what are they buying that other outlets consistently offer better pricing (including shipping) than Amazon?

I get that sites like Jet can be cheaper, but in my experience have been like hitting an outlet where availability is hit and miss.

I'd say that if you go to a random supermarket, and pick a random item off the shelf, it will almost certainly be cheaper than Amazon. Since I have to go to the supermarket anyway (e.g. to get perishable food items) then while I'm there I can easily get non-food items, e.g. a toothbrush. Buying such items at Amazon is just plain nuts. The local supermarket is easy, convenient, fast and cheap. Amazon is expensive, slow, unreliable, and a hassle to deal with.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:03 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:... I'd say that if you go to a random supermarket, and pick a random item off the shelf, it will almost certainly be cheaper than Amazon. Since I have to go to the supermarket anyway (e.g. to get perishable food items) then while I'm there I can easily get non-food items, e.g. a toothbrush. Buying such items at Amazon is just plain nuts. The local supermarket is easy, convenient, fast and cheap. Amazon is expensive, slow, unreliable, and a hassle to deal with.
Yes, but then you couldn't have all those cute Amazon Dash Buttons all over your house.

https://goo.gl/3fjsJn

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:I'd say that if you go to a random supermarket, and pick a random item off the shelf, it will almost certainly be cheaper than Amazon. Since I have to go to the supermarket anyway (e.g. to get perishable food items) then while I'm there I can easily get non-food items, e.g. a toothbrush. Buying such items at Amazon is just plain nuts. The local supermarket is easy, convenient, fast and cheap. Amazon is expensive, slow, unreliable, and a hassle to deal with.
I think there is some truth to what you're saying. Merchandise that is readily available in every supermarket and retailer isn't what I'm buying on Amazon for the most part. I've looked through my Amazon order list for the last few years and I've noticed much of the stuff I bought either isn't available at my local stores or Amazon offers a better price. For instance, I like to use a trackball mouse rather then the standard mouse. Local stores only sell one trackball mouse and it's usually about $10 more expensive then the various trackball mice that Amazon sells. In addition, I find buying batteries and toilet paper in bulk tend to get me a better deal then what local retailers are charging. When it comes to books, the only places that offers a lower price then Amazon are the thrift shops. (Unless you want to count the public library).

Ultimately my point is that Amazon wins in some areas and loses in others.
spammagnet wrote:Yes, but then you couldn't have all those cute Amazon Dash Buttons all over your house.

https://goo.gl/3fjsJn
What happens if some young kids thinks your Amazon Dash Buttons are a toy and they end up pushing the buttons on all of them at least one? Is your house going to get flooded with boxes of garbage bags, laundry detergent and diapers? :P

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:50 am

JupiterJones wrote:
For one, the prime video options are quite good. Some great originals (Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle), plus some movies and shows that Netflix doesn't have. I wound up getting the Firestick, which makes watching the streaming much easier than when I used a Chromecast (even for Netflix, which you can watch though the Firestick too). I'd say that's all worth at least five bucks a month to me.

The free books and music are nice too, although I've only taken advantage of it now and then. Let's call that another buck a month in value.
Their video interface used to be horrible but since they've made improvements I really love it. You can watch the trailer for the movie (you can't on nextflix) and you can scroll down after selecting the movie and see other movies by the director and all the actors in the movie. I'm a big fan.

I also use the music a LOT. Free downloads to your phone for Prime music plus I stream on Alexa pretty much daily. I love the music app for the phone.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

retiredjg wrote:I think it is worth it for me. I live in a rural area and shopping is limited. If I need a $5 or $10 or even $20 item, I'm not going to drive 25 miles or so to the nearest big box to get it. Amazon prices are good, not great. Delivery is great, not instant.

Amazon prime works well for me and saves me a lot of time that I'd rather spend doing other things. Especially driving around doing comparison shopping....drives me nuts.
Agreed. We also live in a rural area, and we're constantly buying things like printer cartridges, stuff for the dog, even shoes and other things on Amazon. Paying the $99 a year saves us at least that much in gas. (We live 90 miles from the nearest box stores.) If you can simply go to the store, it might not be worth it for you.

In terms of the available video content, I've found more content available through the apps (History Channel, ESPN, etc.). However, those do require a cable login, so it's not like that would help you cut the cord. I've been lucky in that a lot of the movies and TV shows I like are on there...if that's not true for you, then no, it sounds like Amazon Prime is not worth your money. :)
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Various estimates are that just under half to well over half of American households think Amazon Prime is worth it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=percent ... azon+prime

The percentage is much higher for high-income households vs. low-income households. Amazon is addressing that by offering low-income households a discounted rate on Prime just as they do to students and some others.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/06/amazo ... ssistance/

Pretty amazing stuff that few could have imagined just twenty years ago.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

flamesabers wrote: Merchandise that is readily available in every supermarket and retailer isn't what I'm buying on Amazon for the most part. I've looked through my Amazon order list for the last few years and I've noticed much of the stuff I bought either isn't available at my local stores or Amazon offers a better price. For instance, I like to use a trackball mouse rather then the standard mouse. Local stores only sell one trackball mouse and it's usually about $10 more expensive then the various trackball mice that Amazon sells.
I also tend to use Amazon prime for occasions when I need something very specific or for which I don't readily have a local supply point--to pull up the item in a search box online, click through and have it on my front porch in 48 hours is more than worth the cost of prime annually for me.

It's the convenience factor; then too I've not yet found items to be exorbitantly more expensive on Amazon than what I can source via bricks n mortar. Even if items cost a little more, it is a huge boon NOT having to get in my car and fight hellish traffic to go searching out retail places with hellish service while enduring hellish crowds particularly since I live in Miami, where everything is as they say here a mission.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 am

It sounds interesting and like something I might like. But net net I don't think I could save money with it. I think I could save on the things I would buy, but that without prime I would not buy them at all. I wouldn't count things like streaming as a savings because I don't stream now.

I have a strong preference for pay as you go (or against pre-paying if you will). I think I will file the idea in my wish list, with so many other ideas that sound good on paper, but never really get tried out because of the cost. I tend to watch the outflow pretty carefully. I don't think I have the characteristics of what Amazon would call a good customer.

Once my ship comes in though, I will probably try this out.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

Balance

Post by Balance » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

If you are a Whole Foods shopper, like we are, there will be some significant benefits for Prime members. Looks like this coming Monday Whole Foods will be lowering prices to capture more shoppers. Prime members will be able to get two-hour shipping from Whole Foods in select locations with additional deals that only members receive. Whole Foods will also be using Amazon/Prime lockers in which you can pick up or return packages. Pretty interesting and worth a second look especially if you shop at Whole Foods. Link below.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 602204001/

pqwerty

Post by pqwerty » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 pm

My prime is shared with two other accounts, something I think they stopped a few years back. So they get free two day shipping on their account without having to log into my account at no extra cost. They can't use video though...

My bonuses at work come in the form of gift cards, which I always request Amazon. This can be a couple thousand dollars a year. Do for me it is worth it.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm
SoCalBogle wrote:Having read through the thread, I'm really curious about a number of people claiming that there's better value elsewhere. Or even, the regular locations, which I assume means brick and mortar.

I'd say that if you go to a random supermarket, and pick a random item off the shelf, it will almost certainly be cheaper than Amazon. Since I have to go to the supermarket anyway (e.g. to get perishable food items) then while I'm there I can easily get non-food items, e.g. a toothbrush. Buying such items at Amazon is just plain nuts. The local supermarket is easy, convenient, fast and cheap. Amazon is expensive, slow, unreliable, and a hassle to deal with.
Your post makes a lot of sense. Sooner or later you are going to end up in a store anyways. If you go a market to buy meat or produce why not pick up paper towels, toilet paper etc for much 25% less than Amazon. I believe the use of Amazon prime is more about the thrill of receiving packages vs saving money. I just signed up for a year and not sure about it. If you live 100 miles away from Wal Mart or Costco it might be a feasible option.

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

Okay I know this is a much debated topic, but I swear it is WORTH it.
I live in a city and sometimes a quick trip to a store is a huge hassle. For example, I couldn't find my tape measure anywhere and needed it for a project. I quickly threw it in my Prime Cart and it magically shows up at my doorstep within two days. If I didn't have that service, I would have to get an uber and find the nearest store that hopefully carries one. In Chicago, this means you might have a 15 plus minute Uber trip both ways - that's a huge inconvenience.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm
The local supermarket is easy, convenient, fast and cheap.
As of today, the local supermarket IS Amazon, at least if the local supermarket is a Whole Foods Market. It is certainly not easy, convenient, fast, or cheap to shop there currently, although all of those factors should change for the better. Many prices were lowered overnight.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:00 am

bmelissa545 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am
I quickly threw it in my Prime Cart and it magically shows up at my doorstep within two days. If I didn't have that service, I would have to get an uber and find the nearest store that hopefully carries one.
Or, without Prime, I suppose you could've quickly thrown it in your cart, paid for shipping, and still have had it magically show up at your doorstep in two days.

In which case the worth of a Prime membership hinges on how often you'd expect to semi-urgently need something during the course of a year.
Stay on target...

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 am

Over the last 10 months I have about $95 on 5% cash back savings alone. It paid for itself right there.

Again, always amazed by those who seem to think the value of their brick and mortar shopping time is zero and travel to and from said store incurs zero cost.

drg02b

Post by drg02b » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:29 am

I was a long time Prime customer until two months ago. No major problem, just analyzed my numbers. About $1,500 in annual expenses didn't justify the added bonus from 3 to 5% cash back. I occasionally used streaming, but it was rare that I really needed something within 2-3 days. It's not too hard to be patient with things I need until I meet the free shipping minimum, and my last order arrived in 3 days anyway. Not having Prime though, I see how obnoxious Amazon is in pushing Prime down my throat (splash screens on the app, two shipping options -- one that says Prime, another that just says 2-day free shipping that when you select, shows you a Prime enrollment screen). Kind of deceptive and annoying.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Aditi: I have checked and confirmed that, we have been charging you for $13.77 for Prime Paid Monthly.

That works out to 165.24 a year!
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 pm

What amazes me about the whole situation is that I've been a customer since 2003, and I was told they couldn't do anything about it.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm
Hockey10 wrote:Time is money.
This nails it. Amazon is such a huge waste of time (and money). And it's very inconvenient. And the 3rd party sellers are nasty. And customer service is non-existent. Fake quality, fake quantity (just like Wholefoods). Etc. Paying a membership fee is beyond ludicrous.
Actually, I've found just the opposite. I have never had a problem with service. If you have an issue with a purchase, click return. They pay for postage and I receive credit as soon as they receive the noticed I turned it over to the shipper.

One big bonus are the reviews of the products and 3rd party sellers. If you have an issue with those sellers, contact Amazon.

Bosch +1
Goliath +1

Samtex

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 am

I don't have it because shopping at amazon is my last choice.

Their business practices are predatory.
https://www.thestreet.com/opinion/amazo ... s-14571703
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-amazon ... 1529509628

But if you don't care about that, then amazon prime had better be worth it or they are doing something really wrong.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:37 am

keystone wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am
It's worth it to me. It's really nice to order stuff in a pinch and know that I'll have it delivered in two days. Are the prices the best? Usually not, but I'm happy to pay a little extra to save me from having to do weeknight shopping runs.

The Prime content is getting better and better and I find it especially useful if you have small kids. There's an endless selection of toddler friendly programs.
This is a good post. Amazon is worth it if you want convenience if you hate going on shopping runs. Not for the lowest prices anymore.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:56 am

If you're strictly a price shopper on household staples, you're probably better off at Walmart's free 2-day shipping on those or Target maybe.
If you are a picky shopper, the Amazon product selection can't be beat.
If you're time-sensitive (convenience shopper), then it's a nice luxury to get things shipped in 2 days and not have to shop around the internet (again, Walmart has 2-day shipping but doesn't have same selection so it saves you comparison-shopping time).

I don't think the other perks- streaming video, music, kindle unlimited or photo storage are best of breed and I pay for other ones that are. But if you're price-sensitive, they could do the job. I wish they just had a lower Prime fee for those who would want to opt out of these- I'd much rather pay $60/yr for express shipping than $120/yr for ship + video/music services I don't use or want. All Prime members are subsidizing Amazon's expensive video ambitions for the minority that do and probably are the #1 reason Prime fee went from $100 to $120/yr.

What gets me is that most of my groceries bills are from Whole Foods, so between my Amazon purchases and now Whole foods, I get the 5% back from Chase Amazon + extra whole foods discount on sale items. I think of the annual Prime fee as a replacement for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred annual fee that gave 6% on groceries back up to a limit, which I don't need anymore and so can downgrade to the non-preferred version.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:44 am

Remember that the Barclays Uber Visa card gives a $50/year statement credit toward online subscriptions, which includes Amazon Prime subscriptions. So if you team up the $50 credit and the 5% Amazon store card discount, Prime can be a good deal, especially if you use their streaming video. Most of our streaming video is for the children so we keep Prime video and only have Netflix a few months out of the year for us.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am

We do the large majority of our shopping on Amazon and at a very nearby Costco. That combination is incredibly convenient and the pricing is very good. Maybe by driving all around in a congested large city of 3 million people and ordering from 30 different no-name e-tailers would save us a few more bucks, but my time is worth far more than that.

Both my adult kids also get the free 2-day shipping benefit on their own accounts via my Prime membership.
Not sure if that deal is still offered but it's still in place on my account.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 pm

I would NOT be without it. IMHO, one of the best deals in existence

cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Just give into Amazon, the majority of Americans already have. Amazon prime membership is an awesome value for what you get; I probably order something from them every week. In short just do it!!!

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes. Ymmv