Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
4nwestsaylng

Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:32 pm

I can see that it is worth it if you order a lot of items; even one heavy item would pay for a year. But in my case, I was going to order a piece of exercise equipment over 100lb,so took the free 3 month Prime membership. Actually ended up buying the equipment from a competitor who matched Amazon and waived shipping charges.

So I looked at the TV/video options last night, though there would be a lot of free stuff.Every quality movie I was interested in had a
$3.99 rental fee. I can get that anywhere. The Amazon created content of shows was of no interest.

So apart from the free shipping, am I missing something here? I thought this would be a media treasure trove bargain and it just looks like more of the same. Wanted to cut the cable on TV but will have to wait I guess. I hate the monthly charges, we are in a poor reception pocket even for local stations so it is a problem.

oldcomputerguy

Re: Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 pm

For my money, you're not missing anything, Amazon Prime isn't worth the expense and hassle.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

billw

Post by billw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:46 pm

1+, equal or better value at other locations.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 pm

It is kind of like shopping at a Warehouse Club, but online. They have a huge selection. Prices are good but not great.

We share an account with several relatives' families which effectively reduces the cost by 2/3. You can still charge to your own credit card and have the items shipped to your house. You lose the privacy of your purchases if that is important to you. Not an issue with us.

An advantage of sharing the account is there is a larger library of Kindle books to share, if you are into reading.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Recently and helpful thread on this question

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=222576

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I think it's more likely to be worth it if you're regularly ordering small items from Amazon than trying to justify it with one large purchase.

Personally, I'd rather just let items accrue in my shopping cart until they hit the level where they actually ship free, rather than paying for shipping ahead of time. The 2 day shipping upgrade doesn't mean much to me because first of all, if I need something quickly, I usually buy it in store 2 days faster than Amazon can get it to me, and secondly, because they fail too frequently to actually deliver in 2 days to be able to count on it.

Aside from the video service, you also get on-demand music access, I think.

We only signed up for a second year because my wife was taking a college class and eligible for the student discount. I doubt we'll renew since we won't be eligible for the discount next time.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm

I think it is worth it for me. I live in a rural area and shopping is limited. If I need a $5 or $10 or even $20 item, I'm not going to drive 25 miles or so to the nearest big box to get it. Amazon prices are good, not great. Delivery is great, not instant.

Amazon prime works well for me and saves me a lot of time that I'd rather spend doing other things. Especially driving around doing comparison shopping....drives me nuts.

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:10 pm

It really depends on how much you use the Amazon eco-system. There are a number of programs which may be worth the annual fee on their own if you actually use them:
* Instant Video - almost comparable to Netflix's streaming selection (Netflix has an edge on production quality of self-made content). For either service you have to start with their selection and decide what's worth watching rather than think of a movie and check if it's available.
* Shipping - free fast shipping is obviously only valuable if you shop a lot on Amazon anyway. There are also other advantages besides the free two-day shipping (like access to Prime Pantry, AmazonFresh, and PrimeNow), but that still starts with the assumption that you shop on Amazon to begin with.
* Prime Reading - again, you have to start with their selection and see if there's anything you're interested in. This is also really only valid if you use a Kindle (or really like reading books on your phone).
* Prime Music - you have a bit more control over what you want to listen to than, say, Pandora, but it's still a fairly limited subset of music you might like. No ads, though, which can be a pretty big plus.

For me, I would probably be willing to pay the annual fee for either Instant Video or Shipping alone, and I use the others as a free add-on.

SleepCity

Post by SleepCity » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Factor in the price of your time and I think prime is a great value. No tax, no shipping fee and no loading the kids up in the car to spend an hour or more at walmart.

In two days the item is sitting on my doorstep and I never even left the couch to do it.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm

For me, it's worth it. Amazon has decent deals at times. It's not always the low-cost leader, but usually they have decent prices.

It really depends on how what you buy and how often you order. I buy tons of stuff under $15 from Amazon that are prime eligible. For me, it's way, way more inconvenient to wait to hit the $35 or $50 free shipping price point and then wait 5-7 days than to just pay the $100 fee and then order stuff as needed. The "add-on" items was a turn for the worst, but not a deal-breaker.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:15 pm

SleepCity wrote:Factor in the price of your time and I think prime is a great value. No tax, no shipping fee and no loading the kids up in the car to spend an hour or more at walmart.

In two days the item is sitting on my doorstep and I never even left the couch to do it.
I thought Amazon charged tax everywhere now (that has a sales tax). They didn't in our state early on. More convenient for them to charge the tax than having to keep track and file the use tax.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

SleepCity wrote:No tax, no shipping fee and no loading the kids up in the car to spend an hour or more at walmart.
They are charging tax sometimes.

But the idea of loading kids in the car to spend even a minute at Walmart would be enough to convince me that Prime is worth it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

SleepCity wrote:Factor in the price of your time and I think prime is a great value. No tax, no shipping fee and no loading the kids up in the car to spend an hour or more at walmart.

Plus, I tend to order random stuff that Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes might not necessarily stock, or said stores charge too much.

Like, one Toyota OEM oil filter will be like $8 to $12 at the dealership. But, 5 filters are like $30 at Amazon. So, I tend to buy stuff in bulk and keep a small reserve. Very, very convenient.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:19 pm

jebmke wrote: I thought Amazon charged tax everywhere now (that has a sales tax). They didn't in our state early on. More convenient for them to charge the tax than having to keep track and file the use tax.

LOL --- we're not supposed to go political on this board, but Amazon's argument about sales tax was always weak to me. We all know they were using the sales tax thing and spending tons on their general counsel so that they could maintain an artificial price edge. Then, I look what Bezos says in public about societal issues and just smh.

In terms of the use tax, again, not to go political, but I was amazed at how few people that have all sorts of opinions on taxes had no idea what a "use tax" was. :annoyed

Post by 123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm

retiredjg wrote:I think it is worth it for me. I live in a rural area and shopping is limited. If I need a $5 or $10 or even $20 item, I'm not going to drive 25 miles or so to the nearest big box to get it. Amazon prices are good, not great. Delivery is great, not instant.

Amazon prime works well for me and saves me a lot of time that I'd rather spend doing other things. Especially driving around doing comparison shopping....drives me nuts.
+1

We live in a major city and there are plenty of retailers which probably have everything we order from Amazon. But it's just a hassle to drive somewhere, fight traffic, find parking, and deal with retail store personnel. Our Amazon orders come in a day or two usually and we often direct them to a nearby Amazon locker when we know no one will be home to receive it. I've even noticed that ordering late evening/night usually gives us the best chance of finding an available Amazon locker, often with the order arriving there the next day. For us it works very well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:24 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
So I looked at the TV/video options last night, though there would be a lot of free stuff.Every quality movie I was interested in had a
$3.99 rental fee. I can get that anywhere. The Amazon created content of shows was of no interest.
Some of the Amazon-created content is excellent. We really like Bosch, a detective series set in Los Angeles, and Mozart in the Jungle, about an eccentric symphony conductor modeled after Gustavo Dudamel. I believe that they have a lot of the old HBO shows, like The Wire, The Sopranos, etc. Depends what interests you.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Helo80 wrote:In terms of the use tax, again, not to go political, but I was amazed at how few people that have all sorts of opinions on taxes had no idea what a "use tax" was.
More well known in smaller states that have adjacent states with no sales tax. When we lived in MA, it was not uncommon for people to be stopped driving back from NH with their trunks full of stuff. The news carried a storie about use tax audits from time to time. Not sure how they got around the search and seizure rules - I suspect they had agents taking down license plate numbers at malls in key places.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

seashell

Post by seashell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:29 pm

I have a few friends who are also big fans of Mozart in the Jungle, so if you find a few shows that you like you might enjoy it. There were some documentaries on there as well.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Reasons to get it:
-You are super lazy or into instant-gratification so you typically buy individual items
-There is a specific deal you want that pays for some or all of the membership (e.g. I bought an unlocked Android phone for $60, about half off the retail price)

Not reasons to get it:
-Prime streaming video and music. Selection is extremely limited. Took about a month to watch what I wanted. Music is very hit or miss.
-If you are organized enough to group your orders so you usually get free shipping anyway

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 pm

This is so interesting. The tone of the other thread I linked is that Amazon is beyond not worth it and even irrelevant.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:44 pm

mega317 wrote:This is so interesting. The tone of the other thread I linked is that Amazon is beyond not worth it and even irrelevant.
Actually, I think they are fairly consistent. People who value prime value the free two day shipping convenience over the pricing of the goods.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Helo80 wrote:
jebmke wrote: I thought Amazon charged tax everywhere now (that has a sales tax). They didn't in our state early on. More convenient for them to charge the tax than having to keep track and file the use tax.

LOL --- we're not supposed to go political on this board, but Amazon's argument about sales tax was always weak to me. We all know they were using the sales tax thing and spending tons on their general counsel so that they could maintain an artificial price edge. Then, I look what Bezos says in public about societal issues and just smh.

In terms of the use tax, again, not to go political, but I was amazed at how few people that have all sorts of opinions on taxes had no idea what a "use tax" was. :annoyed
Items shipped from Amazon themselves shipped to PA are taxed. If shipped from vendors using Amazon, generally not taxed unless they are PA businesses. When selecting a supplier for a purchase, I consider all costs, including potential sales tax. All other factors being equal, the vendor who does not collect sales tax gets my business.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
So apart from the free shipping, am I missing something here? I thought this would be a media treasure trove bargain and it just looks like more of the same. Wanted to cut the cable on TV but will have to wait I guess. I hate the monthly charges, we are in a poor reception pocket even for local stations so it is a problem.
I have Prime and think it's about average. It is a little overpriced for what you get.

The free movie selection changes every month or two, so new stuff is added to the list while other movies are taken off. Same with the TV shows. If there's a specific movie I really want to watch, I just pay the 3 bucks to rent it and save myself a drive to the Redbox.

I'm not a fan of shopping, especially at large, crowded places like Walmart, so I've found the free shipping to be useful. It's nice being able to spend 8 bucks on something and have it arrive at my door 2 days later. I don't live in or anywhere near a big city, so sometimes if I want a particular item, Amazon is the easiest way to get it that doesn't involve driving several hours.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:51 pm

jebmke wrote:
mega317 wrote:This is so interesting. The tone of the other thread I linked is that Amazon is beyond not worth it and even irrelevant.
Actually, I think they are fairly consistent. People who value prime value the free two day shipping convenience over the pricing of the goods.
You might be right, I didn't go back and re-read. But many people cited free shipping from Walmart, Jet, etc. And more than a couple terse posts that amounted to "no" which hasn't happened here yet.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:54 pm

No, for me it isn't.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

coincollector

Post by coincollector » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 pm

I prefer my free shipping to be, well, free. Not $99 a year. Even if the alternative is waiting a few extra days for the items I ordered, then that is fine by me. The extra savings is what is more important to me. Also, Amazons' prices aren't nearly as competitive as they used to be. I can usually find a better deal elsewhere plus truly free shipping.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 pm

petiejoe wrote: * Prime Reading - again, you have to start with their selection and see if there's anything you're interested in. This is also really only valid if you use a Kindle (or really like reading books on your phone).
Not sure if you know that there are Kindle apps for Windows computers, Chromebooks and Android tablets. I would assume for Apple products too, but I don't know for sure.

SleepCity

Post by SleepCity » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 pm

coincollector wrote:I prefer my free shipping to be, well, free. Not $99 a year. Even if the alternative is waiting a few extra days for the items I ordered, then that is fine by me. The extra savings is what is more important to me. Also, Amazons' prices aren't nearly as competitive as they used to be. I can usually find a better deal elsewhere plus truly free shipping.
I'd rather have it delivered to me for 1 dollar extra than spend an entire saturday afternoon fighting traffic, crowds, gas prices and wear and tear on the car....but that's me.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:37 pm

We love Amazon Prime but do end up spending too much. Hey it's "free" shipping so let's order more!

Their prices are very good. Could I get better if I checked multiple websites? Yes, probably but my time is much more valuable than that. For consistently low prices, fast shipping and excellent service we think Prime is well worth it.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Totally worth it - we use it all the time and also for video. This site had me buy a Costco membership which both my wife and I absolutely hate. There is nothing at Costco worth driving out to dealing with. I can buy any time and have it brought to my doorstep.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Time is money.

I order stuff from Amazon Prime quite often. I once ordered a pair of shoelaces. I hate fighting the traffic and crowds at malls and shopping centers, even though I might be able to find the item in question for a lower price than Amazon has it listed for. There is a major mall 4 miles away from home that I set foot in about once per year. Prior to Amazon Prime, I was there maybe once per month.

Besides the convenience, my favorite thing about Amazon is that I can find the exact item I want and read reviews on it before I purchase it.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 pm

The posters from rural areas have a good point, very convenient just to order things. I do live near a Costco, and even there, after being a member for over twenty years, now I find I get through the store quickly,I am only looking for specific food items, not buying hard goods, and their clothes rarely.

I think as an occasional Amazon user, the $99 is probably a few dollars above break even for me considering shipping only. I was very disappointed in the video. I don't want to wait for certain videos to be available free, like most people, I think of a great movie and then want to see it. At 3.99 I am not that in need of instant gratification, I can probaby get it at the library.

So I won't be continuing after the free period. Meanwhile I will take that tip of watching the Bosch series, as I enjoy Connelly's novels, especially with the tibits of local L.A., flavor, reminds me of my living there for a couple of years in the late 70's,Reading the books, can almost see the smog in Burbank, feel the moist air of Santa Monica.

Thanks for the posts!

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I think it is worth it, and I can give an example just from this morning. Last week we went to visit the kids in our motorhome, and when I returned I noticed a missing chrome lug nut cover. I went on-line to the manufacturer and they had replacements for 4 bucks, but with an 18 buck shipping fee. Then I remembered Amazon Prime. Same item was nine bucks with free prime 2 day shipping. Now it will be here Monday afternoon at less than half of what I would have had to pay.
Add to that my Alexa and the availability of most music I care to listen to for the asking (literally!). Prime has some TV series that I have rewatched, so it is a series of little things that makes it worthwhile to me.
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Apologize if this was mentioned above as I did not read the other responses.

If you have kids I think it is a MUST. 2 parents working full time and having to get any shopping done is a breeze now with amazon. The amount of stuff available makes it so convenient to order anything. My wife and I literally spend a couple minutes every several days ordering whatever we need for the kids. Makes that aspect of parenting much easier. If those are shoes, pajamas, dresses, shorts, random educational stuff, etc...

Now handling all the boxes the stuff comes in is another issue all together. Almost wish they had a service to pick them up several days after delivery. That is a potential goldmine if someone can come up with an idea to have disposable shipping material that is ecofriendly to replace all the cardboard.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Hockey10 wrote:Time is money.

I order stuff from Amazon Prime quite often. I once ordered a pair of shoelaces. I hate fighting the traffic and crowds at malls and shopping centers, even though I might be able to find the item in question for a lower price than Amazon has it listed for. There is a major mall 4 miles away from home that I set foot in about once per year. Prior to Amazon Prime, I was there maybe once per month.

Besides the convenience, my favorite thing about Amazon is that I can find the exact item I want and read reviews on it before I purchase it.
Amazon Prime costs me $8.25 per month. Wife and I watch the Video more then anything else. Makes me question my Netflix subscription. I also am not one to go shopping. I basically leave the house to buy groceries. I don't care if I ever go to the mall (3 miles) again, or Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. If I can get a deal online, click. Great at Christmas I order family gifts and send right to their door - shipping already paid. Like Prime Music too.
Too soon old, too late smart.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

This nails it. Amazon is such a huge waste of time (and money). And it's very inconvenient. And the 3rd party sellers are nasty. And customer service is non-existent. Fake quality, fake quantity (just like Wholefoods). Etc. Paying a membership fee is beyond ludicrous.

bnes

Post by bnes » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Is it a deal? Well, follow the money. Prime is a prime driver of Amazon's profits (See https://www.fool.com/investing/general/ ... table.aspx ). So somebody's making money, and overall it's not the consumer. Prime is a huge tease, as there are a few high quality shows, books, and perks. But bundle up your shopping into more than the limit on free shipping, wait a few days, and you can do better without it.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:18 pm

It doesn't take a lot of time...

Family needs widget. Dad checks Amazon.com, Target.com, Jet.com, Google Express, or whatever applicable site. Sometimes Amazon is the winner or only option. Amazon cannot be beat for most diapers. A lot of random kid/baby/nursery/maternity items are often priced best at Amazon, especially compared to Babies R Us. Again, it's important to check the usual suspects. We check around every single time we order anything and accrued 167 orders on Amazon in 2016. A random page of orders was a toddler car seat, discounted gift card to GAP brands, SD card, kids toy, and diapers.

It also helps to set deal alerts on various deal aggregate sites. For example, I once got a giant bag of pistachios for $3. Amazon could not fulfill the order due to demand and gave me a $20 credit as compensation (without my asking).

Prime has been late often enough that I haven't paid to renew in about 13 months... They give a free month for a late package!

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 pm

100% worth it.
We order just about everything from Amazon, and get it in no more than 2 days. No having to drive or put the kids in the car.
Customer service is second to none- they refund you for pretty much anything, no questions asked (and often don't even want whatever it was back.)

Over the past month, we've also been doing Amazon fresh- all groceries are delivered to our front door, and my wife can do her grocery shopping from her phone in bed. Haven't been to shoprite since.

The streaming video and music is just icing on the cake. The free time for kids (an extra $2 a month) is enjoyed as well.

Prime is a no brainer, and I think pretty much all of retail (and even grocery stores now) should be worried.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
This nails it. Amazon is such a huge waste of time (and money). And it's very inconvenient. And the 3rd party sellers are nasty. And customer service is non-existent. Fake quality, fake quantity (just like Wholefoods). Etc. Paying a membership fee is beyond ludicrous.
Nice one. You take @Hockey10's pro-Amazon quote completely out of context so that you can make absurd claims. "Amazon is ... very inconvenient." Now I've heard it all.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:35 pm

For my family, we:

1) regularly order books and household items, even specialty items I need for household projects
2) watch Amazon TV pretty regularly, including PBS kids shows
3) listen to Amazon music over an Echo Dot attached to a nice speaker in the kitchen (Amazon Unlimited went on sale for $1/6mo - so we can listen to any song on demand, which is fun for my 3 year old. Pair that with an unlimited data plan on your phone and you have unlimited streaming music in your car too with the Amazon Music app - anyone paying for Sirius XM?)
4) order gifts for Christmas and birthdays for extended family, the shipping guarantee is nice around the holidays

The annual fee is worth the convenience for me. We are two working parents with a 3 year old and one on the way.

Importantly, we don't regularly shop at big stores. My favorite grocery store is ALDI, which I believes saves me approximately 30% on groceries, which easily covers Amazon Prime ($400/mo on groceries * 12 months * .30 = approx. $1440 saved at ALDI vs elsewhere). Say you wanted to pop in to Target to get your specialty item, but had to pick up a few groceries. I'd rather pick up my groceries at ALDI or the local fruit market and buy the specialty item on Amazon. Badabing.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:13 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
Nice one. You take @Hockey10's pro-Amazon quote completely out of context so that you can make absurd claims. "Amazon is ... very inconvenient." Now I've heard it all.
Are you seriously suggesting Amazon is convenient?! That's absolutely crazy!

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:22 am

Totally worth it. Amazon is a huge time saver. Cross check prices in stores easily with the app and regularly find nice savings. Amazon fire stick and video service is very good.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:24 am

My wife and I have separate Amazon accounts. She has Prime and I don't. When we shopped we saw that various items were priced higher in her account than mine. I guess that explains "free shipping" :annoyed
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 am

staythecourse wrote:Apologize if this was mentioned above as I did not read the other responses.

If you have kids I think it is a MUST. 2 parents working full time and having to get any shopping done is a breeze now with amazon. The amount of stuff available makes it so convenient to order anything. My wife and I literally spend a couple minutes every several days ordering whatever we need for the kids. Makes that aspect of parenting much easier. If those are shoes, pajamas, dresses, shorts, random educational stuff, etc...

Now handling all the boxes the stuff comes in is another issue all together. Almost wish they had a service to pick them up several days after delivery. That is a potential goldmine if someone can come up with an idea to have disposable shipping material that is ecofriendly to replace all the cardboard.

Good luck.
It's definitely a convenience but I wouldn't say it's a must.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

rob65

Post by rob65 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:51 am

anonenigma wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:
Some of the Amazon-created content is excellent. We really like Bosch, a detective series set in Los Angeles, and Mozart in the Jungle, about an eccentric symphony conductor modeled after Gustavo Dudamel. I believe that they have a lot of the old HBO shows, like The Wire, The Sopranos, etc. Depends what interests you.
They also have a lot of PBS series that I enjoy.

It's worth it for us between the free shipping and the video.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 am

i think it's funny how people who don't have it are certain that it's not worth it.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 am

I would have said no before I realized everything else they offer.

For years I purchased thing off Amazon and had no issue meeting the minimum for free shipping ($25-$35). My inlaws pay for it and I added my account as an authorized user, which have me accesss to almost everything they offer.

Recently started using their video app to stream free movies at home and on the go. definitely worth prime. The account holder (my in law) can actually download movies to their iPad/iPhone and watch without service while traveling. Very convinent! Haven't dabbled in the music but will eventually.

For free shipping, I vote no.
For everything else, I vote yes.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 am

miles monroe wrote:i think it's funny how people who don't have it are certain that it's not worth it.
Could you please elaborate.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 am

To me personally, it is not worth it if I compare the cost of shipping and the rental of the movies that I want to watch, if I do not have it. Nevertheless, I still have it because of the convenience.