Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chadnudj

Re: Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Post by Chadnudj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:07 am

Personally, I love it. The Amazon Prime video collection isn't perfect, but there's plenty of good content/movies (Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea, for instance, are Oscar nominated/winning movies currently on Prime), particularly in terms of kids shows (Daniel Tiger, for instance, is on Prime). The Amazon Music streaming stations are excellent -- nearly as good as Spotify and better than Pandora since you don't have commercials. You get unlimited photo backup storage as part of Prime, and certain books you can check out for free with the Prime Lending Library. And the free shipping comes in handy for ordering gifts for family/friends for birthdays/holidays/weddings/baby showers, etc.....and Amazon's customer support, in my opinion, is pretty excellent.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 am

I wouldn't sign up for it because Amazon takes weeks to get non-Prime purchases to me. It's done to hassle people into paying for Prime, I think.

Now I always look first on Jet or other sites. Usually Jet ships free and like the wind; items are on the doorstep a couple of days later. Prices are comparable, plus or minus. I also buy from other sites. I do sometimes buy stuff not available elsewhere from amazon, but I let it accumulate until it reaches free shipping.

I looked at the kindle books Prime makes available free, but the ones I saw were not ones I wanted.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:
SrGrumpy wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
Hockey10 wrote:Time is money.
This nails it. Amazon is such a huge waste of time (and money). And it's very inconvenient. And the 3rd party sellers are nasty. And customer service is non-existent. Fake quality, fake quantity (just like Wholefoods). Etc. Paying a membership fee is beyond ludicrous.
Nice one. You take @Hockey10's pro-Amazon quote completely out of context so that you can make absurd claims. "Amazon is ... very inconvenient." Now I've heard it all.
Are you seriously suggesting Amazon is convenient?! That's absolutely crazy!
Yes. Amazon Prime is extremely convenient.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 am

munemaker wrote:It is kind of like shopping at a Warehouse Club, but online. They have a huge selection. Prices are good but not great.
Why would you compare Amazon to a warehouse club? At a warehouse club, you have limited selection of items sold in bulk. The enticement is the prices are better than buying normal quantities. At Amazon, you have a huge selection of items sold in regular quantities, but prices are similar or even higher than a regular store.

To me, shopping at Amazon is nothing like shopping at a warehouse club. Very different selection, quantity, and style of buying.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 am

OP,

I think as with other memberships and credit cards with annual fees, it's only worth it if you're going to use it a lot. I don't think it's prices anymore that makes Amazon competitive to brick and mortar stores, but rather a wider selection of products. Another benefit with Amazon Prime is being able to get 5% store credit on purchases with the Amazon store card. The store credit is applied automatically at the end of every billing cycle.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 am

flamesabers wrote:OP,

I think as with other memberships and credit cards with annual fees, it's only worth it if you're going to use it a lot. I don't think it's prices anymore that makes Amazon competitive to brick and mortar stores, but rather a wider selection of products. Another benefit with Amazon Prime is being able to get 5% store credit on purchases with the Amazon store card. The store credit is applied automatically at the end of every billing cycle.

Exactly right.
We place literally hundred of orders each year from Amazon, and get 5% back on everything.
Even groceries (which are generally the same price or a bit cheaper than our local Shoprite.)

My wife buys pretty much everything she needs. If she receives something that she doesn't like, she gets refunded and they pick it back up (or just tell her to dispose of it), no questions asked.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 am

The Amazon Prime credit card is very useful, and makes Amazon cost effective.

I can't speak to the Amazon Video movies, since we prefer watching series. Some Amazon video that we have enjoyed include:
Sneaky Pete
Good Girls Revolt (much better than the title would suggest, unfortunately not renewed)
Mad Dogs
Patriot
Bosch
Catastrophe
Man in the High Castle

Disclosure: we order a lot from Amazon. I might feel differently if we didn't, but it's a slam dunk for us.

user76586

Post by user76586 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am

I've found that when it works, it's a fair trade for price vs convenience but increasingly it doesn't work. I've constantly gotten wrong items, knockoff items, items significantly not as described (example: order 3 foot HDMI cables and get 18 inch), and late shipping. One big problem they have is that all inventory is pooled. So even if you choose seller A over seller B, if seller B's stuff is closer to you, you'll end up getting seller B's stuff.

Most of the time, I get the "it's not our fault because 3rd party" line even when I deliberately selected an item listed as directly from Amazon (there are both truly independent sellers identified as such and contractors that Amazon lets use its name in certain categories). Even though they do refund/provide some sort of credit within 1-3 emails, it really cuts out the convenience and benefit of one stop shopping.

goingup

Post by goingup » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:06 am

It's worth it. Convenient, fast. Two clicks and the order is on it's way. Sometimes arrives same day. That's amazing.

Amazon video has several original series (as listed by TT) that are very well done.

Love Amazon and Amazon Prime. I don't enjoy shopping much and the whole experience on Amazon is nearly painless.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 am

For our household, Amazon Prime is clearly worth the $99, but I can see how it might not be for everyone. In terms of the lesser benefits, Prime Photos has been a useful feature for us. This unlimited photos offering has gotten better, and the automatic uploads from our phones has been pretty reliable and seamless. We have not had to upgrade our Apple iCloud (roughly $12 a year) largely as a result of having Prime Photos.

We continue to subscribe to Netflix, but we have really liked a couple of the Amazon original shows, like Man in the High Castle and Sneaky Pete. At the end of the day, though, the value proposition mostly comes down to the shipping benefits, and the value will vary for different people. We use it extensively, and so the benefits are of great value to us. It probably costs $2 in gas for a single trip to our local shopping area. Sometimes, we don't really need the item(s) quickly, and we will take Amazon's offer of a coupon in return for the slower shipping.

Totally agree on the ecosystem thought. And I'm sure that's Amazon's thought, too. :wink:
petiejoe wrote:It really depends on how much you use the Amazon eco-system. There are a number of programs which may be worth the annual fee on their own if you actually use them:
* Instant Video - almost comparable to Netflix's streaming selection (Netflix has an edge on production quality of self-made content). For either service you have to start with their selection and decide what's worth watching rather than think of a movie and check if it's available.
* Shipping - free fast shipping is obviously only valuable if you shop a lot on Amazon anyway. There are also other advantages besides the free two-day shipping (like access to Prime Pantry, AmazonFresh, and PrimeNow), but that still starts with the assumption that you shop on Amazon to begin with.
* Prime Reading - again, you have to start with their selection and see if there's anything you're interested in. This is also really only valid if you use a Kindle (or really like reading books on your phone).
* Prime Music - you have a bit more control over what you want to listen to than, say, Pandora, but it's still a fairly limited subset of music you might like. No ads, though, which can be a pretty big plus.

For me, I would probably be willing to pay the annual fee for either Instant Video or Shipping alone, and I use the others as a free add-on.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 am

I use the unlimited photo storage.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 am

user76586 wrote:I've found that when it works, it's a fair trade for price vs convenience but increasingly it doesn't work. I've constantly gotten wrong items, knockoff items, items significantly not as described (example: order 3 foot HDMI cables and get 18 inch), and late shipping. One big problem they have is that all inventory is pooled. So even if you choose seller A over seller B, if seller B's stuff is closer to you, you'll end up getting seller B's stuff.

Most of the time, I get the "it's not our fault because 3rd party" line even when I deliberately selected an item listed as directly from Amazon (there are both truly independent sellers identified as such and contractors that Amazon lets use its name in certain categories). Even though they do refund/provide some sort of credit within 1-3 emails, it really cuts out the convenience and benefit of one stop shopping.
Man, you're unlucky. I order > 200 items per year from Amazon, and have had only a handful of issues. Maybe you're due for a lottery win :)

user76586

Post by user76586 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:01 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
user76586 wrote:I've found that when it works, it's a fair trade for price vs convenience but increasingly it doesn't work. I've constantly gotten wrong items, knockoff items, items significantly not as described (example: order 3 foot HDMI cables and get 18 inch), and late shipping. One big problem they have is that all inventory is pooled. So even if you choose seller A over seller B, if seller B's stuff is closer to you, you'll end up getting seller B's stuff.

Man, you're unlucky. I order > 200 items per year from Amazon, and have had only a handful of issues. Maybe you're due for a lottery win :)
Depends on what you're buying. The categories where you're buying major brands directly from Amazon are fine. But that seems to be where you get the worst prices, and I'd rather just stop at Walmart, so my purchases skew towards more 3rd party involvement.

doingwell

Post by doingwell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I agree with many other responses–the worth is household dependent. With my siblings, nieces, and nephews halfway across the country, the free shipping is valuable. Beyond that, I use Prime Vidoe with frequency, particularly the back catalogue of HBO shows (the Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, etc.), and Prime Music when I exercise.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:The Amazon Prime credit card is very useful, and makes Amazon cost effective.

I can't speak to the Amazon Video movies, since we prefer watching series. Some Amazon video that we have enjoyed include:
Sneaky Pete
Good Girls Revolt (much better than the title would suggest, unfortunately not renewed)
Mad Dogs
Patriot
Bosch
Catastrophe
Man in the High Castle

Disclosure: we order a lot from Amazon. I might feel differently if we didn't, but it's a slam dunk for us.

Bosch was the best! If you haven't watch "The Americans" on Prime, do so. TV doesn't get any better than that.
Love my free Kindle books each month, too.

LynnC

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

user76586 wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:

Depends on what you're buying. The categories where you're buying major brands directly from Amazon are fine. But that seems to be where you get the worst prices, and I'd rather just stop at Walmart, so my purchases skew towards more 3rd party involvement.
I'd rather shop at a flea market in a trailer park in a third world country, than to deal with Amazon 3rd party sellers. It's absolutely horrible, and Amazon will leave you in the lurch.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 pm

LynnC wrote:Bosch was the best! If you haven't watch "The Americans" on Prime, do so. TV doesn't get any better than that.
Love my free Kindle books each month, too.
LynnC
I think I only included Amazon Original programming, but I love "The Americans," "Fargo," Better Call Saul," etc. I just can't wait to watch a full season, so they are on my DVR for weekly viewing.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:I'd rather shop at a flea market in a trailer park in a third world country, than to deal with Amazon 3rd party sellers. It's absolutely horrible, and Amazon will leave you in the lurch.
Why don't you like buying from 3rd party sellers? The other current Amazon thread has a lot of complaints about counterfeit merchandise. I posted this on that thread and didn't get too many answers:
Clueless guy here. What types of products are susceptible to being replaced with knockoffs, and how do you know you've gotten one?
Are there other reasons?

Thanks

Galaxy8

Post by Galaxy8 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:05 pm

My family buys most of our consumer goods online, and last year we spent a bit under $3k on Amazon. We like prime because of quick, free shipping and prime video. We both work 6 to 7 days per week at the moment, so it's nice to be able to order something and have it delivered in the next 1-2 days, rather than shopping during the 1-2 hours we have after getting off from work and needing to go to bed. Also remember that you can share your account with up to 5 family members, so they can enjoy it as well.

Galaxy8

Post by Galaxy8 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 pm

mega317 wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:I'd rather shop at a flea market in a trailer park in a third world country, than to deal with Amazon 3rd party sellers. It's absolutely horrible, and Amazon will leave you in the lurch.
Why don't you like buying from 3rd party sellers? The other current Amazon thread has a lot of complaints about counterfeit merchandise.
I've never had this problem with amazon. I've bought a few cheap things that shipped strait from China that weren't what the description said, and Amazon had my money refunded within days.

upsmike

Post by upsmike » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Sometimes going to the store, people buy things that they really don't need because it's a good deal. How many times do we go to stores to buy only a few things and walk out with much more? In some ways ordering through prime might even save you money if you are that type of shopper.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm

SleepCity wrote:
Plus, I tend to order random stuff that Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes might not necessarily stock, or said stores charge too much.
+1

I've bought many things at Amazon which were not for sale in the city where I live, which kept stuff alive--much better for the environment.

On a thread about bicycling, several folks have recommended the Mirrycycle rear view mirror. When mine was broken in an accidewnt, I bought a replacement of the actual mirror only from Amazon for less than $5. We've bought a new fan for the range hood, various pieces of plumbing equipment, that made a repair possible.

Without that access, we would have to buy new.

I guess I am geeky, but I think the video selection of stuff at Amazon is more than I would ever have time to watch. Mercy Street, the Hunger Games movies, the Lewis mysteries, the Expanse.

I've also used the Kindle stuff and photo storage.

Their shipping overseas for gifts to family members is also utterly painless--not fast, but they handle all the customs paperwork for me--a huge time savings at no extra charge.

It's a personal choice, and I wonder how much I would be willing to pay for each of those services if they were offered separately,but I consider it a great value for our particular family.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:36 pm

upsmike wrote:Sometimes going to the store, people buy things that they really don't need because it's a good deal. How many times do we go to stores to buy only a few things and walk out with much more? In some ways ordering through prime might even save you money if you are that type of shopper.
Or, the exact opposite could happen. In the store, stuff is right in front of people so they just select what they need, whereas online, it's more detached, and they end up getting more stuff they don't need or want.

kellyfj

Post by kellyfj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I'll concur with others - it's worth it if your time is valuable enough to you - I just love the fast and free shipping and another bonus is the Video selection which is pretty good and a nice adjunct to Netflix.

I've been an Amazon customer since 1996 and now do about 100 separate orders a year including subscribe & save.

But if you really enjoy spending hours trying to save a few bucks and enjoy spending your time en route to Walmart / Costco etc. and back then go right ahead and skip Amazon prime.

My time is too valuable to shop around - although I check slickdeals.net and edealinfo.com daily.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 am

It's been worth it to us. Free 2 day shipping, music, video, cloud storage etc have been great. Be forewarned though, you will probably spend more if you become a prime member. Then again, Amazon knows that :)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 am

I enjoy having Amazon Prime and know I am getting my money's worth through a combination of Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime lending library, free shipping and reading the reviews of products. Heck, for $99 I have enjoyed enough with Prime video alone to make it worth it. Even just watching four shows a month would be less than renting shows or going to the movies.

We have cut the cord long ago and instead have rabbit ears, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Roku. Way too many choices to watch at most two hours a day. Very nice to have a choice though and sometimes I like Amazon's shows better than Netflix.

During Prime Day I purchased a second Echo Dot and also a Fire HD 8 tablet. The latter cost $43 and since my iPad Air is getting old I thought it would be a very cheap way to try this out instead of buying a new iPad. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised and as of now am planning on using it instead of another iPad.

I love the integration of Amazon's Alexa with both the Echo Dot and the Fire tablet. I have used Cortana, Siri and Google but Alexa is now connected to our home using WiFi speakers and using oral commands to sets alarms, timers, gives weather reports, plays Prime Music and my music library, podcasts, audible books, tells jokes and answers questions. I can set events via Alexa and they show up on my calendar, set reminders and ask for my schedule.

Well, a lot you could do without Amazon Prime but it does add a lot of extra.

BTW, I would not give up my Costco account or going to Walmart. There are many times I would rather see and touch something before I buy. With the easy returns at both Costco and Walmart I would choose this also on some products. I have also chosen many times to purchase at Walmart due to the significant price differential.

I hope I have added something to what you might be missing but in the end it's what you prefer.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 am

cutterinnj wrote:
flamesabers wrote:OP,

Exactly right.
We place literally hundred of orders each year from Amazon, and get 5% back on everything.
Even groceries (which are generally the same price or a bit cheaper than our local Shoprite.)

My wife buys pretty much everything she needs. If she receives something that she doesn't like, she gets refunded and they pick it back up (or just tell her to dispose of it), no questions asked.
For those who want to ensure they're getting a deal on the 5% store card by paying the Prime fee, Amazon does keep track of your YTD store credit. (It's prominently displayed every time I log in my Amazon store card account).

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:45 am

It's worth it just for diapers.

Like Costco, if you price shop then Amazon will have things regularly that are cheaper than Target or Walmart and in aggregate the $99 pays for itself (like the Costco $55 membership). But you can't just willy-nilly buy it all from Amazon - some things are definitely over priced.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 am

new2bogle wrote:It's worth it just for diapers.

Like Costco, if you price shop then Amazon will have things regularly that are cheaper than Target or Walmart and in aggregate the $99 pays for itself (like the Costco $55 membership). But you can't just willy-nilly buy it all from Amazon - some things are definitely over priced.
Is Amazon Mom still a thing? I never used it, but back when I first signed up for Amazon Prime as a student it was available. I don't remember the details of the program, but basically it allowed parents to buy Prime at a discount to purchase diapers and other baby-related products.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

flamesabers wrote:
new2bogle wrote:It's worth it just for diapers.

Is Amazon Mom still a thing? I never used it, but back when I first signed up for Amazon Prime as a student it was available. I don't remember the details of the program, but basically it allowed parents to buy Prime at a discount to purchase diapers and other baby-related products.
I'm not sure, I just look at the end price. Last time I bought diapers (2-3 weeks ago) the pampers sz 4 came out to 18 cents per diaper. Haven't been able to beat that at Target/Walmart/Costco (yet) for pampers, which we prefer. Diapers get a "Subscribe and Save" discount.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 am

I'm 7 months in to a year-long experiment after dropping our long-held Prime membership.

I knew I wouldn't miss Prime Video (we have Netflix) or Kindle Unlimited, but was concerned about added shipping costs. This year, after 14 purchases, we've paid $12.38 for shipping - a savings of $86.62.

My study results thus far - the cost of Prime is not worth it for us.

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 am

It depends. Like others have mentioned, if you don't buy frequently enough for the free shipping to break even or nearly so, then I am not sure the additional features will have enough value to justify the cost.

We have recently begun using it for video services. The Man in the High Castle, for example, is one of many excellent Amazon produced shows. I travel a lot so I downloaded the Amazon Video app and before I fly, I download a few episodes of my favorite shows or a movie and am entertained for a few hours for free. We also have the firestick for home viewing on our tv (that was an additional cost).

We also have recently begun using it for music. It's very Pandora-esque without the annoying commercials. No need for us to upgrade Pandora now.

If you read a lot, being a Prime member gets you some additional benefits for Kindle purchases--reduced pricing on certain books, etc. I find this incredibly hard to figure out/navigate; however and am confident there are things I am not taking advantage of properly as a result.

All that said, I do not care for shopping on Amazon that much. I do, because it is so convenient, but I really hate the "experience" of their site.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am

10YearPlan wrote:... it is so convenient, but I really hate the "experience" of their site.
Agreed wholeheartedly! The site is mess - assuming on purpose to keep you there longer to make additional purchases.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Chadnudj wrote:Personally, I love it. ...The Amazon Music streaming stations are excellent -- nearly as good as Spotify and better than Pandora since you don't have commercials.
Thanks for mentioning Amazon Music--I didn't know about it. It's maybe a little complicated to download the program (I managed it without much difficulty, really), but I've got it up and running and I'm impressed with the offerings, particularly the wide variety of jazz programming. And ad-free!

We've had Prime for years and love the ease of purchases and particularly the ease of returns (I'm a guy; I hate to return things to stores). But adding the music is an added benefit, making it even more worth it.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Personally I think it's a great value for the money.

I use the video streaming a lot. They changed up their interface and it is a lot easier to use now. You can make it so it doesn't show you non-Prime videos (that used to drive me nuts). I used to hate the setup but it's much improved.

I use their music service a LOT. I have downloaded a lot of songs to my iPhone (included with the service) and stream very often through my Echo. There are plenty of channels or artists to choose from.

I haven't used there free book a month that is included with the membership in a long time. I have in the past but the selection is limited and if there's something I want to read it's worth it for me to just buy it.

I've used the cloud service for pictures but not to any huge level like my friends with kids do.

The two day shipping is pretty nice too.

YMMV - I totally get why some people wouldn't want it.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:For my money, you're not missing anything, Amazon Prime isn't worth the expense and hassle.
I canceled my Prime membership two years ago. I don't find much value in their "free" digital offerings, they always seem to be C level products. I also dislike paying for shipping. At this point I feel that shipping should be included; it is when I go to a brick & mortar store.

I was trying to remember what item I saw last week, I think it had to do with tile installation, but on Amazon it was listed as a Prime Only item for $9.99.

Then I found the same item for $9.99 available for immediate pick up at my local Home Depot, with the aisle and bay noted on the webpage. This is just one more straw degrading my trust in Amazon.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I like it because I can order any little thing and not worry about shipping costs or worrying about combining things into one order (or ordering more than I really need) to avoid shipping charges. I actually don't know how they do it. I can get one battery shipped for free, sometimes same-day.
It's amazing.
And now they sometime offer a discount on some sort of future order (like from Prime Pantry) if you accept slower shipping vs 2-day, still all free.
To me, Prime is a no-brainer (and I don't even use the free media stuff).

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

ThatGuy wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:For my money, you're not missing anything, Amazon Prime isn't worth the expense and hassle.
I canceled my Prime membership two years ago. I don't find much value in their "free" digital offerings, they always seem to be C level products. I also dislike paying for shipping. At this point I feel that shipping should be included; it is when I go to a brick & mortar store.

I was trying to remember what item I saw last week, I think it had to do with tile installation, but on Amazon it was listed as a Prime Only item for $9.99.

Then I found the same item for $9.99 available for immediate pick up at my local Home Depot, with the aisle and bay noted on the webpage. This is just one more straw degrading my trust in Amazon.
Not really related to Prime, more related to Amazon generally... a couple of weeks ago I was shopping Amazon.com for a glucosamine supplement. I found a likely prospect under the "Nature Made" brand name, so I ordered a bottle. Turns out the product was filled through a third-party (American Fulfillment or some such), and to top it off, when the package arrived (several days after I ordered), the return address on the package didn't mention Amazon nor American Fulfillment -- it showed that the order was filled by Costco. Apparently the third-party that Amazon passed the order off to just placed a drop-ship order from Costco, for the very same item I could have gone to my nearby Costco and bought and saved shipping charges. Needless to say, I felt kinda stupid.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 pm

It's worth it for us. We live outside of a crowded city and prefer not to have to drive there for every little thing. I tend to add things to my cart here and there and when I need one of those items soon I'll place the order. We've been members of it since it started. I like their original content and music service also. The movies/tv shows are not really useful though since we have Hulu/Netflix/HBO Now.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

We cut the cord on cable and landline and use Amazon streaming almost every week so Prime is a good value just for the low cost entertainment content. I previously viewed free two day shipping as just gravy but given our new retirement location into a pretty small retail market it has become very valuable.

t60

Post by t60 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm a Prime member, but now that this thread is posted, I'm not really sure if I'm going to renew. Amazon has pretty fast shipping even without the 2 day Prime for me (typically 3-5 days). It sure as heck makes me buy more stuff from Amazon since I get it in two days, but most of the stuff I can get, can wait.

I don't think any of the perks aside from 2 day shipping / no minimums (aside from add-ons) are worth it. Most of it got cut in the past couple of years anyway..

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I have averaged about $5K in spending per year on Amazon over the last 3+ years. It's where I buy basically anything other than what I can find in the grocery store. I often check Jet and Google Shopping, but the selection is usually lacking or Amazon has the best price. The nearest Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, Target, etc are all 20+ minutes away even though I live in a pretty big city. Why would I waste an hour per trip when I can get everything done from home?

Considering that the Chase Amazon Rewards card and the Amazon.com Store Card both offer 5% off to Prime members, and the best alternative is 3% off for non-Prime members, the membership has approximately paid for itself in cash back alone. Couple that with the other benefits I take advantage of:

- free 2-day shipping
- the occasional AMEX offer giving discounts to Prime members (received $55 and 2K Membership Rewards points in the last month, approximately $75 value total)
- Amazon Video (movies, Catastrophe, Fleabag, other TV shows on my list to watch)
- convenience of having HBO through Amazon Channels (Amazon has the the best picture quality and has been reliable for me, counter to the problems often experienced on HBO GO)

...and Amazon Prime is a great value for me.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

t60 wrote:I don't think any of the perks aside from 2 day shipping / no minimums (aside from add-ons) are worth it. Most of it got cut in the past couple of years anyway..
What about the 5% Amazon store card? Assuming you spend enough to recoup your prime membership fee, that alone is worth it I think.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:03 pm

flamesabers wrote:
t60 wrote:I don't think any of the perks aside from 2 day shipping / no minimums (aside from add-ons) are worth it. Most of it got cut in the past couple of years anyway..
What about the 5% Amazon store card? Assuming you spend enough to recoup your prime membership fee, that alone is worth it I think.
You get 3% back without Prime, so it's only 2% difference, and would take $4,950/yr spending to break even.

t60

Post by t60 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:13 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
You get 3% back without Prime, so it's only 2% difference, and would take $4,950/yr spending to break even.
Yep..

If you spend a lot, sure. I have the 5% amazon card and spend about 4k/year with Amazon ($200 in rewards). You can get roughly 3% from other cards which would be $120 in rewards, so an $80 "benefit" for having to spend $99 on Prime.

I think a lot of people get into the habit of simply buying from Amazon because they expect the lowest price all the time, but I can tell there are certain categories where Amazon makes a killing. One example I noticed recently were Weber firestarter cubes. When I was looking for them a few weeks ago they were close to $10 (shipped/sold by Amazon). They are regularly $3.99 from Home Depot. Had I not double-checked the price I would have gotten fleeced.. (FTR, Amazon has them at the usual price now).

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 pm

How about this book on Amazon for $23,698,655.93 (plus $3.99 shipping).
http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
I wonder if Prime would give free (or expedited) shipping.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I use it the most for Xmas and birthdays. The site is so easy to send gifts it is almost dangerous.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:29 pm

It depends on how much you value your time. I can generally find an equivalent or better deal elsewhere with free shipping, or I can get the slow free shipping on Amazon when I spend $25+.

Do you need your orders quickly? Do you not want to search for stuff online? Do you want Amazon Prime video? Get Prime.

Do you want the best deal and don't mind looking for it? Do you not mind if it takes 5-6 days to get your order? Then it's not worth it.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I don't have any argument against the folks who value prime video and other services as part of prime. Personally I think they are not worth anything, but to each their own. What I take issue with is people saying they get value out of free shipping... how many sub $25 orders are you placing each year to make use of this free shipping? If it was marketed accurately - "Free shipping on orders under $25" I think fewer people would drink the koolaid. The rest of us get free shipping at amazon without paying an annual fee by simply waiting to order until our cart has $25 in it. Likewise Jet, Walmart, Target, etc all give free shipping. And if you are placing so many sub $25 orders, how is amazon actually saving you any time?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 pm

sharpjm wrote:I don't have any argument against the folks who value prime video and other services as part of prime. Personally I think they are not worth anything, but to each their own. What I take issue with is people saying they get value out of free shipping... how many sub $25 orders are you placing each year to make use of this free shipping? If it was marketed accurately - "Free shipping on orders under $25" I think fewer people would drink the koolaid. The rest of us get free shipping at amazon without paying an annual fee by simply waiting to order until our cart has $25 in it. Likewise Jet, Walmart, Target, etc all give free shipping. And if you are placing so many sub $25 orders, how is amazon actually saving you any time?
Free shipping for Prime members isn't the same as free shipping for non-Prime members. Outside of 3-party vendors, Prime members get 2-day shipping for free. Non-prime members can use the free super-savers shipping, which can take anywhere from 5-8 business days. Sometimes your order gets delivered sooner then that, other times it doesn't.